New to Phoenix Area, Help!!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2017 11:52 AM

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

|

11/7/2017 12:00 PM

You can freeride almost anywhere in the desert around Phoenix. If you accidentally find yourself in someone's backyard, wave politely and leave. Check out the "mile markers" area on Hwy 74, just west of 211th Ave. (In Peoria, North of town, west of Lake Pleasant.)
There are miles and miles of open desert from there.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/7/2017 12:42 PM

Get a plate and an OHV tag. Tons of riding. There's box canyon off of US 60 just east of Florence Junction, riding in Star Valley, Preacher Canyon near Payson, Sycamore Creek off of the Beeline highway, Wildcat in Rio Verde off of Bartlett Lake road, and the boulders as mentioned above at mile marker 11.5 on the Carefree highway just west of I-17. To name a few....

|

Indecision is a choice

11/7/2017 12:57 PM

|

11/7/2017 2:11 PM

Don't bother with the desert unless it's a day after a big rain storm then the dirt is perfect. canyon raceway and ACP are both fun tracks. There's a spot off i10 towards tucson called Red rock or Pinal count air park area that got alot of free riding area.

|

11/7/2017 5:20 PM

There is lots of good desert riding but I haven't gone for so long I can't comment on which areas are still open.

As for tracks, we got:
Canyon MX Park in Peoria
Arizona Cycle Park in Buckeye
Motoland MX Park in Casa Grande
Ocotillo Raceway in Eloy
ET Motopark in San Tan Valley

www.gomxracing.com used to be a pretty active AZ MX site but it's essentially dead now.

|

11/7/2017 5:30 PM

Pro tip:

Make sure you check out AEO Powersports in Peoria or Chandler for all your riding needs. The guys that work there are really deep into the Moto scene here and I’m sure would be happy to recommend some good riding spots.

Like others have mentioned, desert riding is plentiful, but most of the year it’s brutally dry and dusty and makes for less than enjoyable riding. Monsoon season is cherished here due to the fact that you can go out and cut some nice corner and single tracks into the dirt without it turning into “moon dust”.

There’s some open desert riding right around Canyon MX park, and some hidden corner tracks, shoveled jumps over canals and washes, but be careful because I found out the hard way that it is state/federal land and they don’t allow motorized vehicles beyond the county roads.

Prescott has some great trail riding and I know of a few very secret trails that lead to some old hidden tracks that can be a blast to mess around on. If you’re ever in the area feel free to PM me on here and I can give you directions or GPS coordinates.

|

11/7/2017 8:13 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

Where are you located in the Phoenix area?

As mentioned above, there are a lot of places to ride here in AZ. Don't be scared of riding in the summer. It's hot, brutally hot - just take lots of water and get used to it. You're getting here at a nice time of the year. My favorite tracks are:

ACP, Motoland, and Canyon in that order. ET is only open in the winter and they aren't catering to MX much these days (more focused on sprint cars, etc). When ET is open, it is a fun track. Canyon is nice in the summer because they have lights for night riding and are located a little higher up in elevation thus making it 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley.

As far as trails, just make sure you have your bike registered and plated for AZ. Go to a title agency (Desert Title) and pay them. It costs $25 per year plus the title agency fee which is like $5. If you ride in any of the forest locations, you will need a day pass which are easy to get.

Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?). Anyway, this area is completely badass. Good mix of super tight trails, some large rocks (trials type stuff), wide open sand washes, tight turn sand washes, technical hill climbs, whoops, and just about everything. There is a reason they filmed those guys riding in that area. We also like Sycamore creek (upper and lower) and the Rolls OHV area. These are both on the 87 north (Beeline highway) going from Mesa to Payson. The Rolls OHV area is on your right when you pass the Bush highway exit. The Lower sycamore creek area is on the left off of the Bush Highway exit. This area has a little bit of everything as well - sand washes, tight trails, hill climbs, etc. Same goes for Rolls OHV.

There are other areas like Queen Valley, Box Canyon, Middle mountain, White tanks area. These areas are decent, but the ones I listed above are the best in my opinion. There are so many trails in these areas, you can ride for hours and never be on the same trail twice.

Take water, lots and lots of water. It's dry out here (except for July and August during monsoon season) and every breath you take, the dry air evaporates water from your lungs. You lose fluids just by breathing, not to mention being very active. I've been dehydrated before and it sucks.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

|

11/15/2017 10:40 AM

Falcon wrote:

You can freeride almost anywhere in the desert around Phoenix. If you accidentally find yourself in someone's backyard, wave politely and leave. Check out the "mile markers" area on Hwy 74, just west of 211th Ave. (In Peoria, North of town, west of Lake Pleasant.)
There are miles and miles of open desert from there.

Thanks for the advice, I'm getting a vibe that AZ is quite lenient when it comes to off road riding, so that's good! Any tips on parking once I reach this area? Thanks again for the info!

|

11/15/2017 10:45 AM

Mr. Ted wrote:

Get a plate and an OHV tag. Tons of riding. There's box canyon off of US 60 just east of Florence Junction, riding in Star Valley, Preacher Canyon near Payson, Sycamore Creek off of the Beeline highway, Wildcat in Rio Verde off of Bartlett Lake road, and the boulders as mentioned above at mile marker 11.5 on the Carefree highway just west of I-17. To name a few....

Damn thanks for all of the name drops, I'll have to do some further research!! For sure getting on that plate and OHV tag before I head out. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to link up at one of these spots, a guided tour from a local would be dope! Beers on me afterwards of course!!

|

11/15/2017 10:52 AM

JayBraap19 wrote:

Pro tip:

Make sure you check out AEO Powersports in Peoria or Chandler for all your riding needs. The guys that work there are really deep into the Moto scene here and I’m sure would be happy to recommend some good riding spots.

Like others have mentioned, desert riding is plentiful, but most of the year it’s brutally dry and dusty and makes for less than enjoyable riding. Monsoon season is cherished here due to the fact that you can go out and cut some nice corner and single tracks into the dirt without it turning into “moon dust”.

There’s some open desert riding right around Canyon MX park, and some hidden corner tracks, shoveled jumps over canals and washes, but be careful because I found out the hard way that it is state/federal land and they don’t allow motorized vehicles beyond the county roads.

Prescott has some great trail riding and I know of a few very secret trails that lead to some old hidden tracks that can be a blast to mess around on. If you’re ever in the area feel free to PM me on here and I can give you directions or GPS coordinates.

Nice I'll have to check them out, there's one about 19 miles from me. I believe Canyon MX is even closer, I'm looking to check that place out this week. It's nice to know there is some land to free ride near by! I'll definitely PM you about that and I really appreciate the offer. Feel free to PM me if you feel like hitting up one of these spots before I reach out to you!!

|

11/15/2017 10:57 AM

Anyone else have some input? I don't know know anyone in the area so I'm figuring this out as I go along. I will have the bike together here shortly, getting out this week for sure. If anyone wants to link up for a group ride I'd be down!! Also, if anyone has land I'd trade work for ride time!! Thanks again in advance!

|

11/15/2017 10:58 AM

OP, i'll be in Tucson this weekend and i'll be riding at MC Motorsports Sunday morning

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

11/15/2017 11:03 AM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

TbonesPop wrote:

Where are you located in the Phoenix area?

As mentioned above, there are a lot of places to ride here in AZ. Don't be scared of riding in the summer. It's hot, brutally hot - just take lots of water and get used to it. You're getting here at a nice time of the year. My favorite tracks are:

ACP, Motoland, and Canyon in that order. ET is only open in the winter and they aren't catering to MX much these days (more focused on sprint cars, etc). When ET is open, it is a fun track. Canyon is nice in the summer because they have lights for night riding and are located a little higher up in elevation thus making it 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley.

As far as trails, just make sure you have your bike registered and plated for AZ. Go to a title agency (Desert Title) and pay them. It costs $25 per year plus the title agency fee which is like $5. If you ride in any of the forest locations, you will need a day pass which are easy to get.

Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?). Anyway, this area is completely badass. Good mix of super tight trails, some large rocks (trials type stuff), wide open sand washes, tight turn sand washes, technical hill climbs, whoops, and just about everything. There is a reason they filmed those guys riding in that area. We also like Sycamore creek (upper and lower) and the Rolls OHV area. These are both on the 87 north (Beeline highway) going from Mesa to Payson. The Rolls OHV area is on your right when you pass the Bush highway exit. The Lower sycamore creek area is on the left off of the Bush Highway exit. This area has a little bit of everything as well - sand washes, tight trails, hill climbs, etc. Same goes for Rolls OHV.

There are other areas like Queen Valley, Box Canyon, Middle mountain, White tanks area. These areas are decent, but the ones I listed above are the best in my opinion. There are so many trails in these areas, you can ride for hours and never be on the same trail twice.

Take water, lots and lots of water. It's dry out here (except for July and August during monsoon season) and every breath you take, the dry air evaporates water from your lungs. You lose fluids just by breathing, not to mention being very active. I've been dehydrated before and it sucks.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

I'm in Surprise, looking at White Tank right now to give you and idea of where I'm at. Thanks for such a detailed response, I'm excited to check out some of these off road areas you mentioned, sounds insane!! I'm used to loamy and wet Ohio conditions so this is a whole new world to me! For sure not going to let the heat scare me off come summer, I'm looking forward to the experience! Thanks again for your help!

|

11/15/2017 11:04 AM

Falcon wrote:

You can freeride almost anywhere in the desert around Phoenix. If you accidentally find yourself in someone's backyard, wave politely and leave. Check out the "mile markers" area on Hwy 74, just west of 211th Ave. (In Peoria, North of town, west of Lake Pleasant.)
There are miles and miles of open desert from there.

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I'm getting a vibe that AZ is quite lenient when it comes to off road riding, so that's good! Any tips on parking once I reach this area? Thanks again for the info!

I remember parking my truck about 1/4 mile north of the highway at one of the mile markers. I could have sworn it was mile 17, but maybe Mr. Ted is correct and it is 11.5. I don't know, but it seemed like all of it was free game.
I did find an open mine over there, so be careful! You don't want to fall down a mine shaft. Stick to the roads and the trails until you know exactly where you are.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/15/2017 11:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 4:28 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

Get a hold of Gman... If you drop yer wallet kick it all the way to baseline if ya now what I mean.

|

11/15/2017 1:41 PM

I live in Tucson I need riding friends haha.. trying to get off the tracks and into off road stuff.

|

11/15/2017 4:02 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

TbonesPop wrote:

Where are you located in the Phoenix area?

As mentioned above, there are a lot of places to ride here in AZ. Don't be scared of riding in the summer. It's hot, brutally hot - just take lots of water and get used to it. You're getting here at a nice time of the year. My favorite tracks are:

ACP, Motoland, and Canyon in that order. ET is only open in the winter and they aren't catering to MX much these days (more focused on sprint cars, etc). When ET is open, it is a fun track. Canyon is nice in the summer because they have lights for night riding and are located a little higher up in elevation thus making it 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley.

As far as trails, just make sure you have your bike registered and plated for AZ. Go to a title agency (Desert Title) and pay them. It costs $25 per year plus the title agency fee which is like $5. If you ride in any of the forest locations, you will need a day pass which are easy to get.

Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?). Anyway, this area is completely badass. Good mix of super tight trails, some large rocks (trials type stuff), wide open sand washes, tight turn sand washes, technical hill climbs, whoops, and just about everything. There is a reason they filmed those guys riding in that area. We also like Sycamore creek (upper and lower) and the Rolls OHV area. These are both on the 87 north (Beeline highway) going from Mesa to Payson. The Rolls OHV area is on your right when you pass the Bush highway exit. The Lower sycamore creek area is on the left off of the Bush Highway exit. This area has a little bit of everything as well - sand washes, tight trails, hill climbs, etc. Same goes for Rolls OHV.

There are other areas like Queen Valley, Box Canyon, Middle mountain, White tanks area. These areas are decent, but the ones I listed above are the best in my opinion. There are so many trails in these areas, you can ride for hours and never be on the same trail twice.

Take water, lots and lots of water. It's dry out here (except for July and August during monsoon season) and every breath you take, the dry air evaporates water from your lungs. You lose fluids just by breathing, not to mention being very active. I've been dehydrated before and it sucks.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

"Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?)"

I don't live in Arizona, but is riding around Wildcat worth the drive (Coming in from San Diego)? That segment in Moto6 (I know the one you are talking about) looked like so much fun. I'm not one for rocks or super, super technical stuff - more so like jeep trails or easy to medium type single track with flow/small jumps and maybe elevation changes.

Thanks!

|

11/15/2017 4:34 PM

nolookpass wrote:

"Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?)"

I don't live in Arizona, but is riding around Wildcat worth the drive (Coming in from San Diego)? That segment in Moto6 (I know the one you are talking about) looked like so much fun. I'm not one for rocks or super, super technical stuff - more so like jeep trails or easy to medium type single track with flow/small jumps and maybe elevation changes.

Thanks!

Where these trails are located, it's a 7 hour drive from SD (it's the NE corner of the Phoenix area and you will be coming in from the I-8 on the southwest side of Phoenix) - so its the opposite side you come in from. It's a great area to ride, some of the best in AZ in my opinion. But I also know there are many great places to ride in CA too. It's great riding, I just don't know if its worth a 7 hour drive unless you stay overnight and ride a couple of days. You can camp in the area and stay for a couple of days.

You can find the super tight technical stuff, hill climbs and rocks to hop in this area. But the majority of the trails are cool, easy to medium single track with small jumps, whoops, good flow, etc. Trail 503 IIRC is one of the best for this. I think 413 ridgeline trail is another one. The trails I'm talking about are wide enough and smooth enough to get a 4 seat Rzr down but it's tight and slow in the Rzr. It's perfect for what you are looking for IMO. SO much fun.

It's just like what you saw in Moto 6 the Movie.

|

11/15/2017 5:24 PM

TbonesPop wrote:

Where are you located in the Phoenix area?

As mentioned above, there are a lot of places to ride here in AZ. Don't be scared of riding in the summer. It's hot, brutally hot - just take lots of water and get used to it. You're getting here at a nice time of the year. My favorite tracks are:

ACP, Motoland, and Canyon in that order. ET is only open in the winter and they aren't catering to MX much these days (more focused on sprint cars, etc). When ET is open, it is a fun track. Canyon is nice in the summer because they have lights for night riding and are located a little higher up in elevation thus making it 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley.

As far as trails, just make sure you have your bike registered and plated for AZ. Go to a title agency (Desert Title) and pay them. It costs $25 per year plus the title agency fee which is like $5. If you ride in any of the forest locations, you will need a day pass which are easy to get.

Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?). Anyway, this area is completely badass. Good mix of super tight trails, some large rocks (trials type stuff), wide open sand washes, tight turn sand washes, technical hill climbs, whoops, and just about everything. There is a reason they filmed those guys riding in that area. We also like Sycamore creek (upper and lower) and the Rolls OHV area. These are both on the 87 north (Beeline highway) going from Mesa to Payson. The Rolls OHV area is on your right when you pass the Bush highway exit. The Lower sycamore creek area is on the left off of the Bush Highway exit. This area has a little bit of everything as well - sand washes, tight trails, hill climbs, etc. Same goes for Rolls OHV.

There are other areas like Queen Valley, Box Canyon, Middle mountain, White tanks area. These areas are decent, but the ones I listed above are the best in my opinion. There are so many trails in these areas, you can ride for hours and never be on the same trail twice.

Take water, lots and lots of water. It's dry out here (except for July and August during monsoon season) and every breath you take, the dry air evaporates water from your lungs. You lose fluids just by breathing, not to mention being very active. I've been dehydrated before and it sucks.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

nolookpass wrote:

"Our favorite laces to desert ride are: Wildcat staging area off of Bartlett lake damn road. The trails in this location are fantastic. This is the area where they filmed Destry Abbott and Taylor Robert ripping up the AZ desert in Moto the movie (Moto 6, I think?)"

I don't live in Arizona, but is riding around Wildcat worth the drive (Coming in from San Diego)? That segment in Moto6 (I know the one you are talking about) looked like so much fun. I'm not one for rocks or super, super technical stuff - more so like jeep trails or easy to medium type single track with flow/small jumps and maybe elevation changes.

Thanks!

TbonesPop wrote:

Where these trails are located, it's a 7 hour drive from SD (it's the NE corner of the Phoenix area and you will be coming in from the I-8 on the southwest side of Phoenix) - so its the opposite side you come in from. It's a great area to ride, some of the best in AZ in my opinion. But I also know there are many great places to ride in CA too. It's great riding, I just don't know if its worth a 7 hour drive unless you stay overnight and ride a couple of days. You can camp in the area and stay for a couple of days.

You can find the super tight technical stuff, hill climbs and rocks to hop in this area. But the majority of the trails are cool, easy to medium single track with small jumps, whoops, good flow, etc. Trail 503 IIRC is one of the best for this. I think 413 ridgeline trail is another one. The trails I'm talking about are wide enough and smooth enough to get a 4 seat Rzr down but it's tight and slow in the Rzr. It's perfect for what you are looking for IMO. SO much fun.

It's just like what you saw in Moto 6 the Movie.

You can camp at the wild cat staging area? It looks like it's in a huge state park, does this mean free camping? For sure looking to do some weekend long trips.

|

11/15/2017 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 6:23 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

You can camp at the wild cat staging area? It looks like it's in a huge state park, does this mean free camping? For sure looking to do some weekend long trips.

Yes you can camp there, but there are better places to camp in the area where you will be riding. You don't have to stage in the staging area. You can drive back in the power line road (turn off on right before you go down to the Wildcat staging area) and camp anywhere back in that area - tent camping only as the road is too bumpy for a camper. If you camp in a camper, stay in the Wildcat Staging area. Just pick up a Tonto forest pass before you go in - that's all you have to pay. There is a CC payment kiosk on the left hand side of the road when you get on Bartlett Lake dam road (it's hard to miss).

FYI - you can also camp at Bartlett lake which is just down the road and that's a beautiful lake. You can ride trails from the lake (via Verde River access) back up to the trails (its a long sand wash, but there are lots of trails off of it). That long sand wash that goes from the lake to the trails riding area was the sand wash shown in Moto 3 the movie BTW.

The sand wash is trail 413. If you just stay on trail 413 the whole way it will take you to the Wildcat staging area.


**EDIT** It was Moto the Movie 3 that had Taylor Robert and Destry Abbott ripping it up out in AZ, not Moto 6.

|

11/15/2017 5:41 PM

drenmaster wrote:

I live in Tucson I need riding friends haha.. trying to get off the tracks and into off road stuff.

Mx motorsports Park Sunday morning

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

11/15/2017 5:47 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Get a hold of Gman... If you drop yer wallet kick it all the way to baseline if ya now what I mean.

Look out for Cockbobber, if there is a bush around he might snag you! grin
Photo

|

11/15/2017 6:56 PM

TheLostOtter wrote:

There is lots of good desert riding but I haven't gone for so long I can't comment on which areas are still open.

As for tracks, we got:
Canyon MX Park in Peoria
Arizona Cycle Park in Buckeye
Motoland MX Park in Casa Grande
Ocotillo Raceway in Eloy
ET Motopark in San Tan Valley

www.gomxracing.com used to be a pretty active AZ MX site but it's essentially dead now.

Ocotillo has been closed for years and ET opens for 1 day a week for 3 months a year simply to not lose permitting for the car track.

|

Indecision is a choice

11/15/2017 7:16 PM

MC is barely an MX track, I was extremely disappointed when I got here in May. Sad. Phoenix area tracks are much better options/worth your time.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

11/15/2017 7:50 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

I am new to the Phoenix area and I'd love to gain some insight on the Moto scene. I did some searching on the vital forums but I am still left with some questions.

Some searching online has led me to all of the private motocross tracks in the area. Is there a local forum for the Moto scene here? For example in Ohio we have pitracer.com which allows everyone to connect.

Furthermore, I am quite interested in finding areas to legally freeride. I hear these tales of legit areas to ride where people go out in groups and tear shit up. I'm looking for anything to expand. I'm talking trails, mountains, planes, dunes, you name it!

Anyone out there that can give me some insight? Thanks in advance!!

BobbyM wrote:

Get a hold of Gman... If you drop yer wallet kick it all the way to baseline if ya now what I mean.

G-man wrote:

Look out for Cockbobber, if there is a bush around he might snag you! grin
Photo

Awesome.... Treble hooks are the best gman.

|

11/15/2017 9:26 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Get a hold of Gman... If you drop yer wallet kick it all the way to baseline if ya now what I mean.

G-man wrote:

Look out for Cockbobber, if there is a bush around he might snag you! grin
Photo

BobbyM wrote:

Awesome.... Treble hooks are the best gman.

Check! grin

|

11/18/2017 10:45 AM

TbonesPop wrote:

Where these trails are located, it's a 7 hour drive from SD (it's the NE corner of the Phoenix area and you will be coming in from the I-8 on the southwest side of Phoenix) - so its the opposite side you come in from. It's a great area to ride, some of the best in AZ in my opinion. But I also know there are many great places to ride in CA too. It's great riding, I just don't know if its worth a 7 hour drive unless you stay overnight and ride a couple of days. You can camp in the area and stay for a couple of days.

You can find the super tight technical stuff, hill climbs and rocks to hop in this area. But the majority of the trails are cool, easy to medium single track with small jumps, whoops, good flow, etc. Trail 503 IIRC is one of the best for this. I think 413 ridgeline trail is another one. The trails I'm talking about are wide enough and smooth enough to get a 4 seat Rzr down but it's tight and slow in the Rzr. It's perfect for what you are looking for IMO. SO much fun.

It's just like what you saw in Moto 6 the Movie.

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

You can camp at the wild cat staging area? It looks like it's in a huge state park, does this mean free camping? For sure looking to do some weekend long trips.

TbonesPop wrote:

Yes you can camp there, but there are better places to camp in the area where you will be riding. You don't have to stage in the staging area. You can drive back in the power line road (turn off on right before you go down to the Wildcat staging area) and camp anywhere back in that area - tent camping only as the road is too bumpy for a camper. If you camp in a camper, stay in the Wildcat Staging area. Just pick up a Tonto forest pass before you go in - that's all you have to pay. There is a CC payment kiosk on the left hand side of the road when you get on Bartlett Lake dam road (it's hard to miss).

FYI - you can also camp at Bartlett lake which is just down the road and that's a beautiful lake. You can ride trails from the lake (via Verde River access) back up to the trails (its a long sand wash, but there are lots of trails off of it). That long sand wash that goes from the lake to the trails riding area was the sand wash shown in Moto 3 the movie BTW.

The sand wash is trail 413. If you just stay on trail 413 the whole way it will take you to the Wildcat staging area.


**EDIT** It was Moto the Movie 3 that had Taylor Robert and Destry Abbott ripping it up out in AZ, not Moto 6.

Any tips on tire set up for these types of sandy areas? Right now I'm running a Bridgestone M403 front and M404 rear tire, an intermediate terrain set up. I figured this set up wouldn't be too bad for some free riding, but should I look into a different set up before heading out to the sand wash or similar areas? Thanks!

|

11/18/2017 3:04 PM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

You can camp at the wild cat staging area? It looks like it's in a huge state park, does this mean free camping? For sure looking to do some weekend long trips.

TbonesPop wrote:

Yes you can camp there, but there are better places to camp in the area where you will be riding. You don't have to stage in the staging area. You can drive back in the power line road (turn off on right before you go down to the Wildcat staging area) and camp anywhere back in that area - tent camping only as the road is too bumpy for a camper. If you camp in a camper, stay in the Wildcat Staging area. Just pick up a Tonto forest pass before you go in - that's all you have to pay. There is a CC payment kiosk on the left hand side of the road when you get on Bartlett Lake dam road (it's hard to miss).

FYI - you can also camp at Bartlett lake which is just down the road and that's a beautiful lake. You can ride trails from the lake (via Verde River access) back up to the trails (its a long sand wash, but there are lots of trails off of it). That long sand wash that goes from the lake to the trails riding area was the sand wash shown in Moto 3 the movie BTW.

The sand wash is trail 413. If you just stay on trail 413 the whole way it will take you to the Wildcat staging area.


**EDIT** It was Moto the Movie 3 that had Taylor Robert and Destry Abbott ripping it up out in AZ, not Moto 6.

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

Any tips on tire set up for these types of sandy areas? Right now I'm running a Bridgestone M403 front and M404 rear tire, an intermediate terrain set up. I figured this set up wouldn't be too bad for some free riding, but should I look into a different set up before heading out to the sand wash or similar areas? Thanks!

I grew up in Phoenix, this tire combo will be really good!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

11/19/2017 7:15 AM

Moto-Anonymous wrote:

Any tips on tire set up for these types of sandy areas? Right now I'm running a Bridgestone M403 front and M404 rear tire, an intermediate terrain set up. I figured this set up wouldn't be too bad for some free riding, but should I look into a different set up before heading out to the sand wash or similar areas? Thanks!

That tire set up should be good, just know you will leave with less rubber on themgrin

We run 12-13 psi to avoid getting flats.

Enjoy!

|