New to Dirt bikes.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2018 11:05 AM

Hey all, I’m a brand new rider and I just bought a 92 CR 125. I took it out yesterday for the first time, and it fouled two plugs. My fuel ratio is 4 gallons of gas to one pint of 2 stoke oil. Honestly I’m not sure what that is, but my brother runs that in his 250 big bore. I just want to know if it’s my riding style, (not to sound like a puss, but I’m afraid of my bike), or if it’s my ratio, the Moto shop gave me my plugs, so I know those are good. Thanks for the tips in advance. Also if anyone has any tips or advice for a new rider, please feel free to share, I can handle criticism.

|

10/14/2018 11:08 AM

If you don't keep the rpms up while ridding you will foul plugs a lot.
Your mix is about 41:1.

Paw Paw

|

10/14/2018 11:13 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Paw Paw

^^^this^^^

I had the same problem when I got my first 2 stroke in 1972. Don’t be afraid to rev it. They are meant to take it.

|

10/14/2018 11:17 AM

Get a ratio rite, it's useful for mixing gas and measuring out transmission oil.
Speaking of which, hows the transmission oil level? Might have a bad right side crank seal and its sucking up extra oil. A 125 should be ran around 32:1 but with you being new (and thus slow) 40:1 is fine.
Remember it's a 2 stroke, it needs to rev. If it's not in the powerband you ain't revving high enough.

|

10/14/2018 11:32 AM

If a website ruins a sport for you then you never really loved it

|

10/14/2018 11:33 AM

Post up some pictures ..would be curious what shape this ‘92 is in..

|

10/14/2018 11:50 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Paw Paw

Assuming 128 ounces in a gallon, 16 ounces in a pint, isn’t his ratio 32:1?

|

10/14/2018 11:50 AM

Welcome Nathan ... when you have time you need to check the jetting on the carb. Have your brother or someone that knows what they're doing help you. Look up the stock jet settings and compare them to what you have.
Used bikes usually have some creative ideas about proper jetting.

|

10/14/2018 11:58 AM

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/14/2018 1:03 PM

Photo
Photo
|

10/14/2018 1:07 PM

Thanks for the advice y’all, I will definitely take everything into consideration accept for mr negative... lol... funny thing is my brother tells me to get on the pipe, so hopefully my fuel ratio is good for now, I have a fork seal that went bad, so I have to replace that before I go out again

|

10/14/2018 1:09 PM

Congrats on the bike, to answer your question the plugs will likely foul until you get more used to the bike and can open it up more. I love the way those Crs look, good luck with it

|

10/14/2018 1:28 PM

Thanks, I’m really excited about it, it does run good when the plugs aren’t fouled... lol... my brother rode it yesterday, and told me that it’s all rider error, so I guess I have al lot to learn. I really do appreciate all the advice, if anyone has anything else they would like to add , such as equipment that a new rider should get, habits that should be broken or gained. My brother is helping me as much as he can, but he is also as busy as I am. Again thanks for the advice.

|

10/14/2018 1:38 PM

Nathan_Pederson wrote:

Thanks, I’m really excited about it, it does run good when the plugs aren’t fouled... lol... my brother rode it yesterday, and ...more

Invest in a good helmet and boots, those are the most important. Theres a big debate on neck braces so look into that. Many also wear chest protectors. Buy the gary semics practice manual or some of his videos so you won’t develop bad habits. He can get a little boring but he really knows his stuff and its worth it to commit to learning proper techniques. Just have fun with it!

|

10/14/2018 1:43 PM

When going slow, pull in the clutch and rev it once in a while to clean it out so it don't load up and foul your plug. Don't know if u r doing that, but I have friends that putt on their 250s and don't clean out and foul plugs also..

|

10/14/2018 1:54 PM

Run 32:1. Be on the pipe. 2 strokes are full throttle or no throttle

|

10/14/2018 3:36 PM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/15/2018 10:05 AM

Thanks y’all... ok bike wise, what is the best thing to do first, or upgrade to do. The levers are already upgraded and the plastics, but other than that, I don’t know much about it. I changed out the case oil and checked the radiator level...my front fork started leaking on my first run, so I ordered a new set for the one side. If there is anything else that a new rider needs to know, I all ears... I will be getting some boots and gear on Friday, already bought a new helmet and gloves.

|

10/15/2018 10:14 AM

Nathan_Pederson wrote:

Thanks y’all... ok bike wise, what is the best thing to do first, or upgrade to do. The levers are already upgraded and the ...more

I wouldn't do much more on the bike for now. If I remember correctly the '92 125 had a great engine. Looks like you're on the right track! Good luck

|