New to Dallas, getting back into the sport

Gagehawkes
Hey guys,

Just moved outside of Dallas to Irving in August from Maine for work. Used to be heavy into motocross up until about 8 years ago (B class). Still have an 05 kx125, and 14 yz250 that i pit ride with (about once a year). Both bikes are back are Maine and I’m thinking of picking up a newer 250f or another two stroke.

Real thing is, none of my buddies I work with down here are into motocross or anything like that. Looking for some people that like to ride and don’t mind adding another guy to the group, or if you have a bike for sale I might be interested. I don’t have a truck down here, just a rental car, as I’m only here until February until I go back to maine. Finding myself bored on the weekends or working, or drinking beer at the apartment pool, or spending money at the bar.

I brought my tools and riding gear down to make myself get back out on the track. I also like hunting and fishing and brought some of my guns to get after some hogs. I do enjoy my share of cold ones too, Texas has some great beer.

Also I apologize if this isn’t in the right section haha.

Thanks!
Gage
|
ktm300hater
9/22/2018 9:49pm
Lots of moto around DFW. Also if you like off-road the TORN series is good. The next race is this coming weekend at a property in Boyd which is westish of Ft Worth. The Texas winter series will kick off in January.
Paw Paw 271
9/22/2018 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 11:01pm
On Oct 6 & 7 go to SWAN MX in Tyler Texas and see some real Pros and local racers at the Pro Challenge race.
Great track, lots of bikes and a lot of prize money available. You will get a good feel for what MX is here in Texas.
Here is a link...http://www.swanmx.com/texas-pro-challenge/
Paw Paw
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
9/23/2018 8:32am
Gage, what age group are you looking for? We have a bunch of over 40 guys who ride weekly, a lot at Village Creek near you .
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
9/23/2018 9:16am
Lots of great riding in or near DFW at tracks that hold regular practice and semi-regular races. Here are the tracks I like the most that you should look at.

Village Creek - Great option for you if you're in Irving as it is on the south side of Ft Worth.
River Valley - Another great option for you as it is in Boyd just northwest of Ft Worth.
Oak Hill - Not as close as Village Creek or River Valley for you but they have a couple of different tracks now and their main track can be really nice. It has some sand in the bottom part of the main track.
Burleson MX - Just south of Ft Worth. Old school track out of the 1970's. If you're looking for big jumps and air time this is not the track for you but it has killer dirt and is loads of fun. It is a unique track that everyone should try at least once if they can.

Some tracks that are a little further away.
Johnsonville MX Farm - Probably about 2 hours away for you to the East but it is a great track with great dirt.
Swan Cycle Park - A couple hours away but this is probably the best track in Texas.
Nocona MX - Just under a couple hours away north in the small town of Nocona. No natural elevation here but it is a fun track with excellent dirt. The dirt is some what sandy.

There are some riding compounds/training facilities that I've never been to and I'm sure some tracks I'm not thinking of but those are most of the main tracks around. It is tough for me to find time to go to a track to ride right now otherwise I'd try to help you out more. We do have a great vintage motocross club TVRC (Texas Vintage Racing Club) which has classes for 2 strokes as new as 2008. It is very laid back and fun.

The Shop

Gagehawkes
9/23/2018 9:38am
Graybeard wrote:
Gage, what age group are you looking for? We have a bunch of over 40 guys who ride weekly, a lot at Village Creek near you...
Gage, what age group are you looking for? We have a bunch of over 40 guys who ride weekly, a lot at Village Creek near you .
I appreciate the responses! I’ve spent some time on YouTube checking out what all the tracks look like. I have a few jobs coming up in Hawkins and Houston so I should be able to check out quite a bit.

I’m 23 but I’ll ride with whoever.

That pro race looks pretty sweet, up in Maine they just had the Racer X Maine Event at the local track Mx207. Lots more choices on riding down here haha.

I’ll buzz around the forum some more but I’m trying to park myself on a ‘13 and newer 250f. No preference really on make. Through high school and colleg I worked at a KTM/Polaris dealer but I really like Yamaha’s, and when I stopped racing I had been on an an 06 crf250r and 07 kx250f. Not much seat time on the new fuel injected bikes, except around the lot after working on a customers.
RPM68
9/23/2018 9:43am
Gagehawkes wrote:
I appreciate the responses! I’ve spent some time on YouTube checking out what all the tracks look like. I have a few jobs coming up in...
I appreciate the responses! I’ve spent some time on YouTube checking out what all the tracks look like. I have a few jobs coming up in Hawkins and Houston so I should be able to check out quite a bit.

That pro race looks pretty sweet, up in Maine they just had the Racer X Maine Event at the local track Mx207. Lots more choices on riding down here haha.

I’ll buzz around the forum some more but I’m trying to park myself on a ‘13 and newer 250f. No preference really on make. Through high school and colleg I worked at a KTM/Polaris dealer but I really like Yamaha’s, and when I stopped racing I had been on an an 06 crf250r and 07 kx250f. Not much seat time on the new fuel injected bikes, except around the lot after working on a customers.
If you’re looking for a shop to make your new home, come see me at Cycle Center of Denton. We have a killer crew that rides a mix of moto and off-road! Welcome to DFW!

Hit me up on the gram! @skippy168
Gagehawkes
9/23/2018 9:58am
RPM68 wrote:
If you’re looking for a shop to make your new home, come see me at Cycle Center of Denton. We have a killer crew that rides...
If you’re looking for a shop to make your new home, come see me at Cycle Center of Denton. We have a killer crew that rides a mix of moto and off-road! Welcome to DFW!

Followed, I’m @gagehawkes
ktm300hater
9/23/2018 11:37am
Gagehawkes wrote:
I appreciate the responses! I’ve spent some time on YouTube checking out what all the tracks look like. I have a few jobs coming up in...

RPM68 wrote:
If you’re looking for a shop to make your new home, come see me at Cycle Center of Denton. We have a killer crew that rides...

When did you go to Denton. You were in Houston not that long ago?
honda341
9/23/2018 12:21pm
When did you go to Denton. You were in Houston not that long ago?
Oh shit!!! Is this Mr. Eppers? Damn, live on MXCRAZY/TXMotocross. Another great track to hit up is Greenville MX. It is in Greenville, TX, imagine that. Good dirt and a fun lay out. Prep is usually prime.
TejasTJ
9/23/2018 3:59pm
If you want some close trails to mess around on, Trophy Club Park is ok. The mx track is a joke though.

Oak Hill will be your best bet for a good MX track with great dirt that’s not to far of a drive for you.
kunk
Fantasy
3031st
9/23/2018 4:01pm
A not so great track, but really close to you is Shady Grove. Shady definitely applies.
Shawn142
9/23/2018 8:42pm
Texplex Park around Venus just built a new MX track, it looks pretty good from the pictures. Also South Central MX is semi-metroplex. You have a boat load of options, my personal favorite was Underground MX. Very high quality track last time I was there.
9/24/2018 4:23am
My son, and I did a bunch of videos about some of the local tracks. YouTube racingfortheson and you can see them. They are e few years old, going to update them next year. There are so many tracks within 2hrs of DFW. Try them all. Never hurt to try a track out. Seems like northeast Texas moto is strange about tracks. Once someone starts hating on a track because of something, it spreads like wildfire. So make your own mind up about a track instead of just listening to random riders.
Gagehawkes
10/6/2018 5:46pm
Hey guys, I picked up a 2011 crf250r. Looks really clean, fresh tires, pro circuit suspension, and a yoshi full system. Half assed set the sag tonight on my apartment balcony using the “measure” tool on my iPhone. And changed all the fluids. Picked up 5 gal of T4, an ez up, a trailer for my car, a cooler and some camp chairs.

Going to hit up burleson tomorrow if the weather holds out just to get a feel for how out of shape I am. If any of you are there I’ll be the only car with Maine license plates, feel free to swing by!
Denn700
10/7/2018 1:02am
Are any of these Dallas area tracks open during the week? I travel a lot to Dalllas and would love to ride.

Post a reply to: New to Dallas, getting back into the sport

The Latest