Help with New seat cover

Related:
Create New Tag

11/26/2018 6:40 PM

I bought a 2018 crf 250r at the end of September. I have Only put 4 hours on it. I bought a gripper seat that comes with the foam bump.

Do I buy a new seat and put the cover on it our do I take off the stock seat cover that is pretty and perfect and use that seat?

Another suggestion was putting the new seat cover right over the old one.

|

11/27/2018 7:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2018 7:57 AM

You'll need to remove the stock cover. At least on my Suzuki's the cover was stapled on. So just remove all the staples and it comes right off. I have always used the method that Rocky Mountain demonstrates here and have never had an issue! Honestly, it's easier than installing graphics IMO but I've only done it a couple times. I believe your most difficult task will be to get that Bump exactly where you like it.

|

11/27/2018 8:21 AM

Another vote for removing staples and seat cover.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

11/27/2018 8:43 AM

I've never taken a stock seat cover off, just put it over the old one. I have not noticed any difference. Save some time!

|

11/27/2018 9:00 AM

I like to leave the stock cover on to help keep the foam a little more water proof. If the cover you got has any seams with stitching it will let water in way quicker. But having a bump it seems to work better gluing it to the foam.

|

11/27/2018 2:33 PM

As a guy that works for a graphics/seat cover company. I never remove my stock seat cover. I like the fact that if for whatever reason I rip my seat cover, I still have the stock one there to keep from tearing the foam. I typically change my seat 4-5 times a year (We use my bike for new colorways for graphics and seats or if we just want to test material) and never have any issue with the stock seat being in my way or causing any issues.

|

11/27/2018 2:47 PM

I keep the stock cover on too and have found that if you staple the front and back first and then pull down the sides it helps prevent wrinkles.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/27/2018 3:05 PM

I'm gonna try with the stock seat cover. Post pics when I'm done.

|

11/27/2018 4:08 PM

The pneumatic staple gun from harbor freight makes seat covers easy, uses T50 staples and its dirt cheap

|

11/27/2018 5:09 PM

I always remove the stock seat cover.
1 ) The two covers will slide on each other slightly, compromising your "gripper" qualities if you do not.
2 ) Two seat covers weight more.

Nitpicking, for sure, but I just feel better about myself when I do it right.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/27/2018 7:09 PM

Renner153 wrote:

As a guy that works for a graphics/seat cover company. I never remove my stock seat cover. I like the fact that if for whatever reason I rip my seat cover, I still have the stock one there to keep from tearing the foam. I typically change my seat 4-5 times a year (We use my bike for new colorways for graphics and seats or if we just want to test material) and never have any issue with the stock seat being in my way or causing any issues.

Where I learned to leave the stock cover intact....
It’s a nice “seal” to the OEM foam if you’re ok with it. Plus, you double your thickness. Renner153 didn’t tell me this personally, but a very reputable guy in the business , back when One Industries was strong, passed it on to me. Worked well for me, but some of you ride far more than I get to. Hopefully this helps, I ride twice a week at best, 3 times a month minimum. Good luck!

|

11/27/2018 7:11 PM

Pgd09yz450 wrote:

The pneumatic staple gun from harbor freight makes seat covers easy, uses T50 staples and its dirt cheap

This as well.... makes installation a breeze. Plus the gun itself will last forever. Not like you’re gonna use it to make a living......

|

11/27/2018 10:50 PM

If the seat cover is not ripped/torn I prefer to add cover over existing cover, especially if the replacement cover has the sowed on gripper strips.I replaced a sowed on strips gripper cover and had to wait a couple days for the foam to dry out and louse a few pounds. Not a fan of that style mainly cause they are not water proof and they pull your pants down worse than the solid gripper covers,

|

11/28/2018 5:45 AM

We recommend to remove the stock or existing seat cover when installing a new one. However there are a number of people that like the feel of two seat covers on there bike.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks

Travis

|