New rule-no more sponsor plugs on the podium!

bents
Fantasy
909th
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 4:16pm
I know this has been mentioned before, but for the love of God can we institute a rule outlawing the absolutely unnecessary repetitive plugging of the same fucking sponsors week after fucking week?? We ALL know who is sponsoring the riders, the teams-even the most uninformed can see that. The series is awesome, the TV is awesome, the racing is killing it-now, memo to the riders-TELL US SOMETHING!! ARE YOU PISSED? DID YOUR BIKE SUCK? HOW ABOUT THE OTHER RIDERS?

I just fast forward thru those podium interviews-they are getting so fucking bad. I used to read similar threads to this and ignore them, but it is getting too painful. Ugh.
|
jms217
2/20/2011 9:02am
bents wrote:
I know this has been mentioned before, but for the love of God can we institute a rule outlawing the absolutely unnecessary repetitive plugging of the...
I know this has been mentioned before, but for the love of God can we institute a rule outlawing the absolutely unnecessary repetitive plugging of the same fucking sponsors week after fucking week?? We ALL know who is sponsoring the riders, the teams-even the most uninformed can see that. The series is awesome, the TV is awesome, the racing is killing it-now, memo to the riders-TELL US SOMETHING!! ARE YOU PISSED? DID YOUR BIKE SUCK? HOW ABOUT THE OTHER RIDERS?

I just fast forward thru those podium interviews-they are getting so fucking bad. I used to read similar threads to this and ignore them, but it is getting too painful. Ugh.
you must not have much of a life if you're complaining about this and it causes you pain.Dry who cares if the plug their sponsors?
2/20/2011 9:03am
No Sponsors No Series Is That What You Want ????
Mstock
2/20/2011 9:05am
I liked Stewarts heat race podium speach.
jmar
2/20/2011 9:05am
It's what pays the bills pal.

You want to hear what the riders think? Three are plenty of other news sources that are conducting the interviews you're looking for.

The Shop

pilotdude
2/20/2011 9:08am
I defer to Flarider on this but I wish there was some way that TV could put up the racer's sponsors on the screen so the racer could just talk about the race. It sounds so cheap and phony when all they do up there is spout off a list of sponsors.
Alex
2/20/2011 9:12am
Watch a F1 or a MotoGP interview and they seem to be able to manage to talk without hawking some motor oil or sugary drink. SX interviews are a complete turnoff.
2/20/2011 9:43am
They are terrible at it. Stewart's and Reed's interviews were good last night though. It just gets me all awkward feeling when they deliberately plug a long list of sponsors in at the end of a question that relates to nothing they are plugging.
prillernut
2/20/2011 9:49am
Mstock wrote:
I liked Stewarts heat race podium speach.
B DUB 333 wrote:
X2
Ddavis wrote:
X3
yeah, he had me going "WTF" Blink , but it was good - "keeping it real".

And Chad on the podium was awesome - he was one happy dude!
Sunhouse
2/20/2011 9:55am
I can´t believe people think it´s OK that the riders f@ck us over as fans. WHY do American SX/MX demand so much more sponsor mentioning as opposed to for example F1 or WRC? It´s complete BS and some people in this thread accept it.

Q: "what happened at the start"?
A: "yeah, you know just want to thank......"

THAT IS NOT AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!!
It pisses me off. I still laugh at Paul Malin´s comments after Alessi´s 1st moto interview at the USGP last year. You could tell Emig was embarrassed by it too, the difference between the two series was all too obvious with the BS sponsor flagging.

I blame home schooling - no shit!
burnside
2/20/2011 10:01am
bents wrote:
I know this has been mentioned before, but for the love of God can we institute a rule outlawing the absolutely unnecessary repetitive plugging of the...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS.

And for those of you saying 'no sponsers, no series' etc, thats nonsense. Having your company name reeled of a list in such an insincere robotic manor will not sell more bikes/tires/clothes/drinks... all it does is make the elite athletes in our sport look like dumb, thick, imbeciles. Its terrible. I think podium speeches and generally putting more personality into MX is one last area we could really make some progress in.
Mstock
2/20/2011 10:05am
I wait at the edge of my seat to hear athletes and celebrities mention a brand or product name. I then rush out and purchase said product regardless if I need the shit or not.

They really think this is how it works? To funny.
MX558
2/20/2011 10:07am
Isn't it a AMA rule to name them ? I know I've seen a interview with KW where he said they get fined if they don't.
downandup
2/20/2011 10:10am
They should be able to give shout out to their sponsors all they want. They pay the bills!

But, it's the interviewers fault that the speeches are so lame. The questions are ridiculously boring. Same questions over and over again.
Sunhouse
2/20/2011 11:09am
bents wrote:

burnside wrote:
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS. And for those of you saying 'no sponsers, no series' etc, thats nonsense. Having your company name reeled of a list...

And for those of you saying 'no sponsers, no series' etc, thats nonsense. Having your company name reeled of a list in such an insincere robotic manor will not sell more bikes/tires/clothes/drinks... all it does is make the elite athletes in our sport look like dumb, thick, imbeciles. Its terrible. I think podium speeches and generally putting more personality into MX is one last area we could really make some progress in.
I agree 100%. People keep talking about making the sport more professional. There is NOTHING as unprofessional as the current AMA podium sponsor speeches. If I saw this and had a race team asking for sponsorship I´d tell them to F-off or demand some PR-classes for the imbecilies they put up there with "my money".

I used to buy products and companies who supported the sport, but after the speeches turned into commercials, I´ve decided not buy the most annoying brands the last few years. Besides, it gives the little guys some new costumers
2/20/2011 11:18am
Sunhouse wrote:
I can´t believe people think it´s OK that the riders f@ck us over as fans. WHY do American SX/MX demand so much more sponsor mentioning as...
I can´t believe people think it´s OK that the riders f@ck us over as fans. WHY do American SX/MX demand so much more sponsor mentioning as opposed to for example F1 or WRC? It´s complete BS and some people in this thread accept it.

Q: "what happened at the start"?
A: "yeah, you know just want to thank......"

THAT IS NOT AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!!
It pisses me off. I still laugh at Paul Malin´s comments after Alessi´s 1st moto interview at the USGP last year. You could tell Emig was embarrassed by it too, the difference between the two series was all too obvious with the BS sponsor flagging.

I blame home schooling - no shit!
share the humor! what did Malin say?
bents
Fantasy
909th
dumber than a ddavis thread
You know, I have always respected your opinions on this board, so I would appreciate it if you would offer something concrete in the form of a rebuttal. Do you really honestly think the series depends on those plugs?
CRF107
It is not an AMA rule, but it is in the rider contracts with thier teams. And yes, they can get fined for not doing it.
oldAFI
2/20/2011 11:28am
bents wrote:

burnside wrote:
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS. And for those of you saying 'no sponsers, no series' etc, thats nonsense. Having your company name reeled of a list...

Sunhouse wrote:
I agree 100%. People keep talking about making the sport more professional. There is NOTHING as unprofessional as the current AMA podium sponsor speeches. If I...
I agree 100%. People keep talking about making the sport more professional. There is NOTHING as unprofessional as the current AMA podium sponsor speeches. If I saw this and had a race team asking for sponsorship I´d tell them to F-off or demand some PR-classes for the imbecilies they put up there with "my money".

I used to buy products and companies who supported the sport, but after the speeches turned into commercials, I´ve decided not buy the most annoying brands the last few years. Besides, it gives the little guys some new costumers
word, word, and word.
bents
Fantasy
909th
2/20/2011 11:30am
Mstock wrote:
I wait at the edge of my seat to hear athletes and celebrities mention a brand or product name. I then rush out and purchase said...
I wait at the edge of my seat to hear athletes and celebrities mention a brand or product name. I then rush out and purchase said product regardless if I need the shit or not.

Exactly, and if they are getting fined for that, then make up a rule that eliminates the fine. That is just as ridiculous as the podium speech itself.
Holigan
2/20/2011 11:30am
That is how they collect their contingency dollars. Most of their deals with gear, helmets, goggles, tires, etc. industry sponsors states that they have to mention the brand on the podium to collect their bonuses. That is why the read off the long list. It would be bad to win a race and not collect $5,000 in goggle money because you forgot to mention them.
jwhitemx15
2/20/2011 11:36am
bents wrote:

X3!!!

I can't stand to watch the interviews anymore either! The first half of the interviews are typically pretty decent... then they start reading the same old list week after week. I know this is what pays the bills... but a scrolling list or something would work better. I would rather hear more race related talk.
dunn2500
2/20/2011 11:39am
bents wrote:

i agree..........the list is to friggen long, its just a sponsor plug and thats it
bents
Fantasy
909th
2/20/2011 11:40am
Holigan wrote:
That is how they collect their contingency dollars. Most of their deals with gear, helmets, goggles, tires, etc. industry sponsors states that they have to mention...
That is how they collect their contingency dollars. Most of their deals with gear, helmets, goggles, tires, etc. industry sponsors states that they have to mention the brand on the podium to collect their bonuses. That is why the read off the long list. It would be bad to win a race and not collect $5,000 in goggle money because you forgot to mention them.
I understand that, but as someone who has worked in the industry and worked with sponsors, isn't this whole set up a little ridiculous? So what you are suggesting is that a kid works their ass off, gets on the podium for their sponsors, which already gets them huge exposure, and then they are NOT going to give them their contingency money based on that podium speech? Then, as someone else has already suggested, place all of their sponsors underneath their name on TV while on the podium-that way no one misses out, the rider gets their contingency, and we can listen to what the rider is actually thinking or what he actually might want to say!

There has to be a better way to showcase the riders personalities-this constant redux is crazy-the repetitive nature of these things is such a turn off.
dunn2500
2/20/2011 11:48am
and it is does not sell more product to the mx community to reel off the list and avoid direct Questions....thank your main team and everyone involved in one shot is good enough.....we all know who makes the products, who teir sponsors are and if they're good or not.......it annoys more people than it draws in i assure you.......
Mstock
2/20/2011 11:57am
Mstock wrote:
I wait at the edge of my seat to hear athletes and celebrities mention a brand or product name. I then rush out and purchase said...

bents wrote:
Exactly, and if they are getting fined for that, then make up a rule that eliminates the fine. That is just as ridiculous as the podium...
Exactly, and if they are getting fined for that, then make up a rule that eliminates the fine. That is just as ridiculous as the podium speech itself.
Sounds like the "sponsors" of this sport might need to consult a marketing profesional and buy a clue. Stickers on the bikes mean nothing, a rider spewing 15 sponsor names means nothing. That shit does not sell product.

The marketing power this sport could provide ends once the riders go on the track. It's the cool factor of the bikes sitting on the stands in the pits. It's the huge haulers. It's the riders signing autographs. It's the "story" behind the race. It's the human factor that fans relate to.

The sponsors are getting robbed.

Personally I think the sponsors of sx and mx are dumbass for paying more than $20/year to a guy who "mentions" the company name (along with 15 others) on the podium.
Sunhouse
2/20/2011 12:02pm
Holigan wrote:
That is how they collect their contingency dollars. Most of their deals with gear, helmets, goggles, tires, etc. industry sponsors states that they have to mention...
Hold the sugar can so I can see what you lie that you drink. Put a fresh new pair of goggles around you neck, or if your a funny guy like Roczen: Put them on you on the podium - THAT will give you exposure sponsor reciting can never match. Also, try to stand so that all the sponsor names on your jersey are visible. THEN: *drumroll* Be pollite and answer the questions the interviewer asks. You´ve already given your sponsors PR by wearing their stuff!
dehner47
2/20/2011 12:03pm
the 635 monster symbols on the track, and the 45 plastered on the bikes, and them drinking a monster after every sentence, and the huge monster symbol on their chest doesnt explain who their sponsors are. glad they clear that up for me on the poduim..

Post a reply to: New rule-no more sponsor plugs on the podium!

The Latest