New motocross era (electric)

FerCzD
Edited Date/Time 11/13/2018 11:48am
Do you think with the latest KTM/Husky release and the new generetion of riders developing their skills on the electric platform, will there be changes/adjustments on current MX techniques?

What are your thoughts...
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/6/2018 12:00pm
Yes. Within a few years, we'll be making fun of the "Four Stroke Taliban," whose members maintain that the older technology is better.
Motox627!
11/6/2018 12:03pm
I see a lot more backyard tracks happening. Especially with the lack of places to ride these days. I would have been pumped if they had these when i was a kid!
11/6/2018 12:06pm
If it means more local tracks then I’m all for it. The idea of being able to ‘map’ it like a 2t or 4t at the flick of a switch is quite cool as well.
Possibility of indoor/hire places like you get with go-karts could help bring people to the sport as well.
zehn
11/6/2018 12:09pm
If it means more local tracks then I’m all for it. The idea of being able to ‘map’ it like a 2t or 4t at the...
If it means more local tracks then I’m all for it. The idea of being able to ‘map’ it like a 2t or 4t at the flick of a switch is quite cool as well.
Possibility of indoor/hire places like you get with go-karts could help bring people to the sport as well.
Why would you take all of the benefits of an electric motor and kill them by mapping it like a 2 stroke? I’ll take my max torque at 0 RPM

The Shop

11/6/2018 12:11pm
zehn wrote:
Why would you take all of the benefits of an electric motor and kill them by mapping it like a 2 stroke? I’ll take my max...
Why would you take all of the benefits of an electric motor and kill them by mapping it like a 2 stroke? I’ll take my max torque at 0 RPM
The same reason people still ride two strokes instead of four strokes, because you can and it’s enjoyable if not as fast. The point really is that they are massively tuneable for each riders ability/wishes.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
11/6/2018 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 12:14pm
Kids starting out on e-bikes now, will consider it "normal" to keep riding e-bikes as they grow older and move up to bigger bikes.

Just like the very early 2000's when competitive 4 strokes were "new", only a few start out on them but as the technology improved everyone moved to the 4 stroke as the new norm.

This is the beginning of the e-bike becoming the new norm. Another 10 years and they will be the majority. Just like 2 strokes today, there will always be the old school sticking with the ICE machines but to kids growing up on an e-bike the ICE bikes will be dinosaurs. Very loud and obnoxious dinosaurs...
Jaze
11/6/2018 12:14pm
If it means more local tracks then I’m all for it. The idea of being able to ‘map’ it like a 2t or 4t at the...
zehn wrote:
Why would you take all of the benefits of an electric motor and kill them by mapping it like a 2 stroke? I’ll take my max...
Because you can!
Today i wanna ride "2-stroke", tomorrow "4-stroke" and after that something else.
Do it how you like it...
peelout
11/6/2018 12:18pm
Falcon wrote:
Yes. Within a few years, we'll be making fun of the "Four Stroke Taliban," whose members maintain that the older technology is better.
and then 2-strokes will be primed for a big return and everyone will have to suck it because they really are the best thing since sliced bread anyways.
JM485
11/6/2018 12:20pm
Riding around in the back yard or at a local park just became a viable option for a ton of kids, what’s not to love about that? Plus dad isn’t stuck changing filters and oil all the time now either.
11/6/2018 12:28pm
If riding electric bikes means my future kids have more options to ride places than I do right now, it sounds great. It probably will allow places much closer to cities which makes for short commutes for a lot of us. I’m not gonna lie, driving 2ish hours each way to a track gets kinda old.
Helda
11/6/2018 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 12:35pm
Any detailed links to the bikes?
stillwelding
11/6/2018 3:10pm
Less missed shifts. Do you think in 35 years that people will be getting Alta graphics re-printed and putting them on their new electric motorcycles?
11/6/2018 3:46pm
Cool for city kids but IMO pro racing will be gas engines. People pay to see Tomac go balls to the wall on a 450. An e bike race just sounds boring as hell...just like e car racing. Cool to have but I just see it as a way to sell a few more bikes to kids that just couldn't have a gas bike in their subdivision.
NorCal 50+
11/6/2018 5:12pm
AZ35 wrote:
Kids starting out on e-bikes now, will consider it "normal" to keep riding e-bikes as they grow older and move up to bigger bikes. Just like...
Kids starting out on e-bikes now, will consider it "normal" to keep riding e-bikes as they grow older and move up to bigger bikes.

Just like the very early 2000's when competitive 4 strokes were "new", only a few start out on them but as the technology improved everyone moved to the 4 stroke as the new norm.

This is the beginning of the e-bike becoming the new norm. Another 10 years and they will be the majority. Just like 2 strokes today, there will always be the old school sticking with the ICE machines but to kids growing up on an e-bike the ICE bikes will be dinosaurs. Very loud and obnoxious dinosaurs...
I'm not so sure you're correct about electric mx bikes becoming the new norm in 10 short years. That is a lot different from going from 2-strokes to four-strokes. Electric cars are still a tiny drop in the ICE car population, and are still bought by mostly environmentally conscious early adopters (Something like 80% of EV owners make more than $100k a year). That demographic is almost entirely absent from the dirt biking public (we like motors). And the figurehead EV bike manufacturer just rode off a cliff.
xr70
11/6/2018 5:44pm
Unfortunately in 10-15 years there will not be motocross ! This generation is already so pussyfied and the next one will be even worse. Everybody will be on their phone all the time . Motocross will be history like gladiators. Ha ha
11/6/2018 7:47pm
I think they’ll have their place, probably a pretty large one, but I can’t see an elimination of gas motorcycles happening.
11/6/2018 7:49pm
Look at how Luna Cycles is working with Asian companies to bring great quality ebikes to the US. The Sur-Ron MX is my next bike. I will keep my Motocross bike but this I can hit local mountain bike trails and backwoods. It so quiet, no one will care. They even have them with pedals, so it is a bicycle.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-mx-electric/
Doddy
11/6/2018 8:14pm
They are not going to catch on like some of you think. No way in hell they take over unless the companies can no longer sell IC engines legally.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
11/6/2018 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 8:28pm
Biggest question I have is what will be the price of the electric bikes? Im guessing we are looking at an MSRP of around $5-6k. The MSRP on a 2019 KTM 50 SX is $4299. Think about that, that is the same as a FULL SIZE 125 in the early 2000s.

Shoot, I got a two year leftover (brand new) CR 125 for $3,000 before taxes in 2005.

I'm all about electric if it allows us more places to ride, but I think the manufacturers might see a drop in sales when they have 50's for say $5,500.

But who knows, vehicle prices have probably gone up proportionally in that time and the manufacturer's there are still selling new trucks every year. Without doing any research I wonder what the length of vehicle ownership has become since 2000 though.

milamcreek
11/6/2018 9:05pm
I can't keep silent any longer about the subject of electric MX bikes and for that matter all electric vehicles.
The internal combustion engine will never go away in our or our children's lifetime. It is and will be the most viable form of travel for many lifetimes.
Facts Tesla in trouble, hybrid sales tanking, Alta closing. The fact is that racing Motorsports is and will not ever be conducive to electric. No feathering clutches, no feeling the rev of the bike and the fact is if you want to kill the sport fully try selling tickets to that show.
You don't have to look far Formula E they can't sell a single ticket.
RBSR another example
There are other forms of alternatives that will launch well more successful than electric.
Alternative fuels will be the next in line. Not NGL's or LPG's but hydro is next.
Do research on lead ore and lithium strip mining and the damage is a 100 times more to the environment than oil exploration.
Stop selling what no one is buying.
Oh and by the way before you start slamming on me I have more involved in this field than 99.9999% of all of you. I am the President of a Battery Company in the US, so I have a lot of equity in the subject
BAMX
11/6/2018 9:15pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2018 9:19pm
AZ35 wrote:
Kids starting out on e-bikes now, will consider it "normal" to keep riding e-bikes as they grow older and move up to bigger bikes. Just like...

NorCal 50+ wrote:
I'm not so sure you're correct about electric mx bikes becoming the new norm in 10 short years. That is a lot different from going from...
I'm not so sure you're correct about electric mx bikes becoming the new norm in 10 short years. That is a lot different from going from 2-strokes to four-strokes. Electric cars are still a tiny drop in the ICE car population, and are still bought by mostly environmentally conscious early adopters (Something like 80% of EV owners make more than $100k a year). That demographic is almost entirely absent from the dirt biking public (we like motors). And the figurehead EV bike manufacturer just rode off a cliff.
You can add that those numbers are hugely inflated due to government subsidies and being able to use the car pool lane. Until battery technology doubles, they are not going to replace gas unless the government forces it.

edit: Honest question for someone who has an Alta. If you and a buddy went on a trail ride and did exactly the same things, how much fuel does he have left when you run out of battery?
agn5009
11/6/2018 11:20pm
The closing of Alta should be enough to show that we’re not ready to make the switch to electric motorcycles. It may happen eventually but certainly not within the next ten years.
VRR7
11/6/2018 11:58pm
milamcreek wrote:
I can't keep silent any longer about the subject of electric MX bikes and for that matter all electric vehicles. The internal combustion engine will never...
I can't keep silent any longer about the subject of electric MX bikes and for that matter all electric vehicles.
The internal combustion engine will never go away in our or our children's lifetime. It is and will be the most viable form of travel for many lifetimes.
Facts Tesla in trouble, hybrid sales tanking, Alta closing. The fact is that racing Motorsports is and will not ever be conducive to electric. No feathering clutches, no feeling the rev of the bike and the fact is if you want to kill the sport fully try selling tickets to that show.
RBSR another example
There are other forms of alternatives that will launch well more successful than electric.
Alternative fuels will be the next in line. Not NGL's or LPG's but hydro is next.
Do research on lead ore and lithium strip mining and the damage is a 100 times more to the environment than oil exploration.
Oh and by the way before you start slamming on me I have more involved in this field than 99.9999% of all of you. I am the President of a Battery Company in the US, so I have a lot of equity in the subject
Agreed - Cost is the main factor which means the game plan of 'climate change' is by taxing the poor on CO2 which is not a pollutant but what plants live off - So that they can funnel the funds from the poor to the elites like Musk etc that sign deals with Barry types that use legislation to support their own green investment portfolios.
So it is only affordable to the wealthy will the poor cannot afford the energy but they get punish for using cheap energy like lighting a fire so the wealthy can suck them dry.

Do some research on Blood Cobalt from the DRC. You are by no means the moral superior if you use electric ! In fact one can argue that it is immoral.

The cost to the environment to produce an electric vehicle v using an ICE vehicle is only seen after 5 to 17 years.

New ICE technology like Ford eco boost are making good headway into real world economy solutions.

2 stroke by the fact it costs less to run will do more to grow the sport of MX than introducing more costs such that fewer people can participate in the sport !
alex69
11/7/2018 1:28am
milamcreek wrote:
I can't keep silent any longer about the subject of electric MX bikes and for that matter all electric vehicles. The internal combustion engine will never...
RBSR another example

And what is a hydro fuel cel producing?
Right electricity.
oceantrav
11/7/2018 6:24am
If riding electric bikes means my future kids have more options to ride places than I do right now, it sounds great. It probably will allow...
If riding electric bikes means my future kids have more options to ride places than I do right now, it sounds great. It probably will allow places much closer to cities which makes for short commutes for a lot of us. I’m not gonna lie, driving 2ish hours each way to a track gets kinda old.
Right, I hate driving. Been taking my kids to bmx more lately, couple tracks close.
milamcreek
11/7/2018 7:34am
milamcreek wrote:
RBSR another example
alex69 wrote:

And what is a hydro fuel cel producing?
Right electricity.
No I have been working with a company for years that has produced an engine chevy 350 that runs on water that's right water hydro h2o. This technology is not new it has been around for along time. However this group has just about perfected it.
Breakdown water and what do you have the cleanest burning fuel ever oxygen and hydrogen
This technology has been muffled for a while but look to this coming forward soon.
rmgsxr
11/7/2018 7:52am
In my area, we need to figure out a way to lessen the liability risk to the city's and counties. We have tons of county land that we could ride on but can't because of liability. I have land but don't worry about loud four strokes, I worry about getting sued.
peelout
11/7/2018 8:22am
Look at how Luna Cycles is working with Asian companies to bring great quality ebikes to the US. The Sur-Ron MX is my next bike. I...
Look at how Luna Cycles is working with Asian companies to bring great quality ebikes to the US. The Sur-Ron MX is my next bike. I will keep my Motocross bike but this I can hit local mountain bike trails and backwoods. It so quiet, no one will care. They even have them with pedals, so it is a bicycle.

i don't know what the MTB scene is like in Texas but you wouldn't make it very far on the trails in UT without being stopped and authorities called. very strong limits on motorized vehicles up here. that said there are plenty of trails that allow motorcycles, and as long as the battery life is good it would be a blast

that thing looks cool as crap
11/7/2018 8:33am
Look at how Luna Cycles is working with Asian companies to bring great quality ebikes to the US. The Sur-Ron MX is my next bike. I...

peelout wrote:
i don't know what the MTB scene is like in Texas but you wouldn't make it very far on the trails in UT without being stopped...
i don't know what the MTB scene is like in Texas but you wouldn't make it very far on the trails in UT without being stopped and authorities called. very strong limits on motorized vehicles up here. that said there are plenty of trails that allow motorcycles, and as long as the battery life is good it would be a blast

that thing looks cool as crap
We don't have just random places to ride here in East Texas. I have like 9 MX tracks within 2hrs, but public dirtbike trails really don't exist around here. They make a pedal kit for the bike, so they couldn't say anything, lol.
11/7/2018 8:46am
milamcreek wrote:
RBSR another example
You are completely over looking something. It has nothing to do with being green or a tree hugger. It has to do with performance and cost. Just look back 10 years at RC car racing. Nitro was where it was at. Then brushless motors and Lipo batteries showed up. Faster, lighter, less maintenance and easier. Then as technology advances, electric RC cars get cheaper. ICE prices keep go up. When Electric bikes get ahold, along with 3D metal printing, more small companies can start up. That, just like the RC world, will drive cost down. Let's just hope kids will want to go outside and ride, lol.

Post a reply to: New motocross era (electric)

The Latest