New models vs current year models

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2018 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2018 6:41 PM

How does everyone feel about buying current year bikes vs the new models that just come out? In this case a 2018 FC350 vs a 2019 FC350? (I think the changes to the Husqvarna lineup aren’t too worrisome) When a new generation model comes out I feel both excited and maybe a little skeptical of issues that might arise. Typically you can save some coin by not getting the newest bike also....

|

7/12/2018 7:37 PM

I can understand the excitement, but when you step back and think about the past two decades of motocross bikes, the improvement has been slow, but steady.

Will you have substantially more fun on the latest bike vs a leftover from the prior year?
If you race enough for it to matter, will you have a substantial advantage in a motocross race?

I still have a couple of older two smokes and have no problem competing in Vet A with the occasional race win on those old bikes. I haven't ridden a modern bike that I think handles better and at 38 years old I can't really say I need more power than a 250 smoker has, certainly I don't need a bike with more weight.

The 350 seems like it's right there in that sweet spot for a regular weekend racer, I rode a first gen KTM 350SX-F several years ago and I loved it. I've thought about adding one of those to my stable in the future. If it's a change of bike for you, give it a try. If you already have one, ask yourself those two questions above.

|

7/12/2018 8:28 PM

I know I won’t be any faster with the newer model, but I know how selling these things goes 3-4 years down the road, and a lot of times that one year newer can help. I have been a loyal Kawasaki owner of both 250s and 450s since 2005. This is a big change for me!

|

7/12/2018 9:01 PM

I have always bought left over models until this year when I decided I "needed" a TX300. I always liked my left over models, you just can't get a TX in a left over as they all sell out.

|

Go Hawks!

7/12/2018 9:40 PM

Unfortunately this is the blessing and curse with Ktm/husky.

Very fast innovation and r&d and constantly trying to make their product better. but with the last few generations only spanning two model years or so, once you buy your “new bike”, the next season it’s “old”. I would actually prefer them to stick to at least a 3 year cycle. Fully work out bugs of current models and fully test the new models. and I think it’s hurt resale a little. I had a hard time selling my bikes because there is always a newer better bike next year. Not to mention it gives me anxiety trying to buy a Ktm knowing a new on is coming in 6 months or so!

On the flip side the people who have to have the latest and greatest spend the $$ so I guess good for Ktm.

|

7/13/2018 5:15 AM

I'm debating picking up a 4 stroke this fall. It will probably be 2018 KTM 450, I have a 17 250sx. I could care less about paying 2k more for the 19, because the 18 is a solid platform.

But really I enjoy saving money buying the left overs. All the bikes are so good now.

|

7/13/2018 6:14 AM

If planning keep the bike for awhile, I'd go for the better deal as the changes aren't night and day. If planning on selling eventually, might be easier to resell the newer model.

Bought a 2018 Honda 450 a few months before 2019s were announced. Plan on keeping this one awhile and am happy with the deal I got even though they made some changes for 2019 (incremental like KTM).

Minor point to consider also: the 2018 Husky looks better than 2019, IMO. I like my 2017 TC250 better than the 18 or 19 for looks.

|

7/13/2018 6:19 AM

I am on the fence about an 18 vs. 19 as well... ktm/husky 125. Is the redesign, dds clutch, Pankl transmission worth approximately 1100 bucks?

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

7/13/2018 6:24 AM

Good topic, For example you can almost get 2 2018 KX450s for the price of 1 KTM/Husky. I know the Kawi has it challenges but unless your racing at a high level you can make it to what you want via set up and tuning. I seem to always be a year behind. Balancing family, career and moto, saving a few grand is important. Good Luck.

|

7/13/2018 8:39 AM

It certainly is a catch 22 in certain aspects. I can relate. I had a 2012 YZ250F (good old reliable 5 valve carbed engine) but was so behind all the EFI bikes at the time. When the 2014 came out I was the first one at the track with one. Loved it but it had it's first year worrisome/growing pains. Shift stopper bearings destroying engines, failing water pump impellers and the cranks letting go. Of course if I had bought a leftover 2013 5 valve I would have had the guaranteed reliability but terrible resale later down the road along with just an outdated bike. And turns out those bikes proved pretty reliable and the best 250F's for the first 2 years after their release.

I'm sorta in the same prediciment now. Currently bikeless but looking at a new 250F and a bit worried at what I've heard about the new CRF250R first year issues and not sure with the likely issues that will creep up on the new YZ250F. Sure I could grab a left over CRF250R (had a 16 I loved minus the Showa forks) or YZ250F for a few grand less but also no electric start, no wifi tuning, no updated suspension, etc. along with the already weaker resale value. I guess its all about how long you plan on keeping the bike and what is more important to you in the end. Good luck and try to enjoy the process!

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/13/2018 8:59 AM

My old yz250 makes me feel just as warm and fuzzy as a 2019 would. I just can’t justify buying a brand new bike for practicing and the occasional race. I have about $3100 into it including the purchase price Photo

|

7/13/2018 8:59 AM

i like current Sara Jean Underwood more than early model SJU

|

7/13/2018 11:13 AM

Look at hiw well Alessi and frisse did on 17 crf's in 18 in supercross. I just raced 250B/C (double gate drop only 14 B riders first drop /16 C riders 2nd drop)finshed 2nd in C 12th overall and plus 25B/C finished 3rd. On a 03 kx125 only thing done is suspension and a pipe silencer. Find the bike that fits you best and your budget best. Thats the great thing about this sport now a days its more rider then bike. We can make any modern (1999+)bike work.
But finding and setting up a bike that fits you and can be set up how you like it will make a world of difference as well. I myself will be picking up a new 17 or 18 in the next month. No need to pay the belive the hype cost.

|

7/13/2018 12:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2018 12:36 PM

Amen to that rob, I did the suspension myself on my older bike as well as a rebuild and I seriously have twice as much fun ripping it just because it fits me and my riding style better than my last bike

At the end of the day it’s all about what you want and are comfortable on. Some people can afford to get new bikes every season or two which is awesome as hell but I just don’t ride/race seriously enough to have the newest and best.

|

7/13/2018 12:36 PM

Very few people can tell the difference from 1 year to the next and even fewer go faster because of it. It's mostly marketing hype. I can slightly get the depreciation issue, but other than that it's bs.

|

7/13/2018 2:57 PM

If theres not major changes or youre only going to a 1 year newer bike theres no point. I test drove a 2014 f150 and compared it to my 2004. Other than style, no difference in handling or power. Ive looked at buying a newer kx450 but they dont feel different enough from my 2009 to spend the money. In my case, going from a 2009 to a 2019 would be a good upgrade due to an all new motor, estart, hydro clutch, a kit suspension, and the 20lb weight difference.. but going from a 19 to a 20 makes no sense. Another example is several of my harley buddies.. they ride or have ridden 2006ish models and want to go to an 18. They ride the new one and dont see $25,000 worth of difference or even $10 difference.

Just my personal opinion and experience.

|

7/13/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2018 3:27 PM

I know I won't be any faster, but that rarely comes into play I think for the majority of people in these situations. Is a thousand dollar plus savings worth it, probably. For example, the Pankl transmission and dds clutch on the 19 ktm/husky 125, performance wise, negligible. Reliability? Enough to justify the difference in cost, maybe not. Same with the 350, some of those are nicely discounted.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

7/13/2018 3:54 PM

Buy the '18. It's a better looking bike and us mortals would never know the difference. I've got a '16 and it makes me feel like a fucking hero every time I ride it. Initial cost/resale ratio will equal out in the end.

|