New helmet technology

kawboy627
With this talk about what’s the safest helmet and the fly racing study that came out it has me second guessing a purchase I just made on a shoei vfx-w. Basically what I am asking is should I have bought the new shoei vfx-evo instead of buying a helmet with dated technology or is this new tech really all it is hyped up to be? Sorry if this seems like a stupid thread, I am just getting back into the sport after years and when I was riding in 2011 it seemed like the vfx-w was the helmet to have
|
5/5/2019 2:04pm
A helmet in 2019 needs a rotational energy management system. Personally I wouldn't wear it.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
5/5/2019 2:14pm
the vfx-w is/was a great helmet, it's just outdated now. still a safe helmet though.

with that said, i just got the new evo. it's still in the box, can't open until tuesday (birthday gift) Cheerful
Helda
5/5/2019 2:19pm
You fucked up, Pal.
Should of definetly gone the EVO
5/5/2019 2:31pm
A helmet in 2019 needs a rotational energy management system. Personally I wouldn't wear it.
I'm not sold. I've seen destroyed helmets in the 80s and 90s and heads were fine.
And by destroyed I mean chin bars busted, shells cracked with gaping holes.

I think a chiro yanking your head to pop your neck is worse than a twist wearing a helmet.

Just using common sense, but I really dont worry about my head rotating. I mean, your head is supposed to turn and bend.

The helmet does nothing to stop your brain from turning inside your skull.

I cant see how any rotational crap does anything when I could yank someone's chin bar in a new helmet and wretch their neck and "rotational management" isnt doing anything.

I'm looking for impact protection. And cushion for my head when it smacks the ground.

The Shop

ron727
Fantasy
2331st
5/5/2019 2:46pm
I'm not sold. I've seen destroyed helmets in the 80s and 90s and heads were fine. And by destroyed I mean chin bars busted, shells cracked...
I'm not sold. I've seen destroyed helmets in the 80s and 90s and heads were fine.

I think a chiro yanking your head to pop your neck is worse than a twist wearing a helmet.

Just using common sense, but I really dont worry about my head rotating. I mean, your head is supposed to turn and bend.

I cant see how any rotational crap does anything when I could yank someone's chin bar in a new helmet and wretch their neck and "rotational management" isnt doing anything.

I'm looking for impact protection. And cushion for my head when it smacks the ground.
"I really dont worry about my head rotating......" Then you should buy whatever helmet you want lol.

But if you're just looking for impact protection, I'm pretty sure the 6D's have the best linear impact protection
kawboy627
5/5/2019 3:34pm
Helda wrote:
You fucked up, Pal.
Should of definetly gone the EVO
Yeah I know I fucked up but the clearance section got the best of me, plus it was also the color/design I always wanted. Oh well, guess I’ll start looking into getting a different one when I get a new bike.
ktmdan
5/5/2019 3:42pm
I'm not sold. I've seen destroyed helmets in the 80s and 90s and heads were fine. And by destroyed I mean chin bars busted, shells cracked...

You saw helmets destroyed 80's? Damn, Fly should have just hired you rather than spending all that money on scientific experimentation. Wink
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/5/2019 3:48pm
kawboy627 wrote:
Yeah I know I fucked up but the clearance section got the best of me, plus it was also the color/design I always wanted. Oh well...
Yeah I know I fucked up but the clearance section got the best of me, plus it was also the color/design I always wanted. Oh well, guess I’ll start looking into getting a different one when I get a new bike.
Your helmet is fine. If it is a good fit on your head, that’s the most important thing. We all have 6D to thank for all the new helmet safety functions on the market.
Personally, the 6D doesn’t fit my head properly, so I choose to wear the BELL Moto 9 FLEX. But there are plenty of helmets, including the Shoei vfx, that will keep your head safe. Wait until you need a new helmet, before replacing it. That helmet has saved plenty of lives with that “old” technology !
5/5/2019 4:02pm

Your brain will rotate inside your skull on impact increasing the damage from a crash. Something like MIPS, 6Ds ODS, the new FLY and Fox helmets have tech that all help prevent that.
OFalk280
5/5/2019 4:14pm

The rotational protection helps your brain to not trust as fast inside your skull. The problem with “rotational impact” is that your head and brain is moving one way, and then upon impact it wants to keep moving that way but your skull is abruptly stopped. Therefore, your brain continues to move in that direction since your brain is essentially floating inside your skull. The rotational management systems don’t stop your brain from continuing in that direction, they allow your skull to continue that same direction too, instead of stopping. They “slow down” that change of direction.

Btw...there used to be a time when smoking was considered safe. Do we want to continue like the old days, or should we keep making progress to keep riders safe and keep this sport from killing its young in today’s age of 60 horsepower 450 Four strokes, where any idiot that gets approved for financing can get a bike that can clear jumps bigger than anything anyone thought of in the 80s
5/5/2019 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2019 5:09pm
Wil Hahn was wearing a vfx-w during this crash, which resulted in a cracked skull. He did claim it saved his life though.
5/5/2019 5:09pm
kawboy627 wrote:
With this talk about what’s the safest helmet and the fly racing study that came out it has me second guessing a purchase I just made...
With this talk about what’s the safest helmet and the fly racing study that came out it has me second guessing a purchase I just made on a shoei vfx-w. Basically what I am asking is should I have bought the new shoei vfx-evo instead of buying a helmet with dated technology or is this new tech really all it is hyped up to be? Sorry if this seems like a stupid thread, I am just getting back into the sport after years and when I was riding in 2011 it seemed like the vfx-w was the helmet to have
The "study" you mentioned, bare in mind was funded by the lab that developed the tech....just something to keep in mind. Unbiased, peer reviewed, 3rd party testing is the key. Something like Virginia Tech is doing with football and cycling helmets.

MIPS system, from what I have seen thus far, seems to do the best job of reducing rotational forces on the brain-its an all encompassing slip plane, ALL OVER your head, vs little fluid pods, blue tentacles, slippery goo, elastomers, etc.

That being said, as someone else wrote in here, some sort of rotational protection is key these days.....and above all else, a dialed FIT, or else any helmet isnt worth a damn.
5/5/2019 5:16pm
langhammx wrote:
Your helmet is fine. If it is a good fit on your head, that’s the most important thing. We all have 6D to thank for all...
Your helmet is fine. If it is a good fit on your head, that’s the most important thing. We all have 6D to thank for all the new helmet safety functions on the market.
Personally, the 6D doesn’t fit my head properly, so I choose to wear the BELL Moto 9 FLEX. But there are plenty of helmets, including the Shoei vfx, that will keep your head safe. Wait until you need a new helmet, before replacing it. That helmet has saved plenty of lives with that “old” technology !
Get out of here with that logic, reason and common sense!

To the OP: enjoy your beautiful new helmet! Worry about the new tech for the next helmet.
5/5/2019 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2019 5:45pm
Those with knowledge; how much better is the new tech versus last generation? It's not like we're talking a 50% improvement here or the difference between no concussion with one and going brain dead with the other if you take the same hit.

Post a reply to: New helmet technology

The Latest