New helmet advice

xotom125
8/30/2015 9:33am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 11:16pm
Hi,
Looking for some advice on new old
Stock helmets.
I have a few helmets that I have had from new and only worn once in 7-8 years so
Decided to get a new lid!
Looking at an Arai VX3 Wingflame,
My question is..
This new old stock helmet is 7 years old!
I know it's never been out of the box
But my helmets have not been out of my cupboard either.
Is it a good idea to buy a new ! 7 year old
Helmet to save 150 bucks,
Does a BNIB helmet deteriate ??

Any advice greatly appreciated
|
xotom125
8/30/2015 10:13am
thanks,
that was my opinion also,
ill go for a new model, and pay the extra bucks
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
8/30/2015 4:01pm
Ronnie Mac has been rockin the same helmet since he was pissing the bed
logan_140
8/30/2015 4:24pm
Bell Moro 9 flex.. Waiting on mine

The Shop

c_dub
8/30/2015 6:08pm
logan_140 wrote:
Bell Moro 9 flex.. Waiting on mine
I'm thinking that's what I want to go with if/when I get back to riding. Let us know what you think of it.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/30/2015 7:22pm
Airoh Avaiator - Euro model...... I'll never wear anything else
josh8811
8/30/2015 7:36pm
helmets are specific to each person in their fit. I can not wear a bell or a troy lee, they fit more rounded heads. Try them all on and see which fits you best.. Thats most important. Once you know this, then price shop for a good deal.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
8/30/2015 8:41pm
I love my 6D. Not cheap, but probably most comfortable lid I've ever had.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
8/30/2015 10:52pm
Don't buy it!! The helmet manufactures say there is about a 4 year life on helmets. After that the materials start to break down. Spend the extra $150 and get a brand new model.
8/31/2015 2:16am
It isn't moto but I have a suomy street bike helmet that I have owned for about seven years and the liner is starting to break down and leaves a bunch of junk in my hair every time I take it off.
Motofinne
8/31/2015 2:45am
MxKing809 wrote:
Is the US version different than the EU Aviator? I remember that i read a review on an american magazine and they thought the quality was low and i dropped my jaw.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/31/2015 3:08am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 3:09am
MxKing809 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Is the US version different than the EU Aviator? I remember that i read a review on an american magazine and they thought the quality was...
Is the US version different than the EU Aviator? I remember that i read a review on an american magazine and they thought the quality was low and i dropped my jaw.
Yes, the US model is DOT approved, which has a whole array of testing that technically clears it for road use. This adds weight and changes materials. The Euro model is the true and true Airoh that weights less than air and is bad ass (IMO)
Motofinne
8/31/2015 3:20am
MxKing809 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Is the US version different than the EU Aviator? I remember that i read a review on an american magazine and they thought the quality was...
MxKing809 wrote:
Yes, the US model is DOT approved, which has a whole array of testing that technically clears it for road use. This adds weight and changes...
Yes, the US model is DOT approved, which has a whole array of testing that technically clears it for road use. This adds weight and changes materials. The Euro model is the true and true Airoh that weights less than air and is bad ass (IMO)
Oh well that explains why Airoh Aviators aren't that popular in US. The version we have in Europe is like you say, extremely light.
Indy mxer
8/31/2015 3:41am
Ditto on the 6D. I just wore my new 6D carbon yesterday after wearing Shoei for a few years.
Love the helmet. More comfortable than the Shoei imo.
Yes expensive. But I spent at least that much on my Pro Circuit exhaust. I've had a couple concussions over the years so as the saying goes, you can't put a price on your head.

8/31/2015 5:46am
I have a Airoh aviator, 950 gr and was the best helmet fit to my head, most comfy also.. needed some time to get used to how "short" it is .

Ran it for 6 hrs, and wrecked it real good.. highsider and head took the hit first. concussion and my forehead were yellow/blueish.
I felt real safe in the helmet and stood up and walked away with no issues besides the little concussion and a stiff neck.
bought a new one that waits when I can moto again.
If you look closely you can see a crack at the forehead also.

hillbilly
8/31/2015 5:50am
One thing you should always keep an eye on is the strap rivets.

The sweat salt rusts and corrode the heads. Seen many pop off in my time in hard crashes.
8/31/2015 7:40am
MxKing809 wrote:
I'm in love with mine. Told my friends I was getting one and they're all "why don't you get a XXXXX dude!?!" Now that I have one and put it in their hands they don't know what to say. Quality is top notch, great venting, easy to clean and light (obviously). You can tell by looking at the ribbed foam it will absorb an impact better than most IMO.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
8/31/2015 8:00am
Helmet manufacturers providing a ~5 year expiration date is much of a CYA by the manufacturer, not a true expiration date - plus this guarantees the helmet manufacturer more business long term. The plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber shell doesn't break down (well, maybe over a few 100 years it will), but the inside foam is polystyrene and will VERY slowly breakdown depending on how it is stored. I work in the chemical industry dealing with both solid and liquid chemicals. Most chemical manufacturers do the same thing - 5 or 7 year expiration date on dry chemicals just as a pure CYA and also job security (from new sales). The rate at which a helmet's inner foam breaks down is likely going to be 10-50 years depending on how the helmet is stored and taken care of, 10 years being a worst case scenario IMO.

Most people should just proactively replace their helmet after a really good digger as the best policy. I'm not worried about my $500 helmet breaking down in 5 years, that's ridiculous.
c_dub
8/31/2015 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2015 11:17pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Helmet manufacturers providing a ~5 year expiration date is much of a CYA by the manufacturer, not a true expiration date - plus this guarantees the...
Helmet manufacturers providing a ~5 year expiration date is much of a CYA by the manufacturer, not a true expiration date - plus this guarantees the helmet manufacturer more business long term. The plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber shell doesn't break down (well, maybe over a few 100 years it will), but the inside foam is polystyrene and will VERY slowly breakdown depending on how it is stored. I work in the chemical industry dealing with both solid and liquid chemicals. Most chemical manufacturers do the same thing - 5 or 7 year expiration date on dry chemicals just as a pure CYA and also job security (from new sales). The rate at which a helmet's inner foam breaks down is likely going to be 10-50 years depending on how the helmet is stored and taken care of, 10 years being a worst case scenario IMO.

Most people should just proactively replace their helmet after a really good digger as the best policy. I'm not worried about my $500 helmet breaking down in 5 years, that's ridiculous.
Good stuff Tbones. I was just going to ask the same thing as I've always thought it was kind of a ridiculous standard. Appreciate the input and knowledge.

Post a reply to: New helmet advice

The Latest