New billionaire

MarkF
Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 6:12pm
|
tombugg
1/29/2014 10:49am
Hmmmm.. Still cant figure out why top 20 supercross guys are paying to be out there busting thier asses to entertain us...
kawasa84
1/29/2014 10:58am
What does it pay to make the SX night show in 250f class. $1000 or less I believe. Maybe it pays more to wear a red nose and orange hair.
IWreckALot
1/29/2014 11:06am
tombugg wrote:
Hmmmm.. Still cant figure out why top 20 supercross guys are paying to be out there busting thier asses to entertain us...
Because the race organization can get away with it. It won't change until the racers force a change. That's why a union is so commonly suggested. But it won't work with Supercross's structure.

The Shop

MXD
1/29/2014 11:19am
You can't compare Ringling Bros' to the riders. The performers would be the riders and Ringling Bros. would be Feld. If you look at it that way, it falls more in line with itself. The performers are living out of a motor home and scraping by while the promoter is getting rich.
1/29/2014 11:34am
tombugg wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Because the race organization can get away with it. It won't change until the racers force a change. That's why a union is so commonly suggested...
Because the race organization can get away with it. It won't change until the racers force a change. That's why a union is so commonly suggested. But it won't work with Supercross's structure.
It has to work !
JM485
1/29/2014 12:01pm
That really pits into perspective how messed up the payout system is. . . .
Rooster
1/29/2014 12:17pm
enketchum wrote:
Why is this in here??
Ringling Bros owns or is owned by Feld Entertainment. The same ownership of the supercross series.

Given that we haven't seen much of an increase in circuses over the years, you'd have to come to the conclusion that they're making very good money off of the supercross series.
TeamGreen
1/29/2014 12:29pm
enketchum wrote:
Why is this in here??
Rooster wrote:
Ringling Bros owns or is owned by Feld Entertainment. The same ownership of the supercross series. Given that we haven't seen much of an increase in...
Ringling Bros owns or is owned by Feld Entertainment. The same ownership of the supercross series.

Given that we haven't seen much of an increase in circuses over the years, you'd have to come to the conclusion that they're making very good money off of the supercross series.
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday...

Monster Trucks, too!
BAMX
1/29/2014 12:31pm
So, what you are saying is that there is money in putting on these races? Go figure...
Parris
1/29/2014 2:56pm

I saw a race at the circus. The lap times were fast. I do not know how won. Where was the finish line?????
1/29/2014 3:12pm
What I don't get is why professional racers and team owners allow Feld to own Supercross. It seems like it wouldn't take much to put together a competing series that was more favorable and lucrative for the teams and riders. Instead of teams making money only from sponsorships it makes more sense for them to divvy up the gate and for riders to work out a collective bargaining agreement like in other sports. A competitor to Feld's nonsense is long over due.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/29/2014 3:22pm
Riders must do a strike. (hey I am French Smile LOL)
All the same people that are claiming the riders should go on strike are the same ones who would scream and cry if they actually did.
MX558
1/29/2014 3:30pm
Riders must do a strike. (hey I am French Smile LOL)
GuyB wrote:
All the same people that are claiming the riders should go on strike are the same ones who would scream and cry if they actually did.
That's true but they should do it anyway. It's the only way anything will change.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
1/29/2014 3:30pm
What I don't get is why professional racers and team owners allow Feld to own Supercross. It seems like it wouldn't take much to put together...
What I don't get is why professional racers and team owners allow Feld to own Supercross. It seems like it wouldn't take much to put together a competing series that was more favorable and lucrative for the teams and riders. Instead of teams making money only from sponsorships it makes more sense for them to divvy up the gate and for riders to work out a collective bargaining agreement like in other sports. A competitor to Feld's nonsense is long over due.
My guess is that the logistics behind stadium rentals, dirt setup, and running the entire "show" is above trying to get all the teams together to do it. I imagine the undertaking for the entire 17 race series is pretty large and the teams already have enough to worry about.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
1/29/2014 3:31pm
What I don't get is why professional racers and team owners allow Feld to own Supercross. It seems like it wouldn't take much to put together...
Please see "AMA/Jam Sports" vs Clear Channel.
BAMX
1/29/2014 3:52pm
I remember hearing that Feld owned the rights to hold motosports events in the majority of the stadiums.
1/29/2014 4:01pm
BAMX wrote:
I remember hearing that Feld owned the rights to hold motosports events in the majority of the stadiums.
If that's the case then they would just have to use different stadiums. It would take a significant collective effort but there is absolutely no reason for the AMA, FIM, or Feld to be involved in a stadium series
jonesaustin
1/29/2014 4:02pm
definitely not fan of our amazing wildlife being forced into cruel captivity, so forget it, i'm not a fan of Feld for that reason. he may be a billionaire but great misery and suffering made it possible. misery and suffering none of us, if we have compassion, should allow.
1/29/2014 4:02pm
avidchimp wrote:
Please see "AMA/Jam Sports" vs Clear Channel.
So Jam won an antitrust suit, what is skinny on that?
BAMX
1/29/2014 4:05pm
BAMX wrote:
If that's the case then they would just have to use different stadiums. It would take a significant collective effort but there is absolutely no reason...
If that's the case then they would just have to use different stadiums. It would take a significant collective effort but there is absolutely no reason for the AMA, FIM, or Feld to be involved in a stadium series
The problem would be that many cities only have one stadium suitable for SX. For instance, San Diego has Qualcomm and the ballpark downtown. They wouldn't allow it at the ballpark so essentially he has San Diego wrapped up.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/29/2014 4:09pm
definitely not fan of our amazing wildlife being forced into cruel captivity, so forget it, i'm not a fan of Feld for that reason. he may...
definitely not fan of our amazing wildlife being forced into cruel captivity, so forget it, i'm not a fan of Feld for that reason. he may be a billionaire but great misery and suffering made it possible. misery and suffering none of us, if we have compassion, should allow.
For only pennies a day, you too can save the baby seals... Laughing
jonesaustin
1/29/2014 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2014 4:23pm
good to know, thanks "GuyB"
TX24
1/29/2014 6:19pm
The sad part is SX is not even mention in that article.
1/29/2014 10:09pm
BAMX wrote:
Purchasing those rights was probably somewhat of a gamble. Anyone know how much that cost? Have you noticed they piggy back the trucks right behind Supercross in many of the venues allowing them to haul dirt once. This man appears to have taken revenue from one form of entertainment and invested it in another and become very successful.

Reading the first comments after the article would give one the idea that he has made all of his money via animal cruelty. Sure seems like it gives the PETA folks someone to get fired up at. All the poor liberal SOBs also hate him because they have no idea how business works.

To me, he has put his money on the line and made a business decision that has paid off well. Enjoy/support Supercross or don't, you have a choice.
RandyS
1/29/2014 10:19pm
I wonder how much entry fee is to be a lion tamer, that seems fun.
Woobia 22
1/29/2014 11:23pm
It would be great to see Team 22 forming a company to run the events/ Mick Porra worked in Australia with Chad, so musn;t be viable as he does Nitro as well. I would think he would have looked into it.

Imagine Riders Not having to pay to race and entertain, they might actually get some decent Insurance coverage and prize money.

Nice Dream but they would want to pocket as much as possible, but with the riders being able to sell their own gear etc they would turn a buck or 2.

Post a reply to: New billionaire

The Latest