New bikes for each moto?

aztecmx
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 2:01am
With some amusement I read and heard that Honda replaced the engines after each moto at Freestone. Presumably also the tires and chain, I'll guess also the rear shock and handlebars and levers and cables. I wonder about the frame and swingarm.

Does anyone have the factual rules on what can and cannot be replaced between motos (AMA)? Are there any limits at all?

Is there a tech inspection of the bikes before moto 2?

There is just something nagging on my sense of reasonableness. I'm thinking I must be naive to even entertain the notion that, hey, that Honda is a fast and quick machine, maybe I'll get one. But if it reliably lasts only one moto that'd be a bummer.
|
PaleBlue
6/1/2011 9:28am
aztecmx wrote:
With some amusement I read and heard that Honda replaced the engines after each moto at Freestone. Presumably also the tires and chain, I'll guess also...
With some amusement I read and heard that Honda replaced the engines after each moto at Freestone. Presumably also the tires and chain, I'll guess also the rear shock and handlebars and levers and cables. I wonder about the frame and swingarm.

Does anyone have the factual rules on what can and cannot be replaced between motos (AMA)? Are there any limits at all?

There is just something nagging on my sense of reasonableness. I'm thinking I must be naive to even entertain the notion that, hey, that Honda is a fast and quick machine, maybe I'll get one. But if it reliably lasts only one moto that'd be a bummer.
Obiously, you just can't beat Honda 'Build Quality'! LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
nytsmaC
6/1/2011 9:29am
You must also be naive to even entertain the notion that the life span of their race engines have anything to do with the reliability of a stock bike.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
6/1/2011 9:32am
If Freestone is so hard on riders and bikes, why dont they move to another track in Texas or the southwest..

Or northeast Whistling I mean we dont have ANY sx, not even Syracuse which I thought would be on the schedule. Bring back Broome! just sayin...

The Shop

aztecmx
6/1/2011 9:33am
nytsmaC wrote:
You must also be naive to even entertain the notion that the life span of their race engines have anything to do with the reliability of...
You must also be naive to even entertain the notion that the life span of their race engines have anything to do with the reliability of a stock bike.
Indeed perhaps. Please explain what is the "production rule"?
PaleBlue
6/1/2011 9:40am
So the next time I see a 'factory' Honda fail at an AMA event, I can assume that the best MX engine that Honda can put together has not managed to survive 30(ish) minutes use? I'm impressed.
kongols
6/1/2011 9:41am
nytsmaC wrote:
You must also be naive to even entertain the notion that the life span of their race engines have anything to do with the reliability of...
aztecmx wrote:
Indeed perhaps. Please explain what is the "production rule"?
Myth.
ccoady454
6/1/2011 9:52am
nytsmaC wrote:
So much for "ready to race" off the showroom floor.
jtiger12
6/1/2011 9:53am
PaleBlue wrote:
So the next time I see a 'factory' Honda fail at an AMA event, I can assume that the best MX engine that Honda can put...
So the next time I see a 'factory' Honda fail at an AMA event, I can assume that the best MX engine that Honda can put together has not managed to survive 30(ish) minutes use? I'm impressed.
seriously?

So the next time I see a 'factory' _XXXXX_ fail at a(n) _YYYYY_ event, I can assume that the best _YYYYY_ engine that _XXXXX_ can put together has not managed to survive 30(ish) minutes use? I'm impressed.

here are your lookup tables
X: Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, TM, Aprillia, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Nissan,

Y: Nascar, Dirt track, MotoGP, World Superbike, FIM, AMA, Formula1

there are mechanical's in every motorsport dude
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
6/1/2011 9:56am
mx 219 wrote:
If Freestone is so hard on riders and bikes, why dont they move to another track in Texas or the southwest.. Or northeast :whistle: I mean...
If Freestone is so hard on riders and bikes, why dont they move to another track in Texas or the southwest..

Or northeast Whistling I mean we dont have ANY sx, not even Syracuse which I thought would be on the schedule. Bring back Broome! just sayin...
so you think if a track tests the riders and bikes ability it should be removed?
Solid logic.
PaleBlue
6/1/2011 10:00am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2011 10:03am
PaleBlue wrote:
So the next time I see a 'factory' Honda fail at an AMA event, I can assume that the best MX engine that Honda can put...
jtiger12 wrote:
seriously? So the next time I see a 'factory' _XXXXX_ fail at a(n) _YYYYY_ event, I can assume that the best _YYYYY_ engine that _XXXXX_ can...
seriously?

So the next time I see a 'factory' _XXXXX_ fail at a(n) _YYYYY_ event, I can assume that the best _YYYYY_ engine that _XXXXX_ can put together has not managed to survive 30(ish) minutes use? I'm impressed.

here are your lookup tables
X: Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, TM, Aprillia, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Nissan,

Y: Nascar, Dirt track, MotoGP, World Superbike, FIM, AMA, Formula1

there are mechanical's in every motorsport dude
MotoGP SIX engines per bike per SEASON.

MOTO2 - Sealed engines, one per bike, returned to Honda after every other race meeting. That's aproximately 5 hours.

30 min's ? - outstanding.
nytsmaC
6/1/2011 10:10am Edited Date/Time 6/1/2011 10:12am
Who cares?

If Honda's factory race team wants to change engines between motos and KTM doesn't, does that mean that a production KTM engine is twice as reliable as a Honda?

Engines grenade, sometimes unexpectedly. Something could start coming apart in the 1st moto, undetected, causing a DNF in moto 2. That shit can cost them a championship. Sounds like they're just being very thorough, kudos for them if they are better prepared than the competition.
Shawn142
6/1/2011 11:36am
This was common practice back in the 2-stroke days for just about everyone, so why is it a big deal now all of a sudden? Besides the frame there is little the factory and production bikes have in common. Most of the weight is saved in the motor and those parts become weaker. Logic says they need to be changed at least every race if not every moto.
flarider
6/1/2011 11:49am
aztecmx wrote:
With some amusement I read and heard that Honda replaced the engines after each moto at Freestone. Presumably also the tires and chain, I'll guess also...

You can change everything but the frame you took through tech inspection
VRR7
6/1/2011 11:51am
nytsmaC wrote:
Who cares? If Honda's factory race team wants to change engines between motos and KTM doesn't, does that mean that a production KTM engine is twice...
Who cares?

If Honda's factory race team wants to change engines between motos and KTM doesn't, does that mean that a production KTM engine is twice as reliable as a Honda?

Engines grenade, sometimes unexpectedly. Something could start coming apart in the 1st moto, undetected, causing a DNF in moto 2. That shit can cost them a championship. Sounds like they're just being very thorough, kudos for them if they are better prepared than the competition.
Exactly if not why not - Its prudent - To not do it is to slack for pro moto -
TeamGreen
6/1/2011 11:51am
Shawn142 wrote:
This was common practice back in the 2-stroke days for just about everyone, so why is it a big deal now all of a sudden? Besides...
This was common practice back in the 2-stroke days for just about everyone, so why is it a big deal now all of a sudden? Besides the frame there is little the factory and production bikes have in common. Most of the weight is saved in the motor and those parts become weaker. Logic says they need to be changed at least every race if not every moto.
You were doin' good until you said, "Most of the weight saved is in the motor..."

Ti Axles...lighter "seat" bases & foam, wheels, "springs", Foot-pegs-clevis's and pins (2 pound savings)...fasteneres...Ti and Aluminum...to be truthful...Honda's the one team that can actually make the bike "too light"...and...Honda add's a LOT LESS CRAP!

Engine issues may have something to do with running HUGE compression numbers and making a helluva lot more power than the forgings, castings and internal hardware can take...for long...then there's the Honda-head design...it's VERY light...and a little more fragile than others.

I remember jus' a few years ago...the KTMs were a "1 moto" affair, too.
DownSouth
6/1/2011 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2011 12:01pm
flarider wrote:
You can even change the frame if you bend/wreck the original can't you? I thought you could as long as the spare frame was run through tech inspection as well.

You can not however change to a spare bike, it has to be rebuilt.
aztecmx
6/1/2011 12:03pm
aztecmx wrote:

flarider wrote:
Everything but the frame. OK, got it. Thank you sir!

So it really is short-sighted to NOT change everything except the frame between motos, as someone pointed out.

I would, however, suggest to Honda and the other makers that if they are using racing as a marketing tool to advertise and sell their bikes that it would be in their best interest to not let it be widely known that essentially a new bike is raced each moto. That info won't help sell a machine.

And it seems to me that we are in an era that #1 plates can ALMOST be purchased (assuming a top three rider is on board).
flarider
6/1/2011 12:06pm
flarider wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
You can even change the frame if you bend/wreck the original can't you? I thought you could as long as the spare frame was run through...
You can even change the frame if you bend/wreck the original can't you? I thought you could as long as the spare frame was run through tech inspection as well.

You can not however change to a spare bike, it has to be rebuilt.
You must get permission from the race director (referee) following an inspection of the damaged frame
dboivin
6/1/2011 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2011 12:16pm
aztecmx wrote:

flarider wrote:
aztecmx wrote:
Everything but the frame. OK, got it. Thank you sir! So it really is short-sighted to NOT change everything except the frame between motos, as someone...
Everything but the frame. OK, got it. Thank you sir!

So it really is short-sighted to NOT change everything except the frame between motos, as someone pointed out.

I would, however, suggest to Honda and the other makers that if they are using racing as a marketing tool to advertise and sell their bikes that it would be in their best interest to not let it be widely known that essentially a new bike is raced each moto. That info won't help sell a machine.

And it seems to me that we are in an era that #1 plates can ALMOST be purchased (assuming a top three rider is on board).
your actually using the "glass half empty vs. half full" mentality. I want my supported manufacture to push the limits every season and see them build the best bike possible...switching engines out between races is no different that switching rims...switching shocks...its a component. If this helps them achieve a championship....sweet, more power to them. This is WHY riders strive to reach a factory team. You know how many times i wished i could change my riders motor out with an already prepped rebuilt motor for the second moto? or swap a whole wheel vs. changing a tire? c'mon think a little.

leveling the playing field (everyone on a production stock bike) equals the t-ball mentality where everyones a winner, no one loses. It doesn't push technology and we don't get better bikes in the long run brought to us each year.
carlosmacho
6/1/2011 12:16pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Who cares? If Honda's factory race team wants to change engines between motos and KTM doesn't, does that mean that a production KTM engine is twice...
Who cares?

I agree with your sentiment and the answer to the question is clearly the statement is false in regards to production bikes. "If Honda's factory race team wants to change engines between motos and KTM doesn't, does that mean that a production KTM engine is twice as reliable as a Honda?"

These are factory bikes, they are built to the hilt for horsepower and light weight. This is an advantage for factory riders and a disadvantage for privateers.

This right here is why the KTM has a disadvantage. Short and Alessi both have blown bikes because they are trying to the the 350 to run with the 450 and are so on the edge, they blow up.

Why does Honda switch engines I am sure it has to do with wringing every last pony out of the engine and unsure if the first engine would make it through the 2nd moto. Drag racing cars replace or rebuild engines after every race. When you are on the edge, things fail.

If I was a mechanic for Barcia I would replace the engine on that bike every moto too with him being on the rev-limiter so much.
carlosmacho
6/1/2011 12:20pm
dboivin wrote:
your actually using the "glass half empty vs. half full" mentality. I want my supported manufacture to push the limits every season and see them build...
your actually using the "glass half empty vs. half full" mentality. I want my supported manufacture to push the limits every season and see them build the best bike possible...switching engines out between races is no different that switching rims...switching shocks...its a component. If this helps them achieve a championship....sweet, more power to them. This is WHY riders strive to reach a factory team. You know how many times i wished i could change my riders motor out with an already prepped rebuilt motor for the second moto? or swap a whole wheel vs. changing a tire? c'mon think a little.

leveling the playing field (everyone on a production stock bike) equals the t-ball mentality where everyones a winner, no one loses. It doesn't push technology and we don't get better bikes in the long run brought to us each year.
"If this helps them achieve a championship....sweet, more power to them"

But when you are on the edge the downside is the first engine could have survived a second moto and the second one blows up. Or the mechanic swaps endings and forgets to tighten down a foot peg or something else.

"leveling the playing field (everyone on a production stock bike) equals the t-ball mentality where everyones a winner"

Perhaps do this (stock bike rule) in the 250f class so that younger riders ride bikes with less power. Let the 450s experiment with technology to produce the big ponies and allow that tech to filter down to the 250 class on the production bikes.
6/1/2011 12:25pm
KW had engine issues in moto 1, Probably the same guy that built KW's engine built CR's.
Replacing CR's engine to be on the safe side was probably the smart thing to do.

How bad would they have felt if CR has the same engine failure that KW had but only in the second moto.

Remember at Hangtown they both had air box issues.

Win on Sunday buy on Monday?
Buy MXA shoot-out winner?
Pick a color?

Wink
broman64
6/1/2011 12:26pm
PaleBlue wrote:
I'm just using this statement as an example to point out the obvious... They don't ride stock bikes, much less stock engines... none of them... The stars or the privateers... I would be willing to wager that a factory race bike has been leaned on greater than a privateers bike...Furthermore, racing conditions, ie. weather, obstacles, soil, ect., effect reliability and at some point, you are faced with unforeseen conditions, and your budget is such that allows you to maximimze the reliability of your equipment.... The same goes for all professional motor sports... Are you guys racers, or do you just talk about it?...
this is the point that I ask myself, "why am I here...maybe...can't be..."
BMan-

Post a reply to: New bikes for each moto?

The Latest