New bike to replace 250f?

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/20/2021 3:08pm
Nial, let me give you the 2-stroke fan's opinion:

I hate 4-strokes. They are heavy, ill-handling monstrosities compared to a 2-stroke. Honestly, even though a 250 smoker is heavier than a 250F, it will feel lighter, should you choose that route. (By the way, I'd recommend a 250 over a 125, just because at your weight, you'll be riding the 125 really hard at all times.) If you are a DH pro, you have the bike handling skills to go fast on an MX bike, and it will be easier to do so on a 250. Just understand that it is more violent than your 250F, and quite a bit faster at the snap of the throttle. Be ready for it.

However, the 150SX is like a 125 on steroids. That might be the best option all-around.
NialOx
5/21/2021 12:03am
Falcon wrote:
Nial, let me give you the 2-stroke fan's opinion: I hate 4-strokes. They are heavy, ill-handling monstrosities compared to a 2-stroke. Honestly, even though a 250...
Nial, let me give you the 2-stroke fan's opinion:

I hate 4-strokes. They are heavy, ill-handling monstrosities compared to a 2-stroke. Honestly, even though a 250 smoker is heavier than a 250F, it will feel lighter, should you choose that route. (By the way, I'd recommend a 250 over a 125, just because at your weight, you'll be riding the 125 really hard at all times.) If you are a DH pro, you have the bike handling skills to go fast on an MX bike, and it will be easier to do so on a 250. Just understand that it is more violent than your 250F, and quite a bit faster at the snap of the throttle. Be ready for it.

However, the 150SX is like a 125 on steroids. That might be the best option all-around.
Hi Falcon,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do a few back to back rides I think.

The only thing with the 150s in the UK is they've been hit heavily with covid taxes! We are talking early models for £4000 plus. 250s seem to be the least hard hit as you say they are the hardest to ride.

Former Pro! I was lucky enough to race World Cups when I was younger, but a lack of pace compared to the top top boys coupled with struggling with the mental side of competing as well as some serious head injuries back to back caused me to call it quits!

I might not mind the extra snap. Sometimes when the sand tracks are really rough and whooped out I did feel a lack of snap on the 250f to pick the front wheel up.
5/21/2021 7:45am
NialOx wrote:
Hi Guys, Had my 19" Kx250 for a little while now. Its aprox 30hr on the motor and I'm planning on moving it on. Two immediate...
Hi Guys,

Had my 19" Kx250 for a little while now. Its aprox 30hr on the motor and I'm planning on moving it on.

Two immediate things I've disliked are heavy 4T engine braking, and the weight and inertia.

I'm pretty handy on a bike having been a former Junior pro DH racer. But I can't help but feel I'd be able to ride the bike harder on a two stroke with the weight etc.

The only question is 125 or 250?

In the UK where I am non of our tracks have hills etc, its either hard pack or moderate sand. Fat Cats is the closest and on the 250f I'm mostly 3rd and 4th gear pinned. I am 6ft 2 and 225lbs without kit.

The 250f felt about right power wise but I don't think I'd mind having slightly less if it means I can ride it harder.

So really I want to know the differences in the chassis and handling characteristics of the 125 and 250 2t. Is there a significant feeling of added weight? Or is the 250 as easy to throw around as a 125.

Part of me thinks get a 125, maximise my ability on that even if its slightly underpowered.

The main thing to me is being able to throw the bike around. As long as it's got the power to get me going.

Cheers
I‘ve owned a lot of different KTM‘s over the last 20Years.
125 -144 -150- 250 -300SX and 250-350SXF by far the best bike i have ever ridden is the 300 SX

Last Summer i was looking for a 250SX and was lucky to find one with 300cc Kit
Was concerned about the Power and expected a Two Stroke Monster but it isn‘t

Light , fast but easy to ride Power is compareable to the 350SXF but you can tune/detune it with different PV Springs -PV Adjuster and 2 Mappings
NialOx
5/22/2021 1:08pm
Hi everyone,

So it’s all gone a little crazy the last day or two. Rode a 250 and liked it, but there were no decent ones around. Rode a 125 and loved it despite it being a little slower. It was just nice to choose lines and focus on carrying speed.

Couldn’t test a 150. But I’m assuming I’ll love it.

So whilst the search for a good 150 continues I saw a bit of a gem on eBay that I couldn’t help but buy for now as it was sensible money

2006 RM125, spent its whole life plodding around on a farm in the woods as a trail bike. Never been on a track in its life. Just been tidying it up and putting in springs for my weight this afternoon.

It’s spookily clean minus a bit of foot rub - plan is to enjoy whilst the search for a clean and not ridiculously expensive 150 continues.

The Shop

Teejay
Fantasy
889th
5/22/2021 1:11pm
Nice, can’t beat an Rm, get that properly dialed and forget about the 150!
NialOx
5/22/2021 1:15pm
Teejay wrote:
Any tips for getting it dialled? I’m pretty sure a mate has a FMF pipe for one laying about.

I’ve also seen you can do 135/4 kits I believe?
chump6784
5/22/2021 1:23pm
NialOx wrote:
Hi everyone, So it’s all gone a little crazy the last day or two. Rode a 250 and liked it, but there were no decent ones...
Hi everyone,

So it’s all gone a little crazy the last day or two. Rode a 250 and liked it, but there were no decent ones around. Rode a 125 and loved it despite it being a little slower. It was just nice to choose lines and focus on carrying speed.

So whilst the search for a good 150 continues I saw a bit of a gem on eBay that I couldn’t help but buy for now as it was sensible money

2006 RM125, spent its whole life plodding around on a farm in the woods as a trail bike. Never been on a track in its life. Just been tidying it up and putting in springs for my weight this afternoon.

It’s spookily clean minus a bit of foot rub - plan is to enjoy whilst the search for a clean and not ridiculously expensive 150 continues.

Nice find. I had an 07 RM250 and the wife had an 04RM125. Both were great bikes. You should have a lot of fun on that
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
5/22/2021 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2021 1:29pm
Nice find!
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
5/22/2021 1:31pm
Teejay wrote:
NialOx wrote:
Any tips for getting it dialled? I’m pretty sure a mate has a FMF pipe for one laying about. I’ve also seen you can do 135/4...
Any tips for getting it dialled? I’m pretty sure a mate has a FMF pipe for one laying about.

Get the suspension working properly for you and these can rip. Turn better than anything in my opinion, yeah they’re not the fastest without a bit of work but for me, the frame geometry and overall feel of the bike can’t be beat. I’m just running a pro circuit pipe and shorty, jetted to suit that pipe.

Make sure you run a Ktm plug, or the Ngk plug of the era (can’t remember the number off the too of my head) because the end can vibrate off and destroy the barrel and piston.
NialOx
5/22/2021 1:44pm
Teejay wrote:
NialOx wrote:
Any tips for getting it dialled? I’m pretty sure a mate has a FMF pipe for one laying about. I’ve also seen you can do 135/4...

Teejay wrote:
Get the suspension working properly for you and these can rip. Turn better than anything in my opinion, yeah they’re not the fastest without a bit...
Get the suspension working properly for you and these can rip. Turn better than anything in my opinion, yeah they’re not the fastest without a bit of work but for me, the frame geometry and overall feel of the bike can’t be beat. I’m just running a pro circuit pipe and shorty, jetted to suit that pipe.

Make sure you run a Ktm plug, or the Ngk plug of the era (can’t remember the number off the too of my head) because the end can vibrate off and destroy the barrel and piston.
Cheers I’ll look into it.

I’ve put a 58 spring on the back. Not a ordered fork springs yet.

I’ll look into getting the right plug. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the original one!

Have you ever looked into increasing the bore slightly?
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
5/22/2021 1:52pm
NialOx wrote:

Teejay wrote:
Get the suspension working properly for you and these can rip. Turn better than anything in my opinion, yeah they’re not the fastest without a bit...

NialOx wrote:
Cheers I’ll look into it. I’ve put a 58 spring on the back. Not a ordered fork springs yet. I’ll look into getting the right plug...

I’ll look into getting the right plug. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the original one!

Yeah definitely change the plug, I didn’t when I got mine and after 3 hours the end fell off and destroyed the piston and damaged the liner. Apparently it’s pretty common too. Don’t want you to end up with the same situation!

There’s a few guys on here that run a 144, i believe Ryan625 has one, he might be worth sending a message to. I personally don’t have any experience with one so can’t really comment.
NialOx
5/22/2021 2:02pm
Teejay wrote:

NialOx wrote:
Cheers I’ll look into it. I’ve put a 58 spring on the back. Not a ordered fork springs yet. I’ll look into getting the right plug...

Teejay wrote:
Yeah definitely change the plug, I didn’t when I got mine and after 3 hours the end fell off and destroyed the piston and damaged the...
Yeah definitely change the plug, I didn’t when I got mine and after 3 hours the end fell off and destroyed the piston and damaged the liner. Apparently it’s pretty common too. Don’t want you to end up with the same situation!

There’s a few guys on here that run a 144, i believe Ryan625 has one, he might be worth sending a message to. I personally don’t have any experience with one so can’t really comment.
I’ll definitely make a point of changing the plug before I ride it!

Have you ever seen the 144 kit for sale in the U.K.?
Might be a thing to do when it’s due a bottom end too
chump6784
5/22/2021 2:26pm
The mechanic I took my bikes to said the 134 setup was good on those bikes. He still has an 03 that is trick.

On my wife's bike he also cut the head and lightened the flywheel got more snap out of corners. He was also a fan of the pro circuit pipe on that bike
BogDogPenny
5/22/2021 4:50pm
NialOx wrote:
Hi everyone, So it’s all gone a little crazy the last day or two. Rode a 250 and liked it, but there were no decent ones...
Hi everyone,

Wow! Great find. I thought Pastrana broke all of those
Richy
5/23/2021 2:29pm
That's sick, nice work man 👌 Enjoy yourself, not sure where you are but we have a private hire at BWL MX in Wales on Wednesday, super short notice and probably miles away, but you're welcome along (with a mate or two) if the stars align, £35 a head from 10-3.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/23/2021 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2021 8:44pm
If you are that heavy ( compared to the target 125 pilot ) and you are not so talented, riding on tight sandy tracks, listen up...
If you are that heavy ( compared to the target 125 pilot ) and you are not so talented, riding on tight sandy tracks, listen up, bog zap, bog zap bog zap.

Do anything possible to get a ride on a 125 before you buy.
This. Definitely do not buy a 125 to have as your sole bike before getting a good try on one. I have one, and I love it, but I would not want it to be my only bike. I have a 350 also.

I cannot tell you how many old/big/Vet guys thought they had the 125 fever and told me they were going to get one because they were sick of their heavy 4-stroke.. then I offered to let them try mine and they hopped off after 1-2 laps and said I have no idea how you ride this thing, it has no power at all. And my 125 is tuned to the tits and rips.

Edit: just saw the RM125 buy. I recall the stock jetting being pretty rich on these. Prepare to become one with the Mikuni.
NialOx
5/24/2021 12:29am
If you are that heavy ( compared to the target 125 pilot ) and you are not so talented, riding on tight sandy tracks, listen up...
If you are that heavy ( compared to the target 125 pilot ) and you are not so talented, riding on tight sandy tracks, listen up, bog zap, bog zap bog zap.

Do anything possible to get a ride on a 125 before you buy.
FGR01 wrote:
This. Definitely do not buy a 125 to have as your sole bike before getting a good try on one. I have one, and I love...
This. Definitely do not buy a 125 to have as your sole bike before getting a good try on one. I have one, and I love it, but I would not want it to be my only bike. I have a 350 also.

I cannot tell you how many old/big/Vet guys thought they had the 125 fever and told me they were going to get one because they were sick of their heavy 4-stroke.. then I offered to let them try mine and they hopped off after 1-2 laps and said I have no idea how you ride this thing, it has no power at all. And my 125 is tuned to the tits and rips.

Edit: just saw the RM125 buy. I recall the stock jetting being pretty rich on these. Prepare to become one with the Mikuni.
I've still got my 250f for now! So not my sole bike!

I just bought it as it was a killer deal.

Still on the search for a nice 150 - prices are mental here and I'm not parting with four grand for a 2012 model!

NialOx
5/24/2021 12:30am
Richy wrote:
That's sick, nice work man 👌 Enjoy yourself, not sure where you are but we have a private hire at BWL MX in Wales on Wednesday...
That's sick, nice work man 👌 Enjoy yourself, not sure where you are but we have a private hire at BWL MX in Wales on Wednesday, super short notice and probably miles away, but you're welcome along (with a mate or two) if the stars align, £35 a head from 10-3.
I'm a good distance from you! West Yorkshire!

You'll have to give me a shout if you ever come to ride the tracks my way, Gale Common, Fat Cats, DMP etc
nytsmaC
5/24/2021 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2021 3:26pm
FGR01 wrote:
This. Definitely do not buy a 125 to have as your sole bike before getting a good try on one. I have one, and I love...

I had that experience when I got my first 125. My 2010 Husky CR125 was almost unrideable for me, it had absolutely zero bottom/mid and way too hard to keep it on the pipe. It was fast up top but way too hard to keep it singing. I had serious doubts about just being too big/heavy for it. Then I slapped a massaged 144 kit on and it completely transformed it into the best bike I’d ever owned, up until that point. Still lots of shifting and clutch abuse but it was not a chore to keep it on the pipe. Eventually I turned it into a 165, not because the 144 wasn’t enough, but because I had this complete 125 cylinder that I was never going to use again, so I figured why not? If some is good, more is better, right?

I had multiple bikes during my time spent owning 144’s and the other bikes just sat there collecting dust. If I’d kept that CR125 in stock trim it would have definitely been a novelty bike and would not have gotten ridden much. I have a 300 and a 450 now and I just play ride, old fat and crippled. If I were going to start riding moto again on a regular basis I’d definitely get another 144 and I might keep one of these bikes for the woods.
5/24/2021 9:41pm
Nice score, very clean RM. Very popular arenacross bike, the Bill,s shelf pipe is what the pro,s used in ax. My last RM 125 was a 01, srs hgs pipe and piston, fmf ignition made by wolf and carbon tech reeds, there is 2 versions low to mid or mid to top. They work. Stock cylinder and I got protested for an illegal engine. I checked out the UK,s ax races, very exciting series.

Post a reply to: New bike to replace 250f?

The Latest