New bike suggestions?

Austin269
Hey guys,
I'm buying a new (or used) bike to start back racing and to have fun with my kid and am looking for a bit of advice since I have been out of the game for 10 years. A little back ground, I grew up racing 2strokes and made the switch to a 250f in 04' but quit racing a couple years later.
I plan on racing at least once a month and I have experience and can do my own mechanical work, but my biggest struggle is the fact that I am ignorant of the modern era of bikes and their abilities. I weigh 210lbs so that is a factor I'm sure, but I'm stuck in between getting a 250 2 stroke or a 450 4 stroke. I hear horror stories of the 2k it takes to redo a 450 when it eats a top end so that makes me weary but also I know 2 strokes go through top ends also. What is the more reliable these days since I will be racing on a budget? And are there any certain brands or year models y'all prefer?

Thanks in advance!
|
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/18/2017 10:40pm
Tough to go wrong these days. The Austrian 2Ts are monsters, the Yamaha 2Ts have incredible suspension. The 4 strokes are crazy competitive. The 2018 Zook should bring it up with the rest of the pack as well.

The KTM is light and narrow, the Kawi is narrow and has some great adjustability in power profiles and ergoes, I'm hearing great things about the new Honda. The Suzuki turns like no other. Yamaha has some great new tech, not sure it's all sorted out with them quite yet but people do like the bikes.

As far as expenses go, as long as you treat it well and don't beat the living hell out of it you'll be fine, the new 450s aren't the time bombs of yesteryear, and 2 strokes are getting more expensive to rebuild. I say pick whatever feels right to you.

Post a reply to: New bike suggestions?

The Latest