New Zealand Moto Scene

motorscross
Fantasy
538th
Theres a chance I will be fortunate enough to live in New Zealand for 6 months to a year next winter, but as whiny as it may sound, I really dont want to live without a dirt bike that long. Looking to live on the south island, particularly near Queenstown if possible. Anyone know how the used market is there? Would it be easy enough to find a decent YZ250 or something like that? Also how accessible are the tracks and trails around there? Another issue I would run into is a vehicle, hows the used market of old shitbox trucks?

Thanks for any info!
|
blueracer
2/25/2019 8:59am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 11:43am
You’ll manage to find plenty of riding spots every weekend anywhere around New Zealand.

Search www.trademe.co.nz
That’s NZ’s version of ebay, you can search for anything on there, including cars and motorbikes. So flick through that. That’s how most used bikes and cars are sold around the country.

Also look at www.silverbullet.co.nz and search under the event tab to find any trail rides or motocross events that are happening around the country.

And there are plenty of open tracks everywhere you go, I’m not familiar with south island tracks but someone else I’m sure will point you in the right direction.

Rotaholic
2/25/2019 10:30am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 10:30am
You will want a van in NZ, perfect for getting changed in when it's cold. Back flips is in timaru and there is tracks in mosgiel and supercross in Winton. I highly recommend doing some snowboarding and mountain biking down there!
Let me know if you are in the North Island, theres about 10 tracks 30 mins drive from my house
mikenz7
2/25/2019 11:41am
Hey mate
Riding in and around queenstown is unreal, massive amounts of public access land for XC riding, closest track is 45 mins and is so so
2nd hand market is rubbish in queenstown better to look in christchurch on the way through
Winter is pretty gnarly down this way, and a lot of the riding is at or above the snowline, get into snowboarding or skiing and buy your season pass now as the price goes up substantially every month until season starts
Search queenstown motocross on facebook

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
2/25/2019 9:47pm
There is plenty of racing in the bottom of the South Island , with the Southern Mx series With multiple rounds 2-3 hours from Queenstown , also the southern dirt bike riders run a lot of meetings in Southland probably 1 hour from Queenstown , and there is plenty of trail riding to be had closer than that as well
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
2/25/2019 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 11:09pm
Check out trademe.co.nz for used bikes. Join the FB group "moto garage nz" and tell everyone where your from and what you want to do - Kiwis will come out of the woodwork to help you out and give you pointers. We are good like that. Try and travel to the north island while you are here - As rotoholic said - in the central north island there are hundreds of mx tracks.
Tonynz
2/26/2019 11:39am
I’m in Christchurch, if you need any help etc let me know.
2/27/2019 10:22pm
You will most likely fly into Auckland ( north island ) by far the biggest population base .
So best choice of vans and motorcycle s to buy from .

Driving to Queenstown no big deal compared to USA distances ,including the ferry and a good way to save on buy price and see the country too.

If you need help place to stay to buy van / bike give me a yell.

Post a reply to: New Zealand Moto Scene

The Latest