Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2015 10:57am
|
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
10/6/2015 9:56am
Nice. About time they modernised it. They'll sell twice as many of those than any other off road bike over here; the current model is still top 5 in sales
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 10:15am
Hell yeah, that's sick! Should be a fun bike, it's about time they came out with an answer to the KTMs (even if it's 10 years too late...)

No anniversary yellow though... Sad
Titan1
10/6/2015 10:33am
I like it!

Good to see Japan (at least one of them) trying to answer KTM...and with the forks on the KTM XC's (4cs) compared to the forks on that Yamaha (KYB SSS)...it makes it a no brainer for the Yamaha.
10/6/2015 10:50am
Awesome.

Hey Yamaha. Just make the 270mm disc standard on every dirtbike 125cc+ that rolls out of your factory. thank you in advance!!!

The Shop

10/6/2015 11:26am
Interesting. Is it realistic to think that someone could take the FX and make a few changes to have a race ready 450F with electric start? A sign of things to come for 2017?
10/6/2015 11:52am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 11:55am
Wet Weight: 262 lb Unsure

the WR has a wet weight of 271 lb. Nice looking bike, but wow.
MtnBoy
10/6/2015 11:52am
Interesting. Is it realistic to think that someone could take the FX and make a few changes to have a race ready 450F with electric start...
Interesting. Is it realistic to think that someone could take the FX and make a few changes to have a race ready 450F with electric start? A sign of things to come for 2017?
100% possible.

Hell, I used to make some "moto babies" feel pretty dumb on my KLX 450, used to put the headlight on just for MX days to rub it in a little more.

cwtoyota
10/6/2015 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 12:31pm
Interesting. Is it realistic to think that someone could take the FX and make a few changes to have a race ready 450F with electric start...
MtnBoy wrote:
100% possible. Hell, I used to make some "moto babies" feel pretty dumb on my KLX 450, used to put the headlight on just for MX...
100% possible.

Hell, I used to make some "moto babies" feel pretty dumb on my KLX 450, used to put the headlight on just for MX days to rub it in a little more.

I have been thinking about this... I don't think you would have to convert the FX. I'm betting they just added a flywheel gear with a one way bearing and the starter motor is attached to the flywheel cover. That's how Febvre's bike looks to be done, although it uses an aftermarket cover.

I'm going to bet that it will be possible to order the OEM parts from Yamaha and simply install them on a YZ450F. Of course, you still have to come up with a battery, a solenoid, a start button and some wiring.

Titan1
10/6/2015 12:37pm

What is the Wet Weight of a YZ450 motocrosser? Isn't it like 245lbs? Did the e-start add 20 lbs? Good grief.
10/6/2015 1:03pm
MtnBoy wrote:
100% possible. Hell, I used to make some "moto babies" feel pretty dumb on my KLX 450, used to put the headlight on just for MX...
100% possible.

cwtoyota wrote:
I have been thinking about this... I don't think you would have to convert the FX. I'm betting they just added a flywheel gear with a...
I have been thinking about this... I don't think you would have to convert the FX. I'm betting they just added a flywheel gear with a one way bearing and the starter motor is attached to the flywheel cover. That's how Febvre's bike looks to be done, although it uses an aftermarket cover.

I'm going to bet that it will be possible to order the OEM parts from Yamaha and simply install them on a YZ450F. Of course, you still have to come up with a battery, a solenoid, a start button and some wiring.

It's basically a 450F with extra's. Just strip off the extras and put a 19 inch rear wheel on it. Boom, electric start YZ450F. I'm mainly wondering if any US teams will be able to use electric start even though it's not stock on a 450F. If they did, would it be entered as a YZ450FX to get around production rules? Silly
TeamGreen
10/6/2015 1:15pm
That "X" has "Me" written all over it...in Rockstar-OTSFF plastic, of-course!
cwtoyota
10/6/2015 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 1:37pm

Titan1 wrote:
What is the Wet Weight of a YZ450 motocrosser? Isn't it like 245lbs? Did the e-start add 20 lbs? Good grief.
Not just the e-start... The off-road models have other "junk" like skid-plates, kick-stands, etc...

I weighed my 2014 YZ450F on my bathroom scale with a full tank of gas, ready to ride. It showed 238 lbs.
That's not exactly a calibrated scale though, so it's probably off by 2 or 3 pounds.

Aside from a Pro-Circuit T6 muffler (OEM header), Scott grips and some stick-on numbers, it was bone stock down to the OEM tires, tubes, chain and sprockets.

For reference, on that scale my steel framed '02 YZ250 was 226 and my '11 YZ125 was 203... Both full of fuel.

cwtoyota
10/6/2015 1:41pm
It's basically a 450F with extra's. Just strip off the extras and put a 19 inch rear wheel on it. Boom, electric start YZ450F. I'm mainly...
It's basically a 450F with extra's. Just strip off the extras and put a 19 inch rear wheel on it. Boom, electric start YZ450F. I'm mainly wondering if any US teams will be able to use electric start even though it's not stock on a 450F. If they did, would it be entered as a YZ450FX to get around production rules? Silly
I was thinking in terms of a guy like myself who already owns a YZ. The suspension and ECU on the off-road model are different, probably camshafts too, like the older WR's.

I don't think Yamaha would pay the AMA and homologate the YZ450FX model... However, if the parts just bolt on to the YZ anyone could race with the e-start.

gpracer36
10/6/2015 1:47pm

Titan1 wrote:
this is my issue too. 262lbs. Ok, back out the fuel, 14 lbs, you are at 248. That is still 10 lbs heavy that the yzf450 dry.

The tires are most likely a pound each more than the stock yzf. Kickstand maybe a pound, two at the most. Skid plate a pound, battery on a KTM is only a little more than a pound, started, maybe two? I mentioned 6 or 7 pounds. What else?
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 1:52pm
So what is the reasoning behind making two bikes, a YZ450FX and a WR450f? Couldn't you just do like the KTMs and make the YZFX light-compatible? I'm failing to see the difference between the two models besides the lights and skid plate... Seems like they'd be better off just stripping the lights off the WR and calling it the YZX... Then let the people add what they want. It's not like the WR is street-legal anyway, so what's the point?

And you guys are forgetting the YZ450FX has a different tranny than the moto version...
Titan1
10/6/2015 1:56pm

Titan1 wrote:
gpracer36 wrote:
this is my issue too. 262lbs. Ok, back out the fuel, 14 lbs, you are at 248. That is still 10 lbs heavy that the yzf450...
this is my issue too. 262lbs. Ok, back out the fuel, 14 lbs, you are at 248. That is still 10 lbs heavy that the yzf450 dry.

The tires are most likely a pound each more than the stock yzf. Kickstand maybe a pound, two at the most. Skid plate a pound, battery on a KTM is only a little more than a pound, started, maybe two? I mentioned 6 or 7 pounds. What else?
I didn't see it anywhere, but maybe it has a larger stock tank than the YZf? And that added fuel capacity increased the Wet weight? (IMS makes an oversized tank for the YZF's, and you can't even tell its there...so that could be the case). That could possibly explain it.

As an off road guy, my YZ450 has a skid plate, an oversized tank (3.2 gallons) plus other armor...so I'm sure its weight weight is up that at about $262...I should drag the bathroom scale out to the garage and test it out.

MtnBoy
10/6/2015 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 2:00pm
TailSoHard wrote:
So what is the reasoning behind making two bikes, a YZ450FX and a WR450f? Couldn't you just do like the KTMs and make the YZFX light-compatible...
So what is the reasoning behind making two bikes, a YZ450FX and a WR450f? Couldn't you just do like the KTMs and make the YZFX light-compatible? I'm failing to see the difference between the two models besides the lights and skid plate... Seems like they'd be better off just stripping the lights off the WR and calling it the YZX... Then let the people add what they want. It's not like the WR is street-legal anyway, so what's the point?

And you guys are forgetting the YZ450FX has a different tranny than the moto version...
The X is probably a "closed course competition" bike and the WR is open to use in more places where they have restrictions like Comie-fornia.

I'd also think the X has a lot less of a choked up motor than the WR.

The WR is street legal in some states.
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 2:00pm
gpracer36 wrote:
this is my issue too. 262lbs. Ok, back out the fuel, 14 lbs, you are at 248. That is still 10 lbs heavy that the yzf450...

Does the "dry weight" count the weight of the oil and coolant? There's another pound or two right there. Plus I think that battery will probably weigh more than a pound...

And I was always under the impression that gas weighed 8 pounds per gallon (could be wrong)

So, math:

262lbs, minus 2.1 gallons fuel (16.8 lbs) equals 245.2

245.2 minus tires (2 lbs), kickstand (1lb), skid plate (.5lb), battery (2lbs), oil and coolant (2 lbs)... you're left with 237.7lbs. It's possible I guess
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2015 2:07pm
MtnBoy wrote:
The X is probably a "closed course competition" bike and the WR is open to use in more places where they have restrictions like Comie-fornia. I'd...
The X is probably a "closed course competition" bike and the WR is open to use in more places where they have restrictions like Comie-fornia.

I'd also think the X has a lot less of a choked up motor than the WR.

The WR is street legal in some states.
Ah, I always forget about our country-within-a-country... Don't get over there too often lol

Also, what states is it street-legal in? I know in Michigan you're required to have DOT-approved tires, a horn, and a high/low beam headlight (and a brake light, which I think it already has). You can make it street-legal in an afternoon, but I wasn't aware that some states allow it to be titled that way right from the factory. (I'm not trying to be an asshole, I legitimately am curious for my own knowledge in case I ever need to get a bike street-legalized out of state...)
BAMX
10/6/2015 2:05pm
I am glad to see that at least one of the big 4 isn't going to just let KTM walk away with the offroad sales. I swear that the D37 races look like Halloween these days.
Titan1
10/6/2015 2:09pm
gpracer36 wrote:

TailSoHard wrote:
Does the "dry weight" count the weight of the oil and coolant? There's another pound or two right there. Plus I think that battery will probably...
Does the "dry weight" count the weight of the oil and coolant? There's another pound or two right there. Plus I think that battery will probably weigh more than a pound...

And I was always under the impression that gas weighed 8 pounds per gallon (could be wrong)

So, math:

262lbs, minus 2.1 gallons fuel (16.8 lbs) equals 245.2

245.2 minus tires (2 lbs), kickstand (1lb), skid plate (.5lb), battery (2lbs), oil and coolant (2 lbs)... you're left with 237.7lbs. It's possible I guess
dry weight is completely dry...no fuel, no coolant, no oil...

And I just noticed that it has a 2 gallon tank...which is the same at the motocrosser. That's a miss on Yamaha's part...they should have put a larger tank on it.
TeamGreen
10/6/2015 2:10pm
Kickstand
Battery
Starter
Larger Tank
18" Rear Wheel w/larger Cross-Section Tire
Electrical Harness w/ added features/connections

I'm thinking there's a Motocross racer hiding in there...
MtnBoy
10/6/2015 2:13pm
TailSoHard wrote:
Ah, I always forget about our country-within-a-country... Don't get over there too often lol Also, what states is it street-legal in? I know in Michigan you're...
Ah, I always forget about our country-within-a-country... Don't get over there too often lol

Also, what states is it street-legal in? I know in Michigan you're required to have DOT-approved tires, a horn, and a high/low beam headlight (and a brake light, which I think it already has). You can make it street-legal in an afternoon, but I wasn't aware that some states allow it to be titled that way right from the factory. (I'm not trying to be an asshole, I legitimately am curious for my own knowledge in case I ever need to get a bike street-legalized out of state...)
I have a WR that's plated in Idaho, but I did have to put a mirror on it.
Titan1
10/6/2015 2:13pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Kickstand
Battery
Starter
Larger Tank

Yo, tank is the same size as the motocrosser.
TeamGreen
10/6/2015 2:18pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Kickstand
Battery
Starter
Larger Tank

Titan1 wrote:
I think the MX tank is 1.6 & the X is 2...?
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 2:21pm
MtnBoy wrote:
I have a WR that's plated in Idaho, but I did have to put a mirror on it.
Well yeah, I had a plated WR250f a couple years ago in Michigan too, but I had to add different tires, a mirror and a horn before the police would sign off on it. Yamaha sells a street-legal WR250R from the factory still, but the WR250f and 450f don't come with all the necessary goodies to do that right from the factory. I was under the assumption that you meant that dealers could sell them with license plates and the customers would get a street-legal title for it right away. You can make any bike street legal, but they don't come with a street legal title from the factory.

That's why I was asking, cause it would be just as easy to add lights to the YZ with some quick connectors behind the number plates (like KTM) since you have to add all that other stuff anyway... Or just sell the WR as an EXC-style dual sport bike...

But I know absolutely nothing about what dirt bikes are allowed to ride in what areas in california, so that could be the missing piece in my knowledge pizza.
TailSoHard
10/6/2015 2:23pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I think we had the same discussion when the 250FX came out, somebody proved me wrong and I discovered that it is indeed the same size tank. Not sure why they market it as having a larger tank...
Titan1
10/6/2015 2:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Kickstand
Battery
Starter
Larger Tank

Titan1 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Yamaha website says MXer is 112kg/s (1.98 gallons).

Post a reply to: New Yamaha off-road 450

The Latest