New FIM World Supercross Championship

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
2/23/2022 1:57pm
jesta wrote:
Interview on the Inside Supercars podcast with SX Global MD Ryan Sanderson gives a few more details about the plans: [url=https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK]https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK [/url] 2022 series to start...
Interview on the Inside Supercars podcast with SX Global MD Ryan Sanderson gives a few more details about the plans:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK

2022 series to start either in second week in September or first week of October to avoid a clash with US SX/MX.

Will be a 5 race series this year with a plan for one race in North/South America (potentially both), Europe, Asia, Middle East and Australia/New Zealand. Hoping for at least 10 races in 2023.

Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas mentioned as a potential venue due to retractable surface, other cities they are looking at (but not limited to) are Paris, Singapore, Dubai and Jakarta. Presumably they would pick somewhere like Melbourne or Auckland for the Australia/New Zealand round as per previous events there.

Major international financial partner to be announced in the next week or so to support the series for the next 10 years or more.

When asked about potential names, Ryan mentioned Webb, Tomac, Anderson and the Lawrence brothers, so it would appear they are hoping to attract this calibre of rider? I wonder if perhaps the timing and short-length of the series could tempt them this year at least?
the more i think, the more i realise these bigger names being more tempted.
Back end of the career, older and enjoying/ appreciating what they do.

Getting a chance to race 10 races all over the world for a short series, pay day and an amazing experience. I can see these riders like Tomac, Anderson, Wilson, Marvin etc.. Who just want to enjoy the racing they have left while still the biggest names in the sport.
Wouldn't be surprised to even see Kenny have some fun.
HD1200
2/23/2022 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/23/2022 5:32pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
I’m genuinely surprised that Feld doesn’t own the name “Supercross.”
That would be like the NFL owning the name football.
Skuzzy29
2/23/2022 5:50pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
HD1200 wrote:
They own the name "Super Bowl" so it wouldn't be out of the question.
Danny818
2/23/2022 11:20pm
If those top riders are interested in racing the World Supercross series, could really hurt
the outdoor series. They are going to go where they can make more money. Why race
Motocross anymore?

The Shop

fanger
2/23/2022 11:52pm
jesta wrote:
Interview on the Inside Supercars podcast with SX Global MD Ryan Sanderson gives a few more details about the plans: [url=https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK]https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK [/url] 2022 series to start...
Interview on the Inside Supercars podcast with SX Global MD Ryan Sanderson gives a few more details about the plans:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0EuGnId3YBSV0eBJpIDkTK

2022 series to start either in second week in September or first week of October to avoid a clash with US SX/MX.

Will be a 5 race series this year with a plan for one race in North/South America (potentially both), Europe, Asia, Middle East and Australia/New Zealand. Hoping for at least 10 races in 2023.

Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas mentioned as a potential venue due to retractable surface, other cities they are looking at (but not limited to) are Paris, Singapore, Dubai and Jakarta. Presumably they would pick somewhere like Melbourne or Auckland for the Australia/New Zealand round as per previous events there.

Major international financial partner to be announced in the next week or so to support the series for the next 10 years or more.

When asked about potential names, Ryan mentioned Webb, Tomac, Anderson and the Lawrence brothers, so it would appear they are hoping to attract this calibre of rider? I wonder if perhaps the timing and short-length of the series could tempt them this year at least?
And here I was thinking it would be multiple rounds in aus and 1 in new Zealand or something. Sounds the goods.
RaceFace58
3/1/2022 3:43am
It didn’t say prize money is $250,000 per event it said that amount is up for grabs. Not sure if that means it’s all purse. It also says they’ll be paying seed money to riders and appearance money. It also sounds like not just anyone can try to race as there are only 10 “Team Licenses” available. For this to be a success the MXGPs will take a big hit after this initial 5 race test year.
drudd21
3/1/2022 3:48am
RaceFace58 wrote:
It didn’t say prize money is $250,000 per event it said that amount is up for grabs. Not sure if that means it’s all purse. It...
It didn’t say prize money is $250,000 per event it said that amount is up for grabs. Not sure if that means it’s all purse. It also says they’ll be paying seed money to riders and appearance money. It also sounds like not just anyone can try to race as there are only 10 “Team Licenses” available. For this to be a success the MXGPs will take a big hit after this initial 5 race test year.
This is from the official press release:

“In 2022, a guaranteed $250,000 (USD) prize pool will be awarded per event making it the richest prize purse in the sport of Supercross' history.”

Could be interpreted in in two different ways, but I’m reading that it will be $250,000 per event.
fanger
3/1/2022 3:50am
CPR wrote:
New details released: 2022 series will be September to November. 2023- July to November. Prize money will be $250000 per event. These guys are serious. More...
New details released: 2022 series will be September to November. 2023- July to November. Prize money will be $250000 per event. These guys are serious.

More details at RacerX:
https://racerxonline.com/2022/03/01/between-the-motos-fim-supercross-wo…
Don't think they'll struggle to find riders
ATKpilot99
3/1/2022 3:51am
They plan to run during the outdoors and GPs ? I hope it fails .
RaceFace58
3/1/2022 3:51am
Moto Mofo wrote:
HD1200 wrote:
Skuzzy29 wrote:
They own the name "Super Bowl" so it wouldn't be out of the question.
I looked it up and Feld does indeed own this: “SX Supercross”. A guy named Bill Ryan owns “Supercross”. Apparently it’s used on bicycle parts.
lestat
3/1/2022 3:53am
CPR wrote:
New details released: 2022 series will be September to November. 2023- July to November. Prize money will be $250000 per event. These guys are serious. More...
New details released: 2022 series will be September to November. 2023- July to November. Prize money will be $250000 per event. These guys are serious.

More details at RacerX:
https://racerxonline.com/2022/03/01/between-the-motos-fim-supercross-wo…
Mubadala Capital, the asset management subsidiary of Mubadala Investment Company, one of the world’s leading sovereign investors with US$243 billion of assets under management, today announced its investment in SX Global, an Australian company established to develop, promote, and commercialize the FIM Supercross World Championship .

243 billion is definitely serious …
Gravel
3/1/2022 5:28am
This will kill the outdoors, worldwide, if riders can make a decent living racing indoors year round.

It’ll be interesting to see how much the structured team rule tangles things up, I bet if a top rider wants to do one or two races some team will boot their riders to make room..

The whole thing feels like WWF on wheels
Motofinne
3/1/2022 5:28am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2022 9:32am
And this is why MX Sports should be very worried.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
3/1/2022 5:49am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2022 5:50am
This sounds very similar to the new golf league Greg Norman is trying to get off the ground to compete with the PGA. The venture is financially backed by the Saudi Public Investment Fund, and they are trying to money-whip big names to leave the PGA and join the new league. They haven't gained any traction yet.
luke11
Fantasy
2263rd
3/1/2022 6:02am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2022 6:02am
I think this is really going to shake things up. The world outside of USA is screaming for real supercross. If they get this right and attract the right level of talent they could be selling out stadiums with ease.
Not only that, if they become that successful teams will quickly want to get involved as the sponsors will be wanting exposure in these new markets.
I think this could be the start of a real divide between motocross and supercross where we will have some teams only doing one or the other. Or maybe having a rider line up for indoors and a separate team for outdoors?
However you look at it, if you think it’s a good idea or not we’ve all got to be happy collectively at this level of investment coming into the sport. A rising tide floats all boats or whatever that stupid saying is..
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
3/1/2022 6:22am
Will be interesting to see how long the money lasts.
10 yrs ??
🤔
The $50m investment is over 5 years.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/1/2022 6:24am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2022 6:25am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I’m with you, I like having both SX and MX but If it steals riders from either MXGP or Nationals that would suck.
ATKpilot99
3/1/2022 7:11am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
I’m with you, I like having both SX and MX but If it steals riders from either MXGP or Nationals that would suck.
Yeah definitely. I guess I should say I hope it fails to draw riders away from those series' . I think there would be more chance of poaching riders from the AMA series .
davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/1/2022 7:19am
I hope this actually grows the sport, instead of diverting funds from outdoors to SX... very cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this results in more factory spots available, not just sending the spot to a different series. Could be great for Deano, Roczen, Reed, and Brayton to ride off into the sunset with a lot more cash. Maybe Mookie after next year?
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
3/1/2022 9:06am
luke11 wrote:
I think this is really going to shake things up. The world outside of USA is screaming for real supercross. If they get this right and...
I think this is really going to shake things up. The world outside of USA is screaming for real supercross. If they get this right and attract the right level of talent they could be selling out stadiums with ease.
Not only that, if they become that successful teams will quickly want to get involved as the sponsors will be wanting exposure in these new markets.
I think this could be the start of a real divide between motocross and supercross where we will have some teams only doing one or the other. Or maybe having a rider line up for indoors and a separate team for outdoors?
However you look at it, if you think it’s a good idea or not we’ve all got to be happy collectively at this level of investment coming into the sport. A rising tide floats all boats or whatever that stupid saying is..
The world outside USA, with a few races in small arenas in Europe , has always struggled to keep sx paying for itself , Australia has had a few good years with the current promoters but this is a big cal to try to get it world wide, 50mil over 5 years is not a huge amount of money to run 10 races all over the globe
kijen
3/1/2022 9:28am
davis224 wrote:
I hope this actually grows the sport, instead of diverting funds from outdoors to SX... very cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this results in more factory spots available...
I hope this actually grows the sport, instead of diverting funds from outdoors to SX... very cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this results in more factory spots available, not just sending the spot to a different series. Could be great for Deano, Roczen, Reed, and Brayton to ride off into the sunset with a lot more cash. Maybe Mookie after next year?
I dont think pro racing actaully grows the sport, the sport is most likely shrinking due to acces to land or tracks and cost of bikes, maintenace etc.
Agree it could make pro racing more visible to the viewer. My opinion the weekend rider is keeping the sport alive, not the racers or pro promoters, a lot more dirt bike riders than racers.
Robgvx
3/1/2022 9:40am
Well, that’ll get people’s attention…
LungButter
3/1/2022 9:53am
davis224 wrote:
I hope this actually grows the sport, instead of diverting funds from outdoors to SX... very cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this results in more factory spots available...
kijen wrote:
I dont think pro racing actaully grows the sport, the sport is most likely shrinking due to acces to land or tracks and cost of bikes...
I dont think pro racing actaully grows the sport, the sport is most likely shrinking due to acces to land or tracks and cost of bikes, maintenace etc.
Agree it could make pro racing more visible to the viewer. My opinion the weekend rider is keeping the sport alive, not the racers or pro promoters, a lot more dirt bike riders than racers.
Facts.

I'd also say that off road racers are keeping the sport more alive than Motocross racers, attendance at off road events seems to dwarf motocross in most instances.
RalphS
3/1/2022 9:56am
$50M investment over 5 years to support 10 teams means in avg $1M/year per team. Assuming that the 250K per event don't reduce this total, it won't be a 1M guaranteed as they would condition the exact figure to a series of things but salary for 4 decent riders is already 1M, let alone crew, etc.

I'm not sure how much $ the OEMs would put in and getting sponsors $ for a new series would be interesting, hopefully the logistics assistance is really fruitful ala F1 as it'd make or break it for some teams.

Euro and Aussie teams would be favored by the locations but maybe a team like Star gives it a shot at some point.
TeamGreen
3/1/2022 9:57am
I am pretty sure that these races aren’t on ANY of the current crop of Factory Rider’s Bonus Programs…possibly a couple of them like the few that have previously gone to Oz or Paris; but, I’m thinking it’s very few days f any…at all…
That’s:
Title Sponsor
OEM
Gear
Boots
Helmet
Goggles
Etc.

That means the start money and the prize money -at this point in time- are the ONLY financial incentives. Combine that with OEMs & Title Sponsors NOT expanding those budgets, in fact…quite the opposite on the International front, and now you see where the promoters HAVE to make this attractive…VERY…attractive!

And, wisely, they are.

But, does Monster -and- Yamaha USA -or- Yamaha JAPAN -or- the Yamaha importer in the race hosting country have the $ or “the pull” to get Star to prep, send and provide a mechanic and other support personnel for someone like Eli or Dylan at an event/these events?

Same goes for Kawi: seems I recall a certain athlete NOT going to MXoN due to his OEM not wanting to take the risk or the expense.

The European teams will have these same considerations, too.

So, these guys need to get the OEMs to sign up & make these events contract inclusive. There are some INSANELY HUGE marketing reason to go and race some of these events…especially considering markets like India, Brazil, Thailand, Argentina, Spain/Portugal…in those markets the number of motorcycles sold would blow your mind. Hell, what about China? I’m not Super-Pumped on that country at the moment; but, damn! They are shelling out the money these days.

So, sure, this can work…but, we need to hear from the Teams/OEMs/Title Sponsors and that they support this.
HuskyEd
3/1/2022 10:04am
If this series starts in Oct. how will affect riders contracts? Especially those in a contract year when most US based contracts expire Sept. 30

Post a reply to: New FIM World Supercross Championship

The Latest