Fantasy
1327th
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2022 8:03am
|
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
7/28/2021 9:08am
I’m also curious as to the performance level of these forks.

And I assume they’re coil spring since they have a spring preload adjustment, but it’s odd that nothing specifically mentions it.
slipdog
7/28/2021 9:17am
If the AER forks are so disliked that even WP makes their own "spring conversion" and now "cartridge/spring conversion" kits... and I'm just spitballing here... maybe they should just come stock with the new "XACT 6500 spring forks"
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/28/2021 9:49am
slipdog wrote:
If the AER forks are so disliked that even WP makes their own "spring conversion" and now "cartridge/spring conversion" kits... and I'm just spitballing here... maybe...
If the AER forks are so disliked that even WP makes their own "spring conversion" and now "cartridge/spring conversion" kits... and I'm just spitballing here... maybe they should just come stock with the new "XACT 6500 spring forks"
I'm one of the guys that doesn't really have a problem with the stock AER's, especially the 2020 and 2021 and newer. To me they are really good. I kinda like that the bikes are delivered with cheaper, lighter, easily adjustable air forks but the option is there to change to spring forks for those who so desire. Unlike competitors bikes where you basically get what you get and that's that.

Now, what would be really cool is if you could pick which one you want and spec the bike at time of purchase and avoid having to do the swap. I suppose that's expecting too much especially in this time of covid craziness.

At the end of the day, I would only buy these cartridges if they were a massive slam dunk performance improvement, like a no brainer. Otherwise, I can't really justify the cost as a local Vet rider who is pretty happy with the stock forks.
ratonmacias
7/28/2021 9:59am
slipdog wrote:
If the AER forks are so disliked that even WP makes their own "spring conversion" and now "cartridge/spring conversion" kits... and I'm just spitballing here... maybe...
just what a 10 k bike needs, a 2k suspension mod.

The Shop

Bruce372
7/28/2021 9:59am
slipdog wrote:
I thought people not liking their suspension would be good for business? Cool

I think a lot of people actually don't have an issue with their suspension until they read how crap it is on the internet.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
7/30/2021 10:36am
I thought these carts were for the xplor fork?
CKNY
7/30/2021 11:08am
soggy wrote:
I thought these carts were for the xplor fork?
They were originally, now they have a version for XACT.
ZOSICK
7/30/2021 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2021 12:22pm
I happen to like the AER forks. I had an 18 SXF 450 that was revalved by FC for my ability/weight and it felt pretty good. I just picked up a 2022 250 SX-F and the forks feel better than my revalved FC set up. Just fyi. The 2021-2022 forks are night and day better than the old AER forks. At least in my opinion.
Broseph
7/30/2021 12:35pm
ZOSICK wrote:
I happen to like the AER forks. I had an 18 SXF 450 that was revalved by FC for my ability/weight and it felt pretty good...
I happen to like the AER forks. I had an 18 SXF 450 that was revalved by FC for my ability/weight and it felt pretty good. I just picked up a 2022 250 SX-F and the forks feel better than my revalved FC set up. Just fyi. The 2021-2022 forks are night and day better than the old AER forks. At least in my opinion.
Offroad riders seem to have the opposite opinion. It appears the valving was a step backwards on their XC models.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/30/2021 2:54pm
ZOSICK wrote:
I happen to like the AER forks. I had an 18 SXF 450 that was revalved by FC for my ability/weight and it felt pretty good...
Broseph wrote:
Offroad riders seem to have the opposite opinion. It appears the valving was a step backwards on their XC models.
I had a 20 300xc and have a 21 ex300 now. The 21 is significantly better to me. The shock is better too.
Broseph
7/30/2021 6:00pm
ZOSICK wrote:
Broseph wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
I had a 20 300xc and have a 21 ex300 now. The 21 is significantly better to me. The shock is better too.
That’s interesting. What does your ‘21 do better? Front end traction? Less jarring on roots and rocks? I wonder how the EX valving compares to the XC and TX.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/30/2021 8:49pm
Broseph wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
Broseph wrote:
That’s interesting. What does your ‘21 do better? Front end traction? Less jarring on roots and rocks? I wonder how the EX valving compares to the...
That’s interesting. What does your ‘21 do better? Front end traction? Less jarring on roots and rocks? I wonder how the EX valving compares to the XC and TX.
Yes all those things. Maybe even better bottoming resistance. Less sting on slap down landings too. The only negative is the fork clickers don’t seem as sensitive. The mid valve dominates the damping now instead of the base valve.
NeedMoto
7/30/2021 9:11pm
Broseph wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
Broseph wrote:
That’s interesting. What does your ‘21 do better? Front end traction? Less jarring on roots and rocks? I wonder how the EX valving compares to the...
21 XC250. Strangest thing I'm experiencing, is that the front end wonders on me. It's a little un-nerving when I'm on a single track trail 12" wide, and the front end doesn't stick, kinda goes where it wants to.

I'm still baffled, as I've never experienced this in all my decades of riding. I'm searching, trying different air pressures, compression and rebound, different sag settings, kinda weird, I must say.

Really only bothers me when there's a steep canyon on both sides of the 12" wide trailShocked
7/30/2021 11:05pm
NeedMoto wrote:
21 XC250. Strangest thing I'm experiencing, is that the front end wonders on me. It's a little un-nerving when I'm on a single track trail 12"...
21 XC250. Strangest thing I'm experiencing, is that the front end wonders on me. It's a little un-nerving when I'm on a single track trail 12" wide, and the front end doesn't stick, kinda goes where it wants to.

I'm still baffled, as I've never experienced this in all my decades of riding. I'm searching, trying different air pressures, compression and rebound, different sag settings, kinda weird, I must say.

Really only bothers me when there's a steep canyon on both sides of the 12" wide trailShocked
I have a '21 TX300 and have the same issue.. I assumed it was a warn front tire. Now I'm wondering if its a bike thing. raise forks in the clamps maybe??
BikePilot
7/31/2021 2:05am
wrc777 wrote:
Broseph wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
21 XC250. Strangest thing I'm experiencing, is that the front end wonders on me. It's a little un-nerving when I'm on a single track trail 12"...

Fwiw my ‘19. TX wondered a bit on uphills. A stiffer shock spring fixed it. I run the same sag with both springs but I think the stiffer spring holds up better when going up hill. Im 180bls without gear.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/31/2021 6:11am
wrc777 wrote:
Broseph wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:

How many hours on your front tire? I had a similar problem and even though the front tire looked fine it wasn’t. Check your triple clamp torque too.
NeedMoto
7/31/2021 6:29am
NeedMoto wrote:

I have a '21 TX300 and have the same issue.. I assumed it was a warn front tire. Now I'm wondering if its a bike thing...
I have a '21 TX300 and have the same issue.. I assumed it was a warn front tire. Now I'm wondering if its a bike thing. raise forks in the clamps maybe??
Haven't raised the forks yet, there at the 2nd line. Willing to try anything. I'll move them up to the 3rd and give it a try.
NeedMoto
7/31/2021 6:32am
Broseph wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:

BikePilot wrote:
Fwiw my ‘19. TX wondered a bit on uphills. A stiffer shock spring fixed it. I run the same sag with both springs but I think...
Fwiw my ‘19. TX wondered a bit on uphills. A stiffer shock spring fixed it. I run the same sag with both springs but I think the stiffer spring holds up better when going up hill. Im 180bls without gear.
Hadn't thought about a stiffer shock spring. Sag is 105, with a pre-load of 5mm, and static sag of 37. I weigh 182 without gear. I'll try a spring and see if it helps.
NeedMoto
7/31/2021 6:35am
Broseph wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:

wrc777 wrote:
How many hours on your front tire? I had a similar problem and even though the front tire looked fine it wasn’t. Check your triple clamp...
How many hours on your front tire? I had a similar problem and even though the front tire looked fine it wasn’t. Check your triple clamp torque too.
Bike is new, now 9hrs on it. I re-torqued the t-clamps when first bought.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
7/31/2021 6:45am
NeedMoto wrote:
Hadn't thought about a stiffer shock spring. Sag is 105, with a pre-load of 5mm, and static sag of 37. I weigh 182 without gear. I'll...
Hadn't thought about a stiffer shock spring. Sag is 105, with a pre-load of 5mm, and static sag of 37. I weigh 182 without gear. I'll try a spring and see if it helps.
Are you sure your sag numbers correct? 5mm preload for 37mm static doesn’t sound right to me on the stock spring
BikePilot
7/31/2021 7:25am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2021 7:29am
NeedMoto wrote:

BikePilot wrote:
Fwiw my ‘19. TX wondered a bit on uphills. A stiffer shock spring fixed it. I run the same sag with both springs but I think...
NeedMoto wrote:
Hadn't thought about a stiffer shock spring. Sag is 105, with a pre-load of 5mm, and static sag of 37. I weigh 182 without gear. I'll...
Cool, we are close enough to the same weight that I imagine our experience will be similar. Mine definitely felt better with the one step stiffer spring. Like you I was able to get proper sag with either spring, but it sure feels bettter on hills and when accelerating hard when the stiffer spring. Does not feel stiffer on bumps/rocks to any meaningful degree. For background I ride vet A and spend most of my time on Colorado single track, with a few trips to the MX tracks and desert.

I run 103mm race sag, which works out to about 37.5mm static sag for reference. No idea how much preload is on the spring. Those figures are geared up at the trail head. Camelback, tools, etc. haven’t weighed myself in ready to ride gear but it’s certainly some extra weight relative to my 180lbs without gear.
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
7/31/2021 9:51am
If you raise the forks it will get more twitchy.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
7/31/2021 10:34am
BikePilot wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
BikePilot wrote:
Cool, we are close enough to the same weight that I imagine our experience will be similar. Mine definitely felt better with the one step stiffer...
Cool, we are close enough to the same weight that I imagine our experience will be similar. Mine definitely felt better with the one step stiffer spring. Like you I was able to get proper sag with either spring, but it sure feels bettter on hills and when accelerating hard when the stiffer spring. Does not feel stiffer on bumps/rocks to any meaningful degree. For background I ride vet A and spend most of my time on Colorado single track, with a few trips to the MX tracks and desert.

I run 103mm race sag, which works out to about 37.5mm static sag for reference. No idea how much preload is on the spring. Those figures are geared up at the trail head. Camelback, tools, etc. haven’t weighed myself in ready to ride gear but it’s certainly some extra weight relative to my 180lbs without gear.
Probably close to 30# I bet. I’m surprised you guys are getting those sag numbers on the stock spring.
BikePilot
7/31/2021 11:01am
NeedMoto wrote:
BikePilot wrote:
Cool, we are close enough to the same weight that I imagine our experience will be similar. Mine definitely felt better with the one step stiffer...

soggy wrote:
Probably close to 30# I bet. I’m surprised you guys are getting those sag numbers on the stock spring.
I’m running a one step stiffer spring than stock.
11/11/2022 5:48pm
Do you need to revalve the stock shock on fc250 and sxf to work with the cartridge?
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
11/11/2022 6:14pm
or until they ride their buddys yamaha
That first time you go long on some fresh KYB’s after spending a couple years on WP…. “ ahhhh”
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
11/11/2022 6:31pm
Do you need to revalve the stock shock on fc250 and sxf to work with the cartridge?
Highly recommended but you don’t ‘have’ too. Forks and shocks work together so anytime you change one it’s going to affect the other.
Brent
11/11/2022 7:56pm

The 6500 inserts are fantastic.

We got some of the first sets of this updated cartridge back in May, and this fork has a lot more comfort than the current WP Pro "cone valve" fork.

I took my WP pro fork off and run these on my personal bike, and a few guys a lot faster than me lhave tried these and like them also.

You cant go wrong with these things.

Of course proper set up is key like everything else...
erik_94COBRA
11/12/2022 2:18pm
Brent wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/11/576379/s1200_IMG_4620.jpg[/img] The 6500 inserts are fantastic. We got some of the first sets of this updated cartridge back in May, and this fork has a lot...

The 6500 inserts are fantastic.

We got some of the first sets of this updated cartridge back in May, and this fork has a lot more comfort than the current WP Pro "cone valve" fork.

I took my WP pro fork off and run these on my personal bike, and a few guys a lot faster than me lhave tried these and like them also.

You cant go wrong with these things.

Of course proper set up is key like everything else...
Who setup your cone valves?

Post a reply to: New WP XACT Pro 6500 Cartridges

The Latest