New Spring 2021 6D Helmets

RGaede
4/22/2021 10:48am
I measured right on the small end for a medium, at 22.5" The local shops do not carry 6D, or any high end dirt helmets, so I tried on the street models from Arai and Shoei for a best guess of size. 6D, Shoei, and Arai all show the size ranges as the same, with shape being the difference. Even though the size chart said MD for all three, the street helmets I tried on a Medium was just too big. I could press forward on the helmet and put a finger between the front of the helmet and the forehead. I went ahead and ordered the Small 6d (same size I had in the ATR-1). It seems like its breaking in nicely, does leave a small red mark on my forehead (a medium with there optional M-S liner may fit as well without the mark, but then I have the larger and heavier shell). No headaches or anything from watching movies in the helmet, so Tuesday rode in it and felt fine. Nothing will be as comfy as the Arai though, they are the most plush helmets I've ever tried on or wore.
peelout
4/22/2021 1:13pm
Nate_Z wrote:
After doing research on 6D tech and a long time Arai customer, I'm getting ready to make the switch but had an opportunity to try on...
After doing research on 6D tech and a long time Arai customer, I'm getting ready to make the switch but had an opportunity to try on a variety of 6D helmets to figure out sizing and have to say I was disappointed in the fit and feel compared to the Arai. My perception is the technology is advantageous but not as well built and comfy as the Arai. Any other users make the switch and adapt?
sandman768 wrote:
My fit was a little snug at first but after a few rides it wore in nicely & is comfortable... I”m picking up my new 6D...
My fit was a little snug at first but after a few rides it wore in nicely & is comfortable... I”m picking up my new 6D today..
Steve125 wrote:
This^^^ Mine was VERY snug around the outer jaw and I was concerned I got the wrong size. Almost painful to wear as I wore it...
This^^^
Mine was VERY snug around the outer jaw and I was concerned I got the wrong size. Almost painful to wear as I wore it around the house a bit. I double checked the size chart and remeasured my head. I was in the correct range for the Large I bought. 2 rides in and Its like its not even there. Perfect fit. These 6D's definitely need to be broken in.
my ATR-1 fit super tight in a Medium, like giving me a headache tight. got the large liner and it felt much better fit but it would slip down while i was riding making it feel like i constantly had to adjust it up off my brow. big believer in the helmets just not a good fit on my head.

my Oneal Carbon on the other hand super light and super comfortable in Large.
rstaichi
4/22/2021 6:46pm
Nate_Z wrote:
After doing research on 6D tech and a long time Arai customer, I'm getting ready to make the switch but had an opportunity to try on...
After doing research on 6D tech and a long time Arai customer, I'm getting ready to make the switch but had an opportunity to try on a variety of 6D helmets to figure out sizing and have to say I was disappointed in the fit and feel compared to the Arai. My perception is the technology is advantageous but not as well built and comfy as the Arai. Any other users make the switch and adapt?
I always wore Arai helmets both dirt and street. And they always fit so good. But I have had many head injuries and one was really bad.
I don’t ride motorcycles anymore but do ride mountain bikes and wear there DH helmet and trail helmet. Definitely doesn’t fit me as well as the Arai did but I’ve really gotten into brain injuries/ helmets design and think safety over anything else now days as far as my brain goes. Both my boys wear the youth 6d racing bmx.

The Shop

Johnnydirt
4/23/2021 10:40am
Does anyone have a ATR-1 to take a picture next to the ATR-2? I like my ATR-1 but would like something lighter and smaller profile.
4/23/2021 11:29am
I’ve been looking at getting either the ATR-2 or the Fox V3. Anyone got the V3 & what’s it like?
BikePilot
4/23/2021 7:07pm
Johnnydirt wrote:
Does anyone have a ATR-1 to take a picture next to the ATR-2? I like my ATR-1 but would like something lighter and smaller profile.
The 2 is noticeably lighter but not all that different in profile.
Johnnydirt
4/24/2021 4:58am
BikePilot wrote:
The 2 is noticeably lighter but not all that different in profile.
Good to know thanks.
owens623
6/16/2022 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 8:58pm
sandman768 wrote:
My fit was a little snug at first but after a few rides it wore in nicely & is comfortable... I”m picking up my new 6D...
My fit was a little snug at first but after a few rides it wore in nicely & is comfortable... I”m picking up my new 6D today..
Steve125 wrote:
This^^^ Mine was VERY snug around the outer jaw and I was concerned I got the wrong size. Almost painful to wear as I wore it...
This^^^
Mine was VERY snug around the outer jaw and I was concerned I got the wrong size. Almost painful to wear as I wore it around the house a bit. I double checked the size chart and remeasured my head. I was in the correct range for the Large I bought. 2 rides in and Its like its not even there. Perfect fit. These 6D's definitely need to be broken in.
peelout wrote:
my ATR-1 fit super tight in a Medium, like giving me a headache tight. got the large liner and it felt much better fit but it...
my ATR-1 fit super tight in a Medium, like giving me a headache tight. got the large liner and it felt much better fit but it would slip down while i was riding making it feel like i constantly had to adjust it up off my brow. big believer in the helmets just not a good fit on my head.

my Oneal Carbon on the other hand super light and super comfortable in Large.
Hit up the customer service and you can get a foam shim kit and that should solve it
Dirt.Squirt
6/16/2022 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 10:24pm
Only helmet I’ll wear
My ATR-2 is much lighter than my 1, not that I really care but it’s nice that it’s lighter

Post a reply to: New Spring 2021 6D Helmets

The Latest