New Site Feature

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2018 10:33 AM

I see the ones that requested the thumbs up/thumbs down feature finally got their wish.

I find it better than the poll feature.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/5/2018 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 10:53 AM

Nice! I've been wanting this for a while.

|

7/5/2018 10:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 10:39 AM

So how does it work? I know some sites have it where the very first reply you see is the one with the most up votes while others keep the posts in the order they were posted and just have a tally of the votes. I'm assuming it's the latter?

Personally I'm not a fan of the system where the top reply is the one with the most up votes.

|

7/5/2018 10:37 AM

but what if you don't care one way or the other???? laughing

|

7/5/2018 10:40 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

So how does it work? I know some sites have it where the very first reply you see is the one with the most up votes while ...more

I'm guessing it's the 2nd one you mentioned since the forum is like a conversation/debates/arguments.

Moving things around would make any thread difficult to follow if things are rearranged based on likes.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/5/2018 10:42 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

but what if you don't care one way or the other???? laughing

You simply ignore the feature and don't use it.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/5/2018 10:44 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm guessing it's the 2nd one you mentioned since the forum is like a conversation/debates/arguments.

Moving things around ...more

Yea that makes sense. I think if things were arranged based on likes there would be too much potential for ridiculous theories to take off, which already happens on this site. ie. 2 stroke media blackout.

|

7/5/2018 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 11:22 AM

jorgechavez wrote:

So how does it work? I know some sites have it where the very first reply you see is the one with the most up votes while ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I'm guessing it's the 2nd one you mentioned since the forum is like a conversation/debates/arguments.

Moving things around ...more

jorgechavez wrote:

Yea that makes sense. I think if things were arranged based on likes there would be too much potential for ridiculous theories ...more

As of now, it's just to show if people like or dislike your posts.

Re-arranging a topic based on likes would be a nightmare and wasn't something we considered. However, there has been consideration of having enough downvotes result in some sort of penalty...but nothing concrete has been put in place, just a thought at this point.

|

7/5/2018 10:58 AM

Seams that you can anonymously dislike posts, although you can see who likes the posts. I have a feeling that people will go around disliking posts just to troll. In the "corner picture" thread, there is already many dislikes of people posting pictures of themselves. Why would anybody dislike that other than just to be a jackass?

|

7/5/2018 11:06 AM

This feature is gonna do a great job turning away new posters, I’m sure of it.

|

7/5/2018 11:09 AM

They should've only added a thumbs down

|

2014 Ducati Monster 1200
2014 KTM 300SX
2003 Kawasaki KX500
Instagram: @MarkusUpdate

7/5/2018 11:41 AM

Squirrelings wrote:

Seams that you can anonymously dislike posts, although you can see who likes the posts. I have a feeling that people will go ...more

I didn’t do it to be a jackass, just got a couple chuckles out it. Don’t know why anyone would care about likes or dislikes from strangers

|

7/5/2018 11:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 11:53 AM

like the addition. been wanting this for a long time so i can "like" peely's posts.

|

7/5/2018 11:53 AM

Damn. I was hoping this new site feature would be working PMs.

|

7/5/2018 12:05 PM

It's annoying. Fingers crossed it goes away soo

|

7/5/2018 12:15 PM

No worries, it'll be a novelty for a few weeks and then fade into irrelevancy just like the polling crap.

|



7/5/2018 12:20 PM

Enough up votes, you get a cookie. Enough down votes, you get a click where the cookie should have been. wink

|

7/5/2018 12:22 PM

dimetime wrote:

No worries, it'll be a novelty for a few weeks and then fade into irrelevancy just like the polling crap.

Different people use different features in different ways.

|

7/5/2018 12:24 PM

It's like junior high. Except we didn't have computers and cell phones. Had to pass notes around.laughing


[LINK TO IMAGE]


Or, the one that always seemed to get intercepted by the teacher.

Photo

|

7/5/2018 12:28 PM

mxpro252 wrote:

I didn’t do it to be a jackass, just got a couple chuckles out it. Don’t know why anyone would care about likes or dislikes ...more

I don't care. Disliking posts for no reason or for a "couple chuckles" is stupid, though. Maybe some people who are self conscious about their riding and post pics are turned away because of other posters like you. It's a big problem that most probably never see or hear about. New guy goes to track or posts on forum only to have everyone be a dick or make fun of them. They aren't going to hang around and get out of the sport. It happens, trust me.

|

7/5/2018 12:29 PM

mxpro252 wrote:

I didn’t do it to be a jackass, just got a couple chuckles out it. Don’t know why anyone would care about likes or dislikes ...more

He doesn't like it because he knows nobody likes his opinions.

|

7/5/2018 12:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 12:35 PM

IWreckALot wrote:

He doesn't like it because he knows nobody likes his opinions.

Don't give a shit what you think. My point was about a thread that I didn't even post in and there is no reason to dislike the posts in that thread. Literally none. Don't like my opinion, too bad.

|

7/5/2018 1:19 PM

Squirrelings wrote:

Don't give a shit what you think. My point was about a thread that I didn't even post in and there is no reason to dislike the ...more

I wish I could give you more than one down vote.

|

7/5/2018 1:56 PM

Squirrelings wrote:

Seams that you can anonymously dislike posts, although you can see who likes the posts. I have a feeling that people will go ...more

mxpro252 wrote:

I didn’t do it to be a jackass, just got a couple chuckles out it. Don’t know why anyone would care about likes or dislikes ...more

Squirrelings wrote:

I don't care. Disliking posts for no reason or for a "couple chuckles" is stupid, though. Maybe some people who are self ...more

I can see your point about it turning into another, even more anonymous way to be an a**hole, but it’s also wrong to assume I did it on certain types of posts that would confirm your own predictions. I did it on a few of the most general posts I saw in the thread talking about the subject feature, like the one above saying “but what if you don't care one way or the other????”. I could be wrong, but I’m guessing this guy doesn’t care about the likes that post gets (sorry lumpy790 if I was insensitive). But I would agree with you if I disliked some kid posting a picture of himself that he’s proud of. I don’t get off on putting others down. That’d make me a dick.

And I also think the feature will be used more appropriately once the novelty wears off.

|

7/5/2018 2:22 PM

This place has been set up fairly clean, and making posters use real words here has always been a positive draw for me. Likes etc will clutter it up. The like feature will just breed controversy with its mindless, soulless, boring judgement. Use your words to judge. It's a msg board. It's tough to swallow when there's been a higher standard for years. What is the point of it anyway? If it improves the feel of Vital, I'd be curious to know why that would happen. The option to click posters who are disliked doesn't really put a shine on the idea.

|

7/5/2018 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2018 2:28 PM

Track and Trail wrote:

This place has been set up fairly clean, and making posters use real words here has always been a positive draw for me. Likes ...more

I completely disagree. The ability to like or dislike a comment instead of quoting it just to argue with a few words is going to keep the clutter and the amount of responses down significantly. Just count the likes and dislikes in the short thread alone and make each one of those reply and see how many pages you come up with. Like and dislike is absolutely necessary in a forum...but I’m a UX Designer so I’m biased

|

7/5/2018 2:49 PM

mxpro252 wrote:

I can see your point about it turning into another, even more anonymous way to be an a**hole, but it’s also wrong to assume I ...more

My mistake. I thought you were implying that you were disliking pictures people were posting of themselves in response to my prior post. I agree that the novelty will wear off some and I've already disliked a few posts myself. I find it funny that most people only use the feature when they want to dislike something.

|

7/5/2018 2:53 PM

IWreckALot wrote:

I wish I could give you more than one down vote.

Maybe GuyB or ML can look into giving you special privileges.

|

7/5/2018 3:15 PM

Squirrelings wrote:

My mistake. I thought you were implying that you were disliking pictures people were posting of themselves in response to my ...more

All good. I just re-read my first response to your first comment and can easily see how that could read as I was acknowledging I was one of the people in your corner picture thread example. I should have been clearer.

|

7/5/2018 3:26 PM

GuyB wrote:

Enough up votes, you get a cookie. Enough down votes, you get a click where the cookie should have been. wink

This post is a good example of how this system can go wrong, lol.

My opinion is that adding an upvote-downvote system encourages people to say what others want to hear, rather than what they actually think. Kinda takes away from the discussion aspect of a message board.

|