New JT aluminum sprockets?

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 12/27/2021 7:02am
Never seen these before, I remember using JT years ago but it seemed like the name started to come back around. These are way cheap for an aluminum sprocket from a brand I've actually heard from. Anyone tried one out yet?
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/jt-racelite-aluminum-rear-spro…
|
10/7/2021 4:36pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Never seen these before, I remember using JT years ago but it seemed like the name started to come back around. These are way cheap for...
Never seen these before, I remember using JT years ago but it seemed like the name started to come back around. These are way cheap for an aluminum sprocket from a brand I've actually heard from. Anyone tried one out yet?
JT sprockets are extremely popular here in New Zealand.
quality is among the best in the world I would recommend there sprockets to anyone.
Personally I prefer them over Renthal or Talon versions.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
10/7/2021 4:55pm
Fuck me running, that’s a great price.
SCC
10/7/2021 7:32pm
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
Is that a local saying, or American?
I like factory/trick parts after spending 10k on a bike. Zero chance id buy that shit. Vanity i know but its my money not yours.

The Shop

FWYT
10/7/2021 7:34pm
Well I'll be dipped in purple horse shit . . . that's a deal!
BobPA
10/7/2021 7:37pm
JT has been making solid driveline components for years, and they are always reasonably priced. Their x-ring chains are nearly unbeatable for the price.
10/7/2021 7:38pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Never seen these before, I remember using JT years ago but it seemed like the name started to come back around. These are way cheap for...
Run them for years no problems the aluminum one's. Looks like they updated the looks to something better.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/7/2021 7:39pm
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
Local to Madison, Wisconsin. Only used by people who'v been Munsoned. Fair Dinkum.
10/7/2021 7:41pm
JT sprockets have been around for a long time and are as durable as any aluminum sprocket. I’m a Dirt Tricks guy myself.
mx317
10/7/2021 7:51pm
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
SCC wrote:
I like factory/trick parts after spending 10k on a bike. Zero chance id buy that shit. Vanity i know but its my money not yours.
Why would you call it shit? It’s made of 7075-T6 which is the same as Renthal.
OFalk280
10/7/2021 9:46pm
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
SCC wrote:
So nothing but Dirt Tricks stuff then?
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
10/8/2021 4:05am
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
I’ve heard other people say it, I assume it’s an American thing?
mpy
10/8/2021 5:08am
At that price they are definitely manufactured in China. I think they used to be made in the UK? Wonder how the quality is nowadays...
TeamGreen
10/8/2021 7:22am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2021 7:23am
Laughing

Some of the comments I see in here...claims of what's good or bad or what brand is or is not "quality".

There are more than a few "cool guy" brands that make their stuff in China/Taiwan/Asia & sometimes even in the same factories and on the same production lines as brands that some in here scoff at. Some of that stuff comes stock on your Mega $ "Replica Editions", too.

I'm jus' sayin'...
mxtech1
10/8/2021 8:28am
mx317 wrote:
Same material, but that doesn't automatically guarantee JT is better than Renthal (or vice-versa)

heat treat processes could be different
material specification could be different (material microstructure, composition/chemical requirement)

All of these material properties are controlled by the engineering specifications for each company. When they source raw material from the steel mill, they will provide a spec range that must provide the correct microstructure and composition. Typically after the machining is complete, the heat treat process is done and that is another process that could have different outcomes. A more durable sprocket will have higher surface hardness as well as higher microhardness below the surface.
mx317
10/8/2021 8:47am
mx317 wrote:
mxtech1 wrote:
Same material, but that doesn't automatically guarantee JT is better than Renthal (or vice-versa) heat treat processes could be different material specification could be different (material...
Same material, but that doesn't automatically guarantee JT is better than Renthal (or vice-versa)

material specification could be different (material microstructure, composition/chemical requirement)

All of these material properties are controlled by the engineering specifications for each company. When they source raw material from the steel mill, they will provide a spec range that must provide the correct microstructure and composition. Typically after the machining is complete, the heat treat process is done and that is another process that could have different outcomes. A more durable sprocket will have higher surface hardness as well as higher microhardness below the surface.
Didn’t say it was better, only that it wasn’t shit because I’ve used them.
Ridelow
Fantasy
201st
10/8/2021 8:52am
FGR01 wrote:
Local to Madison, Wisconsin. Only used by people who'v been Munsoned. Fair Dinkum.
Ave is that you?
SilverSpurs
10/8/2021 8:53am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2021 7:44pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Same material, but that doesn't automatically guarantee JT is better than Renthal (or vice-versa) heat treat processes could be different material specification could be different (material...

You don't know what you are talking about.

7075 T6 is a complete material specification for that aluminium alloy and will guarantee uniformity- ingredients, properties, method of processing, heat treatment- everything.
murph783
10/8/2021 9:04am
Munson'd wrote:
Fuck me running.
Munson'd wrote:
I’ve heard other people say it, I assume it’s an American thing?
Or it’s cousin, fuck me sideways. I dunno I’m American and I use both
yota
10/8/2021 9:10am
the chinese are famous for counterfeiting shit. there was a huge scandal about them putting fake markings on bolts. even the US Military got caught in that and had to change out buttloads of mild steel bolts that were marked as hardened or high strength. just cause it says 7075 T6 doesn't mean it is.

and the rocky mountain ad in the 1st post says JT Racelite, not JT Racing.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/8/2021 9:19am
yota wrote:
the chinese are famous for counterfeiting shit. there was a huge scandal about them putting fake markings on bolts. even the US Military got caught in...
the chinese are famous for counterfeiting shit. there was a huge scandal about them putting fake markings on bolts. even the US Military got caught in that and had to change out buttloads of mild steel bolts that were marked as hardened or high strength. just cause it says 7075 T6 doesn't mean it is.

Racelite is the name of the sprocket. JT Racing is engraved on the sprocket.

yota
10/8/2021 10:06am
yota wrote:
the chinese are famous for counterfeiting shit. there was a huge scandal about them putting fake markings on bolts. even the US Military got caught in...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Racelite is the name of the sprocket. JT Racing is engraved on the sprocket.

I see. thanks for setting me straight.
AJ565
10/8/2021 10:06am
I’ve run them a few times. Since they are cheap they are great for testing different ratios. I only get about 15 hours out of them. They are 7075-T6 aluminum.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
10/8/2021 12:20pm
Man the energy it must take for you guys to just think everything is a lie must be exhausting.
Sandusky26
10/8/2021 12:30pm
I’ve been running JT sprockets since the 70’s.
Lightning78
10/9/2021 11:19am
The sprockets in the link look a lot like the tag metals sprockets from about 10 years ago....or at least they reminded me of them
Sandusky26
10/9/2021 2:10pm
The sprockets in the link look a lot like the tag metals sprockets from about 10 years ago....or at least they reminded me of them
Those were good sprockets
TeamGreen
10/9/2021 2:19pm
My friend, Dieter, is very serious about his Sprockets!

Richy
10/9/2021 3:44pm
yota wrote:

Was that the fake ARP's? I have a couple of friends who had con rods escape courtesy of those, bad times.
They even copied the little pack of grease that came with the bolts, looked literally identical.

Also, FYI to someone earlier, for it to be 7075 it must have a specific composition, strength and hardness etc. Likewise T6 is actually a dictated spec of heat treating, and it's the most commonly seen and is used by Renthal etc as well, so I doubt there'd be a difference there.

I know there's shit aluminium and shitty alloys around, I've seen plenty as I'm sure a lot of us have, but shitty 7075 shouldn't exist unless incorrectly claimed to be something it isn't.

Not picking fault, just saying, I don't see how it can be inferior to any other alloy sprocket bar the actual design.

Post a reply to: New JT aluminum sprockets?

The Latest