New Helmet Time

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2021 5:52 PM

I'm looking at a new helmet because the time has come to hang up my old VFX-W. I am hung up on these two helmets and can't decide what to buy, just looking for some help. I'm looking at the Fly Formula Carbon and the Leatt 9.5 helmet. I like how the Fly comes with an extra visor, but the Leatt comes with a pair of goggles. I've heard that the 360 turbines are made of the same stuff as the Fly Reons. The leatt has multi-density eps foam and the Fly has conehead eps. I determined that both seem pretty safe but, don't know which one to choose.

Which one?

View Results

|

"It's not the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."

3/3/2021 8:23 PM

Have you tried them on? Get the one that fits better. Some of my favorite helmets that I wanted did not fit well so I always go with what fits me best.

|

3/3/2021 10:27 PM

Black Diesel Bomber wrote:

Have you tried them on? Get the one that fits better. Some of my favorite helmets that I wanted did not fit well so I always ...more

Agreed, different brands are designed to fit different shaped heads, whether round or oval.

I had one helmet that put a lot of pressure on my forehead. Should have tried it on first.

|

3/3/2021 10:46 PM

Bieffe.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

3/4/2021 4:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2021 4:43 AM

Have you tried them on? Get the one that fits better. Some of my favorite helmets that I wanted did not fit well so I always ...more

DirtDart wrote:

Agreed, different brands are designed to fit different shaped heads, whether round or oval.

I had one helmet that put a lot ...more

Yes, I mail-ordered both of them and trying to decide which one to return. They both fit pretty good

|

3/4/2021 8:25 AM

All other things being equal, I'd normally say to go with the one which doesn't clash with your riding gear. Now that Leatt is making riding gear, however, that one doesn't have an advantage over the Fly. What gear are you wearing?

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/4/2021 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2021 8:30 AM

Falcon wrote:

All other things being equal, I'd normally say to go with the one which doesn't clash with your riding gear. Now that Leatt is ...more

I'm willing to change my gear to either fly or leatt. I do like that you can wear other boots with Fly. Were with leatt your head to toe. Again, right now I'm trying to figure out which one is safer

|

3/4/2021 8:32 AM

FWIW, I was a long time VFX-W user, then a spent a bit of time with TLD SE3's an SE4's before moving on to
a 6D ATR-2. My only issue is they are a bit noisy, but that could also be because I added the cool liner to venting more in warm weather. Overall, I'd give 6D helmets a 9.5 out of 10. Just throwing another option out there.

|

Do It In The Dirt!

3/4/2021 8:34 AM

Zeke27G wrote:

FWIW, I was a long time VFX-W user, then a spent a bit of time with TLD SE3's an SE4's before moving on to
a 6D ATR-2. My ...more

I did try on the 6d but, I don't like how big and heavy it is compared to the Leatt and Fly.

|

3/4/2021 9:21 AM

The new bell and tld are on the horizon if you can wait....I am waiting for the bell!

|

3/4/2021 9:41 AM

Falcon wrote:

All other things being equal, I'd normally say to go with the one which doesn't clash with your riding gear. Now that Leatt is ...more

karlsmith808 wrote:

I'm willing to change my gear to either fly or leatt. I do like that you can wear other boots with Fly. Were with leatt your ...more

You can wear whatever boots you want with whatever gear.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

3/4/2021 9:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2021 10:07 AM

Show871 wrote:

The new bell and tld are on the horizon if you can wait....I am waiting for the bell!

I thought about that, I like the new bell, not so much the new tld though. Does the bell still have the same Flex system? The bell does have magnetic cheek pads and the mouthguard seems to be farther out, which I like, better than the Moto 9, which has a close mouthguard. It is also nice that bell only makes helmets.

|

3/4/2021 10:15 AM

Show871 wrote:

Is there a Bell Moto-10 on the way?

I have an oval head and found that Bell fits well, but the TLD helmets fit horrible with too much pressure on forehead. I'm currently running an Alpinestar SM10 carbon and a Bell Moto-9. Both fit well and I've been running the SM10 most often.

I always wanted TLD helmets for their design/aesthetics but they don't fit my oval head.

Anyone know of a database that has all the helmet weights?

|

3/4/2021 10:16 AM

One has the new ECE 22.06 certification from 2020, with the low-speed impact test standard. The other is certified to ECE 22.05, published about 20 years ago.

I hope you consider the certifications when choosing which helmet to wear.

|

3/4/2021 10:20 AM

msp332 wrote:

One has the new ECE 22.06 certification from 2020, with the low-speed impact test standard. The other is certified to ECE ...more

Please specify which brand has which certification....got me curious now.

|

3/4/2021 10:42 AM

Now that the Bell Moto 10 is mentioned I might have to take that into consideration.

|

3/4/2021 10:52 AM

Show871 wrote:

I have an oval head and found that Bell fits well, but the TLD helmets fit horrible with ...more

Bell Moto 10 is coming out this spring.

|

3/4/2021 11:05 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Really, awesome. I might have to get one and return both the Fly and Leatt and just wait.

|

3/4/2021 11:06 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Bieffe.

Arthur Fulmer for the win

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

3/4/2021 11:16 AM

msp332 wrote:

One has the new ECE 22.06 certification from 2020, with the low-speed impact test standard. The other is certified to ECE ...more

Please specify which brand has which certification....got me curious now.

The newest one!

|

3/4/2021 12:31 PM

karlsmith808 wrote:

I'm willing to change my gear to either fly or leatt. I do like that you can wear other boots with Fly. Were with leatt your ...more

Nobody, not even the manufacturers know which one is gonna be safer for you.
Both helmets are top tier in regards to safety. I voted Leatt because I like Leatt stuff. Pick your favorite design, or which one fits the googles best, or whatever. From a safety point of view you're making a good decision either way.

|

3/4/2021 4:13 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Is the bell one and done or can it absorb low-speed impacts without crushing the eps like Fly's reon cells.

|

3/4/2021 4:19 PM

I have an oval head and found that Bell fits well, but the TLD helmets fit horrible with ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

karlsmith808 wrote:

Is the bell one and done or can it absorb low-speed impacts without crushing the eps like Fly's reon cells.

No idea.

|

3/4/2021 4:24 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

No idea.

Do you think I should wait for the Moto 10 or settle on the Leatt?

|

3/4/2021 4:33 PM

I say go with the Fly becuase I have crashed on my head many times with my Fly helmat on but have never felt get less smarter.

|

3/4/2021 5:20 PM

karlsmith808 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:

No idea.

karlsmith808 wrote:

Do you think I should wait for the Moto 10 or settle on the Leatt?

I'd personally wait, but I like Bell Helmets.

|

3/4/2021 5:24 PM

formula cc.

|

3/4/2021 5:26 PM

If you buy/wear a helmet that is not Arai, Shoei, or Bell well you are not educated. All other brands are made by moto companies NOT helmet companies.

|

3/4/2021 5:35 PM

JT Moto wrote:

If you buy/wear a helmet that is not Arai, Shoei, or Bell well you are not educated. All other brands are made by moto ...more

That says it all, thank you, you made my decision to wait for the Moto 10 and return the fly and Leatt a lot easier. Lots like I’m waiting until it comes out.

|

3/4/2021 5:51 PM

JT Moto wrote:

If you buy/wear a helmet that is not Arai, Shoei, or Bell well you are not educated. All other brands are made by moto ...more

Please go on about Arai pushing the advancement of helmet safety for the moto consumer.

|