New Helmet Time—Shoei VFX-EVO or Alpinestars SM10 Bell Moto 9

ob
11/18/2018 8:20am
I have a new EVO. Don't buy one unless you can afford to replace the whole helmet every time you crash.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
11/18/2018 9:12am
I have a Moto 9 and two TLD SE4 Carbons. Much prefer the SE4s. Ventilation is great and they are super light weight. I've heard some people complain about fit and MIPS comfort, but I never noticed anything abnormal.

I do want to try a SM10 though. I got to hold one that a sales rep had and was really impressed with the design and quality.
Turbojez
11/27/2018 10:48am
brocsdad wrote:
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at...
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at WW in FL and the bike landed on him. Somehow the crossbar went between the his chin and the helmet resulting in a broken jaw and 4 teeth being knocked out. They saved 3 but he will need a bone graft and an implant for the missing tooth.

He was wearing a JUST1 Helmet and the helmet did it's job as far as protecting his head but the mouth is a different story. I'm sure he would have suffered injuries no matter what helmet he was wearing but there is a large gap in the chin area.

I will be out of pocket around $15k when all is said and done and we took the year off and sold the bike. Hopefully we can return sometime next year. When that time comes we will be wearing the new LS2 Subverter Helmet. They offer excellent protection. lightweight and venting second to none. Don't let the price point scare you because they manufacture several of the high end helmets on the market. They can sale the subverter cheaper because they own the factory and there's no middle man.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a little while but this post got me thinking, how good is the LS2 really?
What about the weight? They claim 1300+-50g, which is on the heavy side.
I am torn between Fly F2, LS2 or another (I wore it this season) Just1 J12. J12 was incredibly light, comfy and very well ventilated. It needs replacing though as I used it to the fullest...

The Shop

brocsdad
11/27/2018 12:19pm
brocsdad wrote:
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at...
I never really really considered the room between your mouth and the the chin bar until my son crashed. He clipped a high speed double at WW in FL and the bike landed on him. Somehow the crossbar went between the his chin and the helmet resulting in a broken jaw and 4 teeth being knocked out. They saved 3 but he will need a bone graft and an implant for the missing tooth.

He was wearing a JUST1 Helmet and the helmet did it's job as far as protecting his head but the mouth is a different story. I'm sure he would have suffered injuries no matter what helmet he was wearing but there is a large gap in the chin area.

I will be out of pocket around $15k when all is said and done and we took the year off and sold the bike. Hopefully we can return sometime next year. When that time comes we will be wearing the new LS2 Subverter Helmet. They offer excellent protection. lightweight and venting second to none. Don't let the price point scare you because they manufacture several of the high end helmets on the market. They can sale the subverter cheaper because they own the factory and there's no middle man.

Turbojez wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread for a little while but this post got me thinking, how good is the LS2 really? What about the weight? They...
Sorry to hijack the thread for a little while but this post got me thinking, how good is the LS2 really?
What about the weight? They claim 1300+-50g, which is on the heavy side.
I am torn between Fly F2, LS2 or another (I wore it this season) Just1 J12. J12 was incredibly light, comfy and very well ventilated. It needs replacing though as I used it to the fullest...
The LS2 is a great helmet. NO BS!

I help a friend with his training program and we were sponsored by Just 1 and they do make a great helmet. I don't believe in jumping from sponsor to sponsor but they had issues getting new helmets and parts to the U.S. At that point I started looking for a new helmet sponsor and we received an LS2 to try out.

The helmet weight is right there with the JUST 1 if not lighter depending on the shell size. The ventilation is superior and the protection has been proven.

They build the helmets at their production facility so there's no middle man and it keeps costs down. So again do not let the lower price scare you.

Good Luck!
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
11/27/2018 1:40pm
DTR830 wrote:
I’ll let you know the sizing when I receive mine
How was the fit?
Large fits awesome. Im happy with it for far. Need to ride now
KGAspeed
11/27/2018 3:44pm
These kinds of posts always bug me - you'll just get a million suggestions of whatever helmet the other members use and most will ignore your direct question.

You asked about the Bell Moto 9. i have it and this is THE first Bell helmet that fits me really well. As long as weight isn't a major concern of yours (I think my Medium is 1500 grams - so it is on the heavier side, but I'm fine with it), its a great option in terms of safety tech & fit (I have the Carbon Flex).

The Bell Moto 9 with MIPS supposedly do not fit differently although I have not directly compared both.

Personally, try-like-hell to go try them on and pick what YOU want. I recently bought the TLD SE4 Composite (before ending up with the Bell) and *hated* the fit of the SE4 (and I was coming off of a TLD Air which I loved).

basslips
Fantasy
2143rd
11/27/2018 4:21pm
KGAspeed wrote:
These kinds of posts always bug me - you'll just get a million suggestions of whatever helmet the other members use and most will ignore your...
These kinds of posts always bug me - you'll just get a million suggestions of whatever helmet the other members use and most will ignore your direct question.

You asked about the Bell Moto 9. i have it and this is THE first Bell helmet that fits me really well. As long as weight isn't a major concern of yours (I think my Medium is 1500 grams - so it is on the heavier side, but I'm fine with it), its a great option in terms of safety tech & fit (I have the Carbon Flex).

The Bell Moto 9 with MIPS supposedly do not fit differently although I have not directly compared both.

Personally, try-like-hell to go try them on and pick what YOU want. I recently bought the TLD SE4 Composite (before ending up with the Bell) and *hated* the fit of the SE4 (and I was coming off of a TLD Air which I loved).

Couldn't agree more with this, try like hell to trial fit the helmets you are interested in. For me that's nearly impossible as the nearest shop is 45 + minutes away and has shit stock. So for me, I go through the hassle of ordering from RM or BTO and just simply return the item if it doesn't fit right or I don't like it.

With regard to helmets, I had a Bell Flex for a couple of seasons. Loved it, but also really wanted to try a 6D. So ordered a new ATR-2. Bell and 6D sizes are not in the ballpark so had to return and exchange for the proper size. The 6D took awhile to break in and for me is not nearly as comfortable as the Bell. The Bell feels like the materials are just a little plusher and small details like the magnetic cheek pads and strap are icing on the cake.
opyguy
11/27/2018 5:26pm
Just picked up Moto 9 flex (349, a steal) very comfortable, fwiw
Racer111
11/27/2018 6:38pm
Of all the new helmets I’ve gotten in recent years, this one is my fav! I LOVE the new 6D ATR-2’s.

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
11/27/2018 7:39pm
stonerb wrote:
Shoei has a free inspection program. They can check it out for you, to see if it’s still safe to use.
This guy right here.

If you crash a shoei, email them or a rep and they will give you an address. You pay the shipping and they X Ray it to find eps degradation and shell cracks. I’ve seen shoes get reapproved from the factory after some bad hits.
11/28/2018 3:23pm
I'm in the market for a new Helmet also, but not trying to hijack the O.P's original models, I have worn a Arai VX Pro (2005 model!) for along time now and I must admit I do love the quality of the helmet, it's worn very well and still looks great!, but time has come and no one seems to wear the Arai now, it's the MXV now as I understand... Is it because they have not really made a "new" version?, the weight?, or some other factor that not many people wear them now?.

Would be interested in some views from people with a new Arai please, I did try on Kurt Nichols 6D and man that thing was light compared with my old VX!.
joeellis
11/28/2018 4:10pm
In recent years, Ive owned Shoei (non-EVO), Bell Moto 9 and 6D helmets. All were excellent, but the Shoei works best for me. My head is more oval than round and the Shoei just seems to fit me better overall. One note; I wear size L in the Shoei and XL in the others. While I really like the new technology that companies are incorporating in their equipment, one thing that did turn me off with the 6D (my personal issue), is that the helmet is larger that the others.

As for the chin bar on the Shoei helmet, it is a little longer I feel than some of the others, which will give you more room.

Helmet prices (gear prices in general) are tough to take, but one thing I always try and consider is that the helmet may be the most important part of our protection. While being able the buy and replace an item that costs $700.00 0r more is a major consideration, I want to be as well protected as possible. If these top shelf helmets are definitely more protective, I am going to try and bite the bullet and spend the money. Many will spend $700.00 or more to make their bike faster, but then question the price of helmets. The faster one is, the better protected they need to be.
Racer111
11/28/2018 4:46pm
joeellis wrote:
In recent years, Ive owned Shoei (non-EVO), Bell Moto 9 and 6D helmets. All were excellent, but the Shoei works best for me. My head is...
In recent years, Ive owned Shoei (non-EVO), Bell Moto 9 and 6D helmets. All were excellent, but the Shoei works best for me. My head is more oval than round and the Shoei just seems to fit me better overall. One note; I wear size L in the Shoei and XL in the others. While I really like the new technology that companies are incorporating in their equipment, one thing that did turn me off with the 6D (my personal issue), is that the helmet is larger that the others.

As for the chin bar on the Shoei helmet, it is a little longer I feel than some of the others, which will give you more room.

Helmet prices (gear prices in general) are tough to take, but one thing I always try and consider is that the helmet may be the most important part of our protection. While being able the buy and replace an item that costs $700.00 0r more is a major consideration, I want to be as well protected as possible. If these top shelf helmets are definitely more protective, I am going to try and bite the bullet and spend the money. Many will spend $700.00 or more to make their bike faster, but then question the price of helmets. The faster one is, the better protected they need to be.
I was like you. Shoei all the way until I tried the new 6D ATR-2. Best helmet I’ve ever owned. 2nd would be my Shoei EVO.

redrider_714
Fantasy
2268th
11/28/2018 5:11pm
DTR830 wrote:
How close is the chin bar to your face?
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
11/29/2018 2:46pm
DTR830 wrote:
How close is the chin bar to your face?
I feel its about average of all helmets. Nothing about the chin bar stood out to me as a concern. 570-606-7687 ill send you as many pics you want of a shoei evo next to the supertech
SrfNdirt
11/29/2018 4:05pm
DTR830 wrote:
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10...
I have an evo, don’t do it. The liner system is garbage now ( they did warranty me a new one) I just bought a sm10 today so we’ll see how it compares
I have a VFX-W now, but will probably need a new helmet in the next year. What is so different with the EVO liner now?
DTR830 wrote:
The front clips break & then it falls out of the front every time you take the helmet off. spoke to two others yesterday that experienced...
The front clips break & then it falls out of the front every time you take the helmet off.

spoke to two others yesterday that experienced the same thing.
I can vouch for this Angry
RPM68
11/29/2018 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 8:56pm
Moto 9 Flex is where it’s at. I love the technology behind the sm10 and Shoei, but the liner is junk in the Shoei, and the sm10 just doesn’t quite fit me right. All 3 are great options but the Flex has the best fit for me.

I too am victim of the Shoei liner obviously.
MelonFan123
12/1/2018 9:50am
DTR830 wrote:
DTR830, have you ridden in your Supertech M10 yet? How noticeable is the adjustability of the A-Head feature?

I was dead set on a new Shoei EVO, my current VFX-W is long in the tooth. Tried on the EVO and it fit perfect and much more comfortable than the Bell and 6D for my head shape.

But the feedback on the new liner in the EVO has me second guessing. Might need to go try on a M10...
redrider_714
Fantasy
2268th
12/1/2018 5:19pm
Does the liner in the EVO break upon removal? Or does it fail overtime from use? Kinda disheartening to here of issues with Shoei as I absolutely loved my VFX-W but it is time for an upgrade.
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
12/1/2018 8:42pm
Does the liner in the EVO break upon removal? Or does it fail overtime from use? Kinda disheartening to here of issues with Shoei as I...
Does the liner in the EVO break upon removal? Or does it fail overtime from use? Kinda disheartening to here of issues with Shoei as I absolutely loved my VFX-W but it is time for an upgrade.
I've owned 9 shoei vfx w since 2010 I am sad to leave as well, no I haven't ridden in it yet
DTR830
Fantasy
1105th
12/1/2018 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 11:57am
DTR830 wrote:
DTR830, have you ridden in your Supertech M10 yet? How noticeable is the adjustability of the A-Head feature? I was dead set on a new Shoei...
DTR830, have you ridden in your Supertech M10 yet? How noticeable is the adjustability of the A-Head feature?

I was dead set on a new Shoei EVO, my current VFX-W is long in the tooth. Tried on the EVO and it fit perfect and much more comfortable than the Bell and 6D for my head shape.

But the feedback on the new liner in the EVO has me second guessing. Might need to go try on a M10...
I don't feel the need to move the liner.

from what I told the OP
headliner install is better on sm10
cheekpads evo

comfort evo

weight sm10

overall a dead match Imo
Spooner
12/2/2018 7:48am
I’ve ridden in mine a fair amount so far. I’ve washed the liner twice and it holds up fine. The air flow is crazy, just standing in the pits you can feel the breeze through the shell.

As for the adjustability, most people fit the helmet fine in the standard all the way up position. I’ve had at least 50
people try them on and maybe 5 needed any adjustments at all.
Motofinne
12/2/2018 11:11am
I'm still waiting to get my hands on the SM8. The only difference will be the shell material and weight but the price will be really good, especially since i will be able to get a good deal on the Astars helmets.

If the SM8 is under 1350g i might get that one. Otherwise i'll get the SM10 for 2019.
Spooner
12/2/2018 1:04pm
The M8 is still a carbon shell but not 100%. I’ve heard it’s roughly 100 grams heavier and ~$100 less. Not sure when they are launching just yet.
Motofinne
12/2/2018 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2018 11:18pm
Spooner wrote:
The M8 is still a carbon shell but not 100%. I’ve heard it’s roughly 100 grams heavier and ~$100 less. Not sure when they are launching...
The M8 is still a carbon shell but not 100%. I’ve heard it’s roughly 100 grams heavier and ~$100 less. Not sure when they are launching just yet.
Great news, i'm pretty certain that i will be in Alpinestars from head to toe then!

The ECE version of the SM10 weighs 1260g (size M).

Post a reply to: New Helmet Time—Shoei VFX-EVO or Alpinestars SM10 Bell Moto 9

The Latest