New Hauler - Ditched the Trailer

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2019 3:10 PM

It was time for a change. Always had to haul 3 bikes and gear so I've been using a 6 x 10 trailer for years. Son is moving out so one less bike to haul. Dumped the Tahoe for the a new GMC AT4. I've put 1,000 miles on it and like it a lot! I'll still haul with a trailer when needed but will be nice to not mess with it.

The new tailgate on the GMC trucks makes loading a breeze even with the 2" OEM lift. May not be as easy when I throw 35's on it...

Photo

Photo

|

1/28/2019 3:13 PM

Congratulations! I work at a GMC dealer, the new 2019’s are one hell of a truck. I really like the AT4.

|

1/28/2019 3:13 PM

Can you post some more pics? Love the look of the new body style.!!

|

1/28/2019 3:28 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
|

1/28/2019 3:31 PM

Good looking truck!! That tailgate is a game changer. Congrats on the new ride.

|

1/28/2019 3:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 3:38 PM

What the heck is that!! GMC canyon replacement? Looks sweet

Edit: k it’s a full-size the body work threw me off... congrats! GM is all we trust for our drilling outfit

|

1/28/2019 3:36 PM

I think it looks better in OP’s photo than in the promo pics.

One question. How substantial is the hinged gate? Does it seem like it will go the distance or is another one of those GM features that’s cool until it breaks after minimal use?

|

1/28/2019 3:41 PM

Looks great!

|

1/28/2019 3:42 PM

I've always thought the Ford tailgate was a lame setup. The GM is a pretty well thought out design that seems quite functional. Lots of stuff going on there, probably real expensive to replace when stolen! Do they still come off easily at a 45 degree angle as always? A simple hose clamp fastened around the right tailgate hinge (slotted one) makes it too much of a pain for the thief. Easy theft deterrent, and cheap. Looked at the Chevrolet version this weekend at the Houston auto show. Pretty slick all the way.

|

1/28/2019 3:42 PM

reded wrote:

I think it looks better in OP’s photo than in the promo pics.

One question. How substantial is the hinged gate? Does it seem like it will go the distance or is another one of those GM features that’s cool until it breaks after minimal use?

It’s super solid, well engineered. Built with all metal hinges.

|

1/28/2019 3:49 PM

reded wrote:

I think it looks better in OP’s photo than in the promo pics.

One question. How substantial is the hinged gate? Does it seem like it will go the distance or is another one of those GM features that’s cool until it breaks after minimal use?

boston_jorj wrote:

It’s super solid, well engineered. Built with all metal hinges.

Aluminum gate though? Steel cab and bed with aluminum hood, fenders, doors and gate?

|

1/28/2019 3:52 PM

great looking truck bro

funny thing is the first time i saw the tailgate commercial the first thing i thought of was how easy loading a bike would be. i am tall so i don't need anything to stand on but it's still a bitch to load a dual-sport bike alone.

|

1/28/2019 4:00 PM

Super nice! Thanks

|

1/28/2019 4:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 4:24 PM

Spudnut wrote:

What the heck is that!! GMC canyon replacement? Looks sweet

Edit: k it’s a full-size the body work threw me off... congrats! GM is all we trust for our drilling outfit

Yeah, it's the all new for 2019 "T1" truck. The AT4 is their "special" off road edition. Chevy has the "Trail Boss". Both trucks are a level above Z71 packages as they come with a 2" OEM suspension lift and other goodies. GM's version of the Raptor BUT it's not in the same league as the Raptor for Baja/desert/pre-runner type stuff. It just doesn't have the suspension travel or power as the Raptor. GM also specifically states it was not meant to be a "Raptor" but does offer better off road capability than a "standard" GM 4x4.

What drilling outfit is located in WA? I work for Unit Drilling Company and we are a Oklahoma based oil and gas drilling contractor.

Not much O&G activity in WA!?!? Are you a water well drilling outfit?

Here's one of our "new" rigs:

Photo

|

1/28/2019 4:15 PM

peelout wrote:

great looking truck bro

funny thing is the first time i saw the tailgate commercial the first thing i thought of was how easy loading a bike would be. i am tall so i don't need anything to stand on but it's still a bitch to load a dual-sport bike alone.

Sort of amusing as GMC has a number of commercials out extolling the virtues of the tail gate and loading dirt bikes. EVERY commercial they have portrays a KTM(s), my current bike of choice. I guess GMC is rolling with their "Professional Grade" theme by partnering with the only "Professional Grade/Ready to Race" brand of bike... wink

Photo

|

1/28/2019 4:22 PM

reded wrote:

I think it looks better in OP’s photo than in the promo pics.

One question. How substantial is the hinged gate? Does it seem like it will go the distance or is another one of those GM features that’s cool until it breaks after minimal use?

boston_jorj wrote:

It’s super solid, well engineered. Built with all metal hinges.

newmann wrote:

Aluminum gate though? Steel cab and bed with aluminum hood, fenders, doors and gate?

Correct. Everything "hinged" is aluminum including the gate. Tailgate seems sturdy and built to last the duration, however, time will tell.

I wonder how many people will rip their's up by lowering "all the way" with a receiver/hitch installed. It won't be pretty...

|

1/28/2019 4:32 PM

Get a Faraday cage to keep your key(s) in. Google it.

|

1/28/2019 4:38 PM

The new Chevy and GMC trucks look to be modeled after the Tundra..Thought that’s what you bought until I looked closer!

Congrats..great looking truck!

|

1/28/2019 5:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 5:28 PM

newmann wrote:

I've always thought the Ford tailgate was a lame setup. The GM is a pretty well thought out design that seems quite functional. Lots of stuff going on there, probably real expensive to replace when stolen! Do they still come off easily at a 45 degree angle as always? A simple hose clamp fastened around the right tailgate hinge (slotted one) makes it too much of a pain for the thief. Easy theft deterrent, and cheap. Looked at the Chevrolet version this weekend at the Houston auto show. Pretty slick all the way.

speaking of afterthoughts.....when engineers don't talk to engineers.

Photo

|

1/28/2019 6:37 PM

newmann wrote:

I've always thought the Ford tailgate was a lame setup. The GM is a pretty well thought out design that seems quite functional. Lots of stuff going on there, probably real expensive to replace when stolen! Do they still come off easily at a 45 degree angle as always? A simple hose clamp fastened around the right tailgate hinge (slotted one) makes it too much of a pain for the thief. Easy theft deterrent, and cheap. Looked at the Chevrolet version this weekend at the Houston auto show. Pretty slick all the way.

Tdc_worm wrote:

speaking of afterthoughts.....when engineers don't talk to engineers.

Photo

El Oh El...now that could be a problem.blink

Good for my business though!!

|

1/28/2019 6:44 PM

Picked up a 19 ram a couple months back. Not the cool tailgate like that but it does drop at the push of the button on the key fob Photo

|

1/28/2019 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 6:55 PM

I like it! The GMC that is, the Ram is ok also.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

1/28/2019 7:53 PM

Photo
|

1/28/2019 7:56 PM

Damn nice truck man. Congrat's on that!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/28/2019 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 8:19 PM

As it's new to market a number of folks aren't familiar with the new "MultiPro Tailgate". For those folks below is a link to a 55 second video showing what ti's all about. Even includes loading a KTM wink

On a useless trivia side note a number of Chevy Silverado loyalists are not happy that the tailgate is not available on a Chevy. GM has said they want brand differentiation and will probably add to Chevy lineup in 2 years. They further annoy Silverado loyalists as they don't offer the GMC carbon fiber bed or the 6.2l in the Chevy. The lack of the larger engine is causing a big fuss on the GM truck forums. To a lesser extent the lack of the carbon fiber bed option on the Chevy is not sitting well with the faithful.

GM is serious about separating the 2 brands.

|

1/28/2019 8:28 PM

Sexy truck indeed. Love the new GMC’s and Chevs.
But...
Kinda looks like an F150, no?
Whatevz, that is sweet!

|

1/29/2019 7:25 AM

Ok, I'm not tech savvy at all so I hope this works. It's a Facebook link of a video that my buddy took at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit. My apologies if it doesn't work.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216258626352280&id=1051708292

|

1/29/2019 8:15 AM

35" tires....… rub a dub dub on them pretty fender wells. Ild go for a 295/60. Get 34 tall and not quite as wide to help with clearance. Nice trucks though

|

1/29/2019 8:24 AM

Nice truck. That tailgate is nice, but when I first saw it a few months back, I had to laugh because a few years ago GM ran this ad:

|

1/29/2019 8:52 AM

Spudnut wrote:

What the heck is that!! GMC canyon replacement? Looks sweet

Edit: k it’s a full-size the body work threw me off... congrats! GM is all we trust for our drilling outfit

rikhek wrote:

Yeah, it's the all new for 2019 "T1" truck. The AT4 is their "special" off road edition. Chevy has the "Trail Boss". Both trucks are a level above Z71 packages as they come with a 2" OEM suspension lift and other goodies. GM's version of the Raptor BUT it's not in the same league as the Raptor for Baja/desert/pre-runner type stuff. It just doesn't have the suspension travel or power as the Raptor. GM also specifically states it was not meant to be a "Raptor" but does offer better off road capability than a "standard" GM 4x4.

What drilling outfit is located in WA? I work for Unit Drilling Company and we are a Oklahoma based oil and gas drilling contractor.

Not much O&G activity in WA!?!? Are you a water well drilling outfit?

Here's one of our "new" rigs:

Photo

Holy shit that things massive but yes we drill domestic water wells all over eastern wa (statewide well drilling) just a small 1 rig outfit family business style operation but we’re looking into another rig with all the growth around here. So many wells to be drilled and there’s only going to be more coming!

Happy drilling and stay safe out there on that big SOB!

|