New Goggle Shopping - Looking for Suggestions

KGAspeed
7/10/2017 8:53pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I wear a TLD Medium SE4 and Dragon NFX (the std "big ones"). Nothing has the HUGE viewing area of the NFX. Also, the lenses aren't...
I wear a TLD Medium SE4 and Dragon NFX (the std "big ones"). Nothing has the HUGE viewing area of the NFX. Also, the lenses aren't always super expensive. The std grey, Amber, clear and I think blue aren't too bad.

What usually messes up the lenses on this goggle are people cleaning it incorrectly. Take care to remove dirt/sand from the lens carefully and it'll last longer than you'd believe. Don't let crap that gets between the tear-offs and lens stay in there...get it out of there...I actually carefully remove my tear-offs and get the dirt out...& then put'em back on. Also, I only run tear offs when they're really needed.
Do you have any idea what makes the "snow" version of the NFX different than the MX? I'm assuming it's just the dual pane lens?

Also. I just looked at photos of Osborne from Southwick. It looks like he's just wearing their regular MDX goggle? Any idea? Not that it matters but it seems as though not many pros run these - although looking at photos of Anderson, he seems to be using the NFX. Again, doesn't matter, but validates things a little.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
7/10/2017 9:00pm
These are my favorites

TeamGreen
7/10/2017 9:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I wear a TLD Medium SE4 and Dragon NFX (the std "big ones"). Nothing has the HUGE viewing area of the NFX. Also, the lenses aren't...
I wear a TLD Medium SE4 and Dragon NFX (the std "big ones"). Nothing has the HUGE viewing area of the NFX. Also, the lenses aren't always super expensive. The std grey, Amber, clear and I think blue aren't too bad.

What usually messes up the lenses on this goggle are people cleaning it incorrectly. Take care to remove dirt/sand from the lens carefully and it'll last longer than you'd believe. Don't let crap that gets between the tear-offs and lens stay in there...get it out of there...I actually carefully remove my tear-offs and get the dirt out...& then put'em back on. Also, I only run tear offs when they're really needed.
KGAspeed wrote:
Do you have any idea what makes the "snow" version of the NFX different than the MX? I'm assuming it's just the dual pane lens? Also...
Do you have any idea what makes the "snow" version of the NFX different than the MX? I'm assuming it's just the dual pane lens?

Also. I just looked at photos of Osborne from Southwick. It looks like he's just wearing their regular MDX goggle? Any idea? Not that it matters but it seems as though not many pros run these - although looking at photos of Anderson, he seems to be using the NFX. Again, doesn't matter, but validates things a little.
The snow goggle has an entirely different "bubble lens" & those are REAL expensive. ALL NFX/S/2 lenses are anti-fog.
Lynch
7/10/2017 9:50pm
I have used scott as long as I can remember, tried two pairs of 100% a while back however I could never get used to the fit and the lenses scrathed like crazy for me. Atm I'm trying to decide between buying two pairs of prospects or airbrakes, I have only tried on the prospect and I felt pressure on my nose which sucks. Question for the airbrake folks: Are laminated tear offs worth it? Or are the regular ones fine?

The Shop

MBR
7/10/2017 11:25pm
Lynch wrote:
I have used scott as long as I can remember, tried two pairs of 100% a while back however I could never get used to the...
I have used scott as long as I can remember, tried two pairs of 100% a while back however I could never get used to the fit and the lenses scrathed like crazy for me. Atm I'm trying to decide between buying two pairs of prospects or airbrakes, I have only tried on the prospect and I felt pressure on my nose which sucks. Question for the airbrake folks: Are laminated tear offs worth it? Or are the regular ones fine?
Laminated are the only way to go. The regular ones have "milky" view. Changing the lens with Airbrake is incredible easy and fast (less than 1min out-wash-in), so you can manage the raceday easily with one set. Just get one clear lens and one prizm (they really sharpen the view) lens and few packs of laminated and you are good to go.
7/10/2017 11:49pm
I had a couple pairs of the cheaper version of the 100% goggles and just was given a pair of the Oakley Crowbars and they are very nice in comparison. I ride with glasses and they fit just perfect over my glasses and hold them snug in place. Plus the foam on my face feels a lot better.
Slosh 112
7/11/2017 1:21am
Airbrakes Airbrakes Airbrakes. Well in my opinion by far the best you can buy, fully rebuildable, takes seconds to change the lens, will last you multiple seasons. they are worth the price if you factor in their serviceable nature. I run a medium sized Fox V3 and a Shoei VFX-W fit perfect.

Best thing you can do is take your helmet to the shop and try on a few goggles to see what you like. Just make sure your helmet is clean or they will carry on, if they object about trying goggles out just remind them nobody ever bought a helmet without trying it on first.
tempura
7/11/2017 2:05am
I've been using the Oakley Crowbars for years.
Quality is good, can't complain..but now all these new goggles are emerging, my next pair will likely be airbrakes, prospects or NFXS.
The quick on/off feature of the lens is what I want the most now.
The safety aspect of the oakley's and dragon's are also appealing. Cost, not so appealing...lol
KGAspeed
7/11/2017 7:51am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 7:52am
TeamGreen wrote:

KGAspeed wrote:
Do you have any idea what makes the "snow" version of the NFX different than the MX? I'm assuming it's just the dual pane lens? Also...

TeamGreen wrote:
The snow goggle has an entirely different "bubble lens" & those are REAL expensive. ALL NFX/S/2 lenses are anti-fog.
I've found some "snow" lenses that are just dual pane with venting up top. Not the bubble style you're referring to but I know exactly what you mean.

Hey have you tried the NFX2 in your medium TLD lid?

So now because of your statement about the NFX I'm leaning back in that direction.
TeamGreen
7/11/2017 10:38am
KGAspeed wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
I've found some "snow" lenses that are just dual pane with venting up top. Not the bubble style you're referring to but I know exactly what...
I've found some "snow" lenses that are just dual pane with venting up top. Not the bubble style you're referring to but I know exactly what you mean.

Hey have you tried the NFX2 in your medium TLD lid?

So now because of your statement about the NFX I'm leaning back in that direction.
The best NFX for most people is the NFX"S". The NFX2 has outriggers and a really easy lens changing system; but, can fit some people a little funky compared the the NFX-S which fits EVERYONE. NFX2 costs more and has the most expensive lenses, too...I think.

WPS sells Dragon.
KGAspeed
7/11/2017 11:43am
TeamGreen wrote:
The best NFX for most people is the NFX"S". The NFX2 has outriggers and a really easy lens changing system; but, can fit some people a...
The best NFX for most people is the NFX"S". The NFX2 has outriggers and a really easy lens changing system; but, can fit some people a little funky compared the the NFX-S which fits EVERYONE. NFX2 costs more and has the most expensive lenses, too...I think.

WPS sells Dragon.
I ordered a pair of NXFs; they just showed up. I'll post a photo - you'll see what I mean about the lens - I'll need to get the regular MX lens as this one has vents up-top that takes away from the larger field-of-view I want. Not a big deal and the fit good.

I also just ordered a pair of NFX - looking forward to getting those. You're right - lenses aren't bad. RockyMountain has them for around $20.

Also a good topic: cleaning. I assume the best method is nothing but water and a soft cloth?

Looking forward to trying these out tomorrow.
MBR
7/11/2017 11:54am
Those Airbrake lenses are bullet (air gun, but still) proof, normal ones are not.
TeamGreen
7/11/2017 1:26pm
KGAspeed wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/11/204411/s1200_IMG_2618.jpg[/img]

Save that lens for REALLY COLD AND WET days... Also, you're gonna need a tear-off clip for your strap (you bought Snow Goggles: no tear offs and clip).

And, that lens is GREAT for the slopes...of-course.

DO NOT get the inside of the lens, any Dragon NFX/S/2 lens...wet. There's an anti-fog gel on the inside. Wipe them very gently and in a "low humidity" environment. You're correct on using water and soft-clean cloths on the outside...only...the outside.

Take care to keep crap from getting between the lens and your tear-offs.

Good Luck!

Manny
KGAspeed
7/11/2017 6:21pm
KGAspeed wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/11/204411/s1200_IMG_2618.jpg[/img]

TeamGreen wrote:
Save that lens for REALLY COLD AND WET days... Also, you're gonna need a tear-off clip for your strap (you bought Snow Goggles: no tear offs...
Save that lens for REALLY COLD AND WET days... Also, you're gonna need a tear-off clip for your strap (you bought Snow Goggles: no tear offs and clip).

And, that lens is GREAT for the slopes...of-course.

DO NOT get the inside of the lens, any Dragon NFX/S/2 lens...wet. There's an anti-fog gel on the inside. Wipe them very gently and in a "low humidity" environment. You're correct on using water and soft-clean cloths on the outside...only...the outside.

Take care to keep crap from getting between the lens and your tear-offs.

Good Luck!

Manny
Yep I figured they were the Snow version, but for the price I paid, I'm very ok with it. I'll grab a regular MX Amber lens this week.

And good info - thanks. Looking forward to getting the full size NFX tomorrow too. Ultimately I wanted the frameless or full-frame lens style and these have always caught my eye (no pun).

For anyone else curious I'll post up my thoughts on them after a couple rides.

kkawboy14
7/11/2017 6:34pm
Lynch wrote:
I have used scott as long as I can remember, tried two pairs of 100% a while back however I could never get used to the...
I have about 10 pairs of 100%, used to be a Scotts guy.

Always leave tear offs on your goggles, even if it's dry have at least 2 tear offs, pull the dusty one off and throw it in your bag with one tear off on it, no more scratches
KGAspeed
7/12/2017 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 8:55pm
Had a great night doing some testing in one of our beautiful local canyons. I tried the Dragon NFX and the NFXs. The smaller version definitely felt better - really liked it.

And actually the vented lens was nice; I thought the restricted field of view would bug me but the air flow was welcomed in the heat of tight mountain trails.

The larger NFX fit, but barely. And it was hot. I'll probably sell the NFX and get another pair of the NFXS. I was impressed with both / good clear optics and comfortable. Anxious to get my staple Amber lens and mess with other colors.

And the scenery is ok.

Ryguy125
7/13/2017 4:53am
I have a pair of Airbrakes that I bought off a buddy- for 40$. Best goggles I have ever used. The Prospects are a VERY close second. I ride woods and neither of those have fogging problems for me, as well as offer a huge field of vision and they are exceptionally comfortable on the face, no pinching on the nose, and the tear off system works rather well. Havent tried the Dragons though..nobody I know runs them so I have no input on those.
7/13/2017 5:33am
Don't know if these are on the US market, but they are great. Never had a cracked lens. Great viewing area and the optional roll off gives you a large film. Progrip 3301

7/13/2017 6:27am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2017 6:29am
I tried out a pair of Spy Omen goggles after they gave me a deal on them. They're actually quite good. I race offroad and have issues with sweat spraying the inside of the goggles if I hit something hard and jars my face forward. Also with many other goggles they just didn't vent enough and riding in hot/humid midwest conditions they would have to be taken off after about an hour and a half because they'd be so saturated with sweat. Last year I took off a pair of goggles and threw them to my wife about midway through a race and remember a sweat trail following the goggles through the air as I threw them at her!

After getting a deal on Spy Goggles, I figured I would try them out and see how they did overall. The biggest thing about them is the padding. It's thicker so they sit off your face a bit further than other goggles. That's the biggest thing to get used to. After racing with them through some hot/crappy conditions I'm able to keep them on the entire race without having issues with sweat getting all over the inside of the goggles and I don't have issues with sweat dripping into my eyes.

The one thing I don't like is how easily the "happy lense" can be scratched. I actually like the tint of these lenses, but man do they scratch easily. I cleaned them the same way I've cleaned goggles the previous 23 years and I couldn't wear them after that. It must be unique to these lenses as I'm using the clear ones now and have had no issues with scratching.

As far as the "bro" culture I read about on the other thread.... I'm not even gonna look. I'd probably have to sell them if I saw a bunch of hipsters sporting them with flannel shirts and women's pants on.

7/13/2017 9:46am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Don't know if these are on the US market, but they are great. Never had a cracked lens. Great viewing area and the optional roll off...
Don't know if these are on the US market, but they are great. Never had a cracked lens. Great viewing area and the optional roll off gives you a large film. Progrip 3301

Not worth the money IMO. Maybe ten years ago but right now it's an outdated goggle. Throw in a little more money and get a Scott Prospect with roll off.... The progrip lenses are a real bitch to get out and in. The roll off film also didn't impress me.
dylanv21
7/13/2017 11:10am
Airbrakes are were it is at, best goggle I have ever worn

Post a reply to: New Goggle Shopping - Looking for Suggestions

The Latest