New Goggle Shopping - Looking for Suggestions

KGAspeed
Edited Date/Time 7/13/2017 9:46am
After not riding much the past few seasons, I bought a new bike to put the spark back in it, and now I need to update some stuff.

Looking at goggles. I like the trend of the larger field of view which leads to a few:

Looking for suggestions and what you like about them. I ride off-road so abuse and affordability of replacement lenses is a concern as I change them often.

Dragon NFXS and NFX2. Seem well built and a nice lens system but crazy expensive replacement lenses. But "optically-correct" injection molded lenses). Upwards of $50+ just for a lens for the NFX2. NFXS isn't so bad but a smaller goggle.

100%. Look good. Seemingly wider field of view. Good pricing all the way around. Apparently everyone and their brother wears them.

Scott Prospect. Great looking and wide field of view.

EKS Brand S. Out of support for Pulp. Good pricing.

EDIT: I wear a size Medium Troy Lee Air helmet.

I run the orange / amber lens all the time in every condition - the only one above that doesn't seem to have that option is the Prospect. Other than that, I'm leaning toward 100%
|
IceMan446
7/10/2017 8:40am
I run the prospects. Love them and they have a huge field of vision. A little more pricey than other goggles but they are easy to change lenses on and they have a great roll off package. I guess I'm biased because I have always worn scott goggles and never once had an issue and I'm a stickler when it comes to goggles so I can't ever seem to be able to switch.

EKS brands fit like old scott 89s to me. But super good comfort and they have good foam and lenses for the cost. Id run them also because of Pulp.

100% would be my second choice if I didn't already wear scotts. Wider field of vision compared to the EKS brands and they have a good roll off system also. Tons of colors and lens choices which is nice to have.

Scott has lens coming out along with some other color ways coming out very soon.
Manco
7/10/2017 8:42am
You'll get pay for. I bought the 100% goggles to save cash then found out they aren't safety rated. They work good though. No complaints really besides the lack of a ANSI rated lens. I will be going with the Dragons or other ANSI rated goggle next time.
bvm111
7/10/2017 8:46am
Scott goggles rock!

Motofinne
7/10/2017 8:47am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 8:47am
I would recommend the Oakley Airbrakes.

I'm not a fan of the 100% goggles. They pinch my nose and the lenses are not good(probably the worst on the market), they get easily scratched and are the only lens that have ever cracked while i got hit by a rock. The forecast roll off system looks good though, i never got the opportunity to try that since i switched to the Airbrakes before they introduced that product.

The Scott Prospects are the ones i would recommend if you can't justify full retail for the Airbrakes or can't find a set that is discounted. Great field of view like with the Airbrakes but with a non injection molded lens.

The Shop

7/10/2017 8:51am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 8:53am
I bought an 100% Accuri a while ago but I sold it after a month or so because I kept getting sand in the goggle when I got roosted.

I now run the Scott prospects. They're pretty big but I like them. I don't really care about the lens because I don't ride hard pack so no stones. Price/quality ratio of the prospect is pretty good in my opinion.

Another important thing, the goggle has to fit in your helmet. Which helmet do you run? Because some goggles and helmets just don't work together.
motosurf
7/10/2017 8:57am
100%. Best quality and style. Have a pair of Scott's as well but the glue that holds the foam on came off literally 2 laps into a Moto. Air brakes are good too but can't justify the price
Bramlett321
7/10/2017 9:00am
motosurf wrote:
100%. Best quality and style. Have a pair of Scott's as well but the glue that holds the foam on came off literally 2 laps into...
100%. Best quality and style. Have a pair of Scott's as well but the glue that holds the foam on came off literally 2 laps into a Moto. Air brakes are good too but can't justify the price
If you can find some air breaks on close out they're not so bad. Everything that you'd need to replace on this goggle can be done for $15.00, unless you're going for a high dollar lense.
aroark247
7/10/2017 9:05am
I've owned every goggle mentioned above. The Oakley airbrakes are awesome but not as awesome as their cost. Scott prospects are good but almost too big for a smaller helmet (I wear an adult small) I lose contact with the foam from my face in them. 100 percent lens are incredibly flimsy and will crack.

Out of all of them I absolutely love my Dragon NFX2's and NFXS. Foam to face contact is always good, their foam layers are seriously the best on the market. The only complaint I have on Dragon is the NFX2's ionized tinted lens need more R&D, they are kind of squirrely in certain light conditions. (I believe Dragon has already begun incorporating their lumalens technology into the NFX2 series, which is the equivalent of Oakley's prizm technology)
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 9:07am
Good point on helmet. I'm currently wearing a Medium Troy Lee Air and will be getting the new SE4 soon.

That is what drew me to the Dragons - the quality of the lens, but I've raced and ridden my whole life in non-ANSI-rated lenses from Smith. And I like the "frameless" concept of the NDX and Airbrake etc.

One one hand $125+ seems nuts for goggles (thanks snow industry for bringing over your higher price standard) but you're protecting your *eyes* so maybe the $55 lens of the Dragons isn't such a terrible burden to pay. Kind of.

A buddy of mine has the 100% Racecraft - I need to throw those on and see how they are. I usually don't put much weight on "what the pros wear" but if the 100% are "cheap" are guys like Musquin running some modified Racecrafts for example? And the dozens of other top pros running them?

And yeah I assumed Scott would have to be coming out with more lens color options soon (orange, etc).
mxjon454
7/10/2017 9:09am
Cant really beat 100% in terms of price and style. Yes everyone runs them, but thats cause theyre super affordable and they have tons of good looking choices to choose from. If you arent worried about saving money id try the scott prospects or the oakley airbrakes. Does anyone know whats happened with Spy? Ive seen a few pairs at the local shop, theyre expensive, look like crap, and look super cheap. Those used to be the go-to goggle like 100% is now.
7/10/2017 9:20am
mxjon454 wrote:
Cant really beat 100% in terms of price and style. Yes everyone runs them, but thats cause theyre super affordable and they have tons of good...
Cant really beat 100% in terms of price and style. Yes everyone runs them, but thats cause theyre super affordable and they have tons of good looking choices to choose from. If you arent worried about saving money id try the scott prospects or the oakley airbrakes. Does anyone know whats happened with Spy? Ive seen a few pairs at the local shop, theyre expensive, look like crap, and look super cheap. Those used to be the go-to goggle like 100% is now.
Read this thread about spy
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
7/10/2017 9:35am
I've been happy with my 100% goggles. I've got a big nose, so they're actually the first goggles I've worn that dont pinch my nose. Lens and tears offs are cheap, and they use the same lens/tears offs for every model goggle.
Probably better stuff out there, but I can't justify spending the money on the other stuff. 100% is everything I want/need.
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 9:53am
aroark247 wrote:
I've owned every goggle mentioned above. The Oakley airbrakes are awesome but not as awesome as their cost. Scott prospects are good but almost too big...
I've owned every goggle mentioned above. The Oakley airbrakes are awesome but not as awesome as their cost. Scott prospects are good but almost too big for a smaller helmet (I wear an adult small) I lose contact with the foam from my face in them. 100 percent lens are incredibly flimsy and will crack.

Out of all of them I absolutely love my Dragon NFX2's and NFXS. Foam to face contact is always good, their foam layers are seriously the best on the market. The only complaint I have on Dragon is the NFX2's ionized tinted lens need more R&D, they are kind of squirrely in certain light conditions. (I believe Dragon has already begun incorporating their lumalens technology into the NFX2 series, which is the equivalent of Oakley's prizm technology)
Interesting to hear the positive about Dragon. I'm really interested in the NFXS and the NFX2. I have found great deals on both but again the price of the replacement lenses that I will need down the road is pretty crazy. What is your go to source for them?
JM485
7/10/2017 10:12am
I've been using EKS Brand for a few years and been happy with them. I tried 100% but it just didn't fit my face right and was letting dirt in consistently, but for most people I don't think that's really a problem. I like the EKS Brands because they're cheap, but the quality still seems pretty damn good to me, I've been using the same 3 sets of goggles for I think two years now, and I ride almost every weekend. I think they look good as well, but that's entirely subjective.

I'm not gonna sit here and claim they're the best out there, I have no idea since I've only worn a handful of goggle brands over the years, but for the price point I'd say you really can't go wrong. I'd recommend running a tearoff at all times just to protect the lenses from branches, roost, etc, it really helps prolong the life.
Bret
7/10/2017 1:21pm
Oakley Airbrake is my favorite by far. Comfortable. Good tear-off system. Cleaning/changing lenses is ridiculously easy.
MBR
7/10/2017 1:37pm
Just did 10 brand shoot out for magazine.
1. Oakley Airbrake
2. Oakley Front line
3. Scott Prospect

But most important factor how the goggles fit your face & helmet combo. Don't buy without trying first or you'll have goggles full of dust or fogged lenses.
7/10/2017 2:20pm
The 100% Racecraft don't fit my 6D helmet very well. Otherwise I love the goggles.
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 2:25pm
I've checked out the Airbrakes for obvious reasons. And the Frontline just looks like a new slightly smaller version of the Airbrake. A friend of mine used to work for an eyewear company (snow) and he always bagged on Oakley saying they were massively overpriced for what they are, but it's hard to argue all of the positive feedback.

I do really like the Prospects as well and if you dig around, they are priced about the same as the 100% Racecraft that so many people wear.
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 2:26pm
The 100% Racecraft don't fit my 6D helmet very well. Otherwise I love the goggles.
Yeah a friend of mine has the Racecraft and the Accuri; 'claims the Racecraft doesn't fit well but the traditional strap of the Acurri does.
aroark247
7/10/2017 3:17pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Interesting to hear the positive about Dragon. I'm really interested in the NFXS and the NFX2. I have found great deals on both but again the...
Interesting to hear the positive about Dragon. I'm really interested in the NFXS and the NFX2. I have found great deals on both but again the price of the replacement lenses that I will need down the road is pretty crazy. What is your go to source for them?
I get them through western powersports, but I work for a dealership and get employee prices. If you have a dealership nearby that sells through western powersports you see if they would work with you on prices. WPS is a good distributor and can usually get stuff to dealerships within a day or two.
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 3:57pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Interesting to hear the positive about Dragon. I'm really interested in the NFXS and the NFX2. I have found great deals on both but again the...
aroark247 wrote:
I get them through western powersports, but I work for a dealership and get employee prices. If you have a dealership nearby that sells through western...
I get them through western powersports, but I work for a dealership and get employee prices. If you have a dealership nearby that sells through western powersports you see if they would work with you on prices. WPS is a good distributor and can usually get stuff to dealerships within a day or two.
I miss those days. I used to work for Tucker.

Was just curious if you had a good online source. I'm sure my local dealer won't squeak anything under retail and even 10% isn't enough.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/10/2017 4:04pm
I was always a big fan of my Smith Goggles, although I may have to make the switch to the Prospects from Scott soon. They look awesome
TeamGreen
7/10/2017 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 5:13pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Good point on helmet. I'm currently wearing a Medium Troy Lee Air and will be getting the new SE4 soon. That is what drew me to...
Good point on helmet. I'm currently wearing a Medium Troy Lee Air and will be getting the new SE4 soon.

That is what drew me to the Dragons - the quality of the lens, but I've raced and ridden my whole life in non-ANSI-rated lenses from Smith. And I like the "frameless" concept of the NDX and Airbrake etc.

One one hand $125+ seems nuts for goggles (thanks snow industry for bringing over your higher price standard) but you're protecting your *eyes* so maybe the $55 lens of the Dragons isn't such a terrible burden to pay. Kind of.

A buddy of mine has the 100% Racecraft - I need to throw those on and see how they are. I usually don't put much weight on "what the pros wear" but if the 100% are "cheap" are guys like Musquin running some modified Racecrafts for example? And the dozens of other top pros running them?

And yeah I assumed Scott would have to be coming out with more lens color options soon (orange, etc).
I wear a TLD Medium SE4 and Dragon NFX (the std "big ones"). Nothing has the HUGE viewing area of the NFX. Also, the lenses aren't always super expensive. The std grey, Amber, clear and I think blue aren't too bad.

What usually messes up the lenses on this goggle are people cleaning it incorrectly. Take care to remove dirt/sand from the lens carefully and it'll last longer than you'd believe. Don't let crap that gets between the tear-offs and lens stay in there...get it out of there...I actually carefully remove my tear-offs and get the dirt out...& then put'em back on. Also, I only run tear offs when they're really needed.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/10/2017 4:19pm
I had a size medium TLD air helmet a few years ago, tried Dragon NFX2 goggles and they did not fit well with the helmet. I currently wear airbrakes and recommend them if you can find a pair on closeout at a price you're comfortable with. Their MSRP is outrageous. Changing the lens is extremely easy and it also makes cleaning the goggle inbetween motos very easy.
Steadman
7/10/2017 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2017 6:43pm
I've been using Scott goggles for over 15 years. They just keep getting better. Great product.

I believe they are still MADE IN THE USA. Heck I'm Canadian but I'll support a North American product vs something from China whenever I can (pretty hard to do these days though.) Support your own first boys! (and girls)
Spooner
7/10/2017 7:34pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Yeah a friend of mine has the Racecraft and the Accuri; 'claims the Racecraft doesn't fit well but the traditional strap of the Acurri does.
The racecraft and accuri are the same goggle other than the outriggers. Same foam, frame, strap, etc. Its basically just two different fits. You’ll notice a lot of their guys like Marvin run the accuri just because that fits them better.
ricko
7/10/2017 7:39pm
the prospects are my new favorite goggle, always been a scott fan but these are for sure a very nice google. love them
KGAspeed
7/10/2017 8:01pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Spooner wrote:
The racecraft and accuri are the same goggle other than the outriggers. Same foam, frame, strap, etc. Its basically just two different fits. You’ll notice a...
The racecraft and accuri are the same goggle other than the outriggers. Same foam, frame, strap, etc. Its basically just two different fits. You’ll notice a lot of their guys like Marvin run the accuri just because that fits them better.
Well that was my point - he said the outrigger system in the Racecraft just didn't work with his helmet.

KGAspeed
7/10/2017 8:47pm
bh84 wrote:
I was always a big fan of my Smith Goggles, although I may have to make the switch to the Prospects from Scott soon. They look...
I was always a big fan of my Smith Goggles, although I may have to make the switch to the Prospects from Scott soon. They look awesome
I've worn Smith since I was a kid. Nothing but. I still have some like-new Intakes that I really like and currently wear, but I want to step into this decade and retire them.

Post a reply to: New Goggle Shopping - Looking for Suggestions

The Latest