New GoPro Hero 7 is pretty dang good for moto

MB109
10/17/2018 10:22am
I run a mount under my visor (Pro Standard Low Mount?) and the POV is great. I use the Session5 though, anything bigger and it might be annoying.
10/17/2018 10:38am
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using...
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using any type of case or housing?
I don't have a case for it at the moment, so the sound you're hearing is straight out of the box. I've heard of people buying...
I don't have a case for it at the moment, so the sound you're hearing is straight out of the box. I've heard of people buying those little fake mustaches from party stores and cutting a small circle out of them to stick over GoPro microphones which supposedly reduces wind noise a lot. Might be worth trying out! Alternatively, I know some companies sell foam "socks" that slip over the entire gopro that also reduces wind noise. I've never used one though.

Awesome, I'll most likely be swinging by Best Buy after work today to pick mine up. I usually get the gopro clear case just because I...
Awesome, I'll most likely be swinging by Best Buy after work today to pick mine up. I usually get the gopro clear case just because I like to keep my stuff extra protected. I'll be going on a cruise next week also and I like to use it for snorkeling and stuff.
I use one of these "Wind Condoms" and it works perfect. Audio is 100% better.

OP did you upload with Quik or youtube.com?
numba1 fan
10/17/2018 10:39am
so with the gopro 7, there is no need for a gimball anymore right? Would you notice any benefit from using a gimball with it?
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
10/17/2018 10:49am
T-Fish wrote:
My Hero 7 Black is pissing me off because I can’t get the fucking thing to live stream. I’ve gotten it to connect one time for...
My Hero 7 Black is pissing me off because I can’t get the fucking thing to live stream. I’ve gotten it to connect one time for about 30 seconds, and never again has it connected.

Aside from that, it’s awesome! Excellent picture quality and the stabilization is crazy good for being electronic!
I’m pretty bummed to hear this about shooting Live because this is just about the only reason I can’t wait for mine to come in the...
I’m pretty bummed to hear this about shooting Live because this is just about the only reason I can’t wait for mine to come in the mail! I love my Hero session 5 but uploading just takes so long without a computer and going straight on to GoPro plus. I am really looking forward to being about to shoot live videos with it!! I’m sure GoPro will have a update to fix the live connection problems soon. I sure hope so at least!!
I just got off of the phone with GoPro. The gal (Liz) told me it’s not suggested to use the hotspot on your phone to live stream due to bad connection issues. After going back and forth a bit, she did say it’s fine as long as you’re in an area with great reception (duh).

The Shop

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
10/17/2018 10:51am
numba1 fan wrote:
so with the gopro 7, there is no need for a gimball anymore right? Would you notice any benefit from using a gimball with it?
The electronic stabilization they use isn’t as good as a gimbal, but it does a great job. The biggest difference you’d see is if you’re leaning. The gimbal will keep the picture straight while the GoPro will show you’re leaning.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
10/17/2018 11:04am
Really good Video thanks for sharing
matze
Fantasy
3101st
10/17/2018 11:07am
awesome ride. Damn, I would love to ride that track!
holyroller1
Fantasy
282nd
10/17/2018 11:29am
I saw this video a day or so before you posted here while looking for Hero 7 MX footage.

Great stuff man, although I think you could sink your grips in the dirt on turns more than the 2 or 3 inches you were getting here. Maybe get the whole grip cutting a rut next time instead of just the tip.... PFFFT Blink

All kidding aside, great riding and great video! I look forward to more.
fpandjic
10/17/2018 11:42am
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart...
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart rate data as well, so I paired my GoPro with the Garmin 520 cycling computer that you can see mounted on my bars. I wear an external heart rate strap which pairs to the Garmin. Kind of a hassle, but it’s pretty cool to see the data on screen.
From what I can see, the overlay data isn't really accurate? Especially the mph data
JeffWalker841
10/17/2018 11:56am
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart...
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart rate data as well, so I paired my GoPro with the Garmin 520 cycling computer that you can see mounted on my bars. I wear an external heart rate strap which pairs to the Garmin. Kind of a hassle, but it’s pretty cool to see the data on screen.
fpandjic wrote:
From what I can see, the overlay data isn't really accurate? Especially the mph data
Heart rate data is 100% accurate, but the speed is probably off by 5-10% in some areas and might be slightly delayed since it’s just based off of GPS position. I’m not sure if there’s a way to get more accurate info or not
PJ205
10/17/2018 3:06pm

You use it on the Hero 7? It doesn't sound muffled or anything? I picked up one of these from Amazon, but read about people saying that they overheat the cam too easily so I haven't tried it yet. Figured that the natural audio on the 7 was good enough, but now I'm tempted to give it a shot.
mxrider971
10/17/2018 3:09pm
Nice riding! That track and scenery look unreal.
10/19/2018 6:29pm

PJ205 wrote:
You use it on the Hero 7? It doesn't sound muffled or anything? I picked up one of these from Amazon, but read about people saying...
You use it on the Hero 7? It doesn't sound muffled or anything? I picked up one of these from Amazon, but read about people saying that they overheat the cam too easily so I haven't tried it yet. Figured that the natural audio on the 7 was good enough, but now I'm tempted to give it a shot.
I use it on hero 5 Black and it does wonders for quality. It’s cheap, get two you will not be disappointed. Make sure to turn wind mode off, that’s what works best for my camera.

I like the 7 but can’t justify upgrading since I only record in 1080p 60 anyways.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
10/19/2018 7:05pm
If it’ll help me ride like that, I’m sold!

I got the 4 when it came out, used it less than 5 times and was disappointed
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
10/20/2018 8:44am
I really like your camera positioning, rather watch that than on top of helmet.
10/21/2018 1:10pm
Hey guys, first post for me on here. I hear VitalMX is a warm and inviting place with zero tolerance for hostility;) Anyways, I recently picked...
Hey guys, first post for me on here. I hear VitalMX is a warm and inviting place with zero tolerance for hostilityWink

Anyways, I recently picked up the new GoPro Hero 7: Black edition and took it to some local SW Florida tracks last weekend, and I've gotta say I'm pretty dang impressed with it. I've tried out some friends' GoPros in the past and the footage consistently turns out like garbage, so I didn't have my expectations super high. Happy to report that it blew my expectations out of the water! Figured I'd share it with you guys incase anyone was thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

GoPro mounted on my mouthpiece. Shot in 2.7k 30fps in Superview with Hypersmooth enabled:
https://youtu.be/SC_yypnhZBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_yypnhZBA&t=11s

I've noticed youtube really murders the quality of the video after uploading and creates some pretty bad graining in the faster sections, so if you guys have any tips on how to avoid that I'd love to hear them. Other than that, I'm really happy with how it turned out! Definitely recommend it.
Cool video. How have you mounted your Garmin on the bars? I tried cutting out and old bar pad and making a cover out of clear vinyl but it reflects the sun too much to see the Garmin's display. Yours looks nice and seems well secured.

Cheers
Simon
JeffWalker841
10/21/2018 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2018 2:49pm
Cool video. How have you mounted your Garmin on the bars? I tried cutting out and old bar pad and making a cover out of clear...
Cool video. How have you mounted your Garmin on the bars? I tried cutting out and old bar pad and making a cover out of clear vinyl but it reflects the sun too much to see the Garmin's display. Yours looks nice and seems well secured.

Cheers
Simon
I used the standard twist-mount for bicycle handlebars that came with the garmin. It's held onto the bars with two thick rubber bands that wrap around the backside.
I was thinking about using an out-front mount like I use on my road bike/mountain bike so that I wouldn't have to mutilate my bar pad, but I feel like its a little safer nestled inside my bar pad instead of hanging out infront of it.
10/21/2018 8:05pm
I used the standard twist-mount for bicycle handlebars that came with the garmin. It's held onto the bars with two thick rubber bands that wrap around...
I used the standard twist-mount for bicycle handlebars that came with the garmin. It's held onto the bars with two thick rubber bands that wrap around the backside.
I was thinking about using an out-front mount like I use on my road bike/mountain bike so that I wouldn't have to mutilate my bar pad, but I feel like its a little safer nestled inside my bar pad instead of hanging out infront of it.
Ah cool, thanks. I have an old Edge 705 that I use to time MX laps and a new 520 like your that I use for cycling. I've smashed the screen on the 705 riding MX once already and don't fancy destroying my 520, so I use the 705. The 705 has a different mounting mechanism and slides in sideways but I think the mount could still work on my fat bars. Thanks again!

Cheers
Simon
make1go
10/22/2018 6:46am
make1go wrote:
reads like spam,

ive had all sorts of action cams and been able to get some very good footage..
Guess it all depends on your camera skill (of which I have very little) and what your perception of “very good footage” is. GoPro footage I’ve...
Guess it all depends on your camera skill (of which I have very little) and what your perception of “very good footage” is. GoPro footage I’ve gotten in the past has certainly been watchable, but nowhere near as cool and immersive as this. I would imagine getting footage from previous gopros to look that good and smooth would require a wearable gimbal and some editing which is more involved than I think most people want to get, myself included. In any case, I’m not sponsored by GoPro or anything. Just stoked on the new cam. So my apologies if it came off spamyHuh
fair enough, my appolgies for being dickwadish...?

theres no doubt youre getting great footage and the cam improvements shirly help..?

keep pumping them out!?

make1go
10/22/2018 6:57am
I used the standard twist-mount for bicycle handlebars that came with the garmin. It's held onto the bars with two thick rubber bands that wrap around...
i had the virb elite/801 combo, great when it worked.. got some great data overlay fully synced...sadly the garmin (garbagemin) stuff is far to brittle..im 5 from 5 garmin products that havent seen a reasonble life span for moderate controlled use..

shipping to taiwan is the only service available and they use sencond hand parts to fix broken units..

their forum is a litany of false promises and consumer issues..

sorry..ive spent a lot on that stuff in recent years..
crockett
10/22/2018 8:02am
I have a hard time believing some of those heart rates we see on tv during super cross and this vid only supports my case.
CHristian Craig and a few other riders always have their heart rate showing at least 180+ and above 200.. during super cross..
This guy is ripping on a sand track and not breaking 170.
JeffWalker841
10/22/2018 9:09am
crockett wrote:
I have a hard time believing some of those heart rates we see on tv during super cross and this vid only supports my case. CHristian...
I have a hard time believing some of those heart rates we see on tv during super cross and this vid only supports my case.
CHristian Craig and a few other riders always have their heart rate showing at least 180+ and above 200.. during super cross..
There are a lot of factors at play with heart rate, the main one being that heart rate is extremely personal. I tend to run a much lower heart rate than most people that I’ve trained with, whether that’s on a dirt bike or a bicycle. It doesn’t necessarily mean I’m in better or worse shape than them, everyone’s heart is just unique and have different max rates, resting rates, and working ranges. When I was staying at a training facility in Georgia, everyone used to think I wasn’t trying during the motos because my heart rate was so much lower than most of theirs, even though I was going all-out.

Another reason is that I’m just out there by myself, and no matter how hard I feel like I’m pushing, I’m still not pushing as hard as I would be if someone of similar speed was right behind or in front of me. Last year I did a bit of training with RJ Hampshire, and just having him out on the track with me rose my average heart rate by 10-15 beats per minute for a moto because I was pushing that much harder.

Finally, this video was only the last couple minutes of a fairly long moto (20-25 minutes), so I was only riding 80% (besides the first lap when I was trying to show offTongue )
10/22/2018 3:33pm
I actually rigged up my own using a spare Bell Moto 9 mouthpiece, a standard GoPro mount, and some JB Weld (for those extra hard over-jumps)...
I actually rigged up my own using a spare Bell Moto 9 mouthpiece, a standard GoPro mount, and some JB Weld (for those extra hard over-jumps). I considered getting a pre-made one with straps that wrap around the jaw of the helmet, but I was worried that it would rub through the paint. The mouthpiece mount is also great because when I'm done using the GoPro, it takes 10 seconds to swap out the mouthpiece back to normal. I always hated having a vacant GoPro mount stuck to the top of my helmets.

Pics for reference (the JB Weld job could have been prettier):

Jeff do yourself a favour and ditch that thumbscrew and get a Schierconcepts clamp. The guy who owns the company is the brother of Chad Reeds current mechanic at JGR.
http://www.schierconcepts.com
dirtmike86
10/22/2018 4:28pm
I played it on mute and imagined 2 stroke sounds instead. Jk nice video. That track looks like so much fun.
Lynch
10/22/2018 10:35pm
crockett wrote:
I have a hard time believing some of those heart rates we see on tv during super cross and this vid only supports my case. CHristian...
My max was 214 during my tests at the start of this year, usually around 200-210 while riding hard 30 minute motos. Whistling
JeffWalker841
10/23/2018 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2018 7:15pm
Ah cool, thanks. I have an old Edge 705 that I use to time MX laps and a new 520 like your that I use for...
Ah cool, thanks. I have an old Edge 705 that I use to time MX laps and a new 520 like your that I use for cycling. I've smashed the screen on the 705 riding MX once already and don't fancy destroying my 520, so I use the 705. The 705 has a different mounting mechanism and slides in sideways but I think the mount could still work on my fat bars. Thanks again!

Cheers
Simon
Highly recommend picking up a silicone case and a few plastic/glass screen protectors for any device that you plan on using on the dirt scoot! Super cheap and easy to put on. Might not save it from a horrific crash, but when the screen gets pock-marked and scratched from roost, I just swap a fresh screen protector on and it looks brand new again. Same goes for the GoPro screen/lens. Now that GoPro ditched the clear case that covers the lens, I was really afraid of roost scratching it so I picked up a few glass protectors for that too. So far so good! doesn’t seem to affect the video quality at all

Post a reply to: New GoPro Hero 7 is pretty dang good for moto

The Latest