New GoPro Hero 7 is pretty dang good for moto

JeffWalker841
Edited Date/Time 10/23/2018 7:15pm
Hey guys, first post for me on here. I hear VitalMX is a warm and inviting place with zero tolerance for hostilityWink

Anyways, I recently picked up the new GoPro Hero 7: Black edition and took it to some local SW Florida tracks last weekend, and I've gotta say I'm pretty dang impressed with it. I've tried out some friends' GoPros in the past and the footage consistently turns out like garbage, so I didn't have my expectations super high. Happy to report that it blew my expectations out of the water! Figured I'd share it with you guys incase anyone was thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

GoPro mounted on my mouthpiece. Shot in 2.7k 30fps in Superview with Hypersmooth enabled:
https://youtu.be/SC_yypnhZBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_yypnhZBA&t=11s

I've noticed youtube really murders the quality of the video after uploading and creates some pretty bad graining in the faster sections, so if you guys have any tips on how to avoid that I'd love to hear them. Other than that, I'm really happy with how it turned out! Definitely recommend it.
|
10/16/2018 5:14pm
According to YouTube every no talent Spode D rider has one of these GoPros? Why
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/16/2018 5:15pm
That's as fast as you can go?
Neverclear
10/16/2018 5:43pm
According to YouTube every no talent Spode D rider has one of these GoPros? Why
My kid has a 3 & I run a 5 just to edit together highlights of our ride days together. He is mid 20's now so those days get fewer each year, so I'm glad we have those memories. I was a bit pissed when the 6 came out 2 months after I paid $400 for the 5 Black tho.

I can bump myself from Vet Class spode to B Class hero via editing speed. That's worth the investment alone.

OP- Great video. Love that lower helmet mount & need to look into that...

The Shop

scootch
10/16/2018 5:48pm
That’s badass. Is that litpro data being displayed? Track position, mph, bpm...
JeffWalker841
10/16/2018 5:53pm
scootch wrote:
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart rate data as well, so I paired my GoPro with the Garmin 520 cycling computer that you can see mounted on my bars. I wear an external heart rate strap which pairs to the Garmin. Kind of a hassle, but it’s pretty cool to see the data on screen.
PJ205
10/16/2018 6:30pm
Nice riding! Subscribed.

Agreed on the Hero 7! I like mine for mountain biking so much that I decided to sell off my gimbal. Battery life isn't too great, but I am more than willing to tolerate having some extra batteries in my pocket for the convenience.
Tbteam
10/16/2018 7:13pm
Youtube is throwing error messages when I try to watch.
holyroller1
Fantasy
350th
10/16/2018 7:14pm
Tbteam wrote:
Youtube is throwing error messages when I try to watch.
FYI, youtube is down worldwide.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
10/16/2018 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 9:29pm
My Hero 7 Black is pissing me off because I can’t get the fucking thing to live stream. I’ve gotten it to connect one time for about 30 seconds, and never again has it connected.

Aside from that, it’s awesome! Excellent picture quality and the stabilization is crazy good for being electronic!
10/16/2018 8:34pm
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using any type of case or housing?
KGAspeed
10/16/2018 8:52pm
That track looks awesome - love riding sand. Great footage.
jeffro503
10/16/2018 9:07pm
scootch wrote:
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart...
Thanks! The GoPro itself actually has a GPS built in, so it will track your speed and position when in GPS mode. I wanted the heart rate data as well, so I paired my GoPro with the Garmin 520 cycling computer that you can see mounted on my bars. I wear an external heart rate strap which pairs to the Garmin. Kind of a hassle, but it’s pretty cool to see the data on screen.
Jesus! I knew I liked your name the second I saw this thread! Smile

Freakin' rippin' bro , and thanks for posting that. A lot of confidence hitting corners in the sand that fast , and pretty damn badass to watch!
10/16/2018 9:46pm
T-Fish wrote:
My Hero 7 Black is pissing me off because I can’t get the fucking thing to live stream. I’ve gotten it to connect one time for...
My Hero 7 Black is pissing me off because I can’t get the fucking thing to live stream. I’ve gotten it to connect one time for about 30 seconds, and never again has it connected.

Aside from that, it’s awesome! Excellent picture quality and the stabilization is crazy good for being electronic!
I’m pretty bummed to hear this about shooting Live because this is just about the only reason I can’t wait for mine to come in the mail! I love my Hero session 5 but uploading just takes so long without a computer and going straight on to GoPro plus. I am really looking forward to being about to shoot live videos with it!! I’m sure GoPro will have a update to fix the live connection problems soon. I sure hope so at least!!
tobz
10/16/2018 10:33pm
Really cool footage, great angle from the mouthpiece aswell.

For better quality uploads try Vimeo.

I'd like to see a video of the same track but with the smoothing and all that jazz turned off.

When go pro were adding a stabilizing affect to their supercross hot lap and racing helmet cam stuff over the last couple of years, it really annoyed me because it just seemed like the bike was floating around the track, over the whoops the camera wouldn't move one bit. It took away from the immersiveness.

From your footage, The GoPro 7 seems to address it by adding smoothness, but keeping it real enough to actually make it still look like your riding rough terrain. But i'd still like to see a video with hypersmooth, etc, disabled Smile

7GP
10/17/2018 12:06am
Now that was fun to watch! Thanks for posting!
tek14
10/17/2018 12:17am
That track is awesome!
How it was mounted on helmet?
mxr1der34
10/17/2018 12:19am
What model mouthpiece mount are you using?
JeffWalker841
10/17/2018 5:22am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 5:24am
mxr1der34 wrote:
What model mouthpiece mount are you using?
I actually rigged up my own using a spare Bell Moto 9 mouthpiece, a standard GoPro mount, and some JB Weld (for those extra hard over-jumps). I considered getting a pre-made one with straps that wrap around the jaw of the helmet, but I was worried that it would rub through the paint. The mouthpiece mount is also great because when I'm done using the GoPro, it takes 10 seconds to swap out the mouthpiece back to normal. I always hated having a vacant GoPro mount stuck to the top of my helmets.

Pics for reference (the JB Weld job could have been prettier):

Donovan759
10/17/2018 5:31am
Wow man.. You're really hauling ass. The video quality is awesome.
#RZRNick
10/17/2018 5:54am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 5:55am
I think the mounting position was really good, I noticed Windham did it once, seems like it works well for someone of your height. I've read scattered reviews on the 7, I have the 6, and it's very smooth on my RZR, but this is impressive without a gimbal! I started a YT channel this year and experimented with many of the setting, I like 1080 at 120 fps to reduce the grainy high speed issues, and like you said, it's always hard with YouTube compressing it.

I think the higher frame rate reduces it, and then you have the option to do some slo-mo.

Thanks for posting.
10/17/2018 7:09am
I like it. I believe I’ve seen a video clip of you riding at Terry Sullivan’s up here in MI before. Maybe get some GoPro of that if you go again? I’m moving out of town next week and need to live vicariously through someone.
JeffWalker841
10/17/2018 7:17am
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using...
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using any type of case or housing?
I don't have a case for it at the moment, so the sound you're hearing is straight out of the box. I've heard of people buying those little fake mustaches from party stores and cutting a small circle out of them to stick over GoPro microphones which supposedly reduces wind noise a lot. Might be worth trying out! Alternatively, I know some companies sell foam "socks" that slip over the entire gopro that also reduces wind noise. I've never used one though.

10/17/2018 9:12am
I was thinking about picking one up tomorrow, seems like theres very little wind noise, which is terrible on my Hero 3+ black. Are you using...
I don't have a case for it at the moment, so the sound you're hearing is straight out of the box. I've heard of people buying...
I don't have a case for it at the moment, so the sound you're hearing is straight out of the box. I've heard of people buying those little fake mustaches from party stores and cutting a small circle out of them to stick over GoPro microphones which supposedly reduces wind noise a lot. Might be worth trying out! Alternatively, I know some companies sell foam "socks" that slip over the entire gopro that also reduces wind noise. I've never used one though.

Awesome, I'll most likely be swinging by Best Buy after work today to pick mine up. I usually get the gopro clear case just because I like to keep my stuff extra protected. I'll be going on a cruise next week also and I like to use it for snorkeling and stuff.
make1go
10/17/2018 9:43am
reads like spam,

ive had all sorts of action cams and been able to get some very good footage..
make1go
10/17/2018 9:44am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 9:45am
dbl pst
KW62
10/17/2018 10:02am
Sick vid Jeff! Always like watching you rip around the practice tracks in the area!
JeffWalker841
10/17/2018 10:11am
make1go wrote:
reads like spam,

ive had all sorts of action cams and been able to get some very good footage..
Guess it all depends on your camera skill (of which I have very little) and what your perception of “very good footage” is. GoPro footage I’ve gotten in the past has certainly been watchable, but nowhere near as cool and immersive as this. I would imagine getting footage from previous gopros to look that good and smooth would require a wearable gimbal and some editing which is more involved than I think most people want to get, myself included. In any case, I’m not sponsored by GoPro or anything. Just stoked on the new cam. So my apologies if it came off spamyHuh

Post a reply to: New GoPro Hero 7 is pretty dang good for moto

The Latest