New Format

bball35
1/8/2018 7:40am
I want to know from people in the stadium if it seemed dragged out.
gt80rider
1/8/2018 7:56am
GTCD15317 wrote:
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill...
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill. Made for a very boring televison viewing experience.
That was my sentiment as well. Less racing, more commercials.

Speaking of commercials, race day live is absolutely unwatchable any more. Might as well watch the timing feed, would see almost the same amount of bikes on track....
GTCD15317
1/8/2018 8:35am
I get that racing is the product that Feld sells, And advertising pays for that, but people don't tune in / go to the races for the advertising.... I don't know exactly what they have to do, but they swung and missed this year. thank God for DVR's.
jbomx363
1/8/2018 8:49am
Watching live is pure shit Record and watch on Sunday from now on.

Less racing sucks, period. There is ALWAYS action in any race.

The Shop

TDeath21
1/8/2018 8:55am
If I were to guess, I’d say that the powers that be wanted to ensure the track stays in better condition toward the end of the night with the new timed races. Therefore, cutting out semis and allowing more track maintenance was necessary. This obviously also allows a lot of advertising time on the broadcast also.
MX558
1/8/2018 9:07am
GTCD15317 wrote:
I read somewhere that FELD did a study, and removed Semis because people watching on TV 1 : loose interest, and 2: only want to see...
I read somewhere that FELD did a study, and removed Semis because people watching on TV 1 : loose interest, and 2: only want to see the Stars of the sport so they change the channel or don't watch the later it gets.....(seems ass backwards, i know) so they made the program unbearably boring in return and full of fluff....it did seem like the racing segments flew by, and before you knew it, it was make up ans mud time... just needs to be a 2hrs show/package, pretty simple.
mx196 wrote:
Bingo. The passing by fan will in return get bored during those "fluff," segments, rather than the semi's. I don't mind the stretch in between, its...
Bingo.
The passing by fan will in return get bored during those "fluff," segments, rather than the semi's. I don't mind the stretch in between, its easy to pass that time with MadSkills and Yuengling.
I've been a fan for over 40 years and I got bored with all the down time . They need to shorten it to 2 hrs.
Johnny Depp
1/8/2018 9:33am
Getting rid of the semi's, as they were previously, was a good move. Too much boring racing that doesn't matter.

Now they need to clip the LCQ next. At A1 both of the 10th place finishers from the heats advanced through the lcq (as expected). Bisceglia advanced after a DNS in the Heat? WTF? The only intrigue was Bowers making the main. What a waste of everyone's time. I don't want top rider's seeded into the main either. Race your way in, no "Mulligan" races for anyone. If you're out you're out. There is too much consistency in results, so having sudden death elimination would open it up some.

Shorten the show.

The triple crown is almost the right idea. Now the top 22 will race 3 times. The top 44 should get to have a chance.
Phantom 661
1/8/2018 10:15am
Like many, I tune out during commercials. I'm looking right at the screen but rarely remember what's being advertised afterward. Last Saturday night, I started becoming aware of how much I was "tuning out" so to speak. I normally DVR the race and start watching an 30 min to an hour through to skip as much ads and fluff as I can. But this was A1 so I tuned in from the beginning only to realize how much I was tuning out waiting for actual racing to get underway. The best solution I know for fans like me who watch this sport on television is a
Digital.... Video... Recorder. Tune out problem gone!
philG
1/8/2018 10:29am
The semi's give another bunch of guys some track exposure for their sponsors.... if you are not on board with that, just pick 25 guys at the start of the season and tell the others not to bother wasting their hard earned cash for zero exposure.

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
1/8/2018 10:44am
Getting rid of the semi's, as they were previously, was a good move. Too much boring racing that doesn't matter. Now they need to clip the...
Getting rid of the semi's, as they were previously, was a good move. Too much boring racing that doesn't matter.

Now they need to clip the LCQ next. At A1 both of the 10th place finishers from the heats advanced through the lcq (as expected). Bisceglia advanced after a DNS in the Heat? WTF? The only intrigue was Bowers making the main. What a waste of everyone's time. I don't want top rider's seeded into the main either. Race your way in, no "Mulligan" races for anyone. If you're out you're out. There is too much consistency in results, so having sudden death elimination would open it up some.

Shorten the show.

The triple crown is almost the right idea. Now the top 22 will race 3 times. The top 44 should get to have a chance.
Why do you hate racing??
TeamGreen
1/8/2018 10:49am
Faster moving program and we had what appeared to be a more competitive Main.
Johnny Depp
1/8/2018 10:52am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 10:53am
Getting rid of the semi's, as they were previously, was a good move. Too much boring racing that doesn't matter. Now they need to clip the...

Shorten the show.

disbanded wrote:
Why do you hate racing??
I like racing, not some pointless exhibition qualifier to see who will finish last in the main.
mx617
1/8/2018 11:08am
I said it before, the reason people tuned out between the heats and mains was too much fluff, not just because semis "don't matter". Now they've gone and made the problem ten times worse. Seems to be getting worse on RDL to. They ued to skip the C practices only, now they barely showed any of the B guys either.
GTCD15317
1/8/2018 11:10am
The real question is, are we going to have to see the dinosaur/monster thing explaining the new format every week for the next 16 weeks?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/8/2018 12:55pm
I look at it like this...

Before, a good portion of the top guys generally qualified out of the heat races. Then they sit on the sidelines, while the next tier guys go out, wear themselves down, and boost their exposure to injury...for a race that doesn't mean anything.

They extended race times to try and match what they were doing before. I think it's a win-win.
Johnny Depp
1/8/2018 1:00pm
GuyB wrote:
I look at it like this... Before, a good portion of the top guys generally qualified out of the heat races. Then they sit on the...
I look at it like this...

Before, a good portion of the top guys generally qualified out of the heat races. Then they sit on the sidelines, while the next tier guys go out, wear themselves down, and boost their exposure to injury...for a race that doesn't mean anything.

They extended race times to try and match what they were doing before. I think it's a win-win.
Exactly, take the guy that already has almost no chance, wear him out 1st, then send him to the dogs.
1/8/2018 1:19pm
bball35 wrote:
I want to know from people in the stadium if it seemed dragged out.
It actually flowed very nicely in my opinion. I didn't once feel like we were sitting around waiting too long. The heats and LCQ being a minute longer each was nice.

The rider intros were much shorter this year than last year. This year they introduced seemingly half the amount of riders that they did last year, and the riders road around for much less time this year.

Before heat 1 of the 250s, the announcer named off every single guy on the starting gate along with their sponsors. That was a bit drawn out.

Heat 2 of the 250s, the announcer began naming off every rider again, but was cut short.

I beleive after heat 2 of the 250s, the track crew went out and did maintenance real quick to clean up a few corners.

Heat 1 of the 450s lined up prompty after heat 2 of the 450s. Same with Heat 2.

After the heats, they did track maintenance and some Toyota fan event on the track. I actually enjoyed watching the track crew reshape some of the sections (they mainly focused on smoothing out turn 1, turn 2, turn 4, and a touching up a few other sections.)

LCQ's were fun to watch.

Main's started right after the LCQ's pretty much.
NJKawi913
1/8/2018 1:28pm
i could not agree more with the B.S filler TV they are putting in the place of racing. The broadcast was already painful to watch and now is even worse.

1. Im tired of Ralph and Jeff pulling words out of their ass to try and dumb down the sport

2. Ricky's track segments revolve around him standing near whoops bigger than him saying "the key to tonight is who can get through the whoops faster"

3. What is this garbage Juliana Daniel "Social Media Reporter??"

4. Lastly the overall timing of when they cut to segments must of been controlled by a toddler
1/8/2018 1:50pm
My thoughts right after I watched it all, and I had to sit and wait most of Sunday refreshing Slicknick610's Twitter account for a download link, (Thank you so much for all you do for us Nick!) was :

What, its finished?, shit....oh man.

So, for me I was really excited to watch it all and I am very grateful for everything involved and everyone, but it's less racing to watch, and I like racing!.

JB 19
1/8/2018 1:56pm
You guys watch this stuff live? No way I could do it. Try recording a football game. You can watch it in about 30 minutes if you speed through the play clock and watch the actual play. No halftime talking heads, commercials, 5 minute pay reviews, etc.
gym_jackets
1/8/2018 2:13pm
Honestly, should be 4 minute heats, 3 minute LCQs, and then 2 mains for each class, 15 minutes each. Less time between races, probably around 100 minutes of actual racing. Shorter, more chaotic heats resulting in more big names going to LCQs. Less racing that is only considered "qualifying". Still probably 60-70 minutes worth of fluff and commercials in a 180 minute program.
GTCD15317
1/8/2018 2:20pm
I DVR it, and usually wait 30 - 45 min to start watching, but it was A1 so I went full on live.... obviously it wasn't up to par.
peelout
1/8/2018 2:50pm
the semi races were a good time to get up, take a piss, play some rocketleague, order a pizza and grab another beer.

now the filler they put between the LCQ and the main serve the same purpose.

could care less, bros
snackfedbear
1/8/2018 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 5:28pm
have less spots straight to main and add an extra heat for both classes and problem solved. plus there would be more opportunities for privateers to make it to the night show
rrdecals
1/8/2018 9:52pm
Bad for any sponsor helping anyone below 3rd place.
Bad for viewers sitting there with their thumb up their ass.
Bad for riders that need to attract sponsors.
I'm not sure what goes on during the off season but to much thinking leads to dumb decisions.
rhysthomas
1/9/2018 12:46am
slowgti wrote:
I just did the math on the total race times. 450: 42:08 250: 36:00 Total time: 1 hour 18 minutes and 8 seconds. That's a lot...
I just did the math on the total race times.

450: 42:08
250: 36:00

Total time: 1 hour 18 minutes and 8 seconds.

That's a lot of filler
also 42 minutes of commercials
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
1/9/2018 3:34am
Semi's were lame.
abn166 wrote:
Not having them is even lamer. Less racing for your money if you are buying tickets.
philG wrote:
I had to laugh when they put a ticker on the side of the screen saying '15mins till Dungey' and then '35 mins to Roczen Story'...
I had to laugh when they put a ticker on the side of the screen saying '15mins till Dungey' and then '35 mins to Roczen Story'... what kind of TV is that FFS... it BLOWS.

And Julianna Daniel, please , just please stop. I dont care , about social media, nobody does.

And the logic behind dropping the semi's .. guys will race hard to make it straight to the main, now guys will go back to cruising round rather than risk having to go to the LCQ.. field isnt deep enough .

I dread to think what the fill ins will be like... #makeuptomud.. WTF was that .

And while i am on one , WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A CARTOON CAT EXPLAINING THE POINTS..... WE DO NOT HAVE A TARGET AUDIENCE OF PRE-SCHOOLERS.

Diabolical .. utter shite for prime time saturday night, and even worse if you are watching live in the UK at 3am.
Exactly. I didn't think anything could be more pain full to watch than the social media shit, but then the cartoon monster shows up to explain the rules and it is just fucking embarrassing. Who okay'ed that?

How can you have the Roczen arm story on the same show as a cartoon monster used to explain the rule changes (which coincidentally, is clearly the voice of one of the broadcasters)? I think it makes the rules more confusing to a non-regular viewer when delivered in a way were the viewer is first trying to figure out what the fuck they are looking at, rather than what is being said. Amateur at best.

level
1/9/2018 10:15am
You have to dvr sports like football and super cross or it just takes way too long. I never watch live.

Post a reply to: New Format

The Latest