New Dirt Bike Company in 2023 by Robby Gordon (Speed)

9/19/2022 10:37am
McG194 wrote:
I love the comments that the Chinese cannot compete with the technology of other makers. Most people are typing that on a high tech wonder tool...
I love the comments that the Chinese cannot compete with the technology of other makers. Most people are typing that on a high tech wonder tool made in China.
I don't think anybody is saying they can't.

Just like nobody is saying Suzuki can't design an electric start.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
9/19/2022 10:38am
This Robby Gordon guy seems like he’ll slap his name on anything just to make a buck
DonM
9/19/2022 11:32am
Aloe wrote:
And of course OP is fanboying over someone most of us have never heard of, from outside the mx industry, all the while posting pics of...
And of course OP is fanboying over someone most of us have never heard of, from outside the mx industry, all the while posting pics of a new generation Kayo. Congratulations sir, you have ruined this website
UGOTBIT wrote:
Why don't you rub some aloe on your butt hole, because it's obvious you are butt hurt about something
Aloe wrote:
I am a plant. We do not defecate
I just can’t put my finger on it….but….yeah I’m sure this is a quieter return…..
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
9/19/2022 12:07pm
c91x wrote:
Wasn't he supposed to have those Speed UTV's out in 2020?
Yea. He was supposed to deliver 20 cars or something at last years sand sport show. One year later and he breaks one of his display cars at the sand sport show, still zero cars delivered. Everyone that put down a deposit is PISSED and wants there money back. Then he releases a china bike and is saying he's going to be a player in the dirt bike industry. I loved robby growing up, he was badass in a truck, but he's lost it nowadays.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/19/2022 12:28pm
McG194 wrote:
I love the comments that the Chinese cannot compete with the technology of other makers. Most people are typing that on a high tech wonder tool...
I love the comments that the Chinese cannot compete with the technology of other makers. Most people are typing that on a high tech wonder tool made in China.
I have never seen an automobile or motorcycle that was built in China, that isn’t junk.
I have no doubt that “IF” they committed to producing a quality vehicle or motorcycle, that it’s possible. But they have not shown that they want to.
[YM]
Fantasy
2088th
9/19/2022 12:33pm
McG194 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I have never seen an automobile or motorcycle that was built in China, that isn’t junk. I have no doubt that “IF” they committed to producing...
I have never seen an automobile or motorcycle that was built in China, that isn’t junk.
I have no doubt that “IF” they committed to producing a quality vehicle or motorcycle, that it’s possible. But they have not shown that they want to.
Does Taiwan count?
9/19/2022 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 12:56pm
McG194 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
I have never seen an automobile or motorcycle that was built in China, that isn’t junk. I have no doubt that “IF” they committed to producing...
Honda Crf-fs, Yamaha TTRs are quality bikes, if not high performance, and are built in China.
KONG
9/19/2022 12:45pm
These days, you can get a brand new full copy of an austrian 300 2 stroke (engine included) for 4000$ before shipping and taxes.
I'm pretty sure it would be quite enough for a lot of guys - if it holds together.

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
9/19/2022 1:10pm
bh84 wrote:
Fun story, Robby nearly ran my skinny ass over while I was broken down at the side of the trail at the 2014 Baja 500. Didn't...
Fun story, Robby nearly ran my skinny ass over while I was broken down at the side of the trail at the 2014 Baja 500. Didn't lift even a little bit on his way by, then again, neither did Menzies or Baldwin
You are lucky you’re alive! I’ve never seen a trophy truck driver give two shits about anyone or anything in their way. Those guys are nuts!
9/19/2022 1:33pm
Alot of people threw down money for his utv, then he went around asking those people for more cash a couple years ago. Id be pissed to.
He bought a building in Lake Havasu, AZ to build these cars but idk if thats happening anymore.
I live 5 mins from Robby, compared to his new car i thought this version looked way better.
I believe he was working along side Polaris to make these 1000cc turbos, obviously not the case anymore.

9/19/2022 1:58pm
Alot of people threw down money for his utv, then he went around asking those people for more cash a couple years ago. Id be pissed...
Alot of people threw down money for his utv, then he went around asking those people for more cash a couple years ago. Id be pissed to.
He bought a building in Lake Havasu, AZ to build these cars but idk if thats happening anymore.
I live 5 mins from Robby, compared to his new car i thought this version looked way better.
I believe he was working along side Polaris to make these 1000cc turbos, obviously not the case anymore.

The Wildcat is such a nice machine! I know Robby played an integral role in the development of the first RZR so he’s definitely a smart guy but I wonder what constituted him wanting to enter the marketplace. For the most part, it’s saturated and Polaris and Canam dominate it!
9/19/2022 2:42pm
Alot of people threw down money for his utv, then he went around asking those people for more cash a couple years ago. Id be pissed...

The Wildcat is such a nice machine! I know Robby played an integral role in the development of the first RZR so he’s definitely a smart...
The Wildcat is such a nice machine! I know Robby played an integral role in the development of the first RZR so he’s definitely a smart guy but I wonder what constituted him wanting to enter the marketplace. For the most part, it’s saturated and Polaris and Canam dominate it!
I have a Wildcat XX and have been following the videos that Robby has been putting out on his new Speed SXS's for a while now. He had a deal with Textron ( the company that owns Arctic Cat) to help develop (3) SXS's . the base XX a turbo version and 4 seat version. Textron really screwed up the dealer network by reducing the number of dealers, and selling the same SXS/ATV's at Bas Pro shops for less money. They have all but killed an amazing SXS by all the bad decissions they have made. They had a chance to have an amazing line up with a Turbo XX and 4 seater. But Textron said there is not a market for the bigger faster SXS's. So they came out with the XX and then never developed the rest of the SXS's . Robby and Textron were fighting in court over something to do with that deal. The Speed SXS started off as pretty much what Textron was going to sell, the 4 seat XX and a turbo 4 seat version. But he ended up developing his own engine and transaxle,shocks, etc. . From watching all of his videos on the Speed SXS , I can see he really believes in the SXS he has built and wants to prove the companies wrong that told him the cars wouldn't sell , and build better SXS's than the compaines he was working with. Maybe it started out as a way to try and get Textron to let him finish developing the 4 seat version and Turbo. But then he saw how he could turn it into something more. Most people would be amazed with what vehicles and stuff has stuff from China in them. China can make quality items when you ask for them.I have not been watching the current stuff on the Speed SXS , it started to become small improvements and not as interesting to me as a person who is not buying a speed SXS. The frontend on his SXS is pretty inovative. And You can see that a racer helped develop the XX when you are working on it. Suspension parts that fit both sides so you carry 1 spare and it works on both sides, the engine and transaxle drop out from under and stay attached to a subframe. The XX is one of the first SXS's that is built strong enough to handle crashing at the speeds they can run. Its one of the few stock cages that you can race with with some minor mods. ( welding it together instead of the stock bolts) Other sport SXS's have more of a roof holder than a real roll cage. It has been cool to see him develop the Speed SXS out in the public and let people see stuff as it comes along. It sucks its taking a while. But I feel like anybody who knows their stuff about a performance vehicle and what it takes to build from the ground up, would know that it was unlikely to get it all together in the original timeframe. Maybe it would have been possible if not for Covid, but they ended up building a much better SXS. If it ever is delivered to customers and performs like it should, people will forget all about the delays, and where it comes from.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
9/19/2022 2:48pm
KONG wrote:
These days, you can get a brand new full copy of an austrian 300 2 stroke (engine included) for 4000$ before shipping and taxes. I'm pretty...
These days, you can get a brand new full copy of an austrian 300 2 stroke (engine included) for 4000$ before shipping and taxes.
I'm pretty sure it would be quite enough for a lot of guys - if it holds together.

for 4k you could find a beat yz250 on craigslist and have a more reliable fun bike.
mx295
9/19/2022 3:34pm

He partnered with Artic Cat several years ago.. those are them in your pic.
Gravel
9/19/2022 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 7:41pm
Whenever the future Chinese want to make a good copy of a dirt bike they absolutely could do it. But the fundamental difference between the Chinese now and the Japanese of the 60s is the Japanese were pushing engineering, innovation, refinement and just better designed products, not the cheapest possible things that kind of look like a good product, if it’s dark and you’re on your 4th drink.. AKA, at this point there’s just no comparison.

This GordonCycle looks like good money following bad money. Gordon is a racer, so put the production version of this thing on the start line. I’m betting it couldn’t finish a couple of hour long local GPs without a major failure.

No thanks..
Foobo
9/19/2022 5:37pm
soggy wrote:
It’s not that they can’t but there quality assurance and control and material quality is known to be less. It doesn’t matter if your phone has...
It’s not that they can’t but there quality assurance and control and material quality is known to be less. It doesn’t matter if your phone has some inferior aluminum or steel as part of its structure. Definitely matters with a dirtbike.
From my understanding, based on videos I’ve watched related to Chinese manufacturing of EV’s, the Chinese machining clearances have now become tighter than American and even European manufacturing processes. The Chinese are now, at least from a pure machining/manufacturing perspective, able to produce a better quality product than Euros or Japanese.

As we can see in the photos above, the Chinese are already able to produce an aesthetically acceptable dirt bike, albeit with stolen IP. Its honestly surprising you’re not already seeing full blown 100% copied 4 stroke engines. I think its just a matter of time until the Chinese are able to produce an equivalent motorcycle, for a cheaper price, and possibly with higher quality starting materials (CNC vs cast).

I think the Chinese are setting themselves up to really takeover the automotive and motorcycle industry in the coming years. It could be good for some of us consumers who don’t have brand loyalty and are more interested in cheap parts. After one of these models is copied enough to run equivalently, the design of parts will probably be changed just enough to pass customs trademark testing and eventually flood US and euro markets.

If I was the kid from Loretta’s who had the opportunity to claim the factory yamaha, I would have boxed every single part up and packed it into a suitcase and taken it to an aspiring Chinese moto manufacturer. I would have said here you go, cut me in on the profits after we replicate every single part inside this engine and then slightly change the exterior casings so that it doesn’t look similar enough to get sued after we import it to the US
adams189
9/19/2022 6:45pm
UGOTBIT wrote:
KTM frame?

I thought I heard about some scandal he was involved with the buggies/sand rails he's selling?
langhammx wrote:
Looking like a Chinese bike to me.
Look at his track record with the Speed UTV… not good!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/19/2022 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 7:17pm
adams189 wrote:
Look at his track record with the Speed UTV… not good!
I’ve semi followed his SXS deal. There are some very unhappy customers and rightfully so. It seems he bit of more than he was expecting with that venture. I’m sure they will be nice when they are ready. But the broken front end at the show and tell did t help the cause.
It looks like the bikes are more of a new “rebranding” sticker kit onto an existing Chinese dirt bike. It’s a play bike, but plan on working on it to keep it going. #NOTARACEBIKE
Racerx930
9/19/2022 8:14pm
I have a little more experience in the Chinese powersports industry than most. What most of the bigger importers have told me is they could be building motorcycles as good as the Japanese machines right now but they would cost just as much. They are of the mindset that no matter how good the machines are no one is going to pay the same price for a chinese motorcycle (I think we can all agree that they are right.)

I had a working relationship with SSR for many years. 10 years ago they brought their first 250 four stroke offroad bike over as a prototype. We test rode the thing for months and simply couldn't tear it up. It was a CRF250X "Copy" that felt like a yz426 and had the fit and finish of a tool store go kart. The engine was similar to a crf bottom end but had a KTM RFS style top end. It had its gremlins for sure but we absolutely couldn't tear it up.
ATKpilot99
9/20/2022 2:53am
Racerx930 wrote:
I have a little more experience in the Chinese powersports industry than most. What most of the bigger importers have told me is they could be...
I have a little more experience in the Chinese powersports industry than most. What most of the bigger importers have told me is they could be building motorcycles as good as the Japanese machines right now but they would cost just as much. They are of the mindset that no matter how good the machines are no one is going to pay the same price for a chinese motorcycle (I think we can all agree that they are right.)

I had a working relationship with SSR for many years. 10 years ago they brought their first 250 four stroke offroad bike over as a prototype. We test rode the thing for months and simply couldn't tear it up. It was a CRF250X "Copy" that felt like a yz426 and had the fit and finish of a tool store go kart. The engine was similar to a crf bottom end but had a KTM RFS style top end. It had its gremlins for sure but we absolutely couldn't tear it up.

Similar to this bike ?
SWMX
9/20/2022 4:12am
pre order and wait 2 1/2 years!! don’t bitch about that tho cause he’ll sell your pre order LOL
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
9/20/2022 6:10am
soggy wrote:
It’s not that they can’t but there quality assurance and control and material quality is known to be less. It doesn’t matter if your phone has...
It’s not that they can’t but there quality assurance and control and material quality is known to be less. It doesn’t matter if your phone has some inferior aluminum or steel as part of its structure. Definitely matters with a dirtbike.
Foobo wrote:
From my understanding, based on videos I’ve watched related to Chinese manufacturing of EV’s, the Chinese machining clearances have now become tighter than American and even...
From my understanding, based on videos I’ve watched related to Chinese manufacturing of EV’s, the Chinese machining clearances have now become tighter than American and even European manufacturing processes. The Chinese are now, at least from a pure machining/manufacturing perspective, able to produce a better quality product than Euros or Japanese.

As we can see in the photos above, the Chinese are already able to produce an aesthetically acceptable dirt bike, albeit with stolen IP. Its honestly surprising you’re not already seeing full blown 100% copied 4 stroke engines. I think its just a matter of time until the Chinese are able to produce an equivalent motorcycle, for a cheaper price, and possibly with higher quality starting materials (CNC vs cast).

I think the Chinese are setting themselves up to really takeover the automotive and motorcycle industry in the coming years. It could be good for some of us consumers who don’t have brand loyalty and are more interested in cheap parts. After one of these models is copied enough to run equivalently, the design of parts will probably be changed just enough to pass customs trademark testing and eventually flood US and euro markets.

If I was the kid from Loretta’s who had the opportunity to claim the factory yamaha, I would have boxed every single part up and packed it into a suitcase and taken it to an aspiring Chinese moto manufacturer. I would have said here you go, cut me in on the profits after we replicate every single part inside this engine and then slightly change the exterior casings so that it doesn’t look similar enough to get sued after we import it to the US
Hahahaha you can’t be serious with that idea.

Post a reply to: New Dirt Bike Company in 2023 by Robby Gordon (Speed)

The Latest