New Boots, can't decide which ones

Related:
Create New Tag

6/15/2020 11:26 AM

Just recently got back into the sport, been away for a long time.

I wanted to get a second pair of boots to keep at my lake house. I have miles of washed out logging roads at the property I hunt, dang near Sgl track which is just about right for my old man 2019 CRF250F.

Last year when I decided to get back into the sport I bought Gearne GX-1s. They are fine and thought i would buy something a notch up to keep at my house where I keep my YZ 250F. I ordered a pair of Tech 7's and they seem to fit but feel like moon boots compared to my Gearnes, even though the Gearne has a big toe box I can shift much better in the Gearnes. I've worked the Tech 7s by hand and they loosed up some, but still very moon boot like.

I can send the Tech 7's back. I think I will guy a pair of SIDI and Gearne SG 10 or Fastback and send back what I don't want. Even buying on line, not everybody has the color you want or size that fits.

I have a Cycle gear not far from me, but about the only thing they keep in stock are Tech 7's and lower end Fox. It would be nice if I could try some on, but not many options. We have a ton of Motocycle shops in the area but the ones I've been in carry a limited stock.

No more knowlagable than I am, its hard to know which ones to try. All I remember from back in my day are High Points. As much as I would like to go race with the old guys, I'm 64 and doubt that will ever happen, but do want to make sure I have good gear.

Guess I'll keep ordering till I find what I like.

|

6/15/2020 11:34 AM

Sounds like a plan!

|

6/15/2020 1:06 PM

My wife will be asking what are all those big boxes in the garage.....................on nothing Honey those are just big boxes I ordered so I can send boots back for credit...............!!!

|

6/15/2020 1:38 PM

try out a pair of O'neal RDX boots. i love mine. over the years i have had Alpinestars, Gaerne, Fox, and so far these are my favorite.

|

6/15/2020 1:44 PM

Fox Instinct for comfort. My favorite boot

|

6/15/2020 1:47 PM

Sidi

|

6/15/2020 2:39 PM

crusher773 wrote:

Sidi

I have a pair of Sidi X3's on order.

I noticed in your your pic, Coweta, Ok. I grew up in the big town of Ada, Oklahoma!!. I can't recall where Coweta is.

thanks, Billy

|

6/15/2020 2:44 PM

peelout wrote:

try out a pair of O'neal RDX boots. i love mine. over the years i have had Alpinestars, Gaerne, Fox, and so far these are my favorite.

Hadn't even thought about O'Neal, I looked at them on the website, they do look pretty good. I can get a pair of those on Amazon with my Amazon Prime thing by Friday and with price you get to ship back free as I recall.

Thanks Billy

|

6/15/2020 2:56 PM

peelout wrote:

wwdiii wrote:

Hadn't even thought about O'Neal, I looked at them on the website, they do look pretty good. I can get a pair of those on Amazon with my Amazon Prime thing by Friday and with price you get to ship back free as I recall.

Thanks Billy

Can get you a new pair shipped for $290

|

6/15/2020 3:17 PM

Had fox and astars now just bought some Leatt flexlock 5,5 and am in love didn’t even have to ride them in. Most comfortable boot I’ve ever put on my foot. Not a great range in colours but a great boot.

|

6/15/2020 3:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2020 3:34 PM

Not Tech 7's.

Bought mine just over a year ago, have 1 solid season on them.
Currently getting the soles replaced.

Not so annoyed soles are worn out, but between me shipping them to get re-soled and getting them back, i'm at nearly $200.

After this repair and me wearing them out, i'll be selling these off and buying something with screw in replaceable soles.

|

6/15/2020 4:09 PM

Belles says Gaernes 👍!

Photo

|

6/15/2020 4:32 PM

Jett

|

6/15/2020 5:00 PM

Sg12s only boot to buy will literally last forever soles wear out get them replaced

|

6/15/2020 7:07 PM

I went with O’Neal RDX as well. They seem very comfortable so far. FYI the red does rub off on white number plates.

Photo

|

6/15/2020 7:09 PM

Dirtydeeds wrote:

Belles says Gaernes 👍!

Photo

She's a cutie not doubt.

|

6/15/2020 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2020 7:16 PM

Photo

|

6/15/2020 7:15 PM

Photo
|

6/15/2020 7:20 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

I went with O’Neal RDX as well. They seem very comfortable so far. FYI the red does rub off on white number plates.

Photo

I bought a pair of Red RDX couple of hrs back on Amazon, my Honda is red and belive it or not, my YZ250F is red which is not easy to build a red Yamaha!!!.

We use Amazon Prime quite a bit and I had 67 dollars in points left and used them. If they don't work I get free shipping. Will get them at my lake house on Friday. Once I get my garage painted on Saturday and I decide to keep them I may head to the hunting property and hit the logging roads and pretend sgl track. My gut tells me I will like them.

After all the SG12 comments I might have spent a couple hundred extra. It wouldnt have changed my life style but the older I get the fugal I get.

I'll hold out on the SG12's till later in the year when I decide to sell my YZ250f and go RM-Z450 and have an excuse to go Yellow!!!

|

6/15/2020 8:23 PM

Gaerne SG10 or SG12.

|

6/15/2020 8:27 PM

There not common, but I would look into tcx evo 2. I love mine.

|

6/15/2020 9:00 PM

Sidi
I was a sg12 guy for life, I still think they look the best. But I tried out some sidis and never going back now. The toe box is slimmer so I know just where my feet controls are and I swear they make you ride more correctly on the balls of your feet for some reason

|

6/15/2020 9:02 PM

Sidi TA’s. Wide toe box and comfortable out of the box.

|

6/15/2020 9:04 PM

g taylor wrote:

Sidi TA’s. Wide toe box and comfortable out of the box.

Yes forgot to mention I run the TA’s also. Sidi x3

|

6/16/2020 10:40 AM

I too got back into MX/Off Road after a 25yr break and purchased all new gear as well. I ordered SG10's and some Tech 7's from RMATV since I could return whichever one I didn't want. Probably tried each pair on about 30 times trying to decide which I liked the best. The Tech 7's felt so comfortable right out of the box, and felt like I could probably shift easier with the narrower toe box, but that was about it.
The SG'10's didn't feel as comfy initially as the Tech 7's, but won out on everything else. They look and feel so much more durable than the 7's and they felt so much more planted on the pegs. Build quality was much better and looking at them side by side, the Alpine Stars almost look generic with than moon boot look you mentioned. A year later I couldn't be more happier with the decision to keep the SG10's!

|

6/16/2020 11:21 AM

No more A-Stars for me, last pair failed miserably...

Sidi from here on out... but those O'Neals look good!!

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

6/16/2020 11:40 AM

Was off the bike for 30 years and bought the SIDI X3. Has the feel of the old Hi Point boots plus has the sewn on sole and not the screw on stuff.

|

6/16/2020 2:13 PM

Went through 3 sets of Gaerne GX-1 before they "improved" them. Switched to the Sidi X-3 TA and they are pretty good. Comfortable right away, enough protection for my preferences, and lightweight.

|

6/16/2020 2:27 PM

I bought every brand, model and color of boot for each of my lake houses. I can’t tell which is the best because I’ve been so busy getting laid.

|

6/16/2020 2:38 PM

crowe176 wrote:

I bought every brand, model and color of boot for each of my lake houses. I can’t tell which is the best because I’ve been so busy getting laid.

Lmao

|