New Bike shootout format

Im tired of hearing the same old cookie cutter responses based off the principle of not pissing off manufactuers. Magazines are inviting novice riders. Why not have the general public review their opinions and have the magazines report them, good or bad. They can choose however they please, but at no fault for reporting facts. Every year the magazines tell you the list of cons that the manufacturer has addressed for their new models and finally spill the beans as to how much better the new fork, chassis, motor is compared to the year before. Oh really because I bought this hunk of S#%^ last year because your test rider who can feel a 1/4 oz of dirt on the fender said this fork was so much better than the last 10 pairs.
|
kkawboy14
2/3/2017 10:10am
How about both and then see how they compare? Pros vs B riders vs +35
kmp1219
2/3/2017 10:29am
Not just saying this because I'm on vital...and I don't know much about the guy... but as someone who's ridden a lot of dirt bikes over the years I tend to admire ML512's reviews. The dude took the African Twin on a damn moto turn track, ranked the yz250f 4th in the 250 shootout, and seems to be a solid rider. Sucks that 90% of "test ride" and "shoot out" rankings seem to be recycled from the year before in most cases. Is the guy writing the review even one of the riders? Most of the time he's not.

Most of the magazines write the same stuff every year about every bike. Suzuki is heavy and slow but corners well, Yamaha 450 is a 10 foot tall pig, Kawi's air forks are better than Suzuki but still not as good as springs, Honda 450 was down on power before 2017, Husky/KTM is superior, etc, etc.

We need more people in the moto industry who aren't afraid to have a different opinion than others. Right now everyone is afraid of pissing off a manufacturer, but why?
2/3/2017 10:32am
I say that MXA does a gearing shootout. Every bike gets tested with different gearing that way they know that it really should have one more tooth or not.
JAFO92
2/3/2017 10:48am

kmp1219 wrote: We need more people in the moto industry who aren't afraid to have a different opinion than others. Right now everyone is afraid of pissing off a manufacturer, but why?

The majority of MX/SX journalist will not speak out against the OEMs, Promoters, Teams/Riders, none of that. And they wont allow it on their websites either. They aren't gonna mess up a good thing and who keeps their wallet filled. And if you do? Remember TFS voicing his opinion years ago? The guy had huge balls for saying exactly what he thought and he paid the price for it, too. You fall in line and take your marching orders.

Just like Teef would always say, "Follow the money."

The Shop

kkawboy14
2/3/2017 10:53am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 10:53am
Other than the guy who asked the dumb question the other day, is there anyone called a "journalist" in moto, that isn't a "photographer" in moto? Or possessing some kind of journalism degree that isn't a photographer?

Post a reply to: New Bike shootout format

The Latest