New Bike and Dealer "Service"

O&GDriller
I'm curious about posts by members stating they base, or consider, a dealer's service department
capabilities when purchasing a "new" bike. I'm 59 and have been riding for 49 years. I've bought dozens of different colored new bikes over the years but have never considered the dealers service department when purchasing. I buy from the dealer who will get me the best deal out the door. PERIOD.

I've NEVER taken a bike to a dealer for service work in all my years. My brother and I have always done all our own work. When we were younger and didn't know how to rebuild or fix something we'd get help/advice from a friend or as a last resort go to the local guy who works out of his garage or small, unaffiliated repair shop.

Bottom line is I'm curious how many people actually take their bike to a dealer for service work AND why. I've heard many horror stories about how incompetent dealers are at servicing bikes AND their costs (i.e., parts and labor) are EXTREMELY expensive.

I do realize KTM and Husky owners will take their bikes for warranty work as it's free, but these are the only manufacturer that offers a WRITTEN warranty and this would justify taking back to the dealer for "free" warranty repair(s).

Am I missing something? I'm not trolling, I'm truly interested in why somebody would take a bike to a dealer for service work.
|
Bret
10/2/2019 1:45pm
For the same reason some people call plumbers, electricians or take their cars in for service; they either don't have the necessary skills/ability/tools or, they simply don't want to do it themselves.
Justin314
10/2/2019 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 1:53pm
I used to work for a dealer as a service writer. The reasons I’d see customers bring bikes in for service work either weren’t knowledgeable/comfortable enough to do it, didn’t have a specific tool and didn’t want to purchase one, didn’t have the time, or just didn’t feel like it.
Tenacious P
10/2/2019 1:54pm
My riding buddy takes his 3 KTM’s in annually for service. Check valves and what not. He’s a busy guy who works 10 hour days in finance. Its a time thing.

Right now my career is ramping up and taking more of my time which means I will now pay for any repair below the top end... begrudgingly.
kb228
10/2/2019 2:08pm
If i were buying a street bike i would consider the dealer.

For dirtbikes its not worth considering.

The Shop

kiwifan
10/2/2019 2:31pm
I think you would be surprised how many dealerships that deal with brands other than TM/Husky do an unwritten warranty....
Ingjr1
10/2/2019 2:35pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think you would be surprised how many dealerships that deal with brands other than TM/Husky do an unwritten warranty....
Your right I would be surprised. A "unwritten warranty" is as good as the paper it's NOT written on. Worthless.
kiwifan
10/2/2019 2:45pm
kiwifan wrote:
Ingjr1 wrote:
Your right I would be surprised. A "unwritten warranty" is as good as the paper it's NOT written on. Worthless.
Congratulations, you completely missed my point by turning it into something that I did NOT mean
O&GDriller
10/2/2019 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 3:10pm
kiwifan wrote:
No, I wouldn't be surprised. I've had MANY jap bikes and dealers have been able to get the OEM to help with a number of issues under an "unwritten" warranty. However, as stated above an unwritten warranty is no warranty. Getting warranty help on something other than a KTM/Husky is luck of the draw.

I'm can't remember if KTM and/or Husky provided a written warranty back in the 70s and 80s. Back then I was young and buying used European bikes before switching to jap bikes in the mid 80s. I switched back to KTM in 2010 and have bought 5 new ones since then. Funny thing is I've never had to use the KTM warranty. FWIW, I'm not complaining.

I didn't realize TM provided a written warranty.
bonseff
10/2/2019 3:12pm
I worked at a couple shops back in the day and most machines on lifts in the service dept were mini's, road bikes, 4 wheelers and jet skis. I think the road bikes owners go in to keep up with routine maintenance.

Moto racers are super particular and learning repairs is a big part of the fun keeping your bike fresh.

I kinda felt bad for the service mechanics because they had to buy their own tools, particularly specialty tools for bikes the shop sold. I still remember arguments unsatisfied clients had bringing their bikes back in after work was done.

Shop mechanics who care about quality have my respect. Many times they are racing the clock due to how the repairs were estimated, they spent a lot of unpaid hours one the shop was closed.

Just sharing my story here, not trying to pile on anyone's opinion.
10/2/2019 3:31pm
I'll be blunt. Most service guys are whores who drive pieces of shit and have no pride of workmanship.
You have to 100% check their work as best you can.

That said, the quicker it breaks, the sooner you are back to spend money. Job security. As long as it lasts till you get out the door it is good.

Take vehicles, do you think some 12 dollar an hour guy who was just laying on the ground gives a shit if he sits on your 150K leather? Nope. Because he wears the same shit when he gets in his 1980s 2wd pos D-50 to go drink beer and play video games in his pos apartment.

Here is a perfect example. Video on YouTube Guy gets his new diesel engine serviced before a trip.
Most people check their oil once a day. Not this guy.
3500 miles later decided to check the oil and there is no oil cap. It is sitting in a nice spot to set it when you are putting oil in. Full of dust and dirt.

Warranty paid for a new engine.
Sounds OK. Until you realize that when working on engine etc, they pull the whole cab.

Had he simply checked to make sure they actually changed the oil and filter (most dont on gassers because the oil stays clean so long and most people never look at anything) he would have seen they didnt put the cap back on before leaving the lot.

Here is a test. Next time you have a dealer do a top end, check the compression. And take it in dirty.
When they hand it back all cleaned up, check the compression.

I know a dumbfuck who drops his bike off and spends 300 bucks for them to check the spokes, change oil and adjust the chain and go over everything as most people do off and on.

He pays this After every ride.
I offered to do it for 150.
"You're not a certified tech"

True, but I could split cases 45 years ago. Which is 25 years longer than you've been alive or the dildo who is charging 150 for 1 hour to "true and balance" your wheels.(No wheel weights BTW)

Still no. I'd love to see him run it down a road so he could feel how out of balance his wheels really are.

Offered to show him how easy it is for a quart of oil and 15 minutes all in to check the spokes and chain and another 5 to do a once over.

Nope. Would rather pay 300. Dude is a dealers dream.
I guess for all of us who do our own shit, there are plenty keeping them in business.

Indy mxer
10/2/2019 4:25pm
Bret wrote:
For the same reason some people call plumbers, electricians or take their cars in for service; they either don't have the necessary skills/ability/tools or, they simply...
For the same reason some people call plumbers, electricians or take their cars in for service; they either don't have the necessary skills/ability/tools or, they simply don't want to do it themselves.
Boom, drop the mic!
chuck356
10/2/2019 5:09pm
In my shop, (single line Kawasaki dealer for 40+ years) I see more dirt bikes than street bikes usually. We always did a lot of dirt repair, back in the '80's and '90's I had engines shipped to me often. I remember a period of time I always kept 10-12 KX80 pistons in stock, I would mic them and record the sizes for selective assembly. And if you show up with an off-road machine dirty at my place, you don't get in.
kb228
10/2/2019 5:47pm
chuck356 wrote:
In my shop, (single line Kawasaki dealer for 40+ years) I see more dirt bikes than street bikes usually. We always did a lot of dirt...
In my shop, (single line Kawasaki dealer for 40+ years) I see more dirt bikes than street bikes usually. We always did a lot of dirt repair, back in the '80's and '90's I had engines shipped to me often. I remember a period of time I always kept 10-12 KX80 pistons in stock, I would mic them and record the sizes for selective assembly. And if you show up with an off-road machine dirty at my place, you don't get in.
Funny you say that about the dirty bikes. Often times i go into my dealership and you can see a muddy engine/frame with the head and cylinder apart. Whatever i guess.
chuck356
10/2/2019 6:39pm
Yes, there is no way you can do good work on dirty stuff.

Post a reply to: New Bike and Dealer "Service"

The Latest