New Bike Crate Damage - Update #2 w/ Pics

Winter86
10/5/2018 12:21am
My hard earned money gets me a perfect bike not a banged up one. Not only would I not except that bike but I’d be pissed I had to wait any longer. I’d tell my dealer to rush on getting another , quickly!
No way I’d take that bike the way it is. Bent sub frame, pipe, etc... who knows what else was damaged.
Bearuno
10/5/2018 1:03am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2018 1:05am
gsxr6 wrote:
I've seen sportbikes that were totalled from falling over as well. Bent Delta box aluminum frame . Oh that was falling over off the stand btw...
I've seen sportbikes that were totalled from falling over as well. Bent Delta box aluminum frame . Oh that was falling over off the stand btw. Shop measured frame as bent, bike totalled.
Some might have seen this, it's not spectacular in any way, but the money involved must have been frightening:

https://youtu.be/4UOxMdGpOv4?ecver=2" width="638" height="360

I don't recall all of the damage done - damaged frame and / or swingarm, and a fair few other bits. As you can hear from a Brit, it's a "152,000 Grand here" (or thereabouts) British Pounds bike. Not sure if it made it an insurance 'write off ' or not.

I worked in multiple dealerships (and a couple of importers / distributors ) over a fair few years (decades), saw plenty of shipping damage, and, had fun and games a fair few times, getting either the Manufacturer, or Distributor, or the Shipping Company (s) to admit to liability. Passing the Buck was nearly always rampant.
FARANG
10/5/2018 1:11am
Where are you guys seeing the bent subframe?
The left pipe looks way further from the rear fender than the right pipe. Could be camera angle but I doubt it given the damage to the crate at the back of the bike.

So either the subframe is bent to the right or the exhaust is bent out to the left. Either way, I'd rather have a new one than one that's being smashed up and then repaired.

colepop
10/5/2018 6:44am
Okay, after seeing the pictures, I would not accept that bike. The OP made it seem like the damage was from parts rubbing together not being used as a battering ram to bust a door down on a drug bust at a crack house...

That bike may be the new Christine from Stephen King! It might have a taste of blood and like it

The Shop

OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
10/5/2018 7:06am
So how long till one of you ( don’t walk Run. Its bent . Don’t trust a dealer guys ) post up a pic of your new CRF And rave about how great your dealer is and how great your bike is . Posts a pic of this exact bike after it’s been fixed ?
peelout
10/5/2018 8:03am
did anyone else have trouble sleeping last night because of this?

God Dammit OP, what did you decide?! we NEED to know, did you Love It or List It, bro?!

rmgsxr
10/5/2018 8:07am
rmgsxr wrote:
There are one of those three that don't give two fucks about being on any team. Based on what shows up on the back of some...
There are one of those three that don't give two fucks about being on any team.

Based on what shows up on the back of some of the trucks you can tell that in the shipping industry some guys don't give a shit about anything in that box.
TeamGreen wrote:
I heard those Austrian 50s that come 2 to a crate are ALWAYS in great shape!?!?
three9zero wrote:
Every 2018 65 SX we have opened this year has been mangled.
TeamGreen those 50s come one to a crate. If there were two in each cardboard box we would really be screwed. I'm the same as three9zero. Every 50 and 65 we have opened so far has had damage. And turning in claims all of the time doesn't seem to matter. The bikes still come all of the way from Austria in a cardboard box.
c0ncEpT
10/5/2018 8:20am
I honestly thought you were being a huge bitch about the whole situation with the original post and damage listed.

Seeing the pics now that thing is FUBAR... Get another one.
GoYamaha
10/5/2018 8:22am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2018 8:23am
The bad part is, that Honda will be fixed and put on the floor and someone will buy it without knowing the history of it. Chances are anyone who bought a bike that was on the showroom floor could of had shipping damage and wont ever know it. The dealers I have worked for, would have fixed that Honda and sold it no issues. They did the right thing since someone was waiting for the bike to tell them there was and issue when it arrived. However if the OP buys it or not it will still get fixed and sold. Its a new bike, with new parts on it. As long as its gone through thoroughly there isn't a way to know if the bike was damaged or not.
ns503
10/5/2018 8:26am
So what happened between 'he told me the swingarm is scratched', and 'he sent these pics because I asked'?

There's way more damage there than a scratched swingarm, and sounds like the dealer clearly was trying to hide the full story - that crate is trashed. I'd be kinda leery about dealing with anything from them now, not exactly 'straight up'.

Curious to see more straight on pics of that back end though - the pic angle makes it hard to tell on sub frame & exhaust stuff.
murph783
10/5/2018 8:27am
Which dealer is it? If you don’t mind saying...I thought I remembered you saying CT, I’d just like to keep it in mind lol
pkiczuk
10/5/2018 9:25am
murph783 wrote:
Which dealer is it? If you don’t mind saying...I thought I remembered you saying CT, I’d just like to keep it in mind lol
was gonna ask the same thing lol
user760a
10/5/2018 9:58am
This crate damage is a godsend, it gives you another opportunity to buy the bike you should have been getting innthe first place, the 19 YZ250F. screw that dual pipe scrap heap
three9zero
10/5/2018 3:49pm
Holy freaking Shhiiieeettee, that bike is MANGLED, as a dealer I would have refused it, called my OEM sales rep and do my best to send it back with the courier while they were unloading it. No way it left the Honda warehouse like that, it has been damaged in transit, or dropped at the dealership(it happens). # 1 rule I've learned in 20 years of sales is ALWAYS tell the customer the truth((and yes I have learned the hard way), in the long run its the way to go, the customer will understand most situations once they calm down and have a chance to think about what has happened. If the salesman would have picked up the phone and told you," Hey man, the bike we had received for you has been damaged in transit, its not good, do you have the ability to come down and check out the bike, we will do what ever it takes to get you another bike/refund your deposit/fix the bike, ball is in your court sir.
gsxr6
10/6/2018 8:57am
The rear fender is over to the right side at least an inch from center lol
tkimb
10/6/2018 9:39am
Where are you guys seeing the bent subframe?
Fender being no where near over center of the wheel is a bad sign. Left exhaust looks jacked too, but could be picture angle
ns503
10/6/2018 10:44am
gsxr6 wrote:
The rear fender is over to the right side at least an inch from center lol
Pic is also taken from off the side a bit.
Nighttrain
10/6/2018 11:05am
Robgvx wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/05/291919/s1200_0256D2EB_1932_476F_BD2A_8016B48CBA41.jpg[/img]

Shouldn’t that vessel be leaning port side given the way the load shifted? Or is it being countersteered to keep the cargo from going in the drink? Either way that’d be a mess.
usafwx
10/6/2018 1:45pm
I would not drop $8k on that bike OP. That looks a lot worse than the slight damage to the swingarm and sprocket as they first told you. You have no way of knowing the extent of it until you take delivery and are dealing with issues later down the road. Would you buy a new car that had been damaged in shipping? Of course not, at least not at a price that you could get for an undamaged one. There will be plenty more, patience though I know its killing you.
10/6/2018 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2018 4:11pm
Does another dealer have one? Maybe asked already. I didn’t read all the pages. It’s not like it’s unobtanium.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
10/6/2018 4:32pm
Per my request, the dealer sent me these: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/04/291571/s1200_Crate_Damage_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/04/291572/s1200_Crate_Damage_2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/04/291578/s1200_Crate_Damage_3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/04/291583/s1200_Crate_Damage_4.jpg[/img]
Per my request, the dealer sent me these:

Damn.. that has fallen from a height. Looks like there more than just yours with a damaged crate.
Back end looks well tweaked to me, as much as i would be desperate to go collect my new bike i would pass on that and wait for next delivery or buy from another dealer. To big a damage for me.
steve_97060
10/6/2018 5:40pm
those pics show much more damage than mere cosmetic damage to the swingarm as described in the OP.
I would walk from that.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
10/6/2018 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2018 5:47pm
Robgvx wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/05/291919/s1200_0256D2EB_1932_476F_BD2A_8016B48CBA41.jpg[/img]

Nighttrain wrote:
Shouldn’t that vessel be leaning port side given the way the load shifted? Or is it being countersteered to keep the cargo from going in the...
Shouldn’t that vessel be leaning port side given the way the load shifted? Or is it being countersteered to keep the cargo from going in the drink? Either way that’d be a mess.
that happened just off the coast from where i live, it hit a reef and came to a stop, very quick, it shifted back and forth with the tide and swell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rena_oil_spill
dcg141
10/6/2018 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2018 10:44pm
What should happen..the shipping company should pay for that bike. What will happen..they will make the dealer call a 800# several times and get routed to several different "customer service" people. They will want pics, and a detailed account of what happened while the bike was in their possession filled out on a form of their choosing. The driver will of course not have that form on him and will be totally clueless as to the process involved in freight claims. They will only mail the form and it will need to be notarized. After all that is done they will turn down the claim and you will be able to "escalate" the claim and someone from said freight company will come by at some point and explain how they never actually pay damage claims. Honda will point fingers to the freight company, as they should, and when the freight company drags out the claim and refuses to pay they will offer no help and they will keep using the same company. Mainly because any other freight company is not going to be any better. It is in every dealer agreement that under no circumstances can you refuse shipment on a bike. If you do that bike will never come off your flooring and you will never get paid for that bike. That's in there for a reason. Because every manufacturer knows that every freight company in the US is going to f up bikes.
10/11/2018 7:01am
It’s been a crazy week around here but I wanted to provide people with an update to this situation.

The dealer ended up calling me that Thursday afternoon (I was notified about the damage on Tuesday) to inform me that one of the other two buyers for the other bikes had backed out. So, an unmolested unit could be ready for pick-up the next day. Naturally, I jumped all over it. However, after speaking with the dealer and through conversations with folks who have experienced similar events as well as posts in this thread, I truly believe this a not a rare occurrence whatsoever. I’m sure there’s guys posting in this topic who have bikes in their garage that were purchased new that were repaired, unbeknownst to them, before they ever took possession.

In hindsight, I’m not sure what I would’ve done had the dealer not offered me this different bike. I surely would’ve drove down to inspect the damage first hand prior to the commencement of any repairs if I was actually considering accepting the bike. I also believe the severity of the damage to the bike is being exaggerated here to a degree. A lot is being inferred due to the condition of the crate. The angle of the picture may be giving the illusion of disproportion of parts as well. I guess we’ll really never know. One thing I do know is that my salesman was completely honest and entirely forthright through all this and has definitely earned my trust. I will certainly start my future new bike searches at his dealership. Doesn’t’ hurt that they have the offer the best pricing as well - $7439 OTD for what I think may be one of the first Honda ’19 250s in New England.

Trav138
10/11/2018 7:09am
Good deal
I'm glad it all worked out for ya.

opyguy
10/11/2018 7:24am
It’s been a crazy week around here but I wanted to provide people with an update to this situation. The dealer ended up calling me that...
It’s been a crazy week around here but I wanted to provide people with an update to this situation.

The dealer ended up calling me that Thursday afternoon (I was notified about the damage on Tuesday) to inform me that one of the other two buyers for the other bikes had backed out. So, an unmolested unit could be ready for pick-up the next day. Naturally, I jumped all over it. However, after speaking with the dealer and through conversations with folks who have experienced similar events as well as posts in this thread, I truly believe this a not a rare occurrence whatsoever. I’m sure there’s guys posting in this topic who have bikes in their garage that were purchased new that were repaired, unbeknownst to them, before they ever took possession.

In hindsight, I’m not sure what I would’ve done had the dealer not offered me this different bike. I surely would’ve drove down to inspect the damage first hand prior to the commencement of any repairs if I was actually considering accepting the bike. I also believe the severity of the damage to the bike is being exaggerated here to a degree. A lot is being inferred due to the condition of the crate. The angle of the picture may be giving the illusion of disproportion of parts as well. I guess we’ll really never know. One thing I do know is that my salesman was completely honest and entirely forthright through all this and has definitely earned my trust. I will certainly start my future new bike searches at his dealership. Doesn’t’ hurt that they have the offer the best pricing as well - $7439 OTD for what I think may be one of the first Honda ’19 250s in New England.

good price and honest dealer...which dealer was it?

Post a reply to: New Bike Crate Damage - Update #2 w/ Pics

The Latest