New Bike Crate Damage - Update #2 w/ Pics

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2018 9:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/2/2018 9:33 PM

I put a deposit down on ’19 CRF250 last week and the dealer calls me this afternoon to inform me that the bike crate arrived damaged. Apparently the swingarm was scratched by the front wheel rotor rubbing on it continuously while in transit. They received 3 new 250s, but of course mine was the only one that was impacted. They’re ordering a new swingarm and rotor and promise to have the repair completed by next week and he assures me that the damage is completely cosmetic. Now, naturally I’m dying to throw a leg over this new scoot but part of me is apprehensive about A.) paying for/accepting a bike that has been compromised without having actually assessed the severity of the damage myself and B.) leaving the repair in the dealer’s hands as I always work on my own bikes for obvious reasons. I already asked if it was possible to accept the bike as is and make the repair myself when the parts come in. I was told they cannot release the bike in this condition due contractual agreements etc etc and the repair must be made in house and the damage parts returned to Honda.

So, I basically have 2 options: waive this bike and wait a month or so for the next shipment to arrive or proceed with the purchase of the repaired one. Thoughts?

|

'21 KX250
'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

10/2/2018 9:11 PM

This stuff happens more often than you think. Trust your dealership they will take care of it

|

10/2/2018 9:12 PM

Congrats on the new scoot, personally I would ask for a few dollars off and fix it myself... smile

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

10/2/2018 9:14 PM

This shouldn’t even be an issue. Accept the bike once they replace the parts they need to replace. If you’re worried they installed something wrong, pull it apart and reinstall it yourself once you get it.

|

10/2/2018 9:16 PM

Wait because if you accept the bike damaged then some fluke crap like a crank bearing going out or your subframe breaks in half 4 hours into riding it they won’t be able to pull some not cover it crap and say you already took the bike “damaged” beyond the Honda dealerships recommendation. But that’s just me I’m paranoid

|

10/2/2018 9:19 PM

Just continue you with the purchase. As a service manager at a large dealer, this kind of stuff happens often. They are doing the right thing and taking care of it. I promise they are no more thrilled about it as you are. Now they have to file a warranty claim and take pictures and do the hole process. if you do all your own work, then you will be fine. If it were me, I’d call up there and request they assemble the new parts with your favorite grease and make sure the bolts are actually torqued. That, I’m my opinion, is not an absurd request.
Good luck.

|

10/2/2018 9:23 PM

motoarmageddon wrote:

This stuff happens more often than you think. Trust your dealership they will take care of it

These were actually my first thoughts, but after stewing on it for 12 hours I am second guessing the whole deal.

I appreciate the reassurance,

|

'21 KX250
'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

10/2/2018 9:31 PM

ianhendry946 wrote:

Just continue you with the purchase. As a service manager at a large dealer, this kind of stuff happens often. They are doing the right thing and taking care of it. I promise they are no more thrilled about it as you are. Now they have to file a warranty claim and take pictures and do the hole process. if you do all your own work, then you will be fine. If it were me, I’d call up there and request they assemble the new parts with your favorite grease and make sure the bolts are actually torqued. That, I’m my opinion, is not an absurd request.
Good luck.

Yes, I can totally see the headache on their end. I will likely proceed with the purchase on this bike but your last statement is exactly what has me worried; I feel like if I have to request them to torque bolts, then I really don't want them wrenching on my flying machine!

|

'21 KX250
'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'21 Husky EE-5
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

10/2/2018 9:42 PM

Ask to see the bike in its current condition. And if they will not let you see it, ask for them to keep the parts they are replacing so you can see them when you go to pick up the bike.

If they refuse, do not purchase the bike. I would want to see the bike in its current condition myself, or refuse to purchase it.

|

10/2/2018 11:00 PM

I would ask for an extended warranty on not just the parts replaced but the whole bike! Also a discount of at least $500. You know this is not coming out of the dealerships pocket Honda is going to send them the Oem parts and reimburse them for the labor. Or wait. If you can’t wait can you find another dealership to get one from even if it’s not local? Like someone above posted if you have problems in a month or so because a bearing goes out. I would get something other than just there word. Just my 2 cents.

|

"If you're not 1st your Last"

10/2/2018 11:10 PM

If you paid for an untouched bike, that is what you should get.

|

10/2/2018 11:54 PM

They atleast told you the honest truth. If you had bought one off the floor, then it very well may have had the same issue, but they fixed it before you got your hands on it and you would be none the wiser.

I would not think twice about it, take the swing arm off and regrease/torque it anyways. Same deal as the linkage, steering stem, wheel bearings, air filter etc. etc. Its what most of us do anyways i thought.

|

10/3/2018 1:31 AM

You need to have some patience, as tough as it may be, young man.

|

10/3/2018 2:42 AM

MXerDW wrote:

Ask to see the bike in its current condition. And if they will not let you see it, ask for them to keep the parts they are replacing so you can see them when you go to pick up the bike.

If they refuse, do not purchase the bike. I would want to see the bike in its current condition myself, or refuse to purchase it.

You can look at the parts but not keep them. Just an FYI. Almost all warrantable parts are stored at the dealer for a designated amount of time before they are destroyed or tossed.

|

I'm not a squid.. just a really fast jellyfish.

10/3/2018 3:08 AM

I think you're getting all twisted up over nothing. It's a scratched swingarm, let them replace it and be happy that they did. Every time I buy a new bike it has some cosmetic flaw from shipping that didn't get fixed.

|

10/3/2018 3:32 AM

People are really overthinking this one, sheesh.

|

10/3/2018 3:34 AM

As haydos25 said above at least they were honest about it. They very well could have told you that it hasn't came in yet, while they were waiting on the parts to come in and fix it and you wouldn't have known any different. I would buy from them based on that alone, not very many dealers would have done that. Also there is WAY too much paranoia going on in here, it's a scratched swing arm, it isn't like the crate was crushed or dropped in a lake. If they were trying to polish out the scratch, or straighten the rotor I would be concerned, but it sounds like they are doing the right thing.

|

10/3/2018 3:37 AM

kiwifan wrote:

Congrats on the new scoot, personally I would ask for a few dollars off and fix it myself... smile

read the last 2 sentences of his first paragraph.

|

10/3/2018 3:56 AM

I’m a sales rep for an OEM. This stuff happens constantly. If the dealer never mentioned this to you, you’d never even know. Nothing at all to worry about here. Pick up your new bike and enjoy it!

|

10/3/2018 3:57 AM

It’s just a scratched swingarm, not a cracked case. I would not lose sleep over it if you’re taking it apart anyway. Just make sure they put in new bearings and it won’t make a difference once you receive the bike.

|

10/3/2018 4:27 AM

Any given bike is an assembly of parts. Whether a given OEM part is installed on the assembly line or at your dealership is not an issue. After a month of riding said motorcycle, nearly every one of those new OEM parts will be dirty, scratched, and used. Might as well start out with a scratch or two just to show the rest of the bike what is expected.

If you could hear some of the stories that dealers could tell about "new" vehicles (especially autos) they've had to fix/finish/bend into shape, it would take some of the new lust out of your mind.

|

10/3/2018 5:13 AM

buy a yamaha, those duel exhaust, double header pipe are gimmicky imo..?...nah jking..

|

10/3/2018 5:41 AM

This stuff happens all the time with the shipping companies. You're bike will be just fine.

|

10/3/2018 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2018 7:45 AM

I bought a new in the crate 2018 CRF450 earlier this year. One thing that is strange is that the front wheel isn't near the swingarm while in the crate (on my 2018). I did have a scuff on my swingarm, but it was from a piece of the flimsy ass metal crate rubbing on it during transit. Photo

I would ask for pictures and possibly request one of the unfucked bikes.

|

10/3/2018 6:40 AM

Doddy wrote:

If you paid for an untouched bike, that is what you should get.

This kind of thing happens a lot more than you would think. It is not all sunshine and unicorns in the real world.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

10/3/2018 6:50 AM

Take the bike now. When the parts come in drop it off for a replacement/swap. It happen more than you think. I work at a dealership. The real fun is damaged or flawed gel coat on boats........

|

10/3/2018 6:59 AM

Personally, I would wait. It should be pristine and new because that is what you are paying for. Just have patience on another one. Otherwise you will worry about it.

|

10/3/2018 7:25 AM

99% of dealers wouldn't even tell you. They would order the parts and repair it without you even knowing.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/3/2018 7:43 AM

Youre making a big deal over something really minor thats getting fixed anyways.

|

10/3/2018 7:49 AM

I would walk from the deal... but that’s just me.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250