New Alta model

Superdave19
2/1/2018 1:44pm
Zoom wrote:
Super Dave! I will have one at the Texas 2 Stoke Championship at 3 Palms next weekend. Feel free to come on over an take it...
Super Dave!

I will have one at the Texas 2 Stoke Championship at 3 Palms next weekend. Feel free to come on over an take it on a test ride.
Dude thanks Larry! - I will certainly take you up on it!!

See you on the 11th- BRaaAPPP- Wait... What do Alta riders say?
Meister
2/1/2018 1:52pm
For crying out loud, somebody in Ohio buy one! I need to ride one! I then may buy one of my own. Ill be buying something soon, either a new 450, or if I can ride an alta, possibly no more gas for me besides in the generator. lol
Erek_Kudla
2/1/2018 1:55pm
McDuff wrote:
I wonder if it would be legal to race in an enduro or hare scramble? I feel the hp and torque of the Alta would be...
I wonder if it would be legal to race in an enduro or hare scramble? I feel the hp and torque of the Alta would be ideal for an experienced woodsman such as myself.
In AMA Off-road it is eligible for non-displacement classes only. Pro, Vet, Senior, Open (as long as the class has no CC caps). It is NOT eligible for 250 classes.

The question is what Enduro or HS are you going to race it at that is short enough?
Zachintosh
2/1/2018 1:56pm
Zachintosh wrote:
Current Alta owners: On average, how much run time are you getting at an MX track on a single charge?
Zoom wrote:
Like I posted earlier I'm a Regional Sales Manager for Alta based in Houston. I'm an old vet rider, but a former pro back in the...
Like I posted earlier I'm a Regional Sales Manager for Alta based in Houston. I'm an old vet rider, but a former pro back in the 80's. On my demo, I can get in a good two hours or more on the bike in a day's worth of riding. I will ride around a 20 minute moto, and maybe use half the battery or more. I will put in on the charger while I rest and then jump on it about 45 minutes to an hour later and ride another 20 minute moto a few times throughout the day. That is on the 2017 MX. The new MXR is going to charge almost twice as fast.
Thanks for the info!

Were you recharging at the track on a standard 110V or 240V?

The Shop

2/1/2018 2:02pm
Any demo days coming to the Carolinas? This new model has really sealed the deal for me when it comes to electric, all I need is to test it out but it’s a safe bet that one of these will be my next bike.
Zoom
2/1/2018 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 2:06pm
Zoom wrote:
Super Dave! I will have one at the Texas 2 Stoke Championship at 3 Palms next weekend. Feel free to come on over an take it...
Super Dave!

I will have one at the Texas 2 Stoke Championship at 3 Palms next weekend. Feel free to come on over an take it on a test ride.
Dude thanks Larry! - I will certainly take you up on it!!

See you on the 11th- BRaaAPPP- Wait... What do Alta riders say?
Alta owners go zzzzt

However, I will be going Braaaaap on my YZ125 at the Texas 2 Stoke Championship Feb.11 with you!
Premix
2/1/2018 2:07pm
Erek_Kudla wrote:
In AMA Off-road it is eligible for non-displacement classes only. Pro, Vet, Senior, Open (as long as the class has no CC caps). It is NOT...
In AMA Off-road it is eligible for non-displacement classes only. Pro, Vet, Senior, Open (as long as the class has no CC caps). It is NOT eligible for 250 classes.

The question is what Enduro or HS are you going to race it at that is short enough?
Sprint Enduros or the multitude of shorter GP races popping up all over the east coast. Good to see the AMA Off Road Racing manager on top of things! Thanks Erek!
Zoom
2/1/2018 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 2:11pm
Zachintosh wrote:
Current Alta owners: On average, how much run time are you getting at an MX track on a single charge?
Zoom wrote:
Like I posted earlier I'm a Regional Sales Manager for Alta based in Houston. I'm an old vet rider, but a former pro back in the...
Like I posted earlier I'm a Regional Sales Manager for Alta based in Houston. I'm an old vet rider, but a former pro back in the 80's. On my demo, I can get in a good two hours or more on the bike in a day's worth of riding. I will ride around a 20 minute moto, and maybe use half the battery or more. I will put in on the charger while I rest and then jump on it about 45 minutes to an hour later and ride another 20 minute moto a few times throughout the day. That is on the 2017 MX. The new MXR is going to charge almost twice as fast.
Zachintosh wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Were you recharging at the track on a standard 110V or 240V?
I was charging on 110V. The new 2018 MXR comes with a 240V charger and some tracks in Texas have put in 240 plugs. If not you can always plug into a generator. I'm installing an inverter on my Sprinter. Just got all the pieces in.

PSA...Its OK to use a gas powered generator to charge your electric Alta. Some people think that the founders at Alta created this bike to save the planet. Not so, they created it to have an easier way to go fast on a dirt bike. They love this stuff!
Erek_Kudla
2/1/2018 2:12pm
Premix wrote:
Sprint Enduros or the multitude of shorter GP races popping up all over the east coast. Good to see the AMA Off Road Racing manager on...
Sprint Enduros or the multitude of shorter GP races popping up all over the east coast. Good to see the AMA Off Road Racing manager on top of things! Thanks Erek!
Sprint Enduro's will work, as long as you have enough time between tests to get a quick charge in. GP's will work, as long as they are short enough races.

The longevity is still what will hold the Alta back in off-road. Once they get there it'll be better.
BobbyM
2/1/2018 2:26pm
Solar cells on the fenders coming soon. Smile
Rockinar
2/1/2018 2:40pm
Wonder if this will turn out like computers and phones? By the time you get it home and open the box, it's out dated.

Hate to be one of those guys who just paid $15K for one. Now your bike is out dated and kinda worthless. You just lost about 50% in one year
2/1/2018 2:40pm
McDuff wrote:
I wonder if it would be legal to race in an enduro or hare scramble? I feel the hp and torque of the Alta would be...
I wonder if it would be legal to race in an enduro or hare scramble? I feel the hp and torque of the Alta would be ideal for an experienced woodsman such as myself.
Erek_Kudla wrote:
In AMA Off-road it is eligible for non-displacement classes only. Pro, Vet, Senior, Open (as long as the class has no CC caps). It is NOT...

claiming 4 hours of woods
Asimo
2/1/2018 2:46pm
Rockinar wrote:
Wonder if this will turn out like computers and phones? By the time you get it home and open the box, it's out dated. Hate to...
Wonder if this will turn out like computers and phones? By the time you get it home and open the box, it's out dated.

Hate to be one of those guys who just paid $15K for one. Now your bike is out dated and kinda worthless. You just lost about 50% in one year
Im still on a Samsung 4. Unless it dies, why buy a new one when this one does everything fine?

I'm not sold on the "I Need it to live" pitch. I could own a bike and if it works 5 years later, I don't "Need" anything.

Ronnie Mac is kicking ass on a 98 CR for example.
BobPA
2/1/2018 3:01pm
Asimo wrote:
Im still on a Samsung 4. Unless it dies, why buy a new one when this one does everything fine? I'm not sold on the "I...
Im still on a Samsung 4. Unless it dies, why buy a new one when this one does everything fine?

I'm not sold on the "I Need it to live" pitch. I could own a bike and if it works 5 years later, I don't "Need" anything.

Well, in a straight line anyway....
Johnny Depp
2/1/2018 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 3:27pm
McDuff wrote:
Erek_Kudla wrote:

That sounds like it's not allowed even in the 450 classes, assuming there are such classes?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/1/2018 3:36pm
Any demo days coming to the Carolinas? This new model has really sealed the deal for me when it comes to electric, all I need is...
Any demo days coming to the Carolinas? This new model has really sealed the deal for me when it comes to electric, all I need is to test it out but it’s a safe bet that one of these will be my next bike.
I believe every day is a demo day with altas. Make the drive to north n/w Georgia and hit up highland Park. You can demo a bike there, and they got a couple motocross tracks as well as more trails than you could ride in a day.
mark911
2/1/2018 3:37pm
Rockinar wrote:
Wonder if this will turn out like computers and phones? By the time you get it home and open the box, it's out dated. Hate to...

40% is about right. After paying for suspension upgrades, proper tires, etc, I'd say my total cost relative to the new R model is about 140%. But for this price I have a bike tuned for me and I'd expect most folks will tweak the "R" suspension to suit them as well. That'll add some cost right back. I suspect the added torque and power is enabled by software changes as much as the new battery pack. The recharge time is probably 100% software driven. A simply "re-flash" will probably get most of the benefits of the R free of charge. If the new pack is in fact a prerequisite to any software updates I can only hope that Alta offers us early investors a big discount on the new tech.

So, bottom line to the 2017s, overpaid? Certainly. Outdated/worthless? Not even close.
Erek_Kudla
2/1/2018 3:38pm
That sounds like it's not allowed even in the 450 classes, assuming there are such classes?
Depends on the series. In Off-Road there is no homologation and the Open classes are left to allow as big of a bike as you'd want to race.

So if you look at the individual Off-Road series Rules

National Enduro - All “Open” classes are 96cc-Open
National Hare and Hound - 251cc-open
West Hare Scramble - 251cc-open
East Hare Scramble - 251cc-open
Big 6 GP - 251cc-open
Full Gas Sprint Enduro - Eligible for all classes except Lites and Junior

Again, the only one it could even really last at in Full Gas and maybe Big 6.

zehn
2/1/2018 3:39pm
Asimo wrote:
Im still on a Samsung 4. Unless it dies, why buy a new one when this one does everything fine? I'm not sold on the "I...

Cool but you don't speak for everyone
jeffro503
2/1/2018 3:56pm
This bike just got a lot more interesting for me. I never thought I'd say that.
2/1/2018 3:58pm
Can anyone explain how the 240v charging works? I'm assuming they are using the standard locking 30amp plug found on most generators? Anyone have pics of...
Can anyone explain how the 240v charging works? I'm assuming they are using the standard locking 30amp plug found on most generators? Anyone have pics of this charging system?

I have a 50amp outlet in my garage to charge my Teslas. Anyone know if I can plug into that outlet? It's a NEMA 14/50 if that helps.

Did the recharge time on 120v speed up as well?

Can you charge 120v or 240v or do you have to pick one when you order?

If you want to charge on 120v and 240v will you need to order a 120v and 240v specific charger? Or does the 240v charger have provisions for charging on 120v?

Jason
As far as the outlet, you could chop the end off the Alta charging cord and put on a 14/50 twistlock male end.

There’s no reason you can’t, the 30A is just standard, but you will not overload the circuit or burn your house down haha.
Johnny Depp
2/1/2018 4:03pm
Erek_Kudla wrote:
Depends on the series. In Off-Road there is no homologation and the Open classes are left to allow as big of a bike as you'd want...
Depends on the series. In Off-Road there is no homologation and the Open classes are left to allow as big of a bike as you'd want to race.

So if you look at the individual Off-Road series Rules

National Enduro - All “Open” classes are 96cc-Open
National Hare and Hound - 251cc-open
West Hare Scramble - 251cc-open
East Hare Scramble - 251cc-open
Big 6 GP - 251cc-open
Full Gas Sprint Enduro - Eligible for all classes except Lites and Junior

Again, the only one it could even really last at in Full Gas and maybe Big 6.

Got it, thanks Erek!
Freddyfred
2/1/2018 4:04pm
I'm really keen but I'm in Chicago and the closest dealer is 687 miles away Sad
acres951
2/1/2018 6:47pm
Rockinar wrote:

mark911 wrote:
40% is about right. After paying for suspension upgrades, proper tires, etc, I'd say my total cost relative to the new R model is about 140%...
40% is about right. After paying for suspension upgrades, proper tires, etc, I'd say my total cost relative to the new R model is about 140%. But for this price I have a bike tuned for me and I'd expect most folks will tweak the "R" suspension to suit them as well. That'll add some cost right back. I suspect the added torque and power is enabled by software changes as much as the new battery pack. The recharge time is probably 100% software driven. A simply "re-flash" will probably get most of the benefits of the R free of charge. If the new pack is in fact a prerequisite to any software updates I can only hope that Alta offers us early investors a big discount on the new tech.

So, bottom line to the 2017s, overpaid? Certainly. Outdated/worthless? Not even close.
Yeah and seriously how much do you lose after 1 year on an ICE bike, easy 40% or so I would think.

But the Alta motor will go 3000 hours! Even if it’s 1000 hours that’s crazy.

Seems cool and I’m glad there’s early adopters who are giving them a go. I wish I could they seem pretty neat.
jeffro503
2/1/2018 7:12pm
acres951 wrote:
Yeah and seriously how much do you lose after 1 year on an ICE bike, easy 40% or so I would think. But the Alta motor...
Yeah and seriously how much do you lose after 1 year on an ICE bike, easy 40% or so I would think.

Seems cool and I’m glad there’s early adopters who are giving them a go. I wish I could they seem pretty neat.
Is the motor really estimated for 3000 hours? BlinkBlink That is nuts! Anyone know what the battery life is suppose to be?

I mean hell....no motor rebuild ( basically if it's 3000 hours....that's a life time motor ) , no clutch rebuild , no motor oil , no cleaning air filters.....in the long run , you will probably come out ahead I would think.

I left the 4 strokes behind , and jumped back on the 2 strokes mainly because they are just more fun for me. But man , I went through this in the 1/8th scale buggy and truggy stuff years ago.....got away from gas , went electric , and never looked back. These Alta's have sparked my curiosity for sure.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
2/1/2018 7:30pm
Rockinar wrote:

I wouldn’t expect huge changes to the chassis going forward, but I would hope as new battery technology results in smaller and lighter batteries they will be retro fiteable in the current chassis..This would keep the current bikes from becoming obsolete as technology advances...
Superdave19
2/1/2018 7:37pm
Brad460 wrote:
I wouldn’t expect huge changes to the chassis going forward, but I would hope as new battery technology results in smaller and lighter batteries they will...
I wouldn’t expect huge changes to the chassis going forward, but I would hope as new battery technology results in smaller and lighter batteries they will be retro fiteable in the current chassis..This would keep the current bikes from becoming obsolete as technology advances...
Never thought about that, but very, very good point. That would be HUGE incentive.

Also, just think about how much our 450's depreciate in 1 yr...
Trent179
2/1/2018 8:00pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
I wish Alta where on the stock exchange, i'd be throwing down some investment which would likely see huge returns in 5-10 years for sure!!
Thinking the same....
acres951
2/1/2018 9:40pm
acres951 wrote:
Yeah and seriously how much do you lose after 1 year on an ICE bike, easy 40% or so I would think. But the Alta motor...

jeffro503 wrote:
Is the motor really estimated for 3000 hours? :blink: :blink: That is nuts! Anyone know what the battery life is suppose to be? I mean hell....no...
Is the motor really estimated for 3000 hours? BlinkBlink That is nuts! Anyone know what the battery life is suppose to be?

I mean hell....no motor rebuild ( basically if it's 3000 hours....that's a life time motor ) , no clutch rebuild , no motor oil , no cleaning air filters.....in the long run , you will probably come out ahead I would think.

I left the 4 strokes behind , and jumped back on the 2 strokes mainly because they are just more fun for me. But man , I went through this in the 1/8th scale buggy and truggy stuff years ago.....got away from gas , went electric , and never looked back. These Alta's have sparked my curiosity for sure.
Haha to be clear I just read that claim on page 1 of this thread but even if it’s 1/3 of that it’s pretty awesome.
wacker
2/1/2018 10:11pm
mark911 wrote:
40% is about right. After paying for suspension upgrades, proper tires, etc, I'd say my total cost relative to the new R model is about 140%...

I had asked if I would be able to do this to get any benefits and I was told not so much. The performance upgrades mostly come out of an ALL NEW battery. It isn't even the same manufacturer as before and that's also where a lot of the price difference comes in. A battery upgrade would be cool, but probably wouldn't make sense financially if it even would work. I am almost certain it uses an all new computer as well. I spent almost a week on one of the first MXR's built and it was a blast. Everything is just a bit better all around as not only the suspension was upgraded, but shock linkage and mounting as well. Plus all the models got new pegs which was definitely needed. I have my 17 setup super dialed in and would love the upgrades of the MXR, but its not really holding me back in any way. I think the best thing about the MXR is that it just has all of the quirks worked out, right out of the box. I was comfortable with setting the sag, air pressure and a few clickers compared to completely gutting the 4CS and putting my KYB internals in it with some extra love to the shock setup.

Post a reply to: New Alta model

The Latest