12/18/2020 1:00pm
Catanzaro must be in on the conspiracy.

Smile
mx317
12/18/2020 4:28pm
EngIceDave wrote:
It gives reason to tell you to pound sand from my track

My way or the highway
Nothing to do with the new rule, but this guy says hi Dave!

Mayo513
12/22/2020 3:38pm
With this new rule are there any decent chest mount or alternative mount locations? I know the USWE chest mount has a good view but many events I will run their kidney hydration belt versus the normal backpack style.

The Shop

5/3/2021 2:55pm
My first AMA race since this new rule went into effect was this weekend. Some camera Nazi made the rounds during staging making everyone remove their camera. Funny how they've never sent someone around inspecting anything else before any of my offroad races. Or is it?...

Anyone who thinks this is about safety is drinking the Kool-Aid. This is the same organization that has lobbied for decades AGAINST mandatory helmet laws. Despite social media and Youtube videos being the largest contributors to a boom in offroad racing all across the country, they target the cameras? Why you ask? Money.

In case you haven't noticed, they've started to live stream AMA sanctioned amateur events like GNCC....with commercials even. They're broadcasts...no different than any other televised event. That means they want people watching their broadcast, not Johnny Rocket's personal video.

If it was about safety, the rule would apply to the Pro's who take far more risk and are far more likely to suffer serious injury. Why doesn't it apply to Pro's you ask? Because the Pro's are already legally restricted from releasing their video. They sign agreements. You can't go onto Youtube and find a full Supercross from a racer's camera. You'll find a few minutes of video...released by a major sponsor of the series (paid for).

For those claiming "conspiracy theory"...lol...take a look in the mirror. Show me data supporting the claim that a camera attached to a helmet meaningfully increases the risk of injury to the rider. You should know by now that anytime something doesn't make sense, all you have to do is follow the money.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
5/3/2021 3:11pm
My first AMA race since this new rule went into effect was this weekend. Some camera Nazi made the rounds during staging making everyone remove their...
My first AMA race since this new rule went into effect was this weekend. Some camera Nazi made the rounds during staging making everyone remove their camera. Funny how they've never sent someone around inspecting anything else before any of my offroad races. Or is it?...

Anyone who thinks this is about safety is drinking the Kool-Aid. This is the same organization that has lobbied for decades AGAINST mandatory helmet laws. Despite social media and Youtube videos being the largest contributors to a boom in offroad racing all across the country, they target the cameras? Why you ask? Money.

In case you haven't noticed, they've started to live stream AMA sanctioned amateur events like GNCC....with commercials even. They're broadcasts...no different than any other televised event. That means they want people watching their broadcast, not Johnny Rocket's personal video.

If it was about safety, the rule would apply to the Pro's who take far more risk and are far more likely to suffer serious injury. Why doesn't it apply to Pro's you ask? Because the Pro's are already legally restricted from releasing their video. They sign agreements. You can't go onto Youtube and find a full Supercross from a racer's camera. You'll find a few minutes of video...released by a major sponsor of the series (paid for).

For those claiming "conspiracy theory"...lol...take a look in the mirror. Show me data supporting the claim that a camera attached to a helmet meaningfully increases the risk of injury to the rider. You should know by now that anytime something doesn't make sense, all you have to do is follow the money.
Man it must really chap your ass that you're out the 45 views on your helmet cam video huh.

Also, I find no practical difference in mounting my Hero 9 to my fender vs a helmet mount.
spimx
5/3/2021 3:50pm
They will make a helmet soon with rare earth magnets on the top that are intended to hold a camera.
peelout
5/3/2021 3:53pm
JM485 wrote:
Luckily I mount mine to the visor. . .
hope it's not a Fox helmet, they can't even figure out how to keep visors attached
yzf162
5/3/2021 4:24pm
Rule sucks dick when you have a gp360. Honestly if you wanna make the rule for under 18 fine but if we choose to use our cameras on our helmets how we want that should be our choice. Last time i checked when i went sailing through the air over a 85 ft gap on a locked up was my go pro. Not only that but let's be honest here im willing to bet most of us have seen more people hurt do to the mouthpiece of our helmets getting stuck in the ground and wrenching our heads and necks. Look at Airoh for ex I've seen it happen to 3 riders in the last 2 years.
5/3/2021 4:45pm
My first AMA race since this new rule went into effect was this weekend. Some camera Nazi made the rounds during staging making everyone remove their...

Man it must really chap your ass that you're out the 45 views on your helmet cam video huh. Also, I find no practical difference in...
Man it must really chap your ass that you're out the 45 views on your helmet cam video huh.

Also, I find no practical difference in mounting my Hero 9 to my fender vs a helmet mount.
47 views bro. Bike mounted vids suck. Even the newest cams can't stabilize hard enduro type vids well enough to prevent someone from throwing up while watching them when the camera is mounted anywhere but the rider. I also prefer to see the handlebars and my computer. Chest mounts suck...they block the paparazzi from being able to sufficiently capture all of my sweet neon gear.
5/3/2021 4:49pm
Further....

Cams attached to the visor are legal according to the verbiage of the rule. Visors aren't included in helmet testing. They're actually required to be removed by FMVSS 218. Since the AMA isn't requiring people to remove their visors, the visor is clearly exempt. Therefore, anything attached to the visor is arguably also exempt. I'm discussing it with my local AMA representation now. We'll see how it goes...
JM485
5/3/2021 4:53pm

Riverfront Mammoth qualifier?

They didn’t give a shit that I had mine mounted under the visor, but ironically enough told my buddy to take his off the chest mount he runs Laughing

Just hold it in your hand when you’re in staging and put it back on after you pick your gate, you’re not gonna get black flagged and nobody really cares.
slipdog
5/3/2021 7:16pm
They made a kid in my son's 7-9 class take his helmet mount GP off at the Riverfront quali.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
83rd
5/3/2021 9:06pm
slipdog wrote:
They made a kid in my son's 7-9 class take his helmet mount GP off at the Riverfront quali.
Are they just making them take the actual gopro off or the mount too? Just curious if you could leave the mount on for non-ama races and practices or if you have to get rid of the mount all together.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
5/3/2021 9:39pm
slipdog wrote:
mwilcox349 wrote:
Are they just making them take the actual gopro off or the mount too? Just curious if you could leave the mount on for non-ama races...
Are they just making them take the actual gopro off or the mount too? Just curious if you could leave the mount on for non-ama races and practices or if you have to get rid of the mount all together.
According to the AMA rule, the mount would be disallowed because it is a modification of the helmet.
slipdog
5/3/2021 9:49pm
slipdog wrote:
mwilcox349 wrote:
Are they just making them take the actual gopro off or the mount too? Just curious if you could leave the mount on for non-ama races...
They just made him remove the GoPro from the mount.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
83rd
5/3/2021 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 10:13pm
slipdog wrote:
mwilcox349 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
According to the AMA rule, the mount would be disallowed because it is a modification of the helmet.
That's how I read it too. But they only made him remove the actual gopro. At the race I raced 2 weeks ago, I still saw people with gopros, mounts, and those fins. Didn't see anyone having to remove anything. It was a fairly well attended local race, not a LLQ tho. I'm sure that would be the difference in people protesting.
Mayo513
5/4/2021 1:13pm
Another option, if possible for your location, is to race/run non AMA series? In OH, there are two bigger series(non MX) that are non AMA and they are happy with the snarky 45 view channels. It's how I found out about some of them and went and signed up and gave them my money.
creature654
Fantasy
79th
5/4/2021 5:53pm

No restrictions at NESC in New EnglandCool ....like others have stated if I'm willing to take the risk of racing with it on, that's my choice and responsibility just like not wearing a neck or knee brace
NATEP231
5/4/2021 7:06pm
We will soon hear a rule change in the near future that will mandate something in 2022 for amateur racing. With a 5 year old beginning out in the sport, I am for it.
Skerby
5/5/2021 9:06am
I'd rather smoke my head into a gopro than a rock.
5/5/2021 4:54pm
I encourage everyone to discuss with their district President. Due to the ambiguity of the verbiage there will certainly not be widespread alignment. Each district will likely handle it their own way. The dude from OH that took it upon himself to be the camera Nazi at my last race was outside his jurisdiction. He also had some short guy syndrome going on.

I had some great communication with my district and I'm all good.

Some points to aid you in your communications:

1) The rule is supposedly intended to address concerns of impact force being focused into a smaller area than that which is validated during testing. This is logical, regardless of whether you think it was the true motivation for the rule. If you were to take an impact in the area of an attached camera/mount/etc., the force generated is focused upon the helmet shell in the area of the attached item only, it's not spread out over a larger area of shell as would be the case if the attachment wasn't there. Therefore, a failure of the shell could be expected at a lower force value than what the helmet was designed to absorb. This is true whether the item is glued, taped, screwed, etc....method of attachment is irrelevant.
2) Helmet testing validates the integrity of the helmet shell only.
3) Visors are not installed during helmet testing per FMVSS 218 requirements.
4) The AMA rule, if taken literally, would ban visors.
5) If visors are exempt, items attached to the visor are also exempt.

I'll be attaching my camera to the visor and encourage others who are interested to do the same.
BroFoSho
5/5/2021 6:34pm
I encourage everyone to discuss with their district President. Due to the ambiguity of the verbiage there will certainly not be widespread alignment. Each district will...
I encourage everyone to discuss with their district President. Due to the ambiguity of the verbiage there will certainly not be widespread alignment. Each district will likely handle it their own way. The dude from OH that took it upon himself to be the camera Nazi at my last race was outside his jurisdiction. He also had some short guy syndrome going on.

I had some great communication with my district and I'm all good.

Some points to aid you in your communications:

1) The rule is supposedly intended to address concerns of impact force being focused into a smaller area than that which is validated during testing. This is logical, regardless of whether you think it was the true motivation for the rule. If you were to take an impact in the area of an attached camera/mount/etc., the force generated is focused upon the helmet shell in the area of the attached item only, it's not spread out over a larger area of shell as would be the case if the attachment wasn't there. Therefore, a failure of the shell could be expected at a lower force value than what the helmet was designed to absorb. This is true whether the item is glued, taped, screwed, etc....method of attachment is irrelevant.
2) Helmet testing validates the integrity of the helmet shell only.
3) Visors are not installed during helmet testing per FMVSS 218 requirements.
4) The AMA rule, if taken literally, would ban visors.
5) If visors are exempt, items attached to the visor are also exempt.

I'll be attaching my camera to the visor and encourage others who are interested to do the same.
BUT BROOOOOOOO
You can't attach a GoPro to a visor for HARD ENDUROOOO
racerxx276
5/6/2021 3:21pm
I run mine on the chin guard, gets ripped off the top riding off road

Post a reply to: New AMA Rule for amateur competition

The Latest