New 450 weight.

H4L
3/30/2018 3:31pm
Denn700 wrote:
Reed had an 08 at his house and has stated on DMXS and Pulp how much he loved it and how it is the best handling...
Reed had an 08 at his house and has stated on DMXS and Pulp how much he loved it and how it is the best handling 450 ever made. He has said the 11-12 was his favorite 450 racebike.
Don't follow social media much since I have a busy schedule. Thnxz for the heads up.
Yep. I have heard an interview about him saying that the 11-12 CRF450r's were his favorite race bikes. Didn't know that he had owned an 08 though.

The 09-12 CRF450r's were excellent bikes with some mods.. Always felt the bikes were severely underrated, but knew they didn't make a good impression in stock trim. I can see why the mx mags rated them last from the showroom floor.
jtiger12
3/31/2018 1:27pm
I had a 2010 CRF450 with just about everything on it, and fc suspension. The link, hinson clutch, revalved steering damper, etc, etc. The 17/18 bone stock (after setting sag) is hands down a better bike than any 09-12 I've ridden.
H4L
3/31/2018 2:19pm
jtiger12 wrote:
I had a 2010 CRF450 with just about everything on it, and fc suspension. The link, hinson clutch, revalved steering damper, etc, etc. The 17/18 bone...
I had a 2010 CRF450 with just about everything on it, and fc suspension. The link, hinson clutch, revalved steering damper, etc, etc. The 17/18 bone stock (after setting sag) is hands down a better bike than any 09-12 I've ridden.
Agree. The 18 purchased from the showroom floor does everything a tad better than the 10 I had with mods.
3/31/2018 3:07pm
I had two 08 crf450s, both fully set up with ohlins. Then got a 12 crf450 and that absolutely knocked the spots off the 08. The 12 has much smoother more useable power delivery, the 08 was very aggressive even after extensive work. I have to run a bit more sag on the 12 to keep it stable but it turns SO much easier than the 08. In honesty when I first rode it, felt more like a crf250 than a 450.

The Shop

3/31/2018 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2018 3:11pm
I still run the 12 for the simple fact I really haven’t rode anything better. Full ohlins set up, Hinson 6 spring, full Akra system and gripper seat, she is good to go.
H4L
3/31/2018 3:40pm
I still run the 12 for the simple fact I really haven’t rode anything better. Full ohlins set up, Hinson 6 spring, full Akra system and...
I still run the 12 for the simple fact I really haven’t rode anything better. Full ohlins set up, Hinson 6 spring, full Akra system and gripper seat, she is good to go.
I'd still be on the 10 if it didn't have the hrs. it did. I was at a cross road to give it a frame off refurbish or buy new. The difference between a modded 09-12 & 18 in stock trim is not as big of a difference as I expected. My advice would be to keep the 12 as long as you can & save the $ unless you need to upgrade like I did.
H4L
3/31/2018 4:01pm
I had two 08 crf450s, both fully set up with ohlins. Then got a 12 crf450 and that absolutely knocked the spots off the 08. The...
I had two 08 crf450s, both fully set up with ohlins. Then got a 12 crf450 and that absolutely knocked the spots off the 08. The 12 has much smoother more useable power delivery, the 08 was very aggressive even after extensive work. I have to run a bit more sag on the 12 to keep it stable but it turns SO much easier than the 08. In honesty when I first rode it, felt more like a crf250 than a 450.
The 09-12 do like a bit more sag due to the chassis design. The 10 had FC suspension with the rear shock modified to their specs ( shortened internally). I ran between 106-108 seemed to be the sweet spot for me & it handled as good as the 05-08 models, but turned much better in comparison. The 09 + do feel smaller like my CR250 2 stroke, but with a heavier feel due the bigger engine rotating mass.
3/31/2018 4:04pm
I personally prefer some of the earlier carb bikes from honda over the 18 crf450. However I love the magic button (the start button)
Denn700
3/31/2018 4:09pm
Denn700 wrote:
Reed had an 08 at his house and has stated on DMXS and Pulp how much he loved it and how it is the best handling...
Reed had an 08 at his house and has stated on DMXS and Pulp how much he loved it and how it is the best handling 450 ever made. He has said the 11-12 was his favorite 450 racebike.
H4L wrote:
Don't follow social media much since I have a busy schedule. Thnxz for the heads up. Yep. I have heard an interview about him saying that...
Don't follow social media much since I have a busy schedule. Thnxz for the heads up.
Yep. I have heard an interview about him saying that the 11-12 CRF450r's were his favorite race bikes. Didn't know that he had owned an 08 though.

The 09-12 CRF450r's were excellent bikes with some mods.. Always felt the bikes were severely underrated, but knew they didn't make a good impression in stock trim. I can see why the mx mags rated them last from the showroom floor.
I actually have one of his old 2011 CRF450’s in my garage.
I think it was a practice bike. It doesn’t have A-Kit suspension but it has a Full Pro Circuit motor and a few one off parts. I also have Eric Kehoe’s 1992 CR125 race bike.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
3/31/2018 4:23pm
RCMXracing wrote:
This is what we “feel” when we talk about a bike feeling heavy v.s. light and flickable. From Quora.com: “A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or...
This is what we “feel” when we talk about a bike feeling heavy v.s. light and flickable. From Quora.com:
“A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc in which the axis of rotation is free to assume any orientation. When rotating, the orientation of this axis is unaffected by tilting or rotation of the mounting, according to the conservation of angular momentum.”
This is why a 2 stroke feels lighter - less gyroscopic effect, same for 250F v.s. 450F. And go ride an ebike, almost zero gyro.
Every time we lean into a corner we are fighting these gyro forces created by the moving and spinning parts in the engine. The more massive the parts the more we feel it (also the location). If there were a way to uncouple the engine from the frame we wouldn’t feel these forces. Think of holding a gyro and rotating the mounting - a real gyro with the mount uncoupled. The gyro will hold its orientation. If it’s coupled (like a toy gyro) you will feel the very strong resistance.
The best (and coolest) way to feel Gyro effect is to take a bicycle wheel with the threaded stubs on each side of the wheel. Hold on to each stub and have someone spin the tire while holding the wheel vertical. Then while the tire is spinning and you are holding it by the stubs, turn the wheel horizontal. Then turn it the other direction, horizontally. You can feel gyro. Then to do something really cool, sit in an office chair or any chair that can rotate and do the same thing. As you turn the wheel from vertical to horizontal it will start to spin you in the chair. Then as you flip it to the other horizontal direction, it will start to spin you the other direction. Science is fun.
3/31/2018 4:48pm
I had two 08 crf450s, both fully set up with ohlins. Then got a 12 crf450 and that absolutely knocked the spots off the 08. The...
H4L wrote:
The 09-12 do like a bit more sag due to the chassis design. The 10 had FC suspension with the rear shock modified to their specs...
The 09-12 do like a bit more sag due to the chassis design. The 10 had FC suspension with the rear shock modified to their specs ( shortened internally). I ran between 106-108 seemed to be the sweet spot for me & it handled as good as the 05-08 models, but turned much better in comparison. The 09 + do feel smaller like my CR250 2 stroke, but with a heavier feel due the bigger engine rotating mass.
I picked up a 09 Crf450r cheap that needs work. I've had 3 of them this would be my 4th. I always liked these bikes. Any left over parts from your 09-12 era?
Friend of mine has a kawi 07 450 that feels a lot faster than my hondas. I had one before too that had port work and it was a hand full to ride due to the power.
H4L
3/31/2018 9:47pm
I picked up a 09 Crf450r cheap that needs work. I've had 3 of them this would be my 4th. I always liked these bikes. Any...
I picked up a 09 Crf450r cheap that needs work. I've had 3 of them this would be my 4th. I always liked these bikes. Any left over parts from your 09-12 era?
Friend of mine has a kawi 07 450 that feels a lot faster than my hondas. I had one before too that had port work and it was a hand full to ride due to the power.
Sorry - sold off all the parts I had for the 09-10 bikes. Yep. The fastest 450 I've ridden was an 11 CRF450r with a full Yosh stage 3 engine package that was putting out about 62 HP.. It also had FC suspension, that's what really sold me on these models.
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/1/2018 8:19am
mark_swart wrote:
I had to be honest with myself this year as well. I was on 450s for years, then dropped to a 125 last season on sort...
I had to be honest with myself this year as well. I was on 450s for years, then dropped to a 125 last season on sort of a whim. It was a blast, and what I really loved is that I knocked out some really long motos at a consistent pace without getting tired. Like... I did a 30 minute moto by accident! End of the season I bought a '17 TC 250 hoping to keep the two stroke vibe alive. Didn't like the power delivery (fun to ride, hard to race, too much hit and power for me to ride the way I rode the 125), so I bought a 17 YZ 250F. I never wanted anything to do with a 250F in the past, but after a year on the 125 and a test spin on a modern 250F, I realized that the "right" amount of power for me was in the 40-45 hp range. No need to carry the extra weight and rotating mass of a 450 if the 250F is giving me the right amount of power for my skill level. I've put 9 hours on the bike and love it so far. And for me, it's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a faster bike slow.
That’s Cool
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/1/2018 8:21am
TbonesPop wrote:
The best (and coolest) way to feel Gyro effect is to take a bicycle wheel with the threaded stubs on each side of the wheel. Hold...
The best (and coolest) way to feel Gyro effect is to take a bicycle wheel with the threaded stubs on each side of the wheel. Hold on to each stub and have someone spin the tire while holding the wheel vertical. Then while the tire is spinning and you are holding it by the stubs, turn the wheel horizontal. Then turn it the other direction, horizontally. You can feel gyro. Then to do something really cool, sit in an office chair or any chair that can rotate and do the same thing. As you turn the wheel from vertical to horizontal it will start to spin you in the chair. Then as you flip it to the other horizontal direction, it will start to spin you the other direction. Science is fun.
Cool also

Post a reply to: New 450 weight.

The Latest