It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

DPW
2/3/2017 2:58pm
bayodome wrote:
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/03/173675/s1200_suzuki_mxgp_presentationrmz450ws4.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/content/common/vr/yz450f/2017/3/zoomimages/17YFZ450F_blue_1500-01.jpg[/img]
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing.

fox1nz wrote:
Bloody identical !!
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Like I said earlier, its a YamaHonZuki
Yeap you're right ...both have black rims....identical
gb4mx
2/3/2017 3:14pm
Negative Nellies.......go to a different forum topic. QYB and move on.
mx836
2/3/2017 3:24pm
[b]Just a Question[/b]: What if Zook just kept making the old 2008+ style model and charged 2-3K less than their competitors? Throw on some cheapo Chinese...
Just a Question: What if Zook just kept making the old 2008+ style model and charged 2-3K less than their competitors? Throw on some cheapo Chinese tires, steel bars, crap bodywork, maybe even a carb... whatever.

I mean, clearly Suzuki was not intentionally positioning themselves as a value option, but still enough people here at Vital (and elsewhere) have bought RMZs based solely on the idea that the raw platform itself is competitive while offering steep dealer discounts..

So, would the market be bigger, less, or the same for that model if Suzuki just focused on positioning themselves as a value-oriented race branding and took some of that pricing burden off the dealers?
I think people bought those bike because they are competitive with the other brands at a lower price. Take away what makes it equal with the others and the desire to purchase it will be gone IMO.
Bruce372
2/3/2017 3:25pm
Rotaholic wrote:
I wonder which parts will swap over from the older gen. It will be cool to see what parts JGR make for this, they have already...
I wonder which parts will swap over from the older gen. It will be cool to see what parts JGR make for this, they have already started making some pretty cool stuff for the current rmz
By the looks of it, quite a few!

The Shop

2/3/2017 3:26pm
braaap707 wrote:
Good looking bike. Looks very minimalistic and modern like the Honda, KTM and Kawi. Can't wait to see it in action. Wonder what it will come...
Good looking bike. Looks very minimalistic and modern like the Honda, KTM and Kawi. Can't wait to see it in action. Wonder what it will come through the production line with for suspension. KYB or Showa, air or spring. Last RMZ450 i had was an 07 with the 4 speed. Loved that thing
mx836 wrote:
Don't know why they ever went away from the 4 speed. Wish my current bike had a 4 speed.
Motofinne wrote:
The European version of the KTM 450 has the 4 speed gear box, way better than 5 speed!
Yup, love mine for that among other reasons
mx836
2/3/2017 3:29pm
Ok price out their crank for a 450 and bearings. Valves, crank, pistons, gaskets and lower end bearings are what is mostly bought. Double the price...
Ok price out their crank for a 450 and bearings. Valves, crank, pistons, gaskets and lower end bearings are what is mostly bought. Double the price easy over a yamaha. Fn camchain is 50 bucks!!

If you love suzukis then great. I just think the prices are rediculously priced.
If you love Yamaha, great! Tongue I said that the parts can cost more in some instances. Probably more than not! I've seen certain Suzuki parts cheaper than other mfg's as well. Not going to waste time looking up prices. How many OEM parts do you need to purchase for your bikes? Almost never is the answer for me. If it wasn't for a random bolt or broken sub frame, I'd never buy anything from them!
BobPA
2/3/2017 3:36pm
mx836 wrote:
Don't know why they ever went away from the 4 speed. Wish my current bike had a 4 speed.
Motofinne wrote:
The European version of the KTM 450 has the 4 speed gear box, way better than 5 speed!
Yup, love mine for that among other reasons
I don't understand why you are praising the 4 speed so much? From what I gather the US bikes have the same gear ratios with an added 5th gear. So it is like having a four speed, but with the benefit of being able to cruise faster in between trails. My original KX 450 was a four speed and I did not notice any difference?
mx836
2/3/2017 3:42pm
seth505 wrote:
Don't go there, I compared actual part costs and showed that KTM and Suzuki weren't the most expensive across the board and got called a fan...
Don't go there, I compared actual part costs and showed that KTM and Suzuki weren't the most expensive across the board and got called a fan boy in another thread.
Fanboy of both brands, are you? Laughing When you have no brains or argument, fanboy is the easy go to.
tylermx967
2/3/2017 4:13pm
WOW THIS NEW SUSZUKI LOOK LIKE ANUTHER GOOD BIKE! I THINK IT KEEP TO BE THE FASTIST BIKE THATS AT THE RACES
TXDirt
2/3/2017 4:22pm
Bike looks great. Will wait to see ful specs on changes. Would look lit with blue hubs!!
mx836
2/3/2017 4:28pm
bayodome wrote:
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/03/173675/s1200_suzuki_mxgp_presentationrmz450ws4.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/content/common/vr/yz450f/2017/3/zoomimages/17YFZ450F_blue_1500-01.jpg[/img]
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing.

Looks like a dirt bike to me.

If anything, I think it takes design cues from the two previous generation RMZ's. Shroud looks like a modernized version of the first gen. Side number plate takes cues from that bike as well. I didn't get a great look at the front fender, but it seems to share a similar shape to the rear fender of the first gen also.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
2/3/2017 4:30pm
mxman wrote:
Not sure the excitement. Doesn't look any different to me other than new graphics.
Are you a Suzuki Rider? It looks like a totally different frame and swing arm, which these two things alone can drastically change how a bike feels and functions. There are always changes that you can't see just looking at pictures - suspension internals, engine internals, etc. The current model Zooks are heavy to lift, but they don't feel "heavy" - more accurately they feel more like a "big bike" to me as opposed to being heavy versus light. The top things to change to get that lighter/smaller/tighter feel would be frame geometry and suspension. Were you expecting a 2010 YZ450 type of "new release"? I'll bet there are a lot more changes on the bike than meets the initial eye test. Not every mfr is going to do what Yamaha did in 2010. The current model Zooks are really solid platforms for riders to work off of right now. I would hope they continued with that.
cappelmans
2/3/2017 4:41pm
I like it! Looks really good and light. The '17 Honda looks more modern though.
Bruce372
2/3/2017 4:44pm
mxman wrote:
Not sure the excitement. Doesn't look any different to me other than new graphics.
TbonesPop wrote:
Are you a Suzuki Rider? It looks like a totally different frame and swing arm, which these two things alone can drastically change how a bike...
Are you a Suzuki Rider? It looks like a totally different frame and swing arm, which these two things alone can drastically change how a bike feels and functions. There are always changes that you can't see just looking at pictures - suspension internals, engine internals, etc. The current model Zooks are heavy to lift, but they don't feel "heavy" - more accurately they feel more like a "big bike" to me as opposed to being heavy versus light. The top things to change to get that lighter/smaller/tighter feel would be frame geometry and suspension. Were you expecting a 2010 YZ450 type of "new release"? I'll bet there are a lot more changes on the bike than meets the initial eye test. Not every mfr is going to do what Yamaha did in 2010. The current model Zooks are really solid platforms for riders to work off of right now. I would hope they continued with that.
Dude, if the engine and wheels are the same as the old bike, it's gonna need a really thin frame to drop 15 lbs.

I've had 2 rmz450s so I know they are great bikes, but if you feel it's not heavy, go ride a KTM....sorry, but my husky doesn't feel any heavier than my rm125....the rmz, not so much Smile
Jmicmoto13
2/3/2017 4:45pm
tylermx967 wrote:
WOW THIS NEW SUSZUKI LOOK LIKE ANUTHER GOOD BIKE! I THINK IT KEEP TO BE THE FASTIST BIKE THATS AT THE RACES
Yo Tyler! Long time no see!? Where ya been mate?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
2/3/2017 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 4:55pm
mxman wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
Are you a Suzuki Rider? It looks like a totally different frame and swing arm, which these two things alone can drastically change how a bike...
Bruce372 wrote:
Dude, if the engine and wheels are the same as the old bike, it's gonna need a really thin frame to drop 15 lbs. I've had...
Dude, if the engine and wheels are the same as the old bike, it's gonna need a really thin frame to drop 15 lbs.

I've had 2 rmz450s so I know they are great bikes, but if you feel it's not heavy, go ride a KTM....sorry, but my husky doesn't feel any heavier than my rm125....the rmz, not so much Smile
No, the bike doesn't feel heavy to me but where I'm from we don't even have gates for our fences used to keep the cattle in, we just lifted them over the fenceSmile

I've ridden the new KTMs, I just can't get used to the feel of the bikes. I know the Husky's and KTMs are really nice bikes, I just have a hard time with how they feel. To each their own. I like the bigger bike and to me, it doesn't feel heavy. It feels "bigger" but not "heavy". Just personal preference. Again, I'm not a small guy and I lift weights a lot (have all my life). 15 lbs means nothing to me. Honestly, I'd be a better rider if "I" lost 15 lbs as opposed to my RMZ losing 15 lbs.
mx836
2/3/2017 5:19pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Dude, if the engine and wheels are the same as the old bike, it's gonna need a really thin frame to drop 15 lbs. I've had...

Who said the engine and the wheels are the same? Wait and see. Engine could have totally different internals. One thing that's pretty easy to notice is how much smaller the frame is in general on the RMZ. Look at the engine compartment on the YZF in comparison. A lot more material there.
Bruce372
2/3/2017 5:34pm
Bruce372 wrote:

mx836 wrote:
Who said the engine and the wheels are the same? Wait and see. Engine could have totally different internals. One thing that's pretty easy to notice...
Who said the engine and the wheels are the same? Wait and see. Engine could have totally different internals. One thing that's pretty easy to notice is how much smaller the frame is in general on the RMZ. Look at the engine compartment on the YZF in comparison. A lot more material there.
The engines look very, very similar! Smile
2/3/2017 6:50pm
I rode all the bikes. The honda is the ticket. Good bike. Light not too small feeling. Suzuki was good except the forks and high speed twitchyness. I hope they fix that crappy fork
2/3/2017 7:45pm
if Suzuki is able to keep the bike at the same cost as they are now and shave of a few pounds this bike is going to get sold like hot buns, i heard of people that already put down a deposit for the new bike yesterday. Yes some europeans are crazy mofo's
2/3/2017 8:31pm
I want to feel the handling for one of these suzuki dream machines. I've always ridden yamahas tanks that can't stay in a ruts to save their life, but I think ill try a 15 rmz. This new bike should help drop the price.
kkawboy14
2/3/2017 8:33pm
Kx125rider wrote:
I can't decide whether I love or hate it.
Well I'm a Kawasaki guy also and I would say I love it! The thing looks factory/showroom!
Bruce372
2/3/2017 8:38pm
I want to feel the handling for one of these suzuki dream machines. I've always ridden yamahas tanks that can't stay in a ruts to save...
I want to feel the handling for one of these suzuki dream machines. I've always ridden yamahas tanks that can't stay in a ruts to save their life, but I think ill try a 15 rmz. This new bike should help drop the price.
If you are close to nor cal, I can help you live the dream.

2/3/2017 8:41pm
What i like the most about the suzuki is that any regular job can make his bike look like a factory machine for under 2K baring factory suspension which is unobtainable obviously,
Step one Buy bike, step two Buy graphics , step three Buy exhaust and clutch cover, Step four buy black rims, step five Ride the shit out of it and look fly for a white guy.

jonesaustin
2/3/2017 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 8:56pm
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically the same bike in look, because they used color schemes to make it appear to have more of a drastic plastic change (again, where the plastics mount to the bike is driven by the chassis) so kinda cheating. The shroud is basically the same as before, and though I get heat for my emphasis on shroud design, the shroud tells you a LOT about how "different" the bike is. This RM is a microwaved version of what we've seen the last 10 years imo. Either the funds aren't there or the will isnt, or the designers aren't in place, but looks like, aside from Honda who stepped it up, the ball of evolution is firmly in the court of KTM and Husqvarna.

Bring back the works bikes, and rehire 70 year old HRC engineers to explain what radical means to the younger team. Break the mold, try wild ideas, push the envelope. The 1990 KX line was a great example of that kind of leap. Maybe those days are behind us now, as changes seem painfully incremental.
twotwosix
2/3/2017 9:04pm
^^^^^^^ That sure is a lot of assumptions for not having a production bike or any specs available yet.
2/3/2017 9:12pm
i've just talked to a friend that has a Suzuki shop and was at the unveil, according to his inside information the production bike should have E-start
kiwifan
2/3/2017 9:16pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
i've just talked to a friend that has a Suzuki shop and was at the unveil, according to his inside information the production bike should have...
i've just talked to a friend that has a Suzuki shop and was at the unveil, according to his inside information the production bike should have E-start
I wonder why the works GP bikes dont have it then
2/3/2017 9:28pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
What i like the most about the suzuki is that any regular job can make his bike look like a factory machine for under 2K baring...
What i like the most about the suzuki is that any regular job can make his bike look like a factory machine for under 2K baring factory suspension which is unobtainable obviously,
Step one Buy bike, step two Buy graphics , step three Buy exhaust and clutch cover, Step four buy black rims, step five Ride the shit out of it and look fly for a white guy.

I know, and don't even get me started on that fluorescent plastic!

Post a reply to: It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

The Latest