It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

2/4/2017 9:42am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 9:56am
BobPA wrote:
How is Akrapovic still in business? Their exhaust systems look like someone strapped a cruise ship to a dirt bike.
from what i understand, they are a good exhaust for performance. Plus they make all the carbon fibre bits now and all their stuff is expensive.

akrapovic system for a honda costs around £1100 and a Ti FMF system costs around £800

They also make exhaust systems for sports bikes, super cars and hyper cars with extortionate prices.

Price for a Gallardo LP 560-4 is $12000

Also the new Yoshi on the suzukisis massive.
2/4/2017 9:47am
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically...
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically the same bike in look, because they used color schemes to make it appear to have more of a drastic plastic change (again, where the plastics mount to the bike is driven by the chassis) so kinda cheating. The shroud is basically the same as before, and though I get heat for my emphasis on shroud design, the shroud tells you a LOT about how "different" the bike is. This RM is a microwaved version of what we've seen the last 10 years imo. Either the funds aren't there or the will isnt, or the designers aren't in place, but looks like, aside from Honda who stepped it up, the ball of evolution is firmly in the court of KTM and Husqvarna.

Bring back the works bikes, and rehire 70 year old HRC engineers to explain what radical means to the younger team. Break the mold, try wild ideas, push the envelope. The 1990 KX line was a great example of that kind of leap. Maybe those days are behind us now, as changes seem painfully incremental.
Bro the shrouds are clearly NARROWER than before, that should be the main concern when judging shrouds on a new bike.
BobPA
2/4/2017 10:10am
BobPA wrote:
How is Akrapovic still in business? Their exhaust systems look like someone strapped a cruise ship to a dirt bike.
Marc_Honda wrote:
from what i understand, they are a good exhaust for performance. Plus they make all the carbon fibre bits now and all their stuff is expensive...
from what i understand, they are a good exhaust for performance. Plus they make all the carbon fibre bits now and all their stuff is expensive.

akrapovic system for a honda costs around £1100 and a Ti FMF system costs around £800

They also make exhaust systems for sports bikes, super cars and hyper cars with extortionate prices.

I have seen some of their products on cars and the workmanship is excellent. I should have rephrased and asked how do they keep their dirt division profitable. Their sportbike exhausts are awesome, they just cost as much as my house.
2/4/2017 11:20am
BobPA wrote:
Marc_Honda wrote:
from what i understand, they are a good exhaust for performance. Plus they make all the carbon fibre bits now and all their stuff is expensive...

BobPA wrote:
I have seen some of their products on cars and the workmanship is excellent. I should have rephrased and asked how do they keep their dirt...
I have seen some of their products on cars and the workmanship is excellent. I should have rephrased and asked how do they keep their dirt division profitable. Their sportbike exhausts are awesome, they just cost as much as my house.
Ahh I see what you mean. I think their business is good because of the factory teams who use them.

Like KTM people see success and buy the products. Or they want to look like the factory equipment.

Monkey see monkey want haha

The Shop

NorcalVet
2/4/2017 5:52pm
flatout111 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/03/173682/s1200_16423066_1032168986927686_7260153445860542895_o.jpg[/img] Really sweet looking bike from overhead. Love the blue tank, seat and like the black rims over the yellow honestly.

Really sweet looking bike from overhead. Love the blue tank, seat and like the black rims over the yellow honestly.

.... I'm about 90% all in on the new '18 rmz (sorry I bleed yellow since my '77rm125)
(Need to know specs and if it has the magic button, then I'll be 99.9% in. I just pre-warned the wife and she gave me the WTF look-lol)

it'll be my last new bike. From this view it looks as narrow as my RM 250, and better then my last three rmz 450's.!!!
-If not I'll pick up a new left over 16-17. Add susp and similar graphics.... Cool

But it does remind me of the Teka/ GP bikes from 2005-2008
(Lt Blue, Med Blue, Dark blue, Red Graphics)

2/4/2017 9:16pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
To come back on the weight thing, It's only noticeable when you pick your bike up after a crash or when you put it on your...
To come back on the weight thing, It's only noticeable when you pick your bike up after a crash or when you put it on your stand, the majority of us don't really feel the difference when we are riding. Maybe some of us yes but the majority of people not. And thats just my opinion and i have ridden all brands out there except for the Husqvarna.
My new 14 rmz450 feels light as a feather in motion. It feels almost exactly like the 2000kx250 i just sold; not only in weight, but the way the shourds and seat felt as well. Its a confortable bike and I dont really notice the weight which was a pleasant surprize since MXA harps constantky about it.
JWACK
2/5/2017 9:00am
That swingarm! If you look close at the inside, it is welded horizontally along the top edge. I wonder if that will make it to production.? I like the new look.
NVA57
Fantasy
1742nd
2/5/2017 10:47am
This bike has a lot more potential with better looking graphics and color combo. The color scheme on this bike is a clusterfuck.. Yellow shroud going into a black seat going into a yellow rear fender.. - why not make the black part of the seat yellow also? Or the yellow piece of the shroud black? Speaking of black, making the black piece of the shroud yellow looks a lot better imo.

The gfx on the 250 look pretty good, why so bad on the 450?
David934
2/5/2017 11:02am
reded wrote:
Really big guy or really small bike?
Jasikonis is a big guy
HenryA
2/5/2017 11:43am
BobPA wrote:
Haha, it's just like the new Yoshimura system for the Suzukis. Looks absolutely ridiculous.
PRM31
2/6/2017 9:37am
The fact that the engine appears to have the same outline suggests it probably isn't much lighter. There are only so many ways to take weight off a bike, and the engine is a big one. Nice looking bike, but I don't see anything even moderately ground breaking.

As for weight, between the weight and engine inertia, the four strokes feel like boats. Anyone who says they can't feel the weight has never ridden a 125 2t.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/6/2017 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 2:27pm
PRM31 wrote:
The fact that the engine appears to have the same outline suggests it probably isn't much lighter. There are only so many ways to take weight...
The fact that the engine appears to have the same outline suggests it probably isn't much lighter. There are only so many ways to take weight off a bike, and the engine is a big one. Nice looking bike, but I don't see anything even moderately ground breaking.

As for weight, between the weight and engine inertia, the four strokes feel like boats. Anyone who says they can't feel the weight has never ridden a 125 2t.
Take a really close look at the swingarm pivot (brake side) and reconsider the whole groundbreaking part.

EDIT: Well, maybe that's just the pedal height adjuster and not something else....
David934
2/6/2017 11:47pm
BobPA wrote:
HenryA wrote:
Haha, it's just like the new Yoshimura system for the Suzukis. Looks absolutely ridiculous.
yes looks horrible
Sly_mx15
2/13/2017 7:49am

Hi guys, this is some photos of Kevin Strijbos new bike. I saw it yesterday in France at the MX inter of Lacapelle Marival. I saw on it a new plastic tank...
Crush
4/7/2017 7:07pm
I kinda don't get why they're persisting with DOHC... Surely if you're trying to lose a few pounds that's the logical place to start?
CASH476
4/7/2017 7:18pm
PRM31 wrote:
The fact that the engine appears to have the same outline suggests it probably isn't much lighter. There are only so many ways to take weight...

A 500cc two stroke also feels like a boat compared to a 125.
86honda
4/7/2017 8:50pm
You got me

Spagina767
4/7/2017 9:30pm
What I don't get, is how many of you are bitching about how nothing is revolutionary... When in reality, you'll probably get smoked just the same on a 2008 RMZ as you would on a 2018.

Let's face it. Since EFI, bikes haven't gotten that much better. Save for KTM, maybe, because their curve was late to peak.

It's so much about the rider anyway... Pick what you want, get it set up for you, and shut up and ride.

I have had 450's as new as 2014's, in 2015, and I am 100% certain that I am currently faster than I ever have been... While riding a 2006 YZ250 two stroke.

The bike is new, looks cool, be happy.
tombugg
4/8/2017 8:17am
Don't have the energy to read though all 12 pages... Bike looks great but.... E Start???
4/8/2017 9:04am
Spagina767 wrote:
What I don't get, is how many of you are bitching about how nothing is revolutionary... When in reality, you'll probably get smoked just the same...
What I don't get, is how many of you are bitching about how nothing is revolutionary... When in reality, you'll probably get smoked just the same on a 2008 RMZ as you would on a 2018.

Let's face it. Since EFI, bikes haven't gotten that much better. Save for KTM, maybe, because their curve was late to peak.

It's so much about the rider anyway... Pick what you want, get it set up for you, and shut up and ride.

I have had 450's as new as 2014's, in 2015, and I am 100% certain that I am currently faster than I ever have been... While riding a 2006 YZ250 two stroke.

Well, nothing really looks that new, except for the plastics, which all seem to have been copied on one bike or another...
Don't see anything exciting, unless you're a die hard Suz'fan...
Huh
mxb2
4/8/2017 9:06am
Wait 2 months, get a leftover 17 for a killer price.
4/8/2017 9:10am
Spagina767 wrote:
What I don't get, is how many of you are bitching about how nothing is revolutionary... When in reality, you'll probably get smoked just the same...

DRAGONBACK wrote:
Well, nothing really looks that new, except for the plastics, which all seem to have been copied on one bike or another... Don't see anything exciting...
Well, nothing really looks that new, except for the plastics, which all seem to have been copied on one bike or another...
Don't see anything exciting, unless you're a die hard Suz'fan...
Huh
everything is brand new buddy, not sure how you don't see that!
Superdave19
4/8/2017 9:21am
everything is brand new buddy, not sure how you don't see that!
Engine cases/cylinder look identical to the old one- Just sayin'..
Arni
4/8/2017 9:48am

Bruce372
4/8/2017 10:34am
Engine cases/cylinder look identical to the old one- Just sayin'..
Exactly

Post a reply to: It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

The Latest