It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

Moto810
2/3/2017 9:33pm
It looks like they made some nice changes and if they add E-start they will have a nice bike! Looking forward to the specs!
2/3/2017 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2017 9:44pm
I want to feel the handling for one of these suzuki dream machines. I've always ridden yamahas tanks that can't stay in a ruts to save...
I want to feel the handling for one of these suzuki dream machines. I've always ridden yamahas tanks that can't stay in a ruts to save their life, but I think ill try a 15 rmz. This new bike should help drop the price.
Bruce372 wrote:
If you are close to nor cal, I can help you live the dream. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/03/173836/s1200_20170107_114248.jpg[/img]
If you are close to nor cal, I can help you live the dream.

Haha I'm more socal, I'm in Anaheim now. They seemed to be priced pretty decently. I saw a 15 listed for 4800.
JW381
2/3/2017 9:44pm
I hate this thread. You guys are impossible. You literally know nothing about the bike other than how it looks, and you're condemning it. If we're just going off looks, it looks great. It looks like a stylish dirtbike drawing on many other popular aesthetics. Your desire for new and shiny is what is killing this sport at the grassroots level. I see a lot of guys at the track on these "new and shiny" bikes that putt around in 2nd gear, all the while some kid on a 10 year old 2 stroke rips everyone to shreds. Or, worse yet, someone on an RMZ450! Shocked
kiwifan
2/3/2017 10:13pm
JW381 wrote:
I hate this thread. You guys are impossible. You literally know nothing about the bike other than how it looks, and you're condemning it. If we're...
I hate this thread. You guys are impossible. You literally know nothing about the bike other than how it looks, and you're condemning it. If we're just going off looks, it looks great. It looks like a stylish dirtbike drawing on many other popular aesthetics. Your desire for new and shiny is what is killing this sport at the grassroots level. I see a lot of guys at the track on these "new and shiny" bikes that putt around in 2nd gear, all the while some kid on a 10 year old 2 stroke rips everyone to shreds. Or, worse yet, someone on an RMZ450! Shocked
so basically you only want a forum where everyone only says things you like?

The Shop

BobPA
2/3/2017 10:22pm
JW381 wrote:
I hate this thread. You guys are impossible. You literally know nothing about the bike other than how it looks, and you're condemning it. If we're...
kiwifan wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. Who cares if someone is slow and has a new bike. I never judge someone by their speed on a motorcycle. Talent is something you're born with, your attitude/ability to have fun on a bike you built or bought is what defines you.
jeffro503
2/3/2017 10:29pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
I dont know about you guys but i'm sold. It's by far the best looking bike out there imo.
Motofinne wrote:
I still think that the 2017 Husqvarna looks a tiny, tiny bit better(and it's bit unfair to compare since the RMZ is a factory bike) but...
I still think that the 2017 Husqvarna looks a tiny, tiny bit better(and it's bit unfair to compare since the RMZ is a factory bike) but other than that i agree.

Husqvarna and the 18 RMZ are the best looking bikes at the moment in my opinion.
Rowlands wrote:
Remeber this is the factory model so compare to factory bikes. Honda wins for me but I do really like this new Suzuki, be interesting to...
Remeber this is the factory model so compare to factory bikes.

Honda wins for me but I do really like this new Suzuki, be interesting to see the stocker.
I don't know the whole consensus of this bike in this thread....but man that is one sexy looking bike! Always loved the way those RMZ's felt too. Great bikes!
bvm111
2/3/2017 10:39pm
Seems pretty similar to me... maybe i havent really studied RMs enough to see the changes?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
2/3/2017 11:13pm
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically...
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically the same bike in look, because they used color schemes to make it appear to have more of a drastic plastic change (again, where the plastics mount to the bike is driven by the chassis) so kinda cheating. The shroud is basically the same as before, and though I get heat for my emphasis on shroud design, the shroud tells you a LOT about how "different" the bike is. This RM is a microwaved version of what we've seen the last 10 years imo. Either the funds aren't there or the will isnt, or the designers aren't in place, but looks like, aside from Honda who stepped it up, the ball of evolution is firmly in the court of KTM and Husqvarna.

Bring back the works bikes, and rehire 70 year old HRC engineers to explain what radical means to the younger team. Break the mold, try wild ideas, push the envelope. The 1990 KX line was a great example of that kind of leap. Maybe those days are behind us now, as changes seem painfully incremental.
Or there is no need to go all out with some radical design because the platform they have works, why change something drastically for the sake of change?

Maybe MX / SX bike have reached their potential for now withough going into new age materials that would force the cost of a bike up so much they we could not afford to ride them.

I just don't understand what some people are asking for, it is a dirt bike, there is only so many changes you can make to it.

It has two wheels, a frame, a motor and suspension.

The old platform just wont he American outdoor championship, it is more than capable so why go fucking with it from top to bottom.

Maybe the should hit up M2R and see if they have any of the old fins from the top of their helmets laying around, maybe Suzuki could pop them on the rear fender to keep people happy and give them the change they are looking for!
Crush
2/4/2017 12:59am
aaryn #234 wrote:
Or there is no need to go all out with some radical design because the platform they have works, why change something drastically for the sake...
Or there is no need to go all out with some radical design because the platform they have works, why change something drastically for the sake of change?

Maybe MX / SX bike have reached their potential for now withough going into new age materials that would force the cost of a bike up so much they we could not afford to ride them.

I just don't understand what some people are asking for, it is a dirt bike, there is only so many changes you can make to it.

The old platform just wont he American outdoor championship, it is more than capable so why go fucking with it from top to bottom.

Maybe the should hit up M2R and see if they have any of the old fins from the top of their helmets laying around, maybe Suzuki could pop them on the rear fender to keep people happy and give them the change they are looking for!
I kind of agree with Az...

Weight seems to be the new frontier... I still can't get over how good my brother's 11 RMZ450 handled... literally sticks to the fucking ground.

If it was 10kgs lighter and an easy to use bike, well, in terms of performance, what else?
tobz
2/4/2017 1:29am
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically...
I think the changes, at least aesthetically (which should follow how radical changes are to the chassis) are very, very minimal. Like, very minimal. It's basically the same bike in look, because they used color schemes to make it appear to have more of a drastic plastic change (again, where the plastics mount to the bike is driven by the chassis) so kinda cheating. The shroud is basically the same as before, and though I get heat for my emphasis on shroud design, the shroud tells you a LOT about how "different" the bike is. This RM is a microwaved version of what we've seen the last 10 years imo. Either the funds aren't there or the will isnt, or the designers aren't in place, but looks like, aside from Honda who stepped it up, the ball of evolution is firmly in the court of KTM and Husqvarna.

Bring back the works bikes, and rehire 70 year old HRC engineers to explain what radical means to the younger team. Break the mold, try wild ideas, push the envelope. The 1990 KX line was a great example of that kind of leap. Maybe those days are behind us now, as changes seem painfully incremental.
aaryn #234 wrote:
Or there is no need to go all out with some radical design because the platform they have works, why change something drastically for the sake...

Same thing was probably being said in the 90's.

Theres certainly room for progression, weightloss, suspension and other technological goodies are there. Ktm prove that.
2/4/2017 2:05am
The only change I am looking for as a 16' Suzuki RMZ450 owner with less tham 4 hours on it is for it to stay in 3rd gear when I put it there. Exceed 5k rpm in 2nd and shift to 3rd, and it will stay in 3rd 4 out 6 times. More success if you shift it immediately before gettting to the high revs, but shifting that quick means your not really even fully out of the rut/square edges yet usually. The 2 out of 6 times it doesn't stay in 3rd are the reason the bike I bought for a return to agressive moto is best kept in the woods. Im trying to find a fix for this if anyone is in the know thanks in advance. Weight of bike, no big deal, air fork, well I'll work with it just like the harsh shock. Handles pretty good, but not sinking money into this suspension until I know it will stay in 3rd gear. Anyone in the know?
mmcmx
2/4/2017 6:08am
The only change I am looking for as a 16' Suzuki RMZ450 owner with less tham 4 hours on it is for it to stay in...
The only change I am looking for as a 16' Suzuki RMZ450 owner with less tham 4 hours on it is for it to stay in 3rd gear when I put it there. Exceed 5k rpm in 2nd and shift to 3rd, and it will stay in 3rd 4 out 6 times. More success if you shift it immediately before gettting to the high revs, but shifting that quick means your not really even fully out of the rut/square edges yet usually. The 2 out of 6 times it doesn't stay in 3rd are the reason the bike I bought for a return to agressive moto is best kept in the woods. Im trying to find a fix for this if anyone is in the know thanks in advance. Weight of bike, no big deal, air fork, well I'll work with it just like the harsh shock. Handles pretty good, but not sinking money into this suspension until I know it will stay in 3rd gear. Anyone in the know?
Add a tooth, turn in 3rd.
2/4/2017 6:22am
The only change I am looking for as a 16' Suzuki RMZ450 owner with less tham 4 hours on it is for it to stay in...
mmcmx wrote:
Add a tooth, turn in 3rd.
I think Ill add 6 teeth run it in 5th and sell the rest of the gears on ebay.
Bruce372
2/4/2017 6:39am
Buy a different shifter. I used to run the 2007 shifter on my 2009 and it fixed that
2/4/2017 6:58am
bayodome wrote:
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/03/173675/s1200_suzuki_mxgp_presentationrmz450ws4.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/content/common/vr/yz450f/2017/3/zoomimages/17YFZ450F_blue_1500-01.jpg[/img]
Yep... looks a lot like the Yamaha, which isn't a bad thing.

You think ? I dont think they look alike at all. lol
JW381
2/4/2017 8:01am
JW381 wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
Bullshit, I'm fine with people being critical of things. But so many in this thread are making some crazy assumptions without knowing a single thing about the actual bike. I'm critical of motorcycles, I think the YZFs have bad ergos and don't turn, I don't care for the look of the kawis, I hate the Honda dual pipes. It's simply ridiculous to make so many conclusions with so little info.
2/4/2017 8:02am
RPM68 wrote:
Didn't Grant Langston switch to the 08 YZ at Southwick in 07? Villopoto the 12 model at Unadilla in 11?
ML512 wrote:
For the US the bikes have to be homologated, which in those two cases there were enough bikes in the country that it was legal. For...
For the US the bikes have to be homologated, which in those two cases there were enough bikes in the country that it was legal. For the GPs there is no such rule, meaning they can race them all season long, regardless of production numbers.
What about when the VillaPatty the ginger was riding the 2012 Kawasaki in 2011? "The new frame"? Can't Ricky ask for the same #AMAexemption?
reded
2/4/2017 8:04am
Really big guy or really small bike?
2/4/2017 8:09am
I honestly don't know what everyone is whining about. Everyone said Suzuki needed a new bike. Honestly the nationals last year proved that wrong. Sure they could lose some weight but the rmz is a great bike already. And if you ask me I think the new bike looks drastically different.
2/4/2017 8:12am
i think there should be more brands that produce a 350, these bikes are more than plenty for everyone
51xc
2/4/2017 8:12am
reded wrote:
196 cm and 96kg I guess he's big.
2/4/2017 8:17am
To come back on the weight thing, It's only noticeable when you pick your bike up after a crash or when you put it on your stand, the majority of us don't really feel the difference when we are riding. Maybe some of us yes but the majority of people not. And thats just my opinion and i have ridden all brands out there except for the Husqvarna.
mxb2
2/4/2017 8:42am
reded wrote:
He is 6 4.
Bearuno
2/4/2017 8:50am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 8:50am
I see a totally different frame, and a quite different engine. Not to mention body work.

Yet, it appears some people here are saying it looks to be the same bike as current / older models.

Willfully blind, or not bothering to have a good look?
mmcmx
2/4/2017 9:12am
I think Ill add 6 teeth run it in 5th and sell the rest of the gears on ebay.
That might work too Smile

Jokes aside, you souldn't need to change gears much on a 450. I'm on 3rd 90% of the time.
2/4/2017 9:32am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2017 9:33am
Some High Res photos to drool over and look at those little extra factory bits.

Right Click the photo, click open in new tab/window, then click the photo to see the full resolution.

BobPA
2/4/2017 9:38am
How is Akrapovic still in business? Their exhaust systems look like someone strapped a cruise ship to a dirt bike.

Post a reply to: It's Real! The New 2018 Suzuki RM-Z450

The Latest