New 2014 RMZ 450 vs New 2019 KX450 ?

Sluggo77
Edited Date/Time 12/25/2018 10:23am
Hey everyone, a new old guy here, used to be "Karma" on here for 2-3 years. Place got kinda annoying but I guess just have to ignore the BS and enjoy the other aspects of Vital,
Anyhoo, I have decided to return to the sport this spring, on a 450. I love everything I see and hear about the new KX, but I also know of a 14 RMZ that is brand new, and way way cheaper. My question is, how much difference would there be between the 2? My thinking is that if I spend some $ to improve the Suzuki's forks, plus a bit of bling, I would be perfectly happy with the zuke? My rational is the the RM turns and handles great, has a pretty good motor, and the ergos are great too. Is there anything else besides the forks, and lack of E-start
that are of any note that would make the KX a way better choice?
I will be riding Vet over 50 class and used to be a fast local pro.
thanks
ps This will be my first 4 stroke.
|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/17/2018 7:42pm
I have a ‘14 RMZ and love it ! I did put a SHOWA A-Kit on it, but left the motor completely stock, with the exception of a Yosh exhaust.
I’ve owned ever brand, currently have 2- KTM’s and 2- Suzuki’s. I had the 14.5 and 15.5 KTM 450’s and while they were great bikes, I like my RMZ better.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
12/17/2018 7:52pm
Get the Suzuki, save a ton on price, plus use some of what you saved for bling/your riding season. Electric start I’m certain, but to me not the end all to be all. As far as performance, durability, ask yourself some honest questions.....
1. Can you on a performance standpoint utilize everything either 450 offers? (Not to insult, but I’m comfortably betting no....)
2. Will the E-start button alone decide what you pick? (You never mentioned price, but I’m betting it’s substantial. Is it really worth it that much to you?)
3. You named a handful of things you really liked about the Suzuki, all positives, meaning your right off the bat going with something you already like. Plus, it’s brand new..... Falling for a new latest greatest, that’s as simple as drinking someone else’s kool-aid.
4. Someone well respected in this sport told me 2 years ago a line about E-start I’ll never forget.....(Yes, it’s a selling point, but not necessary. We have it to help our guys get going quickly, period. At this level, time, and position, is money. Lots of it.....)
5. Which one will make you the happiest? It’s your cash, and that’s what matters most. With all that said, it just essentially depends on what you want to see every time you flip the lights on in your shop....
Good luck, be safe, have fun ?
loftyair
12/17/2018 7:54pm
You used to be quite fast. Not as much these days, but, I bet the difference in lap times is 1/2 second, probably more fun on the zook.

The Shop

Sluggo77
12/17/2018 7:55pm
dadofagun wrote:
Get the Suzuki, save a ton on price, plus use some of what you saved for bling/your riding season. Electric start I’m certain, but to me...
Get the Suzuki, save a ton on price, plus use some of what you saved for bling/your riding season. Electric start I’m certain, but to me not the end all to be all. As far as performance, durability, ask yourself some honest questions.....
1. Can you on a performance standpoint utilize everything either 450 offers? (Not to insult, but I’m comfortably betting no....)
2. Will the E-start button alone decide what you pick? (You never mentioned price, but I’m betting it’s substantial. Is it really worth it that much to you?)
3. You named a handful of things you really liked about the Suzuki, all positives, meaning your right off the bat going with something you already like. Plus, it’s brand new..... Falling for a new latest greatest, that’s as simple as drinking someone else’s kool-aid.
4. Someone well respected in this sport told me 2 years ago a line about E-start I’ll never forget.....(Yes, it’s a selling point, but not necessary. We have it to help our guys get going quickly, period. At this level, time, and position, is money. Lots of it.....)
5. Which one will make you the happiest? It’s your cash, and that’s what matters most. With all that said, it just essentially depends on what you want to see every time you flip the lights on in your shop....
Thanks! I appreciate your insights, all good.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
12/17/2018 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 8:22pm
dadofagun wrote:
Get the Suzuki, save a ton on price, plus use some of what you saved for bling/your riding season. Electric start I’m certain, but to me...
Sluggo77 wrote:
Thanks! I appreciate your insights, all good.
No problem, just enjoy yourself! No matter which color you choose.....
On a side note, my Daddy said something at a race about a year ago that made me laugh.....
He’s 75, and overheard some guys beside him having the whole E start debate. He casually looked at both and said....
“Boys, listen. This isn’t that difficult . If you think you really need electric start, and you’re not doing this for a living, you’re one of a handful of things....”
“A wimp, lazy, or old like me. I’m old, and that’s a badge I proudly wear. I sure as hell would hate to have to admit to the world I was one of the others.... especially if I was young like yourselves. If it’s too much trouble to kick it to life, you damn sure don’t need to be part of it, good chance it’s gonna knock you on your ass. I don’t see electric start on any of the Mini’s out here today....”. I just laughed ?
Sluggo77
12/17/2018 8:07pm
I would say Fun is pretty much the only focus at this stage. That being said, going as fast I am able to will still be a part of the equation. My mantra going in, is: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Focus on proper technique and be smooth and efficient as possible. Whatever speed I get from that will be fine with me. I can afford the all new fancy one, but if it's not really worth it, why do it is what I am thinking about.
The RMZ is $5,100 K. and the KX, around 11K
Moto520
12/17/2018 8:11pm
I had that Suzuki and i loved it. The motor is absolutely bulletproof. 60 hours in and nothing wore out. I now have the 2019 Kawi and that’s a great bike too. I’d go with the Suzuki because it’s just one of those bikes......fix the forks and enjoy. The motor is mild but plenty powerful.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3894th
12/17/2018 8:21pm
These dudes are nuts. You’re in your 50s going into your golden years, you can afford it. Treat yourself to the best motocross bike. The zook is 6 years old and probably got last place in every shootout back then. The new kawi is state of the art cutting edge. If you were a beginner I’d say doesn’t really matter. You were a pro you will appreciate the new Kawi. . It’s slick. There’s no way in hell I’d get the zook and neither would these guys if they could afford it. I call BS. Go green.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/17/2018 8:38pm
TogaSet wrote:
These dudes are nuts. You’re in your 50s going into your golden years, you can afford it. Treat yourself to the best motocross bike. The zook...
These dudes are nuts. You’re in your 50s going into your golden years, you can afford it. Treat yourself to the best motocross bike. The zook is 6 years old and probably got last place in every shootout back then. The new kawi is state of the art cutting edge. If you were a beginner I’d say doesn’t really matter. You were a pro you will appreciate the new Kawi. . It’s slick. There’s no way in hell I’d get the zook and neither would these guys if they could afford it. I call BS. Go green.
You are so right.... I so wish I could afford a new KX450. Dry
Rotaholic
12/17/2018 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 8:40pm
I have some ohlins inserts for those forks if you're interested
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
12/17/2018 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 8:51pm
TogaSet wrote:
These dudes are nuts. You’re in your 50s going into your golden years, you can afford it. Treat yourself to the best motocross bike. The zook...
Not starting an argument at all, but I’m far from
Nuts. Fun is what he is after, and I merely said that he had quoted positive things about the Suzuki that appealed to he. Is the Kawasaki more modern? Sure is! But, I can also read shootouts, and it’s cuttiing edge design didn’t win shit either..... Golden years? I’m certain the man has worked his entire life, so that’s why I said, pick whatever you want, just be safe, and have fun.
And yes, I can offord either one of the two......
Paying for a third year college student, plus a daughter fixing to start in June proves easily I can afford to buy a new motorcycle. I’ll be in my golden years here before too long, and I’m sure I’ll ask members here for new bike advice as well, once my kids are taken care of. But I have a good inclination to not bother yourself with any curiosities I may have........ Take care.
Moto520
12/17/2018 8:56pm
With money being no object.....obviously get the kawi
Sluggo77
12/17/2018 9:13pm
Moto520 wrote:
I had that Suzuki and i loved it. The motor is absolutely bulletproof. 60 hours in and nothing wore out. I now have the 2019 Kawi...
I had that Suzuki and i loved it. The motor is absolutely bulletproof. 60 hours in and nothing wore out. I now have the 2019 Kawi and that’s a great bike too. I’d go with the Suzuki because it’s just one of those bikes......fix the forks and enjoy. The motor is mild but plenty powerful.
Thanks.
..."it's just one of those bikes." Yeah this is what I have a feeling about with this bike. One of those meaning, really easy ride, which for me translates to fast and fun. It doesn't hurt that RC put a lot of input into this bike. He would know how to make a bike work well.
The Kawi sounds great too, and all that new bling, food for thought too.
Benihana225
12/17/2018 10:00pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
I would say Fun is pretty much the only focus at this stage. That being said, going as fast I am able to will still be...
I would say Fun is pretty much the only focus at this stage. That being said, going as fast I am able to will still be a part of the equation. My mantra going in, is: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Focus on proper technique and be smooth and efficient as possible. Whatever speed I get from that will be fine with me. I can afford the all new fancy one, but if it's not really worth it, why do it is what I am thinking about.
I don’t think $5,100 for a new 14 rmz is a good deal. I know of guys barely paying over that in 2014 for a 14 model (one was friends of the dealers and acutally paid less).

Now that the bike is 4-5 years outdated I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on that. With that being said I had a 2013 rmz 450 and I loved it. But it was heavy.

12/17/2018 10:32pm
After owning a 14 RMZ450 I would say you’re better off looking else where. Perhaps you will have better luck with the SFF fork but whenever mine wasn’t leaking oil from a blown seal, it was performing marginally.

I had it revalved by ProValve in Costa Mesa and eventually had RG3 put their patented smart valve in the fork but after all was said and done there was just no justifying throwing more money at something that didn’t work well.

What did work well on the bike was the chassis, the rear shock, and smooth power delivery. I can safely say my 18 fc350 is better in every way though.
mwr
12/17/2018 10:34pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
I would say Fun is pretty much the only focus at this stage. That being said, going as fast I am able to will still be...
I don’t think $5,100 for a new 14 rmz is a good deal. I know of guys barely paying over that in 2014 for a 14...
I don’t think $5,100 for a new 14 rmz is a good deal. I know of guys barely paying over that in 2014 for a 14 model (one was friends of the dealers and acutally paid less).

Now that the bike is 4-5 years outdated I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on that. With that being said I had a 2013 rmz 450 and I loved it. But it was heavy.

He is in Canada, and $5.1K CAD is only about $250 USD.
12/18/2018 3:25am
I went from a 15 Rmz to a 19 kawi. I’m 9mph faster through the rollers and my lap times dropped 2.5 seconds.
280driver
12/18/2018 3:38am
TogaSet wrote:
dadofagun wrote:
Not starting an argument at all, but I’m far from Nuts. Fun is what he is after, and I merely said that he had quoted positive...
Not starting an argument at all, but I’m far from
Nuts. Fun is what he is after, and I merely said that he had quoted positive things about the Suzuki that appealed to he. Is the Kawasaki more modern? Sure is! But, I can also read shootouts, and it’s cuttiing edge design didn’t win shit either..... Golden years? I’m certain the man has worked his entire life, so that’s why I said, pick whatever you want, just be safe, and have fun.
And yes, I can offord either one of the two......
Paying for a third year college student, plus a daughter fixing to start in June proves easily I can afford to buy a new motorcycle. I’ll be in my golden years here before too long, and I’m sure I’ll ask members here for new bike advice as well, once my kids are taken care of. But I have a good inclination to not bother yourself with any curiosities I may have........ Take care.
The KX450 won the majority of the shootouts this year.
yz133rider
12/18/2018 4:03am
Id go for the rmz with one caveat. Be absolutely willing to upgrade the forks. Ohlins, a-kit, conevalves, something. Dont screw around with the stock stuff and i think youll have the best experience.
JohnnyD13
12/18/2018 4:54am
I’m a vet myself. The reason I would go with Kx is how safe it is and feels. It doesn’t do anything weird. You won’t have to get used to it. And if everyone is saying the RM needs upgrades the second you get it, that’s just down time. That kx needs nothing. It’s also lighter then the rm. Just haveing a lighter feeling bike will be worth the extra money. I promise. It will perform better in every way.
JB 19
12/18/2018 4:59am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 5:01am
I had a 14 RMZ 450 with a Factory Connection revalve and it was a REALLY good bike. Handled awesome. Suspension was money. Smooth motor.

With that said, I wouldn't ride a new KX if you aren't prepared to buy one. I have an 18' Honda 450 and even though I don't care for the ridge chassis I know I wouldn't trade it for my old Suzuki.
kb228
12/18/2018 5:02am
Id be willing to bet that kawi will handle better than the zook out of the box. Its got hydro clutch, akit forks, better motor, estart. Well worth the money imo if you can swing it
yz133rider
12/18/2018 5:06am
kb228 wrote:
Id be willing to bet that kawi will handle better than the zook out of the box. Its got hydro clutch, akit forks, better motor, estart...
Id be willing to bet that kawi will handle better than the zook out of the box. Its got hydro clutch, akit forks, better motor, estart. Well worth the money imo if you can swing it
For 6k less in his case he can make the rmz exactly how he wants. Vortex, full exhaust, suspension, bars, levers, pegs and still be less than the kx.
JB 19
12/18/2018 5:26am
kb228 wrote:
Id be willing to bet that kawi will handle better than the zook out of the box. Its got hydro clutch, akit forks, better motor, estart...
yz133rider wrote:
For 6k less in his case he can make the rmz exactly how he wants. Vortex, full exhaust, suspension, bars, levers, pegs and still be less...
For 6k less in his case he can make the rmz exactly how he wants. Vortex, full exhaust, suspension, bars, levers, pegs and still be less than the kx.
And then the RMZ will still only be worth 3500$.....With all of the extra stuff. It's a terrible investment to buy old bikes and build them up with thousands of dollars worth of parts.
yz133rider
12/18/2018 5:31am
kb228 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
For 6k less in his case he can make the rmz exactly how he wants. Vortex, full exhaust, suspension, bars, levers, pegs and still be less...
JB 19 wrote:
And then the RMZ will still only be worth 3500$.....With all of the extra stuff. It's a terrible investment to buy old bikes and build them...
And then the RMZ will still only be worth 3500$.....With all of the extra stuff. It's a terrible investment to buy old bikes and build them up with thousands of dollars worth of parts.
Except you can sell that all seperately easily and for good money...
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/18/2018 6:04am
I just bought an 18 RMZ for $6,306 OTD. I'll spend at the most 2 grand on an Exhaust, HC piston, tune, a Link, and Revalved suspension, and I feel I'll have the best bike out there for me.. and still be under the total cost of every 2019 non Zook out there sitting on the showroom floor bone stock.
H4L
12/18/2018 6:23am
If your're leaning towards the RM I'd suggest looking at an 18 left over model instead. For a little more $ it will have the latest upgrades without the air forks. That being said the 19 Kawi sounds like a good bike from the showroom floor.
Kyle_McNab
12/18/2018 6:30am
H4L wrote:
If your're leaning towards the RM I'd suggest looking at an 18 left over model instead. For a little more $ it will have the latest...
If your're leaning towards the RM I'd suggest looking at an 18 left over model instead. For a little more $ it will have the latest upgrades without the air forks. That being said the 19 Kawi sounds like a good bike from the showroom floor.
Ya I agree you can still pick one up for atleast a grand cheaper. Once you get the suspension and link set up and exhaust your set. But those new 19 kx seems really good.
Ron_Shuler
12/18/2018 6:37am
TogaSet wrote:
I agree the new KX 450 is a really good bike that would be my choice between the 2

Post a reply to: New 2014 RMZ 450 vs New 2019 KX450 ?

The Latest