Never was a Cooper Webb fan, but....

hamncheeze
6/18/2020 10:41am
I was so impressed with Cooper last night. When Tomac got into third he just upped the tempo to pressure Zacho into a bobble, then put in some amazing laps to make sure Eli could not get to him. It was one of the best displays of a guy just being able to take his pace to another level.
level
6/18/2020 12:06pm
Just sucks he had that one dnf or he would be right in it.
6/18/2020 12:37pm
DeCoster's discerning eye was able to pick up on what no one else could! Crazy how he wanted to sign him!
2015 sx west champ- 6/8 wins 7 podiums
2016 sx west champ- 5/9 wins 7 podiums
2016 mx champ- 10/12 podiums 4 wins
I think he was always a champion and for whatever reason, I think that bike held him back big time. You don't just jump on a new bike and become the premier class champ, with or without Aldon in your corner. There is no denying the efficacy of Aldon's program, but I also believe a lot of his crazy reputation comes from the fact that he took on riders that were bound to be champions under any circumstance. Guess we'll never really know but that's my 0.02.
number six
6/18/2020 2:02pm
Becoming more a fan of Webb, albeit begrudingly ..
Eli was on a roll Wednesday, passing the best SX riders there are currently one after another.
Not inconsequentially ; Eli lives & trains at elevation, Webb at essentially sea level.
Webb got a clear track & wicked it up to stay clear of #3 for the win.
The guy's grit & desire, not to mention precision on an SX track & the ability to step it up when needed can't be denied.
He's hard earned everything he's accomplished & his attitude & approach seems to me to be similar to one of the most revered riders ever ; Bob Hannah.
Like him or no ; Webb's a badass.

The Shop

ob
6/18/2020 2:34pm
The guy definately has a lot of heart and determination. Plus the I don't give a F attitude, pretty gnarly.
deluxeman
6/18/2020 2:43pm
kpiper wrote:
What we are seeing in Webb right now is what DeCoster knew was there. Roger sure does have an eye for amazing talent even when it...
What we are seeing in Webb right now is what DeCoster knew was there. Roger sure does have an eye for amazing talent even when it is not really showing.

Remember, even Webb said he was surprised DeCoster wanted him at that moment in his career. The KTM bike has some to do with it but I think it is the whole KTM program with Aldon that has raised his performance so much.
Yeah, that Brock Tickle was sure a great sign for DeCoster. Trey Canard was a nothing burger on the KTM, Dean Wilson didn't do much on the KTM, or the white KTM for that matter. So Yes, he has picked some great ones, but not all of his picks are great.

Even a blind man could see that Webb was a warrior in the 250 class. His move to the Yamaha 450 is the same as everyone else's move to the Yamaha 450, an E ticket ride on the mid pack struggle bus. Barcia has had fleeting moments of speed on the YZ but they are just that fleeting.

And yes the KTM program is a huge part of his success.
gt80rider
6/18/2020 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 2:46pm
Not a fan either.... shows up some weekends, others he may as well have stayed home (Yami 450 days anyone?) ... Dude has raw speed.... He just isn't as strong mentally as an rc, mc, etc... If he ever gets his head fully together, he could be the guy... But he needs to do that soon... Too many Uber fast younger guys coming up that will have the raw speed to make his life miserable....
mxb2
6/18/2020 2:44pm
level wrote:
What if tomac got better starts?
kpiper
6/18/2020 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 2:55pm
deluxeman wrote:
Yeah, that Brock Tickle was sure a great sign for DeCoster. Trey Canard was a nothing burger on the KTM, Dean Wilson didn't do much on...
Yeah, that Brock Tickle was sure a great sign for DeCoster. Trey Canard was a nothing burger on the KTM, Dean Wilson didn't do much on the KTM, or the white KTM for that matter. So Yes, he has picked some great ones, but not all of his picks are great.

Even a blind man could see that Webb was a warrior in the 250 class. His move to the Yamaha 450 is the same as everyone else's move to the Yamaha 450, an E ticket ride on the mid pack struggle bus. Barcia has had fleeting moments of speed on the YZ but they are just that fleeting.

And yes the KTM program is a huge part of his success.
No one gets it right all the time. And Roger is smart enough to try and pick riders who have shown potential such as winning a championship or two already.

We never got to really see what Tickle might have become. Trey got hurt in the first practice of his first SX and Dean Wilson kept getting hurt if I recall.

Not getting hurt, for a period of years, is huge for these guys and their ability to win races and championships. The injuries set them back physically and mentally for a long time.
Scull79
6/18/2020 3:20pm
gt80rider wrote:
Not a fan either.... shows up some weekends, others he may as well have stayed home (Yami 450 days anyone?) ... Dude has raw speed.... He...
Not a fan either.... shows up some weekends, others he may as well have stayed home (Yami 450 days anyone?) ... Dude has raw speed.... He just isn't as strong mentally as an rc, mc, etc... If he ever gets his head fully together, he could be the guy... But he needs to do that soon... Too many Uber fast younger guys coming up that will have the raw speed to make his life miserable....
Really? Not strong mentally? Hmmm...
motomike137
6/18/2020 5:24pm
kpiper wrote:
What we are seeing in Webb right now is what DeCoster knew was there. Roger sure does have an eye for amazing talent even when it...
What we are seeing in Webb right now is what DeCoster knew was there. Roger sure does have an eye for amazing talent even when it is not really showing.

Remember, even Webb said he was surprised DeCoster wanted him at that moment in his career. The KTM bike has some to do with it but I think it is the whole KTM program with Aldon that has raised his performance so much.
Totally agree. Roger saw how Webb managed to dig deep in his 250 career and basically take command of the field. He won a couple of those championships with a wrist injury I believe. He does his best work in the second half of a lot of races which tells you how mentally tough the guy is. I've never not been a fan.
hamncheeze
6/18/2020 5:29pm
level wrote:
It wasn't a DNF. It was a triple crown so he got 12th overall and 11 points. That is 10 more than a true DNF and 22nd place.
kage173
6/18/2020 5:30pm
gt80rider wrote:
Not a fan either.... shows up some weekends, others he may as well have stayed home (Yami 450 days anyone?) ... Dude has raw speed.... He...
Like who? Ferrandis is the only one with the 250 stats that Coop has and they're about even on that end. Itll take DF a year before he contends for championships. Other than that who else? Sexton? Not even close to Webb and hes going to be on HRC.
yeroc281
6/18/2020 5:50pm
Never been a fan but I have to admit the change to Ktm and his program sure have helped his confidence and his will to get to the front. I think that “no one like a cocky rookie” but now that he has been in the premier class for a few years he really has the power to take over the series and be “the guy to beat”. It is hard to hate on any of these racers as hard as they train and as fast as they ride.
biscuit11
6/18/2020 6:59pm
Cooper is doing a good job of capitalizing on Eli being more points racing than wins racing I think if the points were closer Eli would have pushed the issue a bit more a couple of these Wednesday races. Only 1 goal for the #3 right now. That being said Cooper is always up there with those starts and his speed, just caught a bad break with his fall after somehow avoiding several close calls last season he was kinda due for one to get him honestly. But yeah he has a bright future ahead of him no doubt.

Post a reply to: Never was a Cooper Webb fan, but....

The Latest