Never seen a Flywheel do this before

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2020 9:23 AM

So I diagnosed a stator issue on my bike. I purchased a new one and went to install and found this mess. Just curious if anyone has ever had this happen before.

Photo
Photo

|

5/4/2020 9:26 AM

I had an ignition problem once that I could not figure out. Replaced stator and CDI but it didn't fix it. Then one day I happen to shake my flywheel and I heard something INSIDE of it jostling around. Replaced the flywheel and all was well again. Flywheels can fail apparently.

|

5/4/2020 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2020 9:31 AM

mreber17 wrote:

So I diagnosed a stator issue on my bike. I purchased a new one and went to install and found this mess. Just curious if ...more

Edit - am I looking at this correctly, did the actual flywheel itself come apart?
|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/4/2020 9:36 AM

Looks to me like the flywheel bolts backed off and the flywheel shucked around a while before the bolts broke off and caused this mess.

|

5/4/2020 9:39 AM

charlie68 wrote:

Looks to me like the flywheel bolts backed off and the flywheel shucked around a while before the bolts broke off and caused ...more

Exactly my sentiments.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

5/4/2020 10:31 AM

The bolts sheared off and some are stripped out. I never had this case cover off since purchase. I never thought something like this was even possible.

|

5/4/2020 10:56 AM

I had the Shift shaft selector arm bearing come apart on my 2014 YZ250F (common issue) and a ball from the ball bearing got lodged between my flywheel and stator and caused a similar mess, and actually locked up the bike. Sketchy.
Not saying thats what happened in your case, but just that things of that nature can happen.

|

Kawasaki, The Bike That Builds Champions
Pronouns: KX / KX-F