Never getting injured

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2020 7:31 PM

There’s a bunch of threads discussing injuries and it got me thinking, do you or anyone you know just never seem to get hurt riding? For me I always said it was “when” not “if” but I had a pretty good run before my most recent injury. Made it 30 years in between broken bones with just some sprains and soreness along way.

Shit, Maybe I wasn’t going fast enough...

|

12/11/2020 7:43 PM

Been riding 31 years and funny thing was about every 7th year I have had a big injury. ACL, 10 ribs and punctured lung, rotator cuff and pilon fracture. 4 injuries ~7 yrs apart.

|

12/11/2020 7:51 PM

Raced for 49 years. Never broke a bone. Rotator cuff playing Aussie rules is about all I carry. Rung my bell a couple of times though.

|

12/11/2020 8:34 PM

MC aside the broken bottle, heel thing or the KTM shopping cart debacle.

|

12/11/2020 8:57 PM

WowWowWubzy wrote:

Navicular

|

12/11/2020 9:06 PM

12 Concussions, 14 Trips to the Operating room, 26 broken bones, back and neck twice and head to re learn how to walk the second time, both knees, both shoulders, both femurs, collarbones blah blah blah. Accessed my fair share of our Canadian Healthcare. 27 years old. Wouldn’t change a damn thing, the best years of my life including meeting wife who I grew up with at the track. We have four children together who are all so wonderful. Sport took a lot of my bones but gave me a family! I loved TP199 and took it a little further than I should have 😂 Photo
Photo

|

12/11/2020 9:16 PM

Since switching to more single track riding I haven't really been hurt. I don't really light my hair on fire either, If I do race I just go to ride for the most part. Anything can happen though, In Idaho city I hit a tree and it rang my bell pretty good. I feel like this sport is a risk no matter what but you can take precautions to make it safer.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

12/11/2020 9:37 PM

I went 20 years with a broken wrist and a handful of ringing my bell. Not racing anymore and trying to take it easy and BAM! broke both feet and my neck... damn it

|

12/11/2020 9:51 PM

Helicopter ride out of Mojave in 95 changed everything for me. I had a truck that was concealed in the brush, pull out of nowhere and stop, blocking the entire road. I was wide open on a CR 250.

I just play ride, do single track, poker runs and Desert 100 in Washington these days. Haven’t been injured in several years fortunately.
I pay way more attention to my surroundings these days.

|

12/12/2020 12:10 AM

Been riding consistently for 4 years. Finally started to pick up some really good technique and with that... speed. Broke my elbow at the end of August coming up a little short scrubbing a medium size table. After 8 weeks, started riding again. Healthy for about a month the caught a good size rock with my front and flew off the bike and broke my shoulder blade in two spots. And it turns out after getting that shoulder blade xray, I found out I had broken my collar bone back in 2018 and didn't know it. I need a different bike, I think this one is trying to kill me.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

12/12/2020 12:19 AM

Collar bones don’t count.

|

12/12/2020 12:32 AM

WowWowWubzy wrote:

Sprew wrote:

Navicular

Wrist in 1998 too. "Few probably recall that in 1998 Jeremy McGrath was the 250 Nationals points leader after two rounds, while riding for Chaparral Yamaha. Then he was diagnosed with a broken wrist from a previous crash and dropped out of the outdoors to be ready to defend his AMA Supercross Championship the following year."

Listened to MXKied on the Whisky show. He really avoided injury for someone with so much success. Great show if you haven't listened.

|

12/12/2020 12:36 AM

Jeremy Seewer has never missed a GP in his career.

For me. Broke my wrists a few times when I rode 85’s and 125. Was relatively injury free since 2013, once had a compressed vertrebrae and now recovering from a broken scaphoid.

|

12/12/2020 2:17 AM

13 years pretty consistently riding and racing, only ever got a nasty cut on my hand.

Had some huge crashes obviously, but got away with all of it.

|

12/12/2020 2:18 AM

I had a good run as a kid. Road from 8 to 19 years old. Didn’t break anything until I Broke my leg when I was 19. Hung it up until I was 30. Broke wrist at 31.

I have some “rules” that I try to follow and I wasn’t following them that day I broke my wrist. I don’t just go out and dink around. I try to have something I’m focused on learning. When doing practice motos if my mind wonders to anything but riding I put the bike back in the garage. Don’t care how I’m riding or how I’m feeling once I lose focus it’s not worth the risk. Last but not least. I never take “one more lap” when I say that to myself I pull off and go home.

|

12/12/2020 3:57 AM

WowWowWubzy wrote:

Sprew wrote:

Navicular

And the SX only contract began.............

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

12/12/2020 3:58 AM

Riding since I was 12. One concussion, one broken hand, minor shoulder separation, minor ligament tear in my ankle. Nothing that has kept me off the bike for more than 6 weeks. I try to ride perfectly, not fast.

|

12/12/2020 4:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2020 5:00 AM

Never broke a bone (Fingers and toes don't count)
But both of my knees are trashed (I still blame Scott boots), had I think 4 surgeries on 'em.
Ankles suck in the morning like they're fused, but loosen up.
Many concussions, prolly have brain damage

I was a good crasher. I was famous for crashing!
"Hey look, Kimmey is here. He'll do really good or crash really good. Keep away from him"

Crashing is an art

and no bullshit, THERE IS a right way and a wrong way to crash. Learn to tuck and roll. Never bounce. Sudden stops are the worst. Tuck and roll. Learn to twist like a high diver...tuck and roll, tuck and roll

|

Make sure you downvote!

12/12/2020 5:03 AM

I feel pretty fortunate with injuries (knock on wood)

When i was 16 or 17, i clipped a tree, and the bars went into my liver. No puncture thankfully, but significant bruising and scabbing for the upcoming couple weeks. Left a scar and was bed ridden for 4 or 5 days.

18, while out in Moab, came around a wide open turn doing 40-45mph and caught a 1ft bolder in the middle of the tree tucked behind a little clump of grass. Went ass over tea kettle, bent both wheels on the bike. Ended up with a cracked helmet and my elbow swollen where it looked like i had a baseball attached. Turned out just filled with blood there and went down over time.

Now 30, over the summer brought my wife's bike and mine up to see her parents and took her dad riding. I gave him my enduro boots and wore my trial boots to ensure he didn't mess up his feet since he works on them all day. Clipped a fallen tree with my foot on a hill climb and sprained it. Still have some of the side affects 4.5 months later, but most days it no longer bothers me. Started riding again in mid October again with no issues, just trying to be careful for the time being.

Likely helps that i ride trails and trials only. Don't push myself, just try to maintain a decent pace, push myself to build technique here and there but not worried about doing the ride as fast as i can.

|

12/12/2020 5:56 AM

EngIceDave wrote:

Never broke a bone (Fingers and toes don't count)
But both of my knees are trashed (I still blame Scott boots), had I think 4 surgeries on 'em.
Ankles suck in the morning like they're fused, but loosen up.
Many concussions, prolly have brain damage

I was a good crasher. I was famous for crashing!
"Hey look, Kimmey is here. He'll do really good or crash really good. Keep away from him"

Crashing is an art

and no bullshit, THERE IS a right way and a wrong way to crash. Learn to tuck and roll. Never bounce. Sudden stops are the worst. Tuck and roll. Learn to twist like a high diver...tuck and roll, tuck and roll

"Prolly have brain damage" Ohhhh I'm right there with ya buddy lol. Way too many concussions. Other than that I've been pretty lucky, collarbone and trashed my shoulder. Also herniated a couple discs in my lower back but that was more of a re injury of an old weightlifting injury so like, lets not count it? I still get around pretty good, body just doesn't like the cold.

|

RPM Performance
CT

12/12/2020 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2020 6:17 AM

There's a lot of luck in avoiding injuries if you ride long enough. I've been injured 3 times in my adult riding years (25-45 yrs old). One was a mechanical failure, and another was landing on the bike of a downed rider on the backside of a blind downhill triple. Nothing I could really do in either instance.

Now in my youth I was constantly broken because my courage far exceeded my talent.

|

12/12/2020 6:23 AM

I have a different situation, I hardly ever fall or even tip over. I’ll go entire ride days without even tipping the bike over in a slow corner. I find that odd.

I’ll come close but I’ll save it. And yes I am riding my hardest not just cruising around. But the times I do go down about 75% of the time that’s when the injuries come.

|

12/12/2020 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2020 7:33 AM

brocster wrote:

Been riding 31 years and funny thing was about every 7th year I have had a big injury. ACL, 10 ribs and punctured lung, rotator cuff and pilon fracture. 4 injuries ~7 yrs apart.

This is me ! Every seven years and all but one in August. Guess what year this August was? Some how I missed a 180 corner and drove through the property fence at a race. Broke my jaw, fractured six vertebrae , broke one rib, brain bleed, injured artery in my neck and shoulder injury of some kind. Spent 12 days in hospital with 8 ICU. I get an MRI soon on my shoulder. Almost 4 months recovery is going good. So I am not one of the un injured riders! 99, 2006, 2013 and now 2020.

|

12/12/2020 8:04 AM

SKIDLID wrote:

This is me ! Every seven years and all but one in August. Guess what year this August was? Some how I missed a 180 corner and drove through the property fence at a race. Broke my jaw, fractured six vertebrae , broke one rib, brain bleed, injured artery in my neck and shoulder injury of some kind. Spent 12 days in hospital with 8 ICU. I get an MRI soon on my shoulder. Almost 4 months recovery is going good. So I am not one of the un injured riders! 99, 2006, 2013 and now 2020.

That is brutal! Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

|

12/12/2020 8:29 AM

duckdog77 wrote:

I had a good run as a kid. Road from 8 to 19 years old. Didn’t break anything until I Broke my leg when I was 19. Hung it up until I was 30. Broke wrist at 31.

I have some “rules” that I try to follow and I wasn’t following them that day I broke my wrist. I don’t just go out and dink around. I try to have something I’m focused on learning. When doing practice motos if my mind wonders to anything but riding I put the bike back in the garage. Don’t care how I’m riding or how I’m feeling once I lose focus it’s not worth the risk. Last but not least. I never take “one more lap” when I say that to myself I pull off and go home.

Oh yeah, the famous “one more lap”! It got my dad on two different occasions and I learned at about 9 years old not to take one more lap.

|

12/12/2020 8:51 AM

brocster wrote:

SKIDLID wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:

That is brutal! Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Thank you! Just need to stay positive, luckily my wife is great at helping me stay upbeat. I did take the bike down the road last week, what a great feeling that was! Hopefully things recover and I can return to riding.

|

12/12/2020 9:03 AM

Guys, a concussion IS an injury.....

|

Go Hawks!

12/12/2020 9:05 AM

Yep can’t check that box.Photo

|

12/12/2020 1:37 PM

The only time I've gotten hurt riding dirt bikes is when I was tired. I don't really ride anymore, but if I can stay in shape I can stay off the ground.

|

12/12/2020 1:46 PM

Never say "one more time" or "one more lap"

Just don't do it

Go home

|

Make sure you downvote!