Nerd's Column In RacerX

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
9/28/2009 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2009 2:47pm
JG2 wrote:
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever. The only...
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever.

The only friends I have who like them are musicians...who keep sayin' "But they have an awesome drummer & an awesome guitarist & blah blah balh".
You never heard of Aldo Nova? Wasn't Loverboy a Canadian Band? You must be Canadian trying to deflact attention from the true dregs of Canadian "rock."
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
9/28/2009 3:16pm
JG2, you do know that Red Barchetta was a futuristic song about the death of the two stroke mxer, right? Shame on you.

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside
croom mx
9/28/2009 3:41pm
Full Floater , Looks like you have good taste in Music!
JG2
9/28/2009 3:50pm
C'mon, even the above Rush lyrics are all !@#$ up and wander all over the place. Give me Summer of '69 (Bryan Adams) any day.

Sorry for sidetracking your thread boys, but he started it.

The Shop

gmoney
9/28/2009 4:39pm
McGrath's bday is Nov 19.
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Carmichael is Nov 27, not Dec
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31
Sept -- Doug Henry, Chuck Sun, Mark the Bomber Barnett. Oh yeah. And some dude named Bob Hannah.

Now tell me to STFU. I was an active member at MotoTalk until I wasn't. I'm back.

Late er
PD441
9/28/2009 4:42pm
Tragically Hip. Just sayin'.
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
9/28/2009 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:24am
right back at you croom mx! to bring it back to moto, this one was a warning about the future ama/jam vs. live nation debacle. too bad the ama didn't listen to rush. geddy is popular in columbus so not sure how they missed it.

Matthes
9/28/2009 5:57pm
PD441 wrote:
Tragically Hip. Just sayin'.
THE greatest band ever..in Vegas end of next month. Saw them 2 months ago in Hollywood and three times last tour in LA and Vegas. Just a little bit of a fan...
felpro
9/28/2009 6:05pm
This is all very interesting, can anyone direct me to a motocross forum ?
Cygnus
9/28/2009 6:06pm
It's a good thing I am not a mod.
09450f
9/28/2009 6:50pm
gmoney wrote:
McGrath's bday is Nov 19. Stewart is Dec 21 Pastrana is Oct 8 Joel Robert is Nov 23 Carmichael is Nov 27, not Dec Emig is...
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31
Sept -- Doug Henry, Chuck Sun, Mark the Bomber Barnett. Oh yeah. And some dude named Bob Hannah.

Now tell me to STFU. I was an active member at MotoTalk until I wasn't. I'm back.

Late er
there ya have it.. case closed
Devil1nNj
9/28/2009 6:52pm
gmoney wrote:
McGrath's bday is Nov 19. Stewart is Dec 21 Pastrana is Oct 8 Joel Robert is Nov 23 Carmichael is Nov 27, not Dec Emig is...
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31

Late er
STALKER?

No really what's Matt Walkers B-Day? Laughing
9/28/2009 6:57pm
Some top amateurs have BDs after October. How about Cooper Webb, Adam Cianciarulo, Dalton Myers and Zach Bell
DAG
9/28/2009 7:01pm
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31
Sept -- Doug Henry, Chuck Sun, Mark the Bomber Barnett. Oh yeah. And some dude named Bob Hannah

Definitely stacked outliers in the statistical sense. Maybe there is something to that book after all.

On the other topic....Northen Pikes,Glass Tiger and Platnium Blonde. Now that is some unkown Canadian bands.
DAG
9/28/2009 7:02pm
oh yeah..add in some Stomping Tom Conners "Sudbury Saturday Night"
9/28/2009 7:04pm
Best Canadian band ever..........

BLUE RODEO!
88sdad
9/28/2009 7:07pm
DAG wrote:
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31
Sept -- Doug Henry, Chuck Sun, Mark the Bomber Barnett. Oh yeah. And some dude named Bob Hannah

Definitely stacked outliers in the statistical sense. Maybe there is something to that book after all.

On the other topic....Northen Pikes,Glass Tiger and Platnium Blonde. Now that is some unkown Canadian bands.
Glass Tiger?

What about Rocky, Eye of the Tiger?
Nerd
9/29/2009 2:33am
JG2 wrote:
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players...
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players in Canada, soccer players in Europe & kids in school. There are advantages to being born early in the year for sure. I'm not sure if the book was credited (and sorry if it was) but it is a super interesting read for those who like to read more than MX mags.

As I recall there was some other interesting stuff in there like why Asian kids are better in math, why kids from higher income families TYPICALLY do better in school (and life), why Jewish people flourished in the US, and why certain countries airlines crash way more than others. It sounds like it might be boring as Hell (and almost racist - it wasn't) but it was a great book.

Apologies again if it was mentioned in the article.

SteveS wrote:
Nerd mentioned hockey in Canada, but didn't credit that book.
Actually, I did credit that book in the very first paragraph of the column.
500guy
9/29/2009 7:04am
I had no idea you were into Astrology
IntenseRider
9/29/2009 7:43am
My kids started racing BMX this summer and I learned that the on the day of your birthday, you move into the next age class. In other words, if you turn 8 on August 22, you now race the 8 yr old class until August 21 of the next year. I was actually kind of surprised because I was expecting something like moto (and many other sports) where your age class is determined by your age on a certain date.

I'm not sure if that type of system if better, but it does seem to take away the advantage for the Jan - Mar. birthdays.

Oh yea - I was watching some TV show last week and the intro music was a cover of Fantasy by Aldo Nova. Good stuff!
9/29/2009 8:25am
Cygnus wrote:
It's a good thing I am not a mod.
You handle is from a Rush song, right?

"Six stars of the Northern Cross" etc. Definitely one of the coolest basslines of all time.

Okay- enough about Rush. We have established that they rule.
SteveS
9/29/2009 9:21am
My kids started racing BMX this summer and I learned that the on the day of your birthday, you move into the next age class. In...
My kids started racing BMX this summer and I learned that the on the day of your birthday, you move into the next age class. In other words, if you turn 8 on August 22, you now race the 8 yr old class until August 21 of the next year. I was actually kind of surprised because I was expecting something like moto (and many other sports) where your age class is determined by your age on a certain date.

I'm not sure if that type of system if better, but it does seem to take away the advantage for the Jan - Mar. birthdays.

Oh yea - I was watching some TV show last week and the intro music was a cover of Fantasy by Aldo Nova. Good stuff!
That sounds like a rule that's meant to keep you with your school class.
croom mx
9/29/2009 10:57am
Rupert X wrote:
When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set...

When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the

purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set alight to the crystal

temples of the Bacon People, alarming the temptresses and the Argonauts, yet

drumming in a new beginning - and a new end - with the release and loud hatching

of the infant -prophet, PD441 - which sent a screeching signal to the ninety-six planets

of the Dark-sided kingdom of gloom and bakery products, bewitching the bird-like

androids into a frenzied Elaine Bennis dance, or until timed-practice was outlawed..

I like the part about the bakery products.
gmoney
9/29/2009 11:11am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:25am
gmoney wrote:
Stewart is Dec 21
Pastrana is Oct 8
Joel Robert is Nov 23
Emig is Dec 1
Bailey is Dec 31

Late er
Devil1nNj wrote:
STALKER?

No really what's Matt Walkers B-Day? Laughing
Negative, unless you call using my ability to read stalking. You ought to try it sometime.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod…
Killer Customz
9/29/2009 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:25am
Ive actually seen this work to an advantage in the youth classes. Especially the 50cc classes, but up to the 85's. I think that when kids are that young , an extra year of maturity makes a big deal. So a kid who races 50cc 4-6 at Loretta's, but his Birthday was Feb. 2nd or something early. he is racing as a 6 year old but has been 7 for some time. there really is a big diffrence in the brain, maturity and strength from those ages. One year can make a HUGE change in results.
I think once you get to big bikes though, most riders are on the same page.

If you look at the results from Loretta's I would bet that your 50,65,85 classes were won by kids that are aging into the next class. So say the kid that won the 65 7-9 class was most likely 10 at Lorettas and next year in the 10-11 class he will be 11 so not the youngest, but then can still ride that 10-11 class again for one more year but will be 12 and now has the upper hand again.

Sorry for my rambling!!! LOL
PD441
9/29/2009 12:40pm
Rupert X wrote:
When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set...

When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the

purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set alight to the crystal

temples of the Bacon People, alarming the temptresses and the Argonauts, yet

drumming in a new beginning - and a new end - with the release and loud hatching

of the infant -prophet, PD441 - which sent a screeching signal to the ninety-six planets

of the Dark-sided kingdom of gloom and bakery products, bewitching the bird-like

androids into a frenzied Elaine Bennis dance, or until timed-practice was outlawed..

croom mx wrote:
I like the part about the bakery products.
I was kinda intrigued by the alarmed temptresses myself.
Rupert X
9/29/2009 1:03pm

I like how people mentioned RC's "birthday" - like THAT guy was born on THIS

planet. Of our HUMAN system.

That's a laugh. Chuckle, snort.

I snicker convulsively, much like the vice-president of the Ricky Carmichael

fan club must be, as well.

Hehe. tee-hee. Harumph. Phhhffft.

Cough. Sigh.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
9/29/2009 2:18pm
Sabrina197 wrote:
Villopoto's birthday is August 13th.
Trust me, being born on that date has nothing to do with his speed on a dirtbike. If it did, my name would have been used as the guy that regularly beat Stanton, Emig, and McGrath.

In reality, my talent level on a dirtbike wouldn't allow me to hold one of their dirty MX socks.
Sabrina197
9/29/2009 3:30pm
Sabrina197 wrote:
Villopoto's birthday is August 13th.
Trust me, being born on that date has nothing to do with his speed on a dirtbike. If it did, my name would have been used...
Trust me, being born on that date has nothing to do with his speed on a dirtbike. If it did, my name would have been used as the guy that regularly beat Stanton, Emig, and McGrath.

In reality, my talent level on a dirtbike wouldn't allow me to hold one of their dirty MX socks.
Apparently August 13th was lucky for Ryan, but not for you. Wink

I realize that RV2's birthday has nothing to do with his speed. I'm just pointing out that Villopoto's success as a pro has more to do with his natural talent and work ethic than his birthday. Same with Carmichael, Stewart, Dungey, Pourcel, and other riders who have birthdays in the second half of the year but are still successful. Although having a birthday in January seems to provide a competitve advantage, it is certainly not the deciding factor in whether a rider will "make it" or not.

Post a reply to: Nerd's Column In RacerX

The Latest