Nerd's Column In RacerX

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:59pm
The most recent issue has a fine piece by Nerd regarding dates-of-birth and the

significance of those fortunate enough to have prime mx-birth-dates.

If I understand his conclusion, and I think I do -

Essentially, you are MUCH more likely to have an impressive motocross career,

if your birth-date happens to be in the early part of the year.

Intriguing .
|
PD441
9/28/2009 10:43am
Finally. Now I know what held me back.
Highsider
9/28/2009 10:54am
Rupert X wrote:
The most recent issue has a fine piece by Nerd regarding dates-of-birth and the significance of those fortunate enough to have prime mx-birth-dates. If I understand...
The most recent issue has a fine piece by Nerd regarding dates-of-birth and the

significance of those fortunate enough to have prime mx-birth-dates.

If I understand his conclusion, and I think I do -

Essentially, you are MUCH more likely to have an impressive motocross career,

if your birth-date happens to be in the early part of the year.

Intriguing .
So, as in conceived at Red Bud, Washougal, Millville, or at least by the Steel City finale?
Rupert X
9/28/2009 10:59am
PD441 wrote:

When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the

purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set alight to the crystal

temples of the Bacon People, alarming the temptresses and the Argonauts, yet

drumming in a new beginning - and a new end - with the release and loud hatching

of the infant -prophet, PD441 - which sent a screeching signal to the ninety-six planets

of the Dark-sided kingdom of gloom and bakery products, bewitching the bird-like

androids into a frenzied Elaine Bennis dance, or until timed-practice was outlawed..

croom mx
9/28/2009 11:28am
Has Nerd ever put a lap on a MX track?

The Shop

croom mx
9/28/2009 11:42am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2009 11:44am
PD441 wrote:
Rupert X wrote:
When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set...

When the fourth sun down from the Mercury pools of Nebulon shone down upon the

purple sky, the towers of the sand-people of Gremiron Five set alight to the crystal

temples of the Bacon People, alarming the temptresses and the Argonauts, yet

drumming in a new beginning - and a new end - with the release and loud hatching

of the infant -prophet, PD441 - which sent a screeching signal to the ninety-six planets

of the Dark-sided kingdom of gloom and bakery products, bewitching the bird-like

androids into a frenzied Elaine Bennis dance, or until timed-practice was outlawed..

Rupert you are quite the Poet! LOL
JG2
9/28/2009 11:43am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:24am
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players in Canada, soccer players in Europe & kids in school. There are advantages to being born early in the year for sure. I'm not sure if the book was credited (and sorry if it was) but it is a super interesting read for those who like to read more than MX mags.

As I recall there was some other interesting stuff in there like why Asian kids are better in math, why kids from higher income families TYPICALLY do better in school (and life), why Jewish people flourished in the US, and why certain countries airlines crash way more than others. It sounds like it might be boring as Hell (and almost racist - it wasn't) but it was a great book.

Apologies again if it was mentioned in the article.

Sabrina197
9/28/2009 12:13pm
JG2 wrote:
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players...
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players in Canada, soccer players in Europe & kids in school. There are advantages to being born early in the year for sure. I'm not sure if the book was credited (and sorry if it was) but it is a super interesting read for those who like to read more than MX mags.

As I recall there was some other interesting stuff in there like why Asian kids are better in math, why kids from higher income families TYPICALLY do better in school (and life), why Jewish people flourished in the US, and why certain countries airlines crash way more than others. It sounds like it might be boring as Hell (and almost racist - it wasn't) but it was a great book.

Yes, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell was mentioned in the first sentence of the article. That book is really interesting, and I wondered how the birthday theory applied to mx. Now I guess I know!

The book also explains how it takes about 10,000 hours of practice to truly master a skill. That's 20 hours of work a week for 10 years! Seems like a good reason to go riding more often...
Sabrina197
9/28/2009 12:26pm
Still doesn't explain why the hell red heads are so fast at moto.
Hahaha, must be something in their DNA.
Farva
9/28/2009 12:28pm
Sabrina197 wrote:
Hahaha, must be something in their DNA.
It wasn't because of the hard work it's because of the birth date.
9/28/2009 12:32pm
Growing up, I remember Aug. 1 was often the date used to determine your eligibility for certain sports. I had the luck of being born July 29, so I was always with older kids. When you grow a foot a year, it makes a difference.

My consolation was having the same birthday as Geddy Lee.

Loretta's eligibility is determined by your age as of Aug. 1 of that year. When I got older and tried to qualify for Loretta's it gave me an advantage, because it meant I could qualify for 40+ even though I was 39 right up until the nationals. (still haven't made it).
JW381
9/28/2009 12:34pm
Ricky Carmichael. DOB 11/27 Smile
rocrac
9/28/2009 12:37pm
AMA amateur rules dictate that your class for the season is predicated on your age as of January 1st. while kids born late in the year have to move up into older and more experience classes early year kids often get 1 more whole season to win titles and gain factory support. While this may seem trivial it's huge in the developmental years.
9/28/2009 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:24am
Red haired-people are supposedly more resistant to pain medication. They say red heads often fear the dentist.

So, red heads are better at motocross because they are more afraid of injury, so they crash less and practice more.

Elementary, Watson! You're welcome. Wink
JW381
9/28/2009 12:47pm
Sabrina197 wrote:
Villopoto's birthday is August 13th.
A day before mine (and Magic Johnsons's) Smile
09450f
9/28/2009 1:06pm
what was joel robert birthday/
SteveS
9/28/2009 1:23pm
JG2 wrote:
I haven't read that RacerX issue yet, but that theory was put forth in a book I read called "Outliers" as it related to hockey players...

Nerd mentioned hockey in Canada, but didn't credit that book.
JG2
9/28/2009 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:24am
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever.

The only friends I have who like them are musicians...who keep sayin' "But they have an awesome drummer & an awesome guitarist & blah blah balh".
croom mx
9/28/2009 1:49pm
JG2 wrote:
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever. The only...
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever.

The only friends I have who like them are musicians...who keep sayin' "But they have an awesome drummer & an awesome guitarist & blah blah balh".
I guess the young people dont like the band RUSH? I'll take them any day over rap or Hip drop.
crashomatic
9/28/2009 1:51pm
Having your kids in the Fall serves to the advantage in many ways. For tax purposes you could end up with an extra year of claiming the child..i.e. when the child turns 19 he/she can still be claimed b/c they were in school for the spring as a senior in highschool.

You could also have your kid fail multiple grades and claim them for additional years as well.

It also gives them an advantage in sports and academics because they are the oldest in their class.

If only I had failed kindergarten my life would have been so much better!
Rupert X
9/28/2009 2:07pm
Having your kids in the Fall serves to the advantage in many ways. For tax purposes you could end up with an extra year of claiming...
Having your kids in the Fall serves to the advantage in many ways. For tax purposes you could end up with an extra year of claiming the child..i.e. when the child turns 19 he/she can still be claimed b/c they were in school for the spring as a senior in highschool.

You could also have your kid fail multiple grades and claim them for additional years as well.

It also gives them an advantage in sports and academics because they are the oldest in their class.

If only I had failed kindergarten my life would have been so much better!

Not so fast, professor.

Having your kids in the fall means carrying around a baby dressed up like

a pumpkin on Halloween, dragging said baby to three Thanksgiving dinners and

then buying the infant-toddler a bunch of baby-bling for Christmas - so it all

boils down, much like the extra kidneys on random Indonesian marsupials.

Bowing now to generous applause and sporadic guffaws.
9/28/2009 2:09pm
JG2 wrote:
Moto East Mag, I don't know how having the same birthday as Geddy Lee is a good thing...Rush is the worst Canadian band ever. The only...

croom mx wrote:
I guess the young people dont like the band RUSH? I'll take them any day over rap or Hip drop.
Ya either love Rush or hate em.
But worse than Bryan Adams? Worse than Triumph? BTO? Kim Plainfield? Barenaked Ladies? Joni Mitchell? ANVIL?

Well, you still got Neil Young. I will give you that. and VoiVod.

(This thread took a left turn.)
Rupert X
9/28/2009 2:12pm
JG2 wrote:

croom mx wrote:
Ya either love Rush or hate em. But worse than Bryan Adams? Worse than Triumph? BTO? Kim Plainfield? Barenaked Ladies? Joni Mitchell? ANVIL? Well, you still...
But worse than Bryan Adams? Worse than Triumph? BTO? Kim Plainfield? Barenaked Ladies? Joni Mitchell? ANVIL?

How dare you leave out the ominous sounds of the " CRASH TEST DUMMIES"?

Once, there was a boy who.......
peelout719
9/28/2009 2:19pm
Ya either love Rush or hate em. But worse than Bryan Adams? Worse than Triumph? BTO? Kim Plainfield? Barenaked Ladies? Joni Mitchell? ANVIL? Well, you still...

i hope you don't consider celine dion decent.... ugh i just vomited in my mouth.

Post a reply to: Nerd's Column In RacerX

The Latest