Nelson using Rekluse

Moto75
Edited Date/Time 8/18/2014 5:27am
Just watching the 2nd moto & noticed it... Tip over in the corner, his hand clearly comes off the bar, the back tire is stopped, he stands up and gets right back on it.

Hadn't thought about it, but the Rekluse seems like a must have for mud racing. Watching Wiemer kick that bike over & over was painful, muddy boot must have weighed 20 - 30 pounds.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
8/17/2014 8:10am
Word on the street is that most pros/ teams use them secretly. Probably due to sponsorship through Hinson/other clutch companies that prevent it from being know.
smit9722
8/17/2014 8:14am
Most pros dont use them even the ones sponsored by them usually are using the manual rekluse clutch. Even in endurocross most are not using the autoclutch but the manual one. Cody even mentions that in his latest interview.
gpracer36
8/17/2014 8:18am
smit9722 wrote:
Most pros dont use them even the ones sponsored by them usually are using the manual rekluse clutch. Even in endurocross most are not using the...
Most pros dont use them even the ones sponsored by them usually are using the manual rekluse clutch. Even in endurocross most are not using the autoclutch but the manual one. Cody even mentions that in his latest interview.
this is correct, they use the manual Rekluse, not auto. Don't know why, but true
Moto75
8/17/2014 8:19am
MxKing809 wrote:
Word on the street is that most pros/ teams use them secretly. Probably due to sponsorship through Hinson/other clutch companies that prevent it from being know.
I have no idea how accurate that is... But, reviewing the Indiana crashes could give a good idea.

The Shop

JM485
8/17/2014 8:20am
smit9722 wrote:
Most pros dont use them even the ones sponsored by them usually are using the manual rekluse clutch. Even in endurocross most are not using the...
I'm pretty sure the majority of endurocross riders use the auto. There are a few like Mike Brown who use the manual, but the benefits of the auto are hard to ignore.
mx965
8/17/2014 8:22am
I agree with the above post seems like most would use the auto. Dont know much about them though.
smit9722
8/17/2014 8:32am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 8:32am
When I was doinging some mechanicing a couple years ago for an endurocross rider most werent using them but that could have changed now. I think the ones with trials backgrounds prefer the manual because they already have such good control of throttle and clutch. They do make a great manual clutch though.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/17/2014 8:33am
I keep hearing this comment. You just have to stand around between motos and watch the team's change clutches, you'll find very few running it. The raceteams do have a few small tricks to keeping their bikes alive during a crash or tip over. The most noteable is that they eliminate the "tip over" sensor that is on the bike stock (or glue them in place so they won't activate).
JA946
8/17/2014 8:59am
ML512 wrote:
I keep hearing this comment. You just have to stand around between motos and watch the team's change clutches, you'll find very few running it. The...
I keep hearing this comment. You just have to stand around between motos and watch the team's change clutches, you'll find very few running it. The raceteams do have a few small tricks to keeping their bikes alive during a crash or tip over. The most noteable is that they eliminate the "tip over" sensor that is on the bike stock (or glue them in place so they won't activate).
I think it was Jimmy Albertson that said the majority of people use the auto clutch in SX, but not in MX.

Other than that, I have no facts.

I will say, I want to try the auto clutch that doesn't ruin the lever feel. The one a buddy felt the lever was ROCK HARD.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/17/2014 11:44am
ML512 wrote:
I keep hearing this comment. You just have to stand around between motos and watch the team's change clutches, you'll find very few running it. The...
JA946 wrote:
I think it was Jimmy Albertson that said the majority of people use the auto clutch in SX, but not in MX. Other than that, I...
I think it was Jimmy Albertson that said the majority of people use the auto clutch in SX, but not in MX.

I will say, I want to try the auto clutch that doesn't ruin the lever feel. The one a buddy felt the lever was ROCK HARD.
Was it the EXP or Core EXP? We recentely did a comparison test on the Rekluse's clutches. The EXP (which uses just the disc) does produce a stiff feel. The Core EXP (disc, hub, pressure plate, etc) has a much more standard feel. Other than they both require almost no preload on the lever.
JA946
8/17/2014 11:47am
ML512 wrote:
JA946 wrote:
I think it was Jimmy Albertson that said the majority of people use the auto clutch in SX, but not in MX. Other than that, I...

ML512 wrote:
Was it the EXP or Core EXP? We recentely did a comparison test on the Rekluse's clutches. The EXP (which uses just the disc) does produce...
Was it the EXP or Core EXP? We recentely did a comparison test on the Rekluse's clutches. The EXP (which uses just the disc) does produce a stiff feel. The Core EXP (disc, hub, pressure plate, etc) has a much more standard feel. Other than they both require almost no preload on the lever.
I really wish I knew. I know nearly zero about them. I like the anti stall ability, but want an oem feeling lever. Which one of them does that?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/17/2014 12:26pm
JA946 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Was it the EXP or Core EXP? We recentely did a comparison test on the Rekluse's clutches. The EXP (which uses just the disc) does produce...
JA946 wrote:
I really wish I knew. I know nearly zero about them. I like the anti stall ability, but want an oem feeling lever. Which one of...
I really wish I knew. I know nearly zero about them. I like the anti stall ability, but want an oem feeling lever. Which one of them does that?
The EXP and Core EXP offer the anti-stall featue. The EXP is a cheaper option that just offers the bare minimum to use the EXP disc that controls that. The Core EXP is a full clutch system that offers the auto clutch features and keeps more of an oem feel.

http://www.vitalmx.com/product/feature/Tested-Rekluse-Clutch-Comparison…
mark_swart
8/17/2014 1:07pm
I thought about that too -- and the bike was tipped over in a left hander. I guess the other theory might be that the mud was so thick it grabbed the clutch lever and pulled it in? The back wheel definitely stopped.
hillbilly
8/17/2014 1:34pm
Looked like the yellow bucket pulled it in for him till the peg dug in and lifted the rear tire off the ground.

The tire turns again till the bar hits the ground disengaged the clutch again. Jessy grabs the lever before picking up.
Moto75
8/17/2014 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 4:17pm
mark_swart wrote:
I thought about that too -- and the bike was tipped over in a left hander. I guess the other theory might be that the mud...
I thought about that too -- and the bike was tipped over in a left hander. I guess the other theory might be that the mud was so thick it grabbed the clutch lever and pulled it in? The back wheel definitely stopped.
Hadn't thought of that, it's entirely possible - might have to re-watch it. Smile Either way, it sold me on rekluse for mud riding - starting a bike in the mud sucks.

Edit: Re-watched it, think you might be right.
Moto75
8/17/2014 4:03pm
hillbilly wrote:
Looked like the yellow bucket pulled it in for him till the peg dug in and lifted the rear tire off the ground. The tire turns...
Looked like the yellow bucket pulled it in for him till the peg dug in and lifted the rear tire off the ground.

The tire turns again till the bar hits the ground disengaged the clutch again. Jessy grabs the lever before picking up.
Lucky the 2nd moto was in HD, could see the knobbies stopped clear as day till he got back on the bike.
me_da_racer
8/17/2014 4:08pm
I got some reason though the AMA didn't let you run an auto. Guess I was wrong.
resetjet
8/17/2014 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2014 6:07pm
NO WAY.....I do not know of a single pro rider in any discipline, offroad, mx, enduro, gncc, etc that runs an auto clutch. They just don't hook up the way a manual does. Its that simple.

That being said, I have two of them on my bikes and swear by them. B-C riders dream.

As for not stalling, those bikes are fuel injected, you are thinking old school. Pull the clutch, pick it up and go to work.

Alot of pros run the rekluse manual clutch, which is a good clutch. Just because it has a rekluse cover, does not mean auto clutch.

JA946
8/17/2014 7:39pm
resetjet wrote:
NO WAY.....I do not know of a single pro rider in any discipline, offroad, mx, enduro, gncc, etc that runs an auto clutch. They just don't...
NO WAY.....I do not know of a single pro rider in any discipline, offroad, mx, enduro, gncc, etc that runs an auto clutch. They just don't hook up the way a manual does. Its that simple.

That being said, I have two of them on my bikes and swear by them. B-C riders dream.

As for not stalling, those bikes are fuel injected, you are thinking old school. Pull the clutch, pick it up and go to work.

Alot of pros run the rekluse manual clutch, which is a good clutch. Just because it has a rekluse cover, does not mean auto clutch.

Are you calling Colton and JCR liars for saying they run an auto clutch?
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/17/2014 7:47pm
For what it's worth, I rode a friends KTM EXC 500 for 20 miles of technical single track and never knew it had a core EXP clutch in it. It felt like the engine braking was less with the Rekluse, but other than that, it felt exactly the same to me. I'm getting one for my 500 and might even try it in my 450 for the track. I can't see it not bring an advantage....
8/17/2014 9:05pm
resetjet wrote:
NO WAY.....I do not know of a single pro rider in any discipline, offroad, mx, enduro, gncc, etc that runs an auto clutch. They just don't...

Jeez your far off on this one. I don't know about mx/sx but tons of pro offroad riders use the auto.
jock
Fantasy
1st
8/18/2014 3:01am
JA946 wrote:

ML512 wrote:
JA946 wrote:
I really wish I knew. I know nearly zero about them. I like the anti stall ability, but want an oem feeling lever. Which one of...
I have had the EXP in my CRF450 for 2 years now, and love it. Mostly only trail ride with a few mates these days. The clutch pull feels heavy without the engine running, but can be used with one finger when on the move, and stalling is a thing of the past.
Do yourself a favour, and try one, you won't be disappointed.
hillbilly
8/18/2014 3:43am
resetjet wrote:

I agree,you need to KNOW how the clutch is going to modulate at low rpm to pick the front up in certain situations. The rekluse does not have that feel.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/18/2014 3:56am
yes it does, you need to try the Core EXP, the only differences over a stock clutch is less engine braking, and less stalling. Also in the crf's case less clutch slippage. If it doesn't have the same "grab" as a stock clutch, you need to go to work and change some springs and/or weights.
trb989
8/18/2014 5:27am
I bought EXP 3.0 for my 450 kawi this summer, its the cheaper model that just replaces few of the oem plates, so the lever pull is really stiff, but for me it doesnt matter too much because i dont really need to use it anymore, im riding all the time without a finger on the clutch. Only time i use the lever is if i need to tap brake in the air. I really cant see why more people dont use rekluse. Helps me a lot especially in rutted corners and inside lines since i really dont have to worry about stalling and slipping the clutch with armpump. So much smoother cornering. And i feel like i have more control when im braking because there is no enginebraking, rear suspension soaks up the bumps better.

Post a reply to: Nelson using Rekluse

The Latest