Negative much? MXA sure comes out that way with their 450 shootout

MPJC
Fantasy
704th
1/26/2018 6:41am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 6:42am
There's quite a few people calling MXA biased who seem not to understand what "biased" means. If you use a fair set of criteria, and apply it equally to all of the bikes, then you are not being biased (an unfair, biased criterion would be something like "extra points for being orange"). Is there actual evidence that MXA fails this sort of fairness test? Ironically, those who call them biased are often saying so out of their own biases. At the very least, if they have evidence of bias beyond a mere assertion of "I don't like that" (which, of course, isn't evidence at all), I think any fair-minded person would consider it. It is also perfectly fair-minded to dismiss the "KTM Action" assertions as sheer nonsense (as were the "Honda Action" and "Yamaha Action" assertions when they were making the best bikes and thus winning shootouts).
Moto520
1/26/2018 7:14am
Motocross Action is a great read with good product reports and bike ride reviews. I like how they live long the bikes and find all of the bikes long term flaws. It has been bugging me lately, however, that they are so self conscience of everyone's opinion. They used to not care and do it there way. Now....we get too many words of explanation as to why they are better. Crisis identity???? I still enjoy the magazine as it stands but this is what I've noticed too much of recently.

vetmxr
1/26/2018 7:14am
vetmxr wrote:
I like mxa, and I still believe that MXA is for the mechanically inclined racer as they get into detail about things the others don't seem...
I like mxa, and I still believe that MXA is for the mechanically inclined racer as they get into detail about things the others don't seem to..

I still wonder if all the dudes calling it KTM action has actually ridden a 2018 KTM 450? I have yet to see them be "wrong" about a bike in my eyes. If they say it doesn't turn as well as the others, you can count on that if you buy one.

I always liked their long term reports on bikes also.......nice to see what holds up and what don't. I've found over the years that if a bike wins their shootout.....its a damn good machine.
acres951 wrote:
It’s your opinion but I feel like when you say MXA is for the mechanically inclines reader you haven’t read or listened or watched ML512 or...
It’s your opinion but I feel like when you say MXA is for the mechanically inclines reader you haven’t read or listened or watched ML512 or Keefer’s stuff.
I love it all and have 35 yrs of mx mags in my house, but ML512 and Keefer have provided some pretty amazing insight into the technical side of setup etc. We’re really lucky to get so much if that...for free too.
I have not read them.....I don't buy new bikes every year anymore. If I wanted to be informed, I wouldn't miss anyone's opinion. I'd read them all.
TG130
1/26/2018 11:44pm
mx317 wrote:
Like the avatar oldpro277! I see Turner and Stacey, but not sure on the others. Ogden?
OldPro277 wrote:
Richter and Herrera I believe? I think that pic was taken in late 78 ,not by me,just based on the bikes. I remember the box van...
Richter and Herrera I believe? I think that pic was taken in late 78 ,not by me,just based on the bikes. I remember the box van from the Mid Ohio GP but I'm sure they had more than one. But my memory isnt what it used to be..... (another "old-timers" joke, although true,lol)
The guys in the avatar pic are from L-R : Pat Moroney, Jim Turner, Perry Klassen, Frank Stacy.

The Shop

Whip
Fantasy
3240th
1/27/2018 1:50am
Y'all butthurt because MXA tells it like it is. "Oh no my Yamaha/Honda isn't the best"

I consider them to be the superior review outlet, based on experience and accuracy over time.

Is the KTM the lightest?

is the KTM the fastest?

Does KTM have e-start?

Does KTM have the best brakes?

Get used to it.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
1/27/2018 2:13am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 2:14am
In 1996 I remember waiting for the MXA shootout and I was going to buy the winner. It was the RM250. I tried and tried but couldn't pull the trigger and went for the CR250 instead. The CR was an amazing bike and I raced it until 2002! I do like MXA and I look forward to testing season every year but I think they got it wrong that year. When they mention the best bikes of all time do they ever mention the 96 RM250?
mx317
1/27/2018 4:13am
mx317 wrote:
Like the avatar oldpro277! I see Turner and Stacey, but not sure on the others. Ogden?
OldPro277 wrote:
Richter and Herrera I believe? I think that pic was taken in late 78 ,not by me,just based on the bikes. I remember the box van...
Richter and Herrera I believe? I think that pic was taken in late 78 ,not by me,just based on the bikes. I remember the box van from the Mid Ohio GP but I'm sure they had more than one. But my memory isnt what it used to be..... (another "old-timers" joke, although true,lol)
TG130 wrote:
The guys in the avatar pic are from L-R : Pat Moroney, Jim Turner, Perry Klassen, Frank Stacy.
Thanks, I love that era photos.
H4L
1/27/2018 4:58am
In 1996 I remember waiting for the MXA shootout and I was going to buy the winner. It was the RM250. I tried and tried but...
In 1996 I remember waiting for the MXA shootout and I was going to buy the winner. It was the RM250. I tried and tried but couldn't pull the trigger and went for the CR250 instead. The CR was an amazing bike and I raced it until 2002! I do like MXA and I look forward to testing season every year but I think they got it wrong that year. When they mention the best bikes of all time do they ever mention the 96 RM250?
Agree. The people behind MXA are human & make mistakes like the rest of us.
In 2003 they picked the YZ250 as the #1 spot in the shoot out if I remember right. I ended up buying the CR2 instead that took last place. It turned out to be the best 250 2 stoke owned & still own it today.

I think some red headed kid called RC dominated on the 02/03 CR2's that MXA rated at the bottom of the shoot outs.
ns503
1/27/2018 5:32am
So much irony...
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
1/27/2018 6:43am
I'm not getting the negative. In fact, I think they are quite positive that it takes more than a week to test the bikes fairly and...
I'm not getting the negative. In fact, I think they are quite positive that it takes more than a week to test the bikes fairly and thoroughly. I agree with their approach.
After reading the article, I agree. It seems that they take their time and try to write helpful articles instead of stating the overly obvious year after year.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/27/2018 7:32am
I like to read shootouts from everyone, MXA, VitalMX, TransworldMX, Keefer Testing and RacerX (wait RacerX no longer does them for some reason), et al.

Different riders, different tracks and different testing parameters can move bikes up and down in the test, but shootouts are the best way to have all the bikes together for a back to back comparison.

And MXA is not as late as you say, the 450cc shootout was in the magazine months ago, just that you cheapskates have to wait until it comes out online that have to wait,

OldPro277
1/27/2018 8:17am
TG130 wrote:
Thanks TG, I should have remembered Moroney, but Klassen I would have never guessed. I do remember him on a Maico though
NorCal 50+
1/27/2018 9:00am
Bruce372 wrote:
Yes Virginia

Given our druthers

It should be noted
LaughingLaughingLaughing

You forgot "Whirling Dervish"
Jody and his "old man sayings."

Post a reply to: Negative much? MXA sure comes out that way with their 450 shootout

The Latest