Need vintage silencer identified.

barnett468
Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 7:40pm
This silencer is on a 1980 YZ250 and I would like to know what brand it is. Also, the decal is missing and I would like to try and find one or a photo of one so I can have it replicated. All that is left of the decal is a faint hint of gold on one of the outer edges where the decal used to be. I though that I had seen some gold and black or gold and blue silencer decals years ago and that they might have been DG ones. It looks like the decal was around 2" wide.

Thanks for any help.

https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_kmXPDrJSL3U_1200x900.jpg

|
barnett468
7/25/2018 5:01pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
Pics will help.
yeah, I thought the photo had posted but obviously not. i will give it another try right now. thanks
redman
7/25/2018 5:29pm
This is a moto x fox silencer.

The Shop

barnett468
7/25/2018 5:37pm
redman wrote:
are you 100% certain?

any idea what the decal looked like or any photos of it?
stillwelding
7/25/2018 6:38pm
barnett468 wrote:
This silencer is on a 1980 YZ250 and I would like to know what brand it is. Also, the decal is missing and I would like...
This silencer is on a 1980 YZ250 and I would like to know what brand it is. Also, the decal is missing and I would like to try and find one or a photo of one so I can have it replicated. All that is left of the decal is a faint hint of gold on one of the outer edges where the decal used to be. I though that I had seen some gold and black or gold and blue silencer decals years ago and that they might have been DG ones. It looks like the decal was around 2" wide.

Thanks for any help.

Looks like Answer, to me. I welded hundreds of those. The brace at the body to silencer tube and the hanger look familiar. I saw Fred Hobblit bend thousands of those, one at a time in a vice with serrated vice jaws, look for the marks. The ind cap doesn’t look right though, especially those giant fasteners. I helped develop that can when Bassett was the shit. I worked at a telephone equipment company, and brought in PEM nuts to hold on the end cap, so it was easy to re-stuff the packing. Ed Arnet’s dad was a tool and die maker and made the tooling for the end cap to be punched out.
TXDirt
7/25/2018 6:42pm
Those bolts do not look like part of the original fabrication. I think that's obvious.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
7/25/2018 6:45pm
redman wrote:
Fox made motorcycle parts? Fox the gear brand or Fox the suspension brand?
stillwelding
7/25/2018 6:48pm
This is the second Answer Products logo, the first one, was an orange and white with black outline (can’t find that one
). This second logo was by the late great David Dahlm, who went on to do the famous Maico, checkerboard infinity background ads. He also did the, double vertical designs for Wardy’s riding gear in the early 80’s. He, unfortunately passed in a street bike accident.

barnett468
7/25/2018 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 7:00pm
barnett468 wrote:
This silencer is on a 1980 YZ250 and I would like to know what brand it is. Also, the decal is missing and I would like...

Thanks for any help.

Looks like Answer, to me. I welded hundreds of those. The brace at the body to silencer tube and the hanger look familiar. I saw Fred...
Looks like Answer, to me. I welded hundreds of those. The brace at the body to silencer tube and the hanger look familiar. I saw Fred Hobblit bend thousands of those, one at a time in a vice with serrated vice jaws, look for the marks. The ind cap doesn’t look right though, especially those giant fasteners. I helped develop that can when Bassett was the shit. I worked at a telephone equipment company, and brought in PEM nuts to hold on the end cap, so it was easy to re-stuff the packing. Ed Arnet’s dad was a tool and die maker and made the tooling for the end cap to be punched out.
im 99% certain the end cap is original. it had slotted hex head sheet metal screws in it when I got the bike and the holes in the body were stripped so i installed larger phillips head screws. it may very well have had rivets in it originally.

there are no vice grip marks on that brace and that brace is also the same style dg used on some of their silencers.

OldYZRider1
7/25/2018 7:10pm
1981 models had aluminum silencers if I remember right; not sure of the shape though.
barnett468
7/25/2018 7:13pm
ok, I googled "vintage answer silencer" and found this for a 1981/1982 honda cr. the end cone is 100% identical to mine, so I think the riddle has been solved thanks to the people that suggested it might be an answr silencer and many thanks to others that offered suggestions. now, i'm still thinking the decal might have had a gold metallic background based upon the residue that is still on the silencer, however, that could be the left over glue. anyone know if answer ever had a decal with gold metallic on it?

thanks very much to everyone once again.

stillwelding
7/25/2018 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2018 7:17pm
barnett468 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Looks like Answer, to me. I welded hundreds of those. The brace at the body to silencer tube and the hanger look familiar. I saw Fred...
barnett468 wrote:
im 99% certain the end cap is original. it had slotted hex head sheet metal screws in it when I got the bike and the holes...
im 99% certain the end cap is original. it had slotted hex head sheet metal screws in it when I got the bike and the holes in the body were stripped so i installed larger phillips head screws. it may very well have had rivets in it originally.

there are no vice grip marks on that brace and that brace is also the same style dg used on some of their silencers.

Post a reply to: Need vintage silencer identified.

The Latest