Need to rethink Southwick practice schedule

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/8/2017 9:37am
This is the only race in the series where people WANT to be in the B practice.

I talked to a couple privateers yesterday who were bummed that they were in the A practice.

BUT...this is really the ONLY track on the circuit where fast local guys will land themselves in the top ten in practice times.
7/8/2017 9:39am
One thing everyone has to remember; time schedule. One day format, with 4 hours carved out for the real racing and broadcast time. Everyone also wants 125 dream race + qualifiers + practice + track grooming + wiener dog races...can't have it all. There's only so many hours in the morning to setup for practice and more.

Only counting times from one practice is sketchy because if you have a mechanical/poor setup, you are SOL.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/8/2017 10:08am
HHR21 wrote:
I think that having the B 450 group first is not fair to all the riders that ride the whole series. Especially the privateers. I mean...
I think that having the B 450 group first is not fair to all the riders that ride the whole series. Especially the privateers. I mean to have Ryan Dowd post a lap time of 208.9 on his 2nd lap, puts him in 7th. Ahead of Josh Grant. Seely and a host of other great riders, factory riders.
I am not taking anything away from Ryan, But riders like John Short that have been in the top 20 at most of the races is 6 seconds slower because the track is beat?
I know FLAME on, this is my first post, but been in this industry for a minute.

Shaun Martin
Well if you have been "in the industry for a minute" then you should have know better then to post this drivel.Wink

RG1
7/8/2017 4:12pm
I agree with you. I've always found the method of practice in the Nationals kind of weird. On some tracks it doesn't matter so much when you go out on track, but tracks like Southwick, the guys who go out first have a huge advantage. I know you can't have everyone out on track at the same time, because there would be far too many riders, but they could split it differently. For example, still split both classes into 2 groups, but do it on championship position. So championship leader goes in group 1, 2nd in points to group 2 etc. then take 18 from each group, 4 from consolation race. That way, it doesn't matter when you go out on track, you're only competing against those who are on the track at the same time as you

The Shop

Mx286
7/8/2017 4:27pm
I don't understand why someone would have a problem with the privateers finally getting a small advantage?????? The fast guys from the A group will always make the show so what's wrong with a few locals and others getting a good qualifying position??
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
7/8/2017 4:31pm
Dowd was running in the teens during actual motos, well deserved.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
7/8/2017 5:40pm
Mx286 wrote:
I don't understand why someone would have a problem with the privateers finally getting a small advantage?????? The fast guys from the A group will always...
I don't understand why someone would have a problem with the privateers finally getting a small advantage?????? The fast guys from the A group will always make the show so what's wrong with a few locals and others getting a good qualifying position??
The issue isn't for the factory guys, it's the privateers that follow the whole series and are in the 15-40th range that are seeded in the A practice, they are the ones that are getting bumped out by the local hero in the B practice on a smooth track.

No sad feelings for a factory guy not making the show with all of their advantages.
Kawi15
7/8/2017 5:48pm
Its not like any of the factory riders or those who are top 20 most weekends are not able to make the main because of a B practice session on a smooth track. So what if some of those in the B qualifier can go faster in first practice then the fifth practice. Those locals who are running those times, really are that good on that track. The smooth track is not as much of an advantage as it may appear as it takes a bit of flat track skill for them to log those times without much for ruts or berms in the corners. The thing they have to deal with next is the difference in the way the track shapes up from the first qualifier, to the fifth and then the moto. That track is constantly changing from lap to lap and its quite possible that the second, third, and fourth practices are actually better and easier to go fast on then the first one for most riders. Not to mention that if for some it is an advantage because of flat track skills and setups, then all it serves to do is help neutralize the "factory advantage" the factory riders have in bikes and setups. Because nobody can argue that those factory riders dont have a bike advantage over the privateers. And dont think I am against one guy having an advantage because of bike or setup. Its racing.

Post a reply to: Need to rethink Southwick practice schedule

The Latest